Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Secondary fuel pump install

1. 10-07-2012 11:45 AM #1
      Trying to find some info on the install and can't seem to find anything. I'm wondering where I should mount it, and what all is going to be involved in the process. Any insight would be appreciated.

Vehicles
      04' GTI 1.8T, 00' TT225, 91' GTi 16v
      10-07-2012 12:08 PM #2
      My friend Jeff's writeup is pretty good:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-easy-steps%29

You're going to need to modify it a little for the TT. Personally I use the built in SAI relay re-wired to turn on with the ignition. If you'd like to do this I can explain further.
      -Doug

3. 10-07-2012 02:16 PM #3
      Yeah, pretty straightforward! Two wires on an ignition switched signal and a dedicated relay for safety. You just cut the feed line and stick the pump in there (proper orientation please).

4. 10-08-2012 09:49 PM #4
      I've seen quite a few pics of people mounting them in the engine bay. I know it's a not the best place in a collision, but it sure does make it an easy install. Someone talk me out if installing it near the charge pipe..

Vehicles
      04' GTI 1.8T, 00' TT225, 91' GTi 16v
      10-09-2012 08:40 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
      I've seen quite a few pics of people mounting them in the engine bay. I know it's a not the best place in a collision, but it sure does make it an easy install. Someone talk me out if installing it near the charge pipe..
      There really isn't another place to install it unless you relocate the fuel filter to in the bay and wire it in all the way back there.

Most of the VW community has them under the hood. If you were to get in a crash and the fuel lines were smashed or pump was smashed where the fuel lines were sitting-which do you think would break and leak first? Aluminum pump or rubber lines?
      -Doug

6. 10-09-2012 08:54 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DougLoBue View Post
      There really isn't another place to install it unless you relocate the fuel filter to in the bay and wire it in all the way back there.

Most of the VW community has them under the hood. If you were to get in a crash and the fuel lines were smashed or pump was smashed where the fuel lines were sitting-which do you think would break and leak first? Aluminum pump or rubber lines?
      I agree!

Cliffsnotes version would be "inside the outer boundary of the crumple zone".

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      10-09-2012 08:56 AM #7
      No problem mounting it under the hood. If you hit something hard enough to do enough damage to the fuel pump to be an issue, you already have lots of issues at that point. Safest bet would be under the frame rail, but do what you are comfortable with.

8. 10-09-2012 07:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      No problem mounting it under the hood. If you hit something hard enough to do enough damage to the fuel pump to be an issue, you already have lots of issues at that point. Safest bet would be under the frame rail, but do what you are comfortable with.
      This was my thought. If I bury it deep inside the area that would crumple, would be more toward the outside of the unibody. After all, there are already fuel lines with in less than a foot.