The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Citroen 2CV

Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      10-10-2012 01:21 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by audifans View Post
      heh... well, for good reason:

That's what Romney said at the time. Also, his dad was running for president and he would have had the death of his boss' wife on his his hands, too. Good Mormons don't speed.

So Romney blamed it on a "drunk priest" who actually was soberly driving with his mother and was stopped in a left turn lane that Romney plowed into with 6 people in a 5-passenger DS.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo C30 1.6d
      10-10-2012 02:56 PM #102
      It's funny to me that the 2CV (or "deuch" as we call it here) seems so outlandish to many TClers. This car was the "staple" on french roads during the 60s/70s, it was used in TONS of movies, appeared all the time on TV and basically was just everywhere. I remember that it was also used for cross continental adventures because of its symplicity, strange looks and availability of parts all over the world (well, .... maybe except Northern America ). I remember seing them still quite often on the roads in the early 90s, remember that they were produced without interruption from 1949 until 1990! I distincly remember the typical sound of the classic Citroen flat twin:

Citroen Visa cold start with a view of its lovely dash:

With a production of over 4 000 000 (counting the popular delivery van version), led to the creation of several rebodied or special editions. See below example of a 2CV Dagonet from the 50s, keeping the same 2 cylinder engine goes from a top speed of 60 kph (!) to a staggering 110 kph. With also mandatory stiffened suspensions.

And here's a 2CV van (widened body) with a Ferrari 355 engine:

Needless to say also, there were tons of different versions and bodies available during the production run (including the dual engined 2CV 4x4), the early one were the most rudimentary (with their 300 ccm engin) until the Charleston which came out in the early 80s (with its 602 ccm engine).

2CV Charleston from the 80s:

At the end of its career, the 2CV appealed much more to what we call today "hipsters" and usually ecologists. Today they still have a GIGANTIC fan base all across Europe and parts are readily available. This car is just not another car, it is really a symbol over here.
      Last edited by K.Lagan; 10-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude, 2004 Toyota Prius
      10-10-2012 03:16 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by AB11 View Post

But to be fair, I've been lurking and haven't posted yet as I don't have enough time to write. OP, PM me if you have any questions.
      I'll do that, thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      A lot of people think a lot of things about Hawaii.

4. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-10-2012 03:31 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by K.Lagan View Post
      It's funny to me that the 2CV (or "deuch" as we call it here) seems so outlandish to many TClers...
      It was never sold here and it's probably safe to say that most people have never seen one in the metal or even know what it is!

2CV Charleston from the 80s:
      I don't think I've ever thought of a 2CV as beautiful, but wow, that looks fantastic!

At the end of its career, the 2CV appealed much more to what we call today "hipsters" and usually ecologists. Today they still have a GIGANTIC fan base all across Europe and parts are readily available. This car is just not another car, it is really a symbol over here.
      That's much like the original Beetle is here now. They were everywhere in the '60s, '70s and '80s, but in the 2 years I've had my latest one, I think I have only seen a couple of others on the road while driving mine. They're not yet "rare", but they're getting to be "unusual".
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo C30 1.6d
      10-12-2012 09:01 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It was never sold here and it's probably safe to say that most people have never seen one in the metal or even know what it is!
      Oh yes for sure, but it is still strange to me that such a iconic car over here can be completely unheard of to some enthusiasts even if they are in the US. I remember when I was doing a summer job 5-6 years ago at a package sorting plant for the french Postal services, I keep seing part being sent to all over the world from a 2CV club.

I don't think I've ever thought of a 2CV as beautiful, but wow, that looks fantastic!
      The Charleston was a very popular series to help boost the sales of the badly aging 2CV in the 80s. Mind you that Citroën tried countless time to replace the 2CV but they never managed to get the models right. There was the Dyane in the 60s-70s which was basically a "squared" modernised 2CV and then there was the Ami, the Visa, the LN, ...

That's much like the original Beetle is here now. They were everywhere in the '60s, '70s and '80s, but in the 2 years I've had my latest one, I think I have only seen a couple of others on the road while driving mine. They're not yet "rare", but they're getting to be "unusual".
      That pretty much sums it up about the 2CV here.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      10-12-2012 09:09 AM #106
      For me this would be a big "Hon Hon, Non!" but I can see the appeal I suppose. Quirky would best describe it. Or slow.

Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      10-12-2012 02:50 PM #107
      The wiki page on the 2cv is quite exhaustive and interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      10-12-2012 10:45 PM #108
      Beachcomber variant

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

9. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-12-2012 11:43 PM #109
      Oh yes for sure, but it is still strange to me that such a iconic car over here can be completely unheard of to some enthusiasts even if they are in the US. I remember when I was doing a summer job 5-6 years ago at a package sorting plant for the french Postal services, I keep seing part being sent to all over the world from a 2CV club.

The Charleston was a very popular series to help boost the sales of the badly aging 2CV in the 80s. Mind you that Citroën tried countless time to replace the 2CV but they never managed to get the models right. There was the Dyane in the 60s-70s which was basically a "squared" modernised 2CV and then there was the Ami, the Visa, the LN, ...

That pretty much sums it up about the 2CV here.
      That really does sound like the Beetle here. The one difference is that it's safe to say that the Beetle is known worldwide. We're also a bit more isolated than you. Before the new version of the Mini came out most people here didn't know what the original Mini was, either!

The Beetle had many special editions to boost lagging sales, too. There was the Sports Bug (that is one of the better ones), the "Formula Vee", Baja, LaGrande Bug, Jeans Beetle, Sun Bug and probably something I'm forgetting. None improved performance, they were all just trim packages except the Sports bug. It had fantastic seats! It offered nothing else besides special colors of paint, black stripes/trim and sport wheels, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10. 10-13-2012 07:24 AM #110
      Some interesting ones:

http://www.super2cv.com

11. 10-13-2012 08:15 AM #111
      Look what I found!

A US Imported Citroen DS. (For you guys Exported)

http://link.marktplaats.nl/597048987

More pictures including the license plate from California!
      http://s1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh523/moesdirk/

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      10-13-2012 10:53 AM #112
      There is an attractive but way optimistically priced 2CV on US eBay, item 180994182151.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345