Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Results 106 to 126 of 126

    Thread: Will gasoline hit $6.00 or more a gallon?

    1. 10-10-2012 02:23 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      My fill-up this morning, Hollywood (as can be seen by blurry Hollywood sign in background). This is for Premium, which is 91.
      Vadim, your phone sucks. lol

    2. Member choochoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      OC, CA
      Posts
      6,837
      Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-10-2012 02:26 PM #107
      damnit, my low fuel light just went on
      FWIW, it's supposed to go back down in the next few days. Gov Jerry ordered the "winter blend" to be sold.

    3. Member Seabird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      16,085
      Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      10-10-2012 02:28 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      Since Americans want everything the EU has like universal health care...wait wrong topic.

      Choose any EU country and their gas will be higher. The only western countries with low gas prices are the US and Canada.
      I think that the US and and Canada are among the highest in either of the Americas. A lot south and central American countries (Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela) heavily subsidize the cost of gas and diesel. The average price in MX is $3.01 from what I just looked up.

      So let me rephrase the question. What makes the EU a benchmark for "real costs" across the globe? Their prices aren't really a reflection of any accurate market trends.
      Last edited by Seabird; 10-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.
      Rest easy, Bart.

    4. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      The Gamecocks suck this year
      Posts
      13,640
      10-10-2012 02:30 PM #109
      I don't think it will hit $6.00 here. It was only 3.44 here today.

    5. Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      17,277
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-10-2012 02:32 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      Vadim, your phone sucks. lol
      That was super-zoomed-in, since I was too lazy to walk to the sign .

      Note the super-amazing quality of the camera and its ability to capture scribbled and scratched graffiti in pic 2.

      This was the actual distance to the sign :

      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    6. 10-10-2012 02:34 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I think that the US and and Canada are among the highest in either of the Americas. A lot south and central American countries (Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela) heavily subsidize the cost of gas and diesel. The average price in MX is $3.01 from what I just looked up.

      So let me rephrase the question. What makes the EU a benchmark for "real costs" across the globe? Their prices aren't really a reflection of any accurate market trends.
      Did you realize that there is something that makes those countries (Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela) unique? There is a reason they can subsidize the price of gas and oil. As you said, "Their prices aren't really a reflection of any accurate market trends."

    7. 10-10-2012 02:37 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      That was super-zoomed-in, since I was too lazy to walk to the sign .

      Note the super-amazing quality of the camera and its ability to capture scribbled and scratched graffiti in pic 2.

      This was the actual distance to the sign :
      lol did you leave your mark?

    8. Member Seabird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      16,085
      Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      10-10-2012 02:39 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      Did you realize that there is something that makes those countries (Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela) unique? There is a reason they can subsidize the price of gas and oil. As you said, "Their prices aren't really a reflection of any accurate market trends."
      Yes. Because they produce a lot. So does the US now. Did you know that we're actually on track to become a net producer very soon?

      EU pricing is the flip side of the same coin. The taxation applied to the cost of gas at the pump is the reason for what they pay. You acknowledged that.

      But you didn't answer my question. What makes their prices a benchmark for "real costs"? Those were your words. You said that Americans don't know what things "really cost" based on what you saw in Finland.
      Rest easy, Bart.

    9. 10-10-2012 02:46 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Yes. Because they produce a lot. So does the US now. Did you know that we're actually on track to become a net producer very soon?

      EU pricing is the flip side of the same coin. The taxation applied to the cost of gas at the pump is the reason for what they pay. You acknowledged that.

      But you didn't answer my question. What makes their prices a benchmark for "real costs"? Those were your words. You said that Americans don't know what things "really cost" based on what you saw in Finland.
      It's a net sum. Americans see things in a vacuum. You will never be able to separate gas wholly to compare it to another place. You have to take into account other variables as well. Yes, our gas is cheaper in the US, but we pay of health care and education. In Europe they pay more, but have more benefits. It's not a grass is greener situation. I should probably have said more in my first post.

    10. 10-10-2012 02:49 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      oh I know full weel about the EU's taxes on gas. Just making saying that gas is still cheap.
      Okay, so why even say it? Finland could have cheap gas if it wanted it, could they not?

      Your statement was made in a tone and context as if Americans shouldn't be upset about gas prices because gas is cheap. It's cheap, but we have to pay out the a$$ for other things. I already told you much I pay for insurance...you want to know how much my boss pays for insurance: $1400 a month, for him, his wife and 3 girls. All are healthy and have no health issues. Ironically, his wife works at a hospital and gets a supposed break on insurance.

      I know outsiders think that America is a country where everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth, but let me say that most people do not live that way. Many people have it rough right now. I would even argue that a lot of Americans have it harder than many Europeans, because of the lack of social safety nets.

    11. Member Seabird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      16,085
      Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      10-10-2012 02:55 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      It's a net sum. Americans see things in a vacuum. You will never be able to separate gas wholly to compare it to another place. You have to take into account other variables as well. Yes, our gas is cheaper in the US, but we pay of health care and education. In Europe they pay more, but have more benefits. It's not a grass is greener situation. I should probably have said more in my first post.

      Fair enough.
      Rest easy, Bart.

    12. Member choochoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      OC, CA
      Posts
      6,837
      Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-10-2012 06:53 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      That was super-zoomed-in, since I was too lazy to walk to the sign .

      Note the super-amazing quality of the camera and its ability to capture scribbled and scratched graffiti in pic 2.

      This was the actual distance to the sign :

      I beat you.

      what do I win?

    13. Member 2000JettaGLXVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      9,283
      Vehicles
      65 Volvo 1800S, 12 GLI Autobahn
      10-10-2012 06:59 PM #118
      The $5+ gas station photos in California they're been blanketing across the news are the exception (rich areas like San Francisco and West LA). Regular is $4.55 where I'm at in Ventura and the San Fernando Valley. Big deal, an extra $8 to drive 350 miles. That's 0.023/mile

    14. Member choochoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      OC, CA
      Posts
      6,837
      Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-10-2012 07:01 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      The $5+ gas station photos in California they're been blanketing across the news are the exception (rich areas like San Francisco and West LA). Regular is $4.55 where I'm at in Ventura and the San Fernando Valley. Big deal, an extra $8 to drive 350 miles. That's 0.023/mile
      you don't use 91?

    15. Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      17,277
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-10-2012 07:04 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      The $5+ gas station photos in California they're been blanketing across the news are the exception (rich areas like San Francisco and West LA). Regular is $4.55 where I'm at in Ventura and the San Fernando Valley. Big deal, an extra $8 to drive 350 miles. That's 0.023/mile
      Look up. We're close elsewhere, aside from Ventura, I guess .

      9 days ago, I filled up for $4.119. This morning, $4.899. At 17.6 gallons, that's $13.77. Not an insignificant amount, especially 4 times a month.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    16. Member phil123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2009
      Location
      Irvine, CA
      Posts
      6,414
      10-10-2012 07:15 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      The $5+ gas station photos in California they're been blanketing across the news are the exception (rich areas like San Francisco and West LA). Regular is $4.55 where I'm at in Ventura and the San Fernando Valley. Big deal, an extra $8 to drive 350 miles. That's 0.023/mile

      That gas station on PCH in Malibu is probably over $5, everytime i'm up there i'm amazed how high that gas station is compared to LA, OC, etc...
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

      FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

    17. Member AHFlynn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2008
      Location
      UConn Country
      Posts
      3,677
      10-10-2012 07:43 PM #122
      wait till india and china get rolling. over one billion people each, rapidly industrializing, everybody wanting an american lifestyle.

      i dont think it will be long before all cars are electric
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

    18. Member phil123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2009
      Location
      Irvine, CA
      Posts
      6,414
      10-10-2012 08:21 PM #123
      08/10 $4.19
      08/18 $4.29
      08/24 $4.35
      10/10 $4.35


      I like where this is headed

      *Diesel Prices
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

      FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

    19. Member AHFlynn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2008
      Location
      UConn Country
      Posts
      3,677
      10-10-2012 10:33 PM #124
      also, just fyi, it doesnt matter where gas is drilled, refined or whatever. theres no law saying that oil drilled somewhere has to stay in the country so there isnt a surplus that drives the cost down when a country produces more oil.

      creating a law that would do that would certainly help make us energy independent but also wouldnt help bring prices down. you think oil companies are dumb enough to accidentally bring too much oil to market? narrrrpp. and even if they did they could just store it or move it somewhere else.

      if i recall correctly, Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) somewhat recently sponsored a bill to keep oil drilled in the US within the US but who knows where that is. seems like a bipartisan no brainer but with all the members of congress bankrolled by the energy industry and multitudes of different lobbying groups who knows if itll ever see the light of day.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      16,483
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-10-2012 11:25 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      also, just fyi, it doesnt matter where gas is drilled, refined or whatever. theres no law saying that oil drilled somewhere has to stay in the country so there isnt a surplus that drives the cost down when a country produces more oil.

      creating a law that would do that would certainly help make us energy independent but also wouldnt help bring prices down. you think oil companies are dumb enough to accidentally bring too much oil to market? narrrrpp. and even if they did they could just store it or move it somewhere else.

      if i recall correctly, Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) somewhat recently sponsored a bill to keep oil drilled in the US within the US but who knows where that is. seems like a bipartisan no brainer but with all the members of congress bankrolled by the energy industry and multitudes of different lobbying groups who knows if itll ever see the light of day.
      We export about half as much oil as we import.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

    21. Member Seabird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      16,085
      Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      10-10-2012 11:36 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      We export about half as much oil as we import.
      There are a lot of people who think that might be changing very soon. With NG prices sitting on the floor, E&P companies currently exploiting hydraulic fracturing plays are starting to focus on oil again. Prices need to stay around $100 for that to be worthwhile though.
      Rest easy, Bart.

    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •