Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Citroen 2CV

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      10-08-2012 04:40 AM #26
      I love them. See if you can do a full-on Ducky or Dolly.

The name is a pun in French.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

2. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Honda Accord 5MT
      10-08-2012 04:46 AM #27
      All the hate for the Deux Chevaux by supposed "enthusiasts" is beyond me. The 2CV carries the same historical significance as the Beetle, the Mini, and the Fiat 500.

I've driven a few, and they're a hoot. I wouldn't expect anything remotely close to a modern driving experience, but that's half the fun. They're very simple, easy to work on, and parts are cheap and plentiful. (Almost four million of them were made)
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      There is no such thing as a purist Chevette enthusiast, any more than there is a diarrhetic pedophile metastasized tumor enthusiast.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      10-08-2012 07:09 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by PJA View Post
      The 2CV carries the same historical significance as the Beetle, the Mini, and the Fiat 500.
      It put at least two million French farmers on wheels!

Kidding aside, it is quite the engineering feat. Tiny little engine, disc (!) brakes, and seated four. The best part of the thing is that the engine bay is quite large, if not cavernous. How sad that we ignore Mr Citroen's advances (he invented almost everything we think is cool) simply because he is French. And weird.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Kia Forte SX sedan
      10-08-2012 08:01 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhTw0zGbkwI
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesarray View Post
      Ga ha ha ha. Well from the looks of that video they'll run just fine disassembled as well.

Doubles as a drift car without the backend attached...

Now that is the stuff! Even though some of the film looks sped up, that's still some hairy, scary stunt driving. And it does a fine job of showing the kit nature of the vehicle (although I think the chassis was delivered in one piece ).

Thanks for posting. I haven't thought of Louis de Funès in ages . . .

Vehicles
      26 of them
      10-08-2012 08:01 AM #30
      They put big engines and tires on these and use them as tractor pullers in the Netherlands.

10-08-2012 08:13 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      They put big engines and tires on these and use them as tractor pullers in the Netherlands.
      Oh hell yeah we do!

7. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-08-2012 08:19 AM #32
      Those are neat cars. Being air-cooled they're pretty much automatically near-and-dear to my heart.

If I remember correctly they have leading arms in the front and trailing arms in the back, so I'd imagine their handling is, errrrrmmmm, "unusual". Since I've not driven one I can't say how it compares to the Beetle in that regard. I'm pretty sure my 50 horse Beetle would blow one out of the water as far as acceleration goes, even with the weight penalty. (Mine has done 80 and it miiiiiight have had a bit more.)

I'd agree with Benjamin, you don't drive it on the freeway at all. I will give one caveat. If you know the highway, traffic is light, it's daytime and you know the car, then I may drive one on the freeway to get it somewhere, but I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it nor would I drive it during rush hour!

Now go out and get one so I can live vicariously through your car adventures, too!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

8. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-08-2012 08:21 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by RennbahnPolizei View Post
      Oh hell yeah we do!

I don't know if that still counts as actually being a 2C-V, though!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      06 Tacoma, 05 Ninja
      10-08-2012 08:40 AM #34
      http://m.bonhams.com/auctions/20498/...0&m1=1&b1=list

Here you go, a 2CV Safari (2 engine 4x4) at the "barn find" auction today I think at the Simeone Museum in Philly. Estimated sale price 40-60k. A lot of other interesting cars to see there as well.

Vehicles
      Caveman... S
      10-08-2012 09:20 AM #35
      for a main driver wouldn't you want to consider safety, even slightly. a 2CV will probably use your torso for a crumple zone in a crash. maybe have one for sunday morning drives when traffic is light, but not for an every day driver...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '63 Dodge Dart
      10-08-2012 09:25 AM #36
      Cornering

Supension

Although the eight-torsion bar suspension was axed, the production 2CV’s suspension was just as capable, if not more so. The super-long travel and ultra soft springing remained, but was now accomplished by two sets of coils springs mounted in cylinders horizontally alongside the platform chassis, and connected to the individually-suspended front and rear wheels via bellcranks and pull rods. That alone would have made a very advanced system.

But there’s more: the cylinders in which the coils travel is not fixed, but have springs of their own, which allows them to move, thereby creating the first (I believe) active suspension. When the front wheel hits a bump it compresses its spring, but also moves the cylinder forward some, which in turn pre-loads the rear spring. This tends to both keep the 2CV level, despite its ridiculously soft springs, and is effective in controlling front-aft pitching.
      The suspension is not interconnected side-to-side, which does mean the 2CV tends to really lean in corners. And it’s ridiculously easy to rock back and forth sideways, as we used to delight in doing as kids whenever we saw one parked on the street. We just couldn’t believe how soft it was, and how wildly we could rock one.

