Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will gasoline hit $6.00 or more a gallon?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      10-10-2012 05:03 AM #71
      I've seen premium for $4.99 multiple places in LA. And "premium" here is only 91 octane
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-10-2012 05:41 AM #72
      It's $4.40, $4.70, and $4.90 for the least expensive premium brand Diesel, regular, and premium here, today. Love my TDI.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      10-10-2012 07:40 AM #73
      We ticked down another 10 cents a gallon here in Vermont ($3.7X)... glad to see other states aren't using California's local pinch as an excuse to raise everyone's prices (which is what I expected them to do).

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      10-10-2012 07:57 AM #74
      I honestly couldn't tell you what gas costs here right now. I haven't looked at the price in a couple years. It doesn't matter. I need gas, I pull into a Shell station and buy it. Gas is part of the cost of living.

For what it's worth, I'm shopping around to trade my hybrid on a 5.0 v8 car.

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-10-2012 08:00 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post
      I know, diesel went from 4.35 to 4.37 overnight

Its times like these that i'm glad i have diesel.
      Hold on. So the price per gallon went up 2 cents last night and youre happy you have a diesel? When youre paying, on average of this thread, 50 to 60 cents more per gallon than someone using regular, youre really not saving having a diesel.

10-10-2012 08:43 AM #76
      I live in MN where the price has bounced around anywhere from $2.80-$4.00 in the past year. Personally, I think in some states/areas where the cost of living is higher, gas prices could certainly hit $6/gallon because it would be far more socially acceptable than gas hitting $6/gallon in areas that have a low cost of living. However, I do believe there will come a time when gas becomes so expensive, that some people will simply not be able to afford to drive to work or school. For single parent families commuting, its not crazy to think they might spend $5,000-$6,000 a year in fuel. I know all the wealthy car lounge folks here probably don't have a problem with that, but for a young single person such as myself with an average job, after rent, car payment and food, there's not much left.

Hopefully it never comes to that, but I foresee some serious economic issues brewing around fuel costs.
      Quote Originally Posted by CK98Beeetle View Post
      so if I release a sex tape of myself, do absolutely nothing, and get famous along with my family for doing absolutely nothing, I can afford a new Ferrari? USA! USA! USA!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      10-10-2012 10:47 AM #77
      are americans moving back into apartments in cities/closer to work? or is the "american dream" (read endless debt) still fueling suburban sprawl? gas prices will keep going up since u dont have an economy capable of backing up gas price reduction
      Quote Originally Posted by SuperGroove View Post
      "...you see an RX-8 has a rotary engine! Do you know what a rotary engine is? Well, the reason why I'm filling oil into my engine is...hello? where'd you go? It's injected into the combustion chamber and it LUBRICATES THE SEALS! IT LUBRICATES THE SEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALS"

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      10-10-2012 10:55 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      ...an economy capable of backing up gas price reduction

Can you please explain what this means? I don't follow.
      Rest easy, Bart.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      10-10-2012 11:01 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      They are training us like dogs. Next time they need a quarterly boost in revenue - bam, sudden increase for a couple of weeks. And no one will be shocked.
      Yep. You might not like being in the crate all day but eventually you'll learn to accept it without bitching.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      10-10-2012 11:05 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Can you please explain what this means? I don't follow.
      what can america offer in exchange for cheaper energy? why would oil companies lower gas prices when the demand is still high as hell? a growing economy would at least show potential for profits in the long run, so lowering of energy prices would be justifiable.
      "...you see an RX-8 has a rotary engine! Do you know what a rotary engine is? Well, the reason why I'm filling oil into my engine is...hello? where'd you go? It's injected into the combustion chamber and it LUBRICATES THE SEALS! IT LUBRICATES THE SEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALS"

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 11:12 AM #81
      what can america offer in exchange for cheaper energy? why would oil companies lower gas prices when the demand is still high as hell? a growing economy would at least show potential for profits in the long run, so lowering of energy prices would be justifiable.
      So, are you saying that a recessionary or stagnant economy results in high demand? And that a growing economy would result in lower demand?
      Rest easy, Bart.

