Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: BIKE UPGRADE: Alternatives to TriCross/Secteur/CrossRip?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-07-2012 03:33 PM #1
      My daughter is outgrowing her youth bike and I was going to give her my urban/city bike (Marin Point Reyes) that I have been using the past couple of years to commute to work/recreation (i.e. That's my lame excuse for wanting to buy another bike. ).

Although I like my city bike, I now have the bug and want to upgrade. I bought the Marin on sale for $500 in 2009 and was looking to get something under $1500 firm (i.e. $1500 is plenty for my level of riding.).

MY RIDING:
      a) Work Commute = 11 miles through suburbia of Metro Detroit... mainly older suburbs (Warren & Pontiac) with broken roads and sidewalks. Cracks, rutts, etc. abound with each route (about ~40% of the ride) and even the sidewalks are uneven, cracked (sometimes I take the sidewalks as the road might be worse).
      b) Recreation = Paved or crush limestone trails/roads. No rougher than that.

MY CRITERIA:
      a) <$1500
      b) Disc brakes
      c) No suspension (I don't want that mass.), but I'd prefer a frame that is forgiving for my commuting. I'm not sure of all of the types of frames out there, but I presume different architectures = varying degrees of stiffness.
      d) I don't need road racer tires. The ones that came with the Marin are plenty and I don't want any larger profile/size than that. My wife's BadBoy5 has some rather thin tires and they're punishing on some of the Pontiac roads.
      d) My Marin uses a Deore groupset and my wife's BadBoy5 uses a combo of Alivio shifters and Deore XT... and I feel that is plenty adequate for my taste. I know the bikes I'm currently looking at uses one step lower in grade, but I'm not sure if I would even notice the quality/performance difference.

I don't know many brands, but have found these options. The Tricross and CrossRip seem to be equals, while the Secteur seems to be a roadbike made for comfort. Is that the case?

Are there more like these?

TREK CrossRip Elite (I would probably get the regular CrossRip.)

SPECIALIZED TriCross Elite Disc (But probably the lower Sport Disc is adequate.)

SPECIALIZED Secteur Sport Disc

BTW... can someone explain to me the meaning behind Specialized's choice of the words "Compact" and "Triple" in their TriCross naming convention? Compact as in short wheelbase? Triple what?

Vehicles
      Forester XT Touring
      10-07-2012 04:25 PM #2
      The "compact" and "triple" designation refers to the types and number of chainrings on the cranks.
      Triple means there are three gears attached to the cranks. On the Specialized the largest has 50 teeth, middle has 39 teeth, smallest has 30 teeth. The smaller the chainring the easier it is to climb hills, but the more you must spin.

Compact chainrings have two gears in the front with the large having 50 teeth and the smaller having 34 teeth. Compact (vs "regular" chainrings which have 53 teeth on the larger and 39 on the smaller) is simply the cycling industry's way of differentiating how large the double chainrings are on the cranks.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      10-07-2012 05:08 PM #3
      The secteur was essentially an aluminum version of the carbon fiber Roubiax, so it is made for some comfort over long distances. THis year, it diverges even more with the addition of disc brakes.

Imo, the minimum I would go with is a Tiagra-4600. Plus it has been upgraded substancially, now with 10-speed cassette and near the performance of the old Shimano 105-5600.

I loathe the thumb shifters on the older Sora. The new Sora may have gotten rid of them.

in but terms of upgrades/maintenance, you have a lot of choices with 10-speed stuff, as 11-speed is slowly catching on.

for your riding, I would look at the Tricross or Crossrip style bikes.

Avid BB5 is a good entry level mechanical disc brake system. A tad PITA to work with (I know... I have BB5's on my mountain bike). Even better is the Avid BB7 brakes, which is highly regarded for being one of the best mechanical disc brakes out there.
      Last edited by BsickPassat; 10-07-2012 at 05:11 PM.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Vehicles
      o_O
      10-08-2012 08:07 AM #4
      I'm looking into the Raleigh line of cross/commuter bikes right now for my commuter duties, and I really like the Roper/Furley. They're based on a pretty ingenious steel frame that can run gears or a single-speed setup (it has an adjustable "eccentric" bottom bracket to allow for SS chain tensioning). It also has discs, and can accommodate racks and fenders (which is important to me).

The Roper is the geared version, with mostly 105 level components, and hits the top end of your $1500 budget. They have a 3-speed flat-bar version called the Tripper for ~$1K. But personally, I'm going with the Furley (I only need a SS here in NYC), and it's only $800. I may upgrade it to a 1x9 setup in the future to pull a kid trailer, and this frame can grow and adapt to that sort of thing, which is awesome.

Here's a review by Bicycle Times for more info: http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/conte...-raleigh-roper

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit, 2010 Tiguan S
      10-09-2012 03:49 PM #5
      Check out the Jamis Nova Race...2013 is spec'd with BB7 brakes and Tiagra drivetrain which is pretty good at that price point you are looking. Much nicer specs than that Trek for a little bit more, but that Trek can supposedly swallow a 1.8 29er tire which could come in handy for options down the road. Also look into Civilian Vive Le Roi...really nice spec for the price and sliders to allow for some drivetrain options down the road. I ordered one and it should be here any day. Will post up a thread with my thoughts once I get some time on it.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      10-09-2012 09:07 PM #6
      there are always bikesdirect.com cyclocross bikes
      Other Rides:

7. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-19-2013 04:20 PM #7
      The cannondale badass thread had me searching for commuter bikes, this thread came up when searching so instead of making a new thread figured I'd bump this and see if anyone has used any of these options in the last year?

Basically I want a commuter, for the roads I have here a CX bike makes sense but it will never actually do a CX race and the towpath for some tempo work would be the most off road it sees. Commute will be 18 miles each way.

don't want a triple, do want disks, would like to run a 25 or at most 28 tire on them to use sometimes as a road bike instead of my tri bike, like if i want to go do some climbs. So not sure if some of these wider wheels can handle that.

Unfortunately with a TDI for my daily right now and only 36 miles round trip a bike won't actually save me any real money so cost is a factor but most of these should fit the 1000-1500 range I"d want to be in.

Thoughts after a year?

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      08-19-2013 04:56 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      The cannondale badass thread had me searching for commuter bikes, this thread came up when searching so instead of making a new thread figured I'd bump this and see if anyone has used any of these options in the last year?

Basically I want a commuter, for the roads I have here a CX bike makes sense but it will never actually do a CX race and the towpath for some tempo work would be the most off road it sees. Commute will be 18 miles each way.

don't want a triple, do want disks, would like to run a 25 or at most 28 tire on them to use sometimes as a road bike instead of my tri bike, like if i want to go do some climbs. So not sure if some of these wider wheels can handle that.

Unfortunately with a TDI for my daily right now and only 36 miles round trip a bike won't actually save me any real money so cost is a factor but most of these should fit the 1000-1500 range I"d want to be in.

Thoughts after a year?
      After looking at bikes for my wife I really liked the Spec Crosstrail that I rode along with her test rides. They have some pretty cool colors for the 2014 line, or get some good deals on left over 2013. Would be a bit heavier (not a bad thing for training) but also be a bit better on the light dirt you may find use for it.

The Sirrus is sweet too but no disc. If you get up into the limited line you get essentially a nice road bike minus the drops, but not necessarily the components to match. My Scott CR1 was slightly cheaper with better components than the Sirrus Limited.

Other than that, Sectur Sport Disc.
      They're steppin' on my rhythm and they're stealin' all my lines

Every day on the bike is a day not in the Fusion.

9. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-19-2013 05:20 PM #9
      Weight, assuming were talking 1-2 lbs really doesn't bother me, as you said its training and I'm just south of 230 at the moment with no real plans to drop below 200 so not a big deal.

I like the look of the Sirrus but not the flat bar.

The local shop to me does trek specialized and cannondale. I'm pretty sure I have inadvertently checked out the Secteur without knowing it. They don't seem to have much trek inventory and I didn't look long on their site but I didn't see if cannondale had anything similar without spending over 2grand.

Left over tricross or Secteur may be the best bargain locally but i'll also check with the shop I used to work at when I'm up in NJ next as they sold a lot of trek and can probably still get a decent deal.

Vehicles
      08-19-2013 05:42 PM #10
      I believe the Sirrus is their defacto comfortable commuter, though they do option it up with Ultegra and full carbon for $5k if you really want. It's also the same basic body used on the Turbo.

The 2014 stuff thats out is here:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...4-early-launch

I liked the blue crosstrail disc for just $600, but it will be heavier and not shift as well as you may want. But saves $$$ for the tri bike. its... BLUE. The raw/neon sport disc was cool too, better shifting for sure.
      Last edited by jnm2.0t; 08-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.

11. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-19-2013 05:57 PM #11
      Oh I have the tri bike, that's where all my bike funds went this summer and are still going since I don't have great wheels for it yet. It is also why I plan to commute by bike 3-4 days a week next year since it will be the only way to get the mileage in for a full ironman.

The 1500 was my temp tri bike until i built this one which is why the 1500 is just in pieces. But if I wanted to share wheels between the two I need to change shifters and a bunch of other stuff to make them interchangeable. Chances are that frame and misc stuff is getting sold because I also flex the crap out of it to the point that 25s rub when I get out of the saddle.

I "need" a roadbike which is why I think I'm leaning towards the Secteur right now as it seems it would be able to handle commute and road bike in one. The only reason I don't want a dedicated road bike to commute on is the roads are all rural with no shoulders plus to use on the canal, the 1500 frame can't handle being beefed up as mentioned.

I didn't notice the Secteur at first on the specialized site since it was under endurance road which confused me and for some reason looked past it on this post too initially.

I did swear I wouldn't ride another non carbon bike on the road though after I built my tri bike due to all the flex and rubbing on the trek.

Vehicles
      08-19-2013 06:13 PM #12
      Oh yeah, I know you have the tri bike, but there's always something you can find to spend on it!

Didn't realize you wanted a specific road bike, thought you meant just not a trail bike. Why not hit up CL? Or just get a cheapie Crosstrail and pocket the rest for the tri wheels? At least with a CT the flex may be eaten up by the fork, and won't be in the frame or wheelset. But my god, you will be slow compared to the TT bike.

Vehicles
      2013 Fiat 500 Turbo
      08-19-2013 09:51 PM #13
      It's too bad you're capped at $1500. The All-City Macho Man Disc is an outstanding bike for the money ($1795). You'd be hard pressed to find the ride and build quality in any of your above choices.

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/macho_man_disc

008 by keyzerjf, on Flickr

14. Member
      Vehicles
      08-19-2013 10:11 PM #14
      Jamis Nova Sport or Race (shown) are also possible contenders

Other Rides:

08-19-2013 11:00 PM #15
      I had the cannondale bad boy for a while. It meets your criteria. I got it for a sweetheart deal but I think msrp was around $1100. It has heavy duty mountain bike gearset, and juicy hydraulic disk brakes. great bike but heavy as hell.

I liked it but ended up ditching it for another sweet deal on a Roubaix that I couldn't pass up. If you can swing the extra coin for a Roubaix it is totally worth it. The roads around me might aswell be cobble stone, and the carbon framw combined with the zertz inserts give it a Cadillac ride. The only problem with it is how flashy it looks. If you park it anywhere public in Detroit it will be stolen in seconds.

The only problem with the bikes you posted is that they are all heavy.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      08-20-2013 08:18 AM #16
      what about a Specialized Crux Elite? A touch over $1500 but can probably find some end of year deals. Supposed to be a great frame. A mix of 105 and Tiagra. I am seriously contemplating picking up a cross bike and getting into it. My LBS has the Crux carbon for $2K which is seriously tempting. I wish it came with Sram Rival instead of 105. Trying to get my wife on board
      I am riding 180 miles this summer to raise money for cancer research. Please consider donating:
      https://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_p...emberID=236852

17. Member
      Vehicles
      08-20-2013 08:54 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post

The only problem with the bikes you posted is that they are all heavy.
      Heavy compared to a top of the carbon fiber race bike... but compared to most most hybrids and in particular, mountain bikes... they are nice and light.

Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      what about a Specialized Crux Elite? A touch over $1500 but can probably find some end of year deals. Supposed to be a great frame. A mix of 105 and Tiagra. I am seriously contemplating picking up a cross bike and getting into it. My LBS has the Crux carbon for $2K which is seriously tempting. I wish it came with Sram Rival instead of 105. Trying to get my wife on board
      Will you require rack & fender mounts? If so, the CruX will not have any, which Specialized made it on purpose to discourage people using it as a commuter bike.
      Other Rides:

18. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-20-2013 09:17 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Oh yeah, I know you have the tri bike, but there's always something you can find to spend on it!

Didn't realize you wanted a specific road bike, thought you meant just not a trail bike. Why not hit up CL? Or just get a cheapie Crosstrail and pocket the rest for the tri wheels? At least with a CT the flex may be eaten up by the fork, and won't be in the frame or wheelset. But my god, you will be slow compared to the TT bike.

CL locally is terrible it covers way too much area and not a whole lot of people. I can check Frederick and other areas will just take some driving. I'm not actually planning on buying anything at the moment just trying to get ideas in my head fora few months from now, unless there is a deal i Can't pass up. Due to the roads and lack of shoulder I really only plan to commute when daylight hours permit, it won't be year round. I do want to get the bike though for the winter on the canal.

The lack of speed will take some getting used to, but in my head I've already accounted for it, if I can do 17-18mph it will be an hour, plus giving myself 30 minutes to cool down and shower at work in the morning still works out.

Been thinking about selling my wrangler to get another grand cherokee or a 4 runner, but with all these bike plans in my head I'm afraid to sell it and end up spending all the money on bikes not a cheaper beater and putting the rest aside for another house.

19. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-20-2013 09:29 AM #19
      The all city is sweet and the steel will be comfy, just probably too much of a noodle under me if I Wanted to go ride it hard.

The jamis hits a nice price point for a compact and what looks like a 9 in the rear with the disks. We sold them where I worked back in the day but really only stocked a few low end models so my experience is limited with them. Will be worth looking into.

The matte finish on the secteur is really just sucking me in right now and its hard to look elsewhere.

I must work late everyday this week to prevent going to the bike shop.

The place I got fitted on my tri bike everyone seemed to commute on sevens, so sweet but so out of my price range for something that will be mostly a commuter and some road riding, but still not make me happy as a road bike for that price.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      08-20-2013 09:31 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      Heavy compared to a top of the carbon fiber race bike... but compared to most most hybrids and in particular, mountain bikes... they are nice and light.

Will you require rack & fender mounts? If so, the CruX will not have any, which Specialized made it on purpose to discourage people using it as a commuter bike.
      Require: no, but it would be nice to have the option. My commute is right on the verge of being able to ride in (roughly 17 miles one way), but I would like to be able to do it a couple times a week.

I haven't ridden any cx bikes, but was at the LBS this weekend picking up a Stryder for my daughter and talked to the guy about it. I might take it out in the next few weeks and hit up a few other shops to look at a few Fuji options, maybe the CAAD-X and others that fall into the $1500 to maybe $2K range. I don't need anything crazy but would be nice to have a versatile option.

The idea of getting into CX is super appealing to me. I just don't know anything about cross bikes
      I am riding 180 miles this summer to raise money for cancer research. Please consider donating:
      https://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_p...emberID=236852

Vehicles
      71 Fiat 850, 88 Saab 900s, 97 Ranger, 01 JGC
      08-20-2013 10:28 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      Jamis Nova Sport or Race (shown) are also possible contenders

My LBS just sold one of those. They look great in person and it rides really well, if I was in the market for a new cross bike that would be on my list, as well as the supernova elite (big price jump though).

22. 08-20-2013 03:57 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      The all city is sweet and the steel will be comfy, just probably too much of a noodle under me if I Wanted to go ride it hard.
      Highly doubt it.

If I was building up a cross/commute bike, I'd do a Ritchey swiss cross. You might get close to your budget with a used frame and sram rival.

23. Banner Advertiser chris@revotechnik's Avatar
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-20-2013 04:07 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Danza. View Post
      Highly doubt it.

If I was building up a cross/commute bike, I'd do a Ritchey swiss cross. You might get close to your budget with a used frame and sram rival.

If I stand up and climb on my 1500 the rear wheel rubs the chainstays... and it isn't a wheel issue because the exact same wheel with less clearance doesn't rub on my carbon frame. I'm 230lbs not a dainty 160lb roadie, stuff moves around under me trust me. . It also wouldn't cover me in how I'd want to use at as a road bike and would end up buying another.

Building something up won't really be cheaper for me because I won't make compromises and would probably easily spend 2grand. This is one of those things where forcing me to take some rival or tiagra is better for my budget. If I went used it would be something ti and end up with force on it.

24. 08-22-2013 09:53 PM #24
      The Fuji CX bikes are a good value, and Performance clears them out at the end of the year.

I test rode this last week, and am trying to keep myself from getting one. It was 22Lbs. with heavy flat pedals. Much zippier than pushing my 29er around, or my heavy Sojourn.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...92_-1___000000

It didn't seem as harsh as older ones I've ridden, probably due to the Carbon fork.

I would love the full Carbon version with SRAM Force

Dave.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      08-23-2013 07:03 PM #25
      Well it's been almost 9 months since I bought the Specialized TriCross Elite disc. I like it a lot, but then that's not hard to do coming from my Marin city bike which is a lot slower. I think I shaved 10 minutes off of my 11 mile commute to work.

The things I don't like are:
      1. BB5 brakes suck. They don't bite anywhere near as hard as the Hayes on my Marin, which can almost flip me. After 6 months of riding the front pads make this horrible sound. You know the sound of boiling oil? Similar to a deep fryer? That's what it sounds like now. Weird! The rears don't do that at all and I'd say I use them equally. They basically have all of the issues I've read about.

2. The Tiara stinks, too. My Deore on the Marin shifts a lot smoother. I don't ever use the double up front, but the shifting out back plain sucks no matter how I adjust it. The LBS I bought it from didn't seem to even check them out when they prepped it and I had to tweak it some, but it still misses shifts up and down. It's as if I can set it optimal for down shifting but then upshifting will suck... or vice versa. I can't find a sweet adjustment spot.

Other than that... I love the riding position, comfort, and since I'm not some racer in training the mass is plenty light for me. Heck, my backpack for work is 18 lbs so it's not like I will feel a difference by losing a lbs or two from the bike. I was worried that the frame would be a lot more rigid (uncomfortable) than the Marin with CF forks, but it isn't. And the Marin's tires are a lot fatter! Twice as much. Oh... and I love how clean the frame is with the hidden cables. Great for cleaning.
      Last edited by uncleho; 08-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      09-04-2013 02:31 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Holden McNeil View Post
      It's too bad you're capped at $1500. The All-City Macho Man Disc is an outstanding bike for the money ($1795). You'd be hard pressed to find the ride and build quality in any of your above choices.

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/macho_man_disc

008 by keyzerjf, on Flickr
      That's the bike I want

That or the Raleigh Roper
      http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/stee...ross/roper-13/

27. Banned
      09-06-2013 07:41 AM #27
      Uncleho-I was going to recommed you check out the Blue Norcross SP that I recently picked up until I saw that you bought a bike 9 months ago. Glad to hear that you like your new bike I absolutely LOVE my Blue-perfect for towing Jr, riding to work, hitting up some trails, etc etc. I got the complete bike from Nashbar for something great like $799-I see now they only sell the frame for $350. I pretty much reach for that bike unless I am doing a fast group ride I like the way it rides so much. The Apex has been great, over 1000 miles and not a single flat, and the 48 chain ring up front is great for towing Jr with.

28. 09-06-2013 12:31 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      The things I don't like are:
      1. BB5 brakes suck. They don't bite anywhere near as hard as the Hayes on my Marin, which can almost flip me. After 6 months of riding the front pads make this horrible sound. You know the sound of boiling oil? Similar to a deep fryer? That's what it sounds like now. Weird! The rears don't do that at all and I'd say I use them equally. They basically have all of the issues I've read about.
      The brakes should be an easy and relatively inexpensive swap to the much better and more powerful BB7s. I have them on two bikes and prefer them to hydros that I've ridden, though fade resistance on long, technical DH isn't quite as good. That won't be an issue for you though. I know for MTBs, they can be had for $45/wheel on sale. I'd imagine the road version is a bit more, but still not bad.

Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      09-06-2013 01:11 PM #29
      CAADX maybe? Its the cyclocross version of the CAAD road bike