Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I NEED help pls! 2004 VW Passat 1.8 kicks between 2nd and 3rd geear

1. 10-07-2012 03:57 PM #1
      Hi guy, this is my first post here at vwvortex and I hope someone will help me. I have 2004 VW Passat 1.8 liter that is having strange transmission problem. The car drives fine but when it shifts between 2nd and 3rd gear it kicks pretty hard ... and when downshifts kicks again and ONLY BETWEEN 2nd and 3rd GEAR ??? everything else is fine. If I replace the N88 and N92 solenoid, would that fix my problem? I bought this car for my wife I hope I can find help here. Thanks again to all you reading my post.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      10-08-2012 11:40 AM #2
      EDIT: my original post was wrong as I assumed it was a 09A trans. I didn't notice its a passat.

I'm retracting everything I said previously.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 10-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 10-08-2012 01:27 PM #3
      agree with above. I'm looking into the same thing with my A4. before jumping straight to an all new trans though, if solenoids don't clean it up, I know that some of these cars have weak torque converters (specifically the seals), resulting in similar symptoms.

order of repair:
      1. solenoids
      2. torque converter
      3. trans

a bad trans will not typically behave poorly ONLY at shift points, symptoms will manifest any time you are in the problem gear/s. noises like grinding, crunching, seizing or constant lurching (the last 2 are catastrophic).

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2002.5 VW Jetta GLX VR6 24V, 1999 VW MK3 Jetta GLX VR6 (sold)
      10-09-2012 12:25 AM #4
      My wifes 02 Jetta GLX VR6 has been having this problem for years... same transmission as your Passat. In tiptronic mode, no problems.. on in automatic it jerks between 2nd and 3rd and even more noticbly when it was cold.

The dealer mentioned it to me about a year ago and they couldn't figure out what exactly it was but were recommending a new fuel pressure reg or brake booster hose lol

I finally got around to getting my VWtool to work with my obd k-line cable and scanned the cars trans computer for errors and it had a code saying something about "engine tourqe signal".... Not sure what it is but I'm about to start looking into it. A solenoid kit is about $350 on eBay, I have a set on watch just in case ... Just not sure who to have dothem. I don't have the tools to drop a trans correctly

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 10:54 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rstolz View Post
      .....I know that some of these cars have weak torque converters (specifically the seals), resulting in similar symptoms.
      I dont think torque converter problems would result is similar symptoms as what the original poster is describing.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 10:55 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 Manny View Post
      My wifes 02 Jetta GLX VR6 has been having this problem for years... same transmission as your Passat.
      02 Jetta will not have same trans as a passat.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

7. 10-09-2012 09:55 PM #7
      Hi guys, thanks for the responds.
      I have decided to replace the Valve Body, since I was not sure which solenoid was defective. So thanks God, I called my friend and it happened that he had one siting around for few years now... So it took us 1 1/2 hours to replace it. The car is now ruining beautiful. I have attached photo below. I hope that will help other VW lovers just like me.
      Good luck,