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      10-10-2012 11:12 AM #82
      ill tell you this much
      when was hurricane catrina? 2005?
      well back then i lived in New York, was driving 2003 Chevy Impala
      and due to all the refineries being shut down by the hurricane
      i paid $6.00 (few cents over, dont remember exact amount) back in 2005.
      yes it only lasted for a week or two, but if $6 was possible back in 2005, then it wont be anything new today.

just checked my FUELLY
      i bought my '10 GOLF TDI in June 2010
      the lowest i paid for D2 was $2.99 in July 2010
      the highers was $4.69 in April 2011 $6 is not that far off

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      10-10-2012 11:15 AM #83
      why would oil companies lower gas prices when the demand is still high as hell?
      us oil demand has actually been dropping the past couple of years (read: huuge recession)

14. 10-10-2012 11:21 AM #84
      Highest I saw for 93 this morning was $3.79.
      89 is around $3.47

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      10-10-2012 11:23 AM #85
      does recession = lower demand? if so, has anything gotten cheaper???? why would price of any commodity not follow the supply-demand principle?

16. 10-10-2012 11:35 AM #86

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      10-10-2012 11:37 AM #87
      does recession = lower demand? if so, has anything gotten cheaper???? why would price of any commodity not follow the supply-demand principle?
      Because the supply is controlled by a cartel (collusion, manipulation) and exploited by commodity traders.

Standard "supply and demand" rules simply do not apply to oil. There is an excess of oil on the market right now (has been for quite some time), yet prices are at historic highs.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 11:41 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Because the supply is controlled by a cartel (collusion, manipulation) and exploited by commodity traders.

Standard "supply and demand" rules simply do not apply to oil. There is an excess of oil on the market right now (has been for quite some time), yet prices are at historic highs.
      Exactly. In terms of oil, supply and demand can be manufactured. In a recession, the demand for goods and services drops. Oil does not fall into that category.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 11:43 AM #89
      I think I see a contradiction in your statement. The Law of Supply and Demand dictates that prices rise with demand. What gets missed is when supplies fall, prices also rise. That's the simple definition.

The US, and CA most acutely, is currently having supply issues with gasoline. The reasons for which I won't debate because I'm just plain tired of arguing with the tinfoil crowd. What we can agree on is a lack of supply, either through refinery issues and regulation, or a perceived lack of supply through corporate evil-doer machinations.

Right now the volatility of gasoline prices isn't really correlated to crude oil, like it was in 2008-2010. In 2008, WTIC prices peaked at $145/ barrel. The average price of gasoline at that time was about $4/ gallon.

Today, the price of crude is about $93 while, nationally, gas prices are just under that record average of 2008.

I can promise you this. The commodity prices for oil and gas aren't going to drop in a thriving, high growth, high demand economy.
      Last edited by Seabird; 10-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.
      Rest easy, Bart.

20. 10-10-2012 11:48 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by FlybyGLI View Post
      Personally, I think in some states/areas where the cost of living is higher, gas prices could certainly hit $6/gallon because it would be far more socially acceptable than gas hitting $6/gallon in areas that have a low cost of living. However, I do believe there will come a time when gas becomes so expensive, that some people will simply not be able to afford to drive to work or school.

Hopefully it never comes to that, but I foresee some serious economic issues brewing around fuel costs.
      Actually when there was that price spike in the summer of 2008 (i.e., when West Texas Intermediate @ Cushing, OK hit $145/bbl) when employees in rural MS & AL stopped showing up for work because the price of gas to drive to work made it not worth going to their jobs (the employers had to arrange a bus to pick them up.) Of course, these folks, making wage and commuting long distances (and typically in gas guzzling beater cars), were the most sensitive to the price of gasoline - but yes eventually the high price of gasoline will force prices for a lot of things higher, causing bug disruptions.

21. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      10-10-2012 12:09 PM #91
      i said US demand was lower but im not sure that thats the case wordwide... and as we know this is a global commodity and isnt just priced here based on our own demand of it. (something that the Drill Here, Drill Now idiots fail to realize...)

22. 10-10-2012 12:10 PM #92
      Last time I was in Helsinki, gas was 1.65 € a liter which is about 6.25 € a gallon. That's about 8.05 USD a gallon. People in the US are spoiled and have no idea what things really cost.

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      10-10-2012 12:13 PM #93
      I always figured its a corporate conspiracy. We are paying more for gas now at $100 a barrel then we were paying at $140 a barrel - and oil companies are seeing great profit margins. There is more to it than the government. It's all about the oil companies controlling prices
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 12:15 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      Last time I was in Helsinki, gas was 1.65 € a liter which is about 6.25 € a gallon. That's about 8.05 USD a gallon. People in the US are spoiled and have no idea what things really cost.

This argument always inevitably gets made in these threads and I never understood why. What makes Finland the benchmark for any household costs compared to the US or the rest of the world?
      Rest easy, Bart.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      10-10-2012 12:20 PM #95

The US, and CA most acutely, is currently having supply issues with gasoline.
      CA sure, but isn't the US is a net exporter of gasoline now? AFAIK there is no supply issue nationally.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 12:24 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      i said US demand was lower but im not sure that thats the case wordwide... and as we know this is a global commodity and isnt just priced here based on our own demand of it. (something that the Drill Here, Drill Now idiots fail to realize...)
      What?? You mean we arent the only country on earth with cars?

China is growing to demand more fuel that we are. Their emerging middle class is HUGE

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 12:28 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      CA sure, but isn't the US is a net exporter of gasoline now? AFAIK there is no supply issue nationally.
      Last year, yes, but I'm not sure about this year. I'm not saying no, I'm saying that I don't know. I haven't seen recent data on it. I wasn't referring to, or trying to imply that there is, a major national disruption. Just the standard seasonal cycle of switching to the winter blend and the very complex logistical reroutes of refined product to the West Coast. There have also been some recent plant shutdowns on the eastern seaboard that created price pressures on the downstream market.

I am trying really hard not to get into the technical details because that's when I have to endure the trolls who want to attack me for being some kind of Big Oil Insider. I'm so tired of those fights. That's why I'm not responding to the crazy stuff being posted right now.
      Rest easy, Bart.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV, Aircooled Bug
      10-10-2012 12:29 PM #98
      does recession = lower demand? if so, has anything gotten cheaper????
      Have you looked at housing prices over the past couple of years?

29. 10-10-2012 12:39 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      People in the US are spoiled and have no idea what things really cost.
      I never understand this claim. Sure, our gas is cheap because there's little taxes on it. I think if you strip taxes from it, both sides are probably close to being equal.

With that said, my wife and I pay $400 a month for health insurance. I would never say "people in Finland are spoiled because their healthcare is free".

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      10-10-2012 12:40 PM #100
      Last year, yes, but I'm not sure about this year. I'm not saying no, I'm saying that I don't know. I haven't seen recent data on it. I wasn't referring to, or trying to imply that there is, a major national disruption. Just the standard seasonal cycle of switching to the winter blend and the very complex logistical reroutes of refined product to the West Coast. There have also been some recent plant shutdowns on the eastern seaboard that created price pressures on the downstream market.

I am trying really hard not to get into the technical details because that's when I have to endure the trolls who want to attack me for being some kind of Big Oil Insider. I'm so tired of those fights. That's why I'm not responding to the crazy stuff being posted right now.
      Understood.

10-10-2012 01:01 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Hold on. So the price per gallon went up 2 cents last night and youre happy you have a diesel? When youre paying, on average of this thread, 50 to 60 cents more per gallon than someone using regular, youre really not saving having a diesel.
      Yup, go look up the average in california.
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: Porsche Wintercults | MK3.5 Mirrors

32. 10-10-2012 01:07 PM #102
      California takes wraps off dirtier, "winter" gasoline to ease prices

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/09...e-ease-prices/

33. 10-10-2012 01:10 PM #103
      This argument always inevitably gets made in these threads and I never understood why. What makes Finland the benchmark for any household costs compared to the US or the rest of the world?
      Since Americans want everything the EU has like universal health care...wait wrong topic.

Choose any EU country and their gas will be higher. The only western countries with low gas prices are the US and Canada.

34. 10-10-2012 01:12 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      I never understand this claim. Sure, our gas is cheap because there's little taxes on it. I think if you strip taxes from it, both sides are probably close to being equal.

With that said, my wife and I pay $400 a month for health insurance. I would never say "people in Finland are spoiled because their healthcare is free".
      oh I know full weel about the EU's taxes on gas. Just making saying that gas is still cheap.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-10-2012 01:14 PM #105
      My fill-up this morning, Hollywood (as can be seen by blurry Hollywood sign in background). This is for Premium, which is 91.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast