Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 91 jetta no spark

1. Member
      10-07-2012 12:07 PM #1
      So my car was running great up tell last week when she left me stranded at work anyway havent been able to get her started since. Im not getting any kind of spark not even when key is first turned on we have tested for spark from the coil nothing so we checked with meter to see if it was getting power it was so we checked to see if the dizzy was getting power at the hall sender it was so next i tried a different coil and ignition module still know spark so we got a hold of a good dizzy hooked up the new dizzy to the harness and spun it by hand still no spark my friend said the ecu is bad. So i went to europro to talk with the guys there the owner came out and said that the ecu doesnt control spark in these things. So now im like wtf do i do now im gonna do megasquirt but dont have the funds at the moment and this is my daily driver so i would love to get her back on the road without a tow chain lol and before you say check ignition switch i know its not that lol ive seen these go bad and know what they do lol make you do this

2. Member
      10-07-2012 01:06 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by cybersmoke View Post
      . . . my friend said the ecu is bad. So i went to europro to talk with the guys there the owner came out and said that the ecu doesnt control spark in these things.
      I for one would really like for you to go back to this "Europro" place and ask them a simple question. What does control the spark then? The ignition distributor? Nope. The ignition control module? Again nope. What's left then, the wiring? Ask them just why two of the three Hall sender wires, third one being a ground, run into the Digifant ECU then. I'm not going to sit here and say your ECU is bad because there could be something else going on here, but you seem to have replaced all parts but the wiring and ECU. Just really curious as to what the "pros" at Europro say controls the ignition.

3. Member
      10-07-2012 01:22 PM #3
      I was thinking the samething lol so is there anyway of checking to see if the ecu is telling the ignition to fire??? I get power on the outer terminals of the dizzy with power on

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      10-07-2012 03:29 PM #4
      Did you verify the dizzy works? If so, have you verified the wiring is still good? Sometimes 20+ yr old wiring can be tricky. Spinning the dizzy is a good test, you should also hear the injectors fire, I use the same test for checking dizzies for my MS. (I recently had a hall sender fail and since they are no longer available, I am buying used dizzies at the pick and pull.)

And as for "Europro", seems the smart one was at lunch. And you might get better info on here.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)