Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Paint matching question.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-07-2012 08:24 PM #1
      So, I have a question that I'm hoping you guys can answer. In a few months I am going to be getting new bumpers for my 01 jetta. Its T red with 152,000 miles on it. The paint is nice but slightly faded. My questions are; how do most body shops match faded paint? Is there a machine or tool that measures the color and spits out a mixture code or is it done by eye? If I want the best results is there a specific tool or machine I should be asking about or do I just need to find someone with a good eye for mixing paint.

Here's a pic of the paint for reference. It only looks faded in direct sunlight. In the shade it still looks like it should.

Vehicles
      1985 Golf Diesel 3dr
      10-07-2012 11:22 PM #2
      If I were you I would definitely find a body shop that doesn't use Waterborne paint. That stuff is junk, waxes and sealants won't adhere to it well and it scratches much easier. A good body shop would probably want to blend slightly into the fenders which would involve wetsanding to the base coat and laying a small section of the new paint into where the fender meets the bumper. That way if the color is off slightly it will be harder to notice.

Hope this helps