Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Broke timing belt, rebuild and still won't start

Vehicles
      04 VW Jetta GLI
      10-07-2012 11:46 PM #1
      I have a 04 Jetta GLI with 66k miles. Timing belt broke. I rebuilt the head and replace all of the timing parts. I aligned all of the timing marks, the cam chain has 16 rollers in between the the timing marks. The timing marks on the cams timing marks arn't exactly on the arrows but they are as close as I can get them. Both of them are with in the key way on the cam sprockets (timing marks). When I turn the key eveything moves but no fire. When I turn the engine over it sound weak.
      I read the fault code and I got a ecm/pcm power control power relay fault. The same code I was getting when I broke the timing belt originally. I cleared the fault and it came back.

I'm thinking its timing but all of the marks are lined up so I'm out of ideas.

Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      10-08-2012 11:48 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by jwojda View Post
      I have a 04 Jetta GLI with 66k miles. Timing belt broke. I rebuilt the head and replace all of the timing parts. I aligned all of the timing marks, the cam chain has 16 rollers in between the the timing marks. The timing marks on the cams timing marks arn't exactly on the arrows but they are as close as I can get them. Both of them are with in the key way on the cam sprockets (timing marks). When I turn the key eveything moves but no fire. When I turn the engine over it sound weak.
      I read the fault code and I got a ecm/pcm power control power relay fault. The same code I was getting when I broke the timing belt originally. I cleared the fault and it came back.

I'm thinking its timing but all of the marks are lined up so I'm out of ideas.
      There are a few things that I would check. Make sure all your grounds are tight. Make sure all the plugs in the harness are plugged in and secure. Once you're sure all this is good, I would make sure the battery is fully charged. Try again. If this doesn't work, take the valve cover off, make sure the cam and crankshaft are lined up on the timing marks, and take a picture of your cams alignment marks. Post them here.
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5 LS, 1988 F-150 (R.I.P)

Vehicles
      04 VW Jetta GLI
      10-08-2012 01:06 PM #3

16 rollers between the timing marks

aft cam

fwd cam

All the grounds and connectors look good. I hooked up and battery with 12.86 vdc and it still sounded sluggish. I removed the accessories belt and it was a little faster but still doesn't sound fast enