Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Aftermarket speakers

1. Semi-n00b
      10-07-2012 02:57 PM #1
      hi, I'm looking to buy aftermarket speaker for all of the doors in my car. can anyone tell me the actual size of the speaker in the doors? Thank you.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Horse drawn buggy
      10-07-2012 11:54 PM #2
      What year is it? They are 6 1/2" mid bass but the fronts I believe are 8ohm and the rear 4ohm or vice versa. From what I've read a co-ax will sound like poop. If you are just wanting to replace with stock make sure you get the right speaker for either front or rear.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      10-08-2012 08:30 AM #3
      The speakers are not actually a standard fit. The woofers are approximately 6.5", but not all speakers listed as 6.5" will fit. Best to use a compatibility guide, like the one at Crutchfield.com.

Aside from physical fit, it's pretty complex to get aftermarket speakers working right in these cars. The impedance IS different front-to-rear, but the fronts are 4 Ohm and the rears 2.

If you have the standard system, the signal is fed to the the woofer, which has a built-in crossover to feed the tweeter at the top of the door. If you have the premium Monsoon system, it's bi-amped, with a separate signal feeding the woofer and tweeter. Either way, you can't just replace a driver and expect it to sound right. (Granted, some people some combinations of "incorrect" pleasing, but it's not accurate sound)

If you MUST, for some reason, use aftermarket speakers, you pretty much have to replace them all, either installing coaxials and disabling the existing tweeters; or install components (and crossovers).

If Monsoon, you have to replace the amplifier as well, because the amp is calibrated to the response of the Monsoon speakers - won't sound right with others.

Now- WHY do you want to replace your speakers? The existing system is actually pretty good...

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      10-08-2012 08:37 AM #4
      On the standard system, I think all four low drivers are 4 ohm. On the Monsoon system, the front two are 4 ohm and the rear two are 2 ohm.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      10-08-2012 08:40 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
      On the standard system, I think all four low drivers are 4 ohm. On the Monsoon system, the front two are 4 ohm and the rear two are 2 ohm.
      You're right, I misspoke; I have Monsoon. I presume the Monsoon uses the lower rear impedance to punch up the rear bass for a (mostly unsuccessful) "subwoofer" effect.

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      10-08-2012 09:32 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      I presume the Monsoon uses the lower rear impedance to punch up the rear bass for a (mostly unsuccessful) "subwoofer" effect.
      For the sake of "interesting"... The premium sound system in my Grand Cherokee uses the front door low drivers for the really low frequencies. The back door low drivers are used as mid's. The opposite of the way the Monsoon system is set up. Personally, I think the lows should be located in the back doors.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality