VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Opinions on the Lancer Ralliart?

6K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  Elite_Deforce 
#1 · (Edited)
I never hear this car talked about, but everything I read puts it right in the class of the MS3, WRX, and Focus ST performance wise. The interior isn't great but it does have AWD. I always forget they even exist until I see one.

They also start like $1000 cheaper than the WRX in Canada and have 0% over 72 months. One review called it 90% of an Evo for 75% of the price.

I remember a few years ago the Ralliart package was just badging but the 09+ seems pretty interesting. I consider them almost sleepers because there is barely anything visual to tell them apart from a upper level regular Lancer other than the badging on the outside.

What says TCL?

See less See more
#2 ·
A friend of mine has one. He traded his 2010 WRX for one.

He hates it. Handling isn't great, the transmission is boring, interior sucks. The interior is cheap and it rattles, much like a base lancer. Driving position is terrible. The review is backwards, it's 90% LESS EVO.

My opinion: Get a WRX.

#4 ·
I've driven all 4 cars you mentioned. Take any of the 3 that aren't named "Mitsubishi Ralliart." The optional Rockford Fosgate system is better than any of the stereos in the other 3 cars, but other than that, nothing compels me to buy the Mitsu over any of the 3 competitors.

#5 ·
My friend has one.

He's a auditor from a public accounting firm that visits clients. Need a professional car. What's he gets? Brunt orange Lancer Ralliart. :facepalm:

It's just..ok. Not the fastest thing, makes all the wrong noises, interior is cheap, and looks too aggressive.

#6 ·
My wife and I picked one up for her. The driving position isn't so bad. The interior is really cheap feeling but well laid out. Lot's of rattles after just a few thousand miles. Simple controls make for easy operation though. We liked the styling and got the car for a couple thousand under MSRP with 0% for 60mo a year ago. The price, financing, styling, and basic performance of the car pushed us in its direction over a MS3 or WRX. The WRX is a more compelling drive but the lancer makes a good daily. The handling is nothing like an Evo. Different steering and suspension entirely so you can't just swap parts and the experience is completely different. And, as hinted above, the 4B11T is just a horrible sounding engine no matter what exhaust you put behind it. However, after a relfash, the car is really quite quick and it only cost us the price of a "boost pill" and a Tactrix cable. A nearly 100hp increase for ~$200 is nice. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the SST but then again I'm a die-hard manual transmission guy. Would I buy another? Probably not. Do I regret my purchase? Nope. There, that's my $.02

#10 ·
I thought the interior of my car was bland and cheap feeling loaded with crummy plastic till I got in my friends new Ralliart, couldn't believe that he paid as much as he did for what you get. Sound System as mentioned is great, didn't feel all that quick, I am interested to see how it does in the snow when it starts flying.

#11 ·
They also start like $1000 cheaper than the WRX in Canada and have 0% over 72 months. One review called it 90% of an Evo for 75% of the price.
I looked at them when I was shopping and the consensus was that it's the worst bits of the Evo and the Lancer combined. Better to get a used 2008-09 Evo for similar money. WRX is super overpriced up here unfortunately.

#13 ·
I owned a 10 Ralliart Sportback for roughly 8 months. Great car for the price!

Good things:
TC-SST is much smoother than DSG/S-Tronic in any situation
Almost 300hp for about $100 (FREE tune, cable $75 used, Boost pill $20-30)
EVO turbo setups are cheap, bolt right up and are plentiful.
Engine sounded great with a 3" RRE exhaust (from outside :p)
Mine was issue free the whole time I owned it
CHEAP to buy and insure!
Cheap brake and suspension upgrades (not a lot of choices though)
Razor sharp steering feel
Lots of compliments about it's looks from random people (TCL will tell you otherwise)
Dash layout/design
Lots of back seat space

Bad things:
Interior engine sound was loud and thrashy
I averaged 15-17 mpg street and low to mid 20's on highway (only slightly better if you drive like a granny)
You must upgrade to coilovers to have a descent ride when lowered
Paint chipped easily
Stock brakes are easily overwhelmed when driven hard
Interior fabric thin and bland
TC-SST trans will overheat when driven hard (can upgrade to EVO X trans cooler setup or aftermarket)
Not a huge aftermarket for parts

You should check out http://clubralliart.com/

Check out Gates311 thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4731668-My-new-project-car...

My Car

#15 ·
The current Ralliart has basically the Evo IX drivetrain, right? Front + rear LSDs at the WRX price point? I was very excited when this car first came out... then saw only "meh" reviews. I don't think I've heard this car mentioned in years! What happened? Just poor execution? No MT6? No public good-feels about the Ralliart brand compared to the WRX? I like the looks of the sportback.

#16 · (Edited)
Best thing if for you to go drive one.

The drivetrain is as you stated. No manual was offered in the Ralliart. The motor/trans is essentially the same as the X with a smaller turbo & intercooler. You can get X power for about $100 with a free tune, boost pill and a cable to hook your laptop up to the OBD port. The X turbo, manifold, downpipe and intercooler bolt right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.