Amazingly as it may seem, 2CVs do not tip readily, despite their wild angles in hard cornering. Thanks to a super-low center of gravity, and none of the abrupt transitions that rear-engined and swing-axled cars like the VW and Corvair exhibited, the front-wheel drive 2CV just hangs in there, and its wheels hang down there, as if glued to the pavement. The fact that the 2CV helped pioneer Michelin’s new steel-belted tires only added to its grip. Like so many exotic things French, one has to experience a 2CV to appreciate it properly. It’s an acquired taste, for most.
      Last edited by Rory Calhoun; 10-08-2012 at 09:28 AM.
      We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '63 Dodge Dart
      10-08-2012 09:33 AM #37

Speaking of, another brilliant aspect to the 2CV is its four doors and room for four adults and a decent trunk. This really sets it apart from all the little micro-cars that were all the rage right after the war (and some well before it); most were little more than motorized sidewalk toys. The 2CV was a tall boy, a CUV a half-century ahead of the times. And erstwhile Chrysler President K T Keller would have been proud of the 2CV’s “father” Pierre-Jules Boulanger, who insisted that its roof be raised because he liked to drive with his hat on.

And more brilliance inside: the 2CV prototype’s seats were truly hammocks, suspended from the ceiling. BTW, this and so many other aspects of the 2CV’s design was all about weight (and cost) saving. The TPV was planned to be built mostly out of aluminum, but the rising cost of that metal forced a change to steel, and innovative ways to still keep weight down, like the “corrugated” body panels on early versions. The efforts paid off: the 2CV weighs in at around 1200 lbs (560 kg), a phenomenally low weight, given its roominess.

The production version used “lawn-chair” type seats, with easily replaceable cushions available for $29.95 at every WalMarché in France.

Here’s how they look in our featured car, which is legally registered as a 1969 model, but looks (mostly, at least) to be more modern than that; probably from the eighties or so, and imported from Belgium.

Now that’s an instrument panel I can get behind. No touch screens, but plenty to touch.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Turbo Diesel Jetta
      10-08-2012 10:01 AM #38
      A special version of the 2CV was the Sahara for very difficult off-road driving, built from December 1960-1971. This had an extra engine mounted in the rear compartment and both front- and rear-wheel traction. Only 694 Saharas were built. The target markets for this car were French oil companies, the military, and the police.
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman
      Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude, 2004 Toyota Prius
      10-08-2012 10:12 AM #39
      I appreciate all the help so far, guys.

If I do end up with one, there's no way in hell it would be my daily driver because it's too slow and unsafe, as people have mentioned. I'm looking at one as sort of a fun weekend project.

I want something that's extremely simple to work on, since I'll be doing all the work myself, which is why I'm wanting to steer clear of cars that are somewhat complicated like the DS and SM.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      Divorce your family. Eat only white foods. Ba'hee Priss Dimmie.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      10-08-2012 10:25 AM #40

Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      MkI Jetta TD
      10-08-2012 10:35 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      . Tiny little engine, disc (!) brakes, and seated four.
      not disc brakes... simple drums at all four corners. Inboard drums.

http://www.citroen-restoration.co.uk/2cv/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Barry2952
      I dragged her back to see the $4,500 Pacer. She hated it, but we bought it. She went home and cried. (when we sold it) my wife put an ad in the newspaper. A woman came out to look at the car. She said, "I really didn't go out looking for a Pacer." My wife replied, "Lady, nobody goes out looking for a Pacer. It's eighteen hundred bucks, take it or leave it!" The woman took it and drove away smiling. My wife cried.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 rabbit, 85 jetta
      10-08-2012 10:58 AM #42

from '81 up discs were fitted to the front

(photo of electric drive conversion)

Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
      All of the rust, bondo, and patchwork done with old street signs gives them the crash safety of a cake decoration.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1977 Fiat 124, 78 mk1 rat bunny
      10-08-2012 11:01 AM #43

Quote Originally Posted by TheBurninator View Post
      Wheel gap is like women, the more fingers you can fit the worse off you are

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '70 Datsun 510......early wabbit
      10-08-2012 11:09 AM #44

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      MB 300TD
      10-08-2012 11:20 AM #45
      I don't think a lot of us are "hating" the 2CV. But we sure are entertained and provoked to laughter by some of the aspects of this car. Engineering tour de force.... absolutely.

Hilarity ensues quickly when on the road and brings a smile to the onlooker.

Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      It has ultra low miles because it doesn't run most of the time

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      10-08-2012 11:22 AM #46
      Nice Sahara pics! Perversely I've always wanted one, the most complicated version of the world's simplest car.

Vehicles
      87 Audi quattro, 98 Golf MK4 TDI, 01 Ford Mondeo
      10-08-2012 11:22 AM #47
      I'd say it's a great 1st classic car, just like the Beetle is. The 2CV is simple, yet fun. Easy to work on, easy to drive, comfortable and spacious.
      "YOL∞". - Hindu cliché.

Vehicles
      A bicycle.
      10-08-2012 11:22 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      beast
      If you want a beast, look no further than a four cylinder (N/A) Mitsubishi Eclipse. They kill Porsches and Mustangs. And they are BEAST.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      MB 300TD
      10-08-2012 11:24 AM #49
      So many variants on this theme

Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      It has ultra low miles because it doesn't run most of the time

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      10-08-2012 11:36 AM #50
      Did someone mention rust?

another chassis view

“I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast