Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Upper glovebox, got a couple questions

1. 10-07-2012 06:01 PM #1
      So I scored this upper glovebox at the pick-a-part yesterday for $8. Couple problems though: The lock is busted, the right hinge is cracked off, and it's the wrong color. So here's my questions. Does anybody know how I could go about getting a new lock assembly and hinge? Is the keyhole keyed to the car or will any key do? What is the easiest way to make this thing black, dye or plastic spray paint? Appreciate any help

pics for clicks:

Vehicles
      98 golf gl
      10-07-2012 09:27 PM #2
      i got the handle assembly from the dealer, don't know if it's still available, and you can use plastic spray paint to paint it.
      N.E.R.D

i did'nt come here to impress none you mother****ers

Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-07-2012 09:58 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI_UNIT View Post
      i got the handle assembly from the dealer, don't know if it's still available, and you can use plastic spray paint to paint it.
      I have never really looked around about these. They came in some MK3's in NA? What is the deal with them?

4. 10-08-2012 07:49 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VT-MKJett View Post
      I have never really looked around about these. They came in some MK3's in NA? What is the deal with them?
      Early carts in NA 93-94. The one you posted is a Euro I believe though. It's been so long since I looked at them though. One has plastic running almost the full face the other just has it around the handle. I assume the handle is NLA though. Good luck.

Installing is as easy as removing the airbag and putting it there. Make sure your state law will allow this. Don't want to give advice and you get a ticket.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      vw golf mk2 1.05 / vw golf mk3 1.6 GT / vw golf mk4 1.8T GTi / vw golf mk5 1.6 FSi
      10-08-2012 08:10 AM #5
      eack keyhole belongs to a different key as far as i know

when i changed mine i put the old lock in

i really don't know if the lock can be changed for your key like they do in door locks for example

6. 10-08-2012 09:18 AM #6
      Some of the keys are slightly interchangeable. Like the one I scored from the junkyards key just so happens to work but my lower glove box is different.

Vehicles
      purple girl's car
      10-08-2012 10:49 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GoGo97GTI View Post
      So I scored this upper glovebox at the pick-a-part yesterday for $8. Couple problems though: The lock is busted, the right hinge is cracked off, and it's the wrong color. So here's my questions. Does anybody know how I could go about getting a new lock assembly and hinge? Is the keyhole keyed to the car or will any key do? What is the easiest way to make this thing black, dye or plastic spray paint? Appreciate any help
      Generally speaking, you can't get replacement handles from the dealership anymore. There might be the slight chance that some dealership somewhere in the country would have one hidden in a corner long forgotten but probably not. The chance is miniscule. Rule of thumb with gloveboxes for me is that if it's not complete, it's not worth it. Finding parts is near impossible. Your best bet would be finding a handle in the classifieds from a Canadian. These came on 93-94.0 mk3's. Mk3's sold in the USA had airbags from 94.5 and up. Canadian cars didn't get airbags until a little later I believe so there were more cars sold there with upper gloveboxes and thus a better chance to find parts there.

I wouldn't paint it. It won't match the dash perfectly, and will crack and fade quickly. It's a high-wear location in the car and will be sitting in the hot sun. Not a prime candidate for dyeing or painting. Forget the broken hinge, one is enough.

Each lock has different keys (duh!). But there's only so many combinations of keys you can make so there's always a pretty good chance you can find a key that fits if you have a pile of keys to try. Or you can change the lock if you have another one where the key fits. You'll have to change the handle anyway and the lock is part of the handle mechanism. I have a key for mine but never lock it. All a thief will do is break the handle and the glovebox is worth more to me than anything I would ever keep in there anyway.

Long story short: looks like you wasted $8. Sorry. If you really want an upper glovebox, get a black one that doesn't have any broken parts from the classifieds and be very careful with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetzeb View Post
      The one you posted is a Euro I believe though. It's been so long since I looked at them though. One has plastic running almost the full face the other just has it around the handle.
      Short handle came in the Golf.
      Long handle came in the Jetta.
      The handles are not interchangable.

Vehicles
      Blackish Green
      10-08-2012 11:21 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      Generally speaking, you can't get replacement handles from the dealership anymore. There might be the slight chance that some dealership somewhere in the country would have one hidden in a corner long forgotten but probably not. The chance is miniscule. Rule of thumb with gloveboxes for me is that if it's not complete, it's not worth it. Finding parts is near impossible. Your best bet would be finding a handle in the classifieds from a Canadian. These came on 93-94.0 mk3's. Mk3's sold in the USA had airbags from 94.5 and up. Canadian cars didn't get airbags until a little later I believe so there were more cars sold there with upper gloveboxes and thus a better chance to find parts there.

I wouldn't paint it. It won't match the dash perfectly, and will crack and fade quickly. It's a high-wear location in the car and will be sitting in the hot sun. Not a prime candidate for dyeing or painting. Forget the broken hinge, one is enough.

Each lock has different keys (duh!). But there's only so many combinations of keys you can make so there's always a pretty good chance you can find a key that fits if you have a pile of keys to try. Or you can change the lock if you have another one where the key fits. You'll have to change the handle anyway and the lock is part of the handle mechanism. I have a key for mine but never lock it. All a thief will do is break the handle and the glovebox is worth more to me than anything I would ever keep in there anyway.

Long story short: looks like you wasted $8. Sorry. If you really want an upper glovebox, get a black one that doesn't have any broken parts from the classifieds and be very careful with it.

Short handle came in the Golf.
      Long handle came in the Jetta.
      The handles are not interchangable.
      You have a good DIY on the install IIRC

to the OP, my glove box is openned and closed with velcro...not the 'coolest' thing, but it functions

9. Member
      Vehicles
      vw golf mk2 1.05 / vw golf mk3 1.6 GT / vw golf mk4 1.8T GTi / vw golf mk5 1.6 FSi
      10-08-2012 03:49 PM #9
      just be careful when having it locked...those handles break really easily

and you can find a european part i believe it was mid or the end of 96 that they started putting airbags in those

10. 10-08-2012 10:22 PM #10
      I was able to find the handle on German eBay but it's like $30 to get it here. I'll take the earlier advice of checking around in Canada.

I realize that resurrecting this thing is gonna be a tiny money trap, but I don't really care. Sometimes you gotta have something that you did yourself. I am going to give the painting thing a try to see if I can match it up. I've done some reading on the subject and it seems that if you take your time and use the right products, you can get a lasting paint job on there.

Appreciate the input.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      [Current]: AlpineWhite AHU Tdi Jetta [Old]: WindsorBlue AAZ Jetta [Older]: Tornado Red DigiII Jetta
      10-09-2012 01:10 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by GoGo97GTI View Post
      I was able to find the handle on German eBay but it's like $30 to get it here. I'll take the earlier advice of checking around in Canada.

I realize that resurrecting this thing is gonna be a tiny money trap, but I don't really care. Sometimes you gotta have something that you did yourself. I am going to give the painting thing a try to see if I can match it up. I've done some reading on the subject and it seems that if you take your time and use the right products, you can get a lasting paint job on there.

Appreciate the input.

I can get those handles still from my supplier, along with anyone else that is in canada.

They aren't cheap though. The last time i had to replace the locking mechanisms in my upper glove box, it was roughly 30+ before taxes.

I'll check for you tomorrow at my local parts shop and find out exactly how much it costs.

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      1995/VW/Golf CL
      10-11-2012 06:13 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by georgeboole View Post
      eack keyhole belongs to a different key as far as i know

when i changed mine i put the old lock in

i really don't know if the lock can be changed for your key like they do in door locks for example
      Is there any trick to getting the old lock out of the handle to put it in a new handle or do you have to break it out?

Vehicles
      purple girl's car
      10-11-2012 06:20 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Tneuf View Post
      Is there any trick to getting the old lock out of the handle to put it in a new handle or do you have to break it out?
      The lock cylinder is held in by 4 tabs. Once you remove the handle by unscrewing the 3 screws on the inside of the glovebox lid (as pictured in the first post), you'll see what you need to do. Pry the tabs away from the cylinder but be extremely gentle not to break the tabs.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      10-11-2012 09:12 PM #14
      There was a website selling the handles for $10. As for a broken hinge, you're SOL.

But that looks black to me?
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      2001 1.8t jetta
      10-11-2012 09:29 PM #15
      The upper glove box in my 93 jetta has its handle broken off and i didn't want to go through trying to find a new handle and install is and just have it break again so i just took a dremel and cut a slot big enough for me to fit my finger in and push the switch down to unhinge the glove box manually, and i can still lock/unlock it.
      RedLine Goods, the finest in leather accessories for your car!
      http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=806

16. n00b
      Vehicles
      1995/VW/Golf CL
      10-13-2012 05:01 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The lock cylinder is held in by 4 tabs. Once you remove the handle by unscrewing the 3 screws on the inside of the glovebox lid (as pictured in the first post), you'll see what you need to do. Pry the tabs away from the cylinder but be extremely gentle not to break the tabs.
      Thanks, I figured that was it I just didn't want to mess with them if there was some other special way.