Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Why do people put fake Autotrader and Craigslist Ads?

Vehicles
      2008 Civic LX
      10-07-2012 07:00 PM #1
      I've been looking for used cars and have been noticing ads that are either clearly fake or suspected fake. What gives them away is the price which is usually way too low compared to what the car generally goes for. Often there is no phone number and email contact results in no reply.

Why do people do this? Is it an attempt to drive down the market prices?

Vehicles
      1993 JDM MR2 turbo, 2012 golf TDI
      10-07-2012 07:10 PM #2
      Most likely trying to run a scam of some sort

There is no Tapatalk, only Zuul
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      But even your average idiot doesn't buy into crap like this! It takes special idiots. It's like you have to be an idiot, and then level up.

Vehicles
      1970 Karmann Ghia, Mk2 Diesel Beast
      10-07-2012 07:19 PM #3
      Scammers gonna scam
      Pelican club VIP

Vehicles
      2008 Civic LX
      10-07-2012 07:25 PM #4
      How does the scam work?

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-07-2012 07:40 PM #5
      Maybe they've never heard of the crime of fraud/false advertisement

Scammers always are around, they probably want you to provide them with a PayPal transfer or something before they deliver the car. When I was selling a few cars on Autotrader I was contacted by a few people who gave almost no details, but were adament they wanted to buy the car sight unseen using PayPal. Sorry pal, no cash in hand delivered by a real person = no car. It's a good rule to live by.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-07-2012 07:49 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by baljet View Post
      How does the scam work?
      US Army officer's widow/missionary/businessperson must sell the car immediately as the officer was killed/they are moving somewhere else/are in Europe/etc. You cannot see the car (it's inla different state/country) but they'll ship the car to you at their cost (if you're not happy, ship it back with pin 7 days) and the transaction will be covered eBay/PayPal/Autotrader buyer's protection. Now, please send a Western Union transfer for the sale price to us, thank you. Come on, you know you want this $3,000 E46 M3!

Preying on the gullible and greedy, who don't realize that shipping a car on an airplane (often Luftansa) and offering to send it back if not satisfied will cost 10x the price the car is advertised at.

Sent from a rotary-dial phone using Edna the Small Town Operator
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      10-07-2012 08:15 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      US Army officer's widow/missionary/businessperson must sell the car immediately as the officer was killed/they are moving somewhere else/are in Europe/etc. You cannot see the car (it's inla different state/country) but they'll ship the car to you at their cost (if you're not happy, ship it back with pin 7 days) and the transaction will be covered eBay/PayPal/Autotrader buyer's protection. Now, please send a Western Union transfer for the sale price to us, thank you. Come on, you know you want this $3,000 E46 M3!

Preying on the gullible and greedy, who don't realize that shipping a car on an airplane (often Luftansa) and offering to send it back if not satisfied will cost 10x the price the car is advertised at.
      I would say it's amazing that this scam works, but working in a bank for several years exposed me to a segment of customers that would fall for ANYTHING. Unreal.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      1997 NA Miata, 2013 Golf 4-door
      10-07-2012 08:15 PM #8
      The prince of Nigeria needs my help quite often.

9. 10-07-2012 08:41 PM #9
      How does the scam work?
      basically, with a too-good-to-be-true price, it requires/prompts for a small deposit (which the victim never gets back)

this is RAMPANT on CL

10. 10-07-2012 08:43 PM #10
      Why are most Facebook accounts fake?

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-07-2012 10:17 PM #11
      I've been looking for used cars and have been noticing ads that are either clearly fake or suspected fake. What gives them away is the price which is usually way too low compared to what the car generally goes for. Often there is no phone number and email contact results in no reply.

Welcome to the internet.

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-07-2012 11:42 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by deagle View Post
      basically, with a too-good-to-be-true price, it requires/prompts for a small deposit (which the victim never gets back)

this is RAMPANT on CL
      And just like with email spam and telemarketing, they wouldn't do it if there weren't people that fell for it.
      Don't blame the player, blame the idiots that keep falling for them scams enough to make them keep doing it.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      e320 wagon, company issued appliance
      10-08-2012 12:07 AM #13
      I had a guy hack my Craigslist account and post cars for sale in the Seattle CL. $2000 for a 2010 Jeep because his work transfered him out of town and he had to sell it now. Claimed he was in ATL and another deal fell through after leaving a deposit so all he needed was 2k. I would see these posts show up saying my CL post was active for things that I never posted. So I started replying to them, asking to arrange to meet him to look at the cars. After dodging a couple of these attempts, I just told him to GTFO my account or I'd go internet bully all over his ass. Never saw another post on my account.
      "Never attribute to maliciousness that which can be attributed to stupidity."

Vehicles
      1990 BMW 325i
      10-08-2012 12:16 AM #14
      If you really don't like someone, you put their phone number on an out of this world ad...
      3 + 3 + 3 = NEIN!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-08-2012 12:25 AM #15
      Often there is no phone number and email contact results in no reply.

If they can't be contacting, they're trolling. Why do people troll here? Probably for the same reasons people troll CL. One reason they keep doing it: it works.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      1997 VR6 Cabrio, RIP '98 GTI VR6
      10-08-2012 12:44 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by lowredcabrio View Post
      If you really don't like someone, you put their phone number on an out of this world ad...
      Like an ad for a hundred yards of free copper wire that just needs to be removed from my lawn...

Vehicles
      '07 335i, '06 T&C, JK... JK! it's a JKU, ****brick civic
      10-08-2012 01:07 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      If they can't be contacting, they're phishing.

FTFY. Now the bot that placed the ad has a brand new email address to sell to spammers.

18. 10-08-2012 06:31 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by lowredcabrio View Post
      THIS. My friends and I mess with eachother all the time on CL.

I put a pair of tickets to a NY Giants game for a low price and used my friends phone number in the ad.

The tickets never existed, it was priceless and a game in it's own trying to keep a straight face when he would mention the endless amount of people asking about tickets he never had.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      10-08-2012 09:19 AM #19
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      10-08-2012 09:48 AM #20
      [IMG]http://cdn.******************/instances/250x250/23631073.jpg[/IMG]
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Giant deer orgy statue, whale sex videos, and turtle pee-pee which pops out like a pouncing snake.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      10-08-2012 10:01 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      I would say it's amazing that this scam works, but working in a bank for several years exposed me to a segment of customers that would fall for ANYTHING. Unreal.
      I read something somewhere that the scams are intentionally stupid/obvious because the scammer wants to find the stupidest possible people to scam. They know that if it seems to realistic there will be smarter people that will catch on quicker to the scam than really dumb people.

Vehicles
      VW C30 Stingray
      10-08-2012 10:05 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by phill0046 View Post
      Scammers gonna scam
      This.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      2008 Civic LX
      10-08-2012 12:04 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by WakusPakus View Post
      [IMG]http://cdn.******************/instances/250x250/23631073.jpg[/IMG]
      I didn't say it was true. I also don't think some are scammers because they don't respond to contact attempts. So they could be people who are posting fake ads with cheaper prices so that when they go to buy a car they can point to that ad to help bargain.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      10-08-2012 12:44 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I read something somewhere that the scams are intentionally stupid/obvious because the scammer wants to find the stupidest possible people to scam. They know that if it seems to realistic there will be smarter people that will catch on quicker to the scam than really dumb people.
      That's probably a good move for the scammers. Cuts way down on time wasted on people that have any shred of suspicion.
      I actually had to argue with some of our customers that they were being scammed or had been scammed AFTER the fact. They didn't even comprehend what had happened after it was over. I tried to stop some from wiring money out, so they took cash with them and went to Western Union.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      VW
      10-08-2012 12:55 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by miatafreak View Post
      Like an ad for a hundred yards of free copper wire that just needs to be removed from my lawn...
      We done this. My friend had to change his phone number.

I called a guy once about a car and his voice mail stated " Im not selling the xxyyy car, stop calling."
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      B8 S4 / HD Iron883
      10-08-2012 01:11 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BODH1 View Post
      The prince of Nigeria needs my help quite often.
      No it's cool he emailed me too, I am going to help him
      Let's face it, if you're a grown-ass man driving a Hyundai or Kia to work, your life plan didn't work out as expected

Vehicles
      B5 S4
      10-08-2012 01:14 PM #27
      just troll them.

a friend of mine trolled a scammer pretty bad for a few weeks. made them send countless fake checks using next day air delivery ($$). i could only laugh when he showed me the conversations.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-08-2012 01:14 PM #28
      About 7 years ago I sold my 02 Civic EX Coupe on Cars.com within a week of posting. I tried the same with my Matrix last fall and was left with fake calls, fake emails, and loads of scams. I finally gave up, put a sign on it and parked it on the lawn. Sold it that way in a week.

I've given up on the internet to find a car unless it would be something like say CarMax. We have something around here called the Bargain News but it's online site is a complete farce and everyone on there is a joke.

The best is when people cannot even put a decent picture of the car (granted they may not want to because of it's condition) but I don't even bother with ads that do not depict the car, and 90% of the time if it's a dealer of some sort, they throw up a "file photo". OOOOO it looks so shiny.

Internet and used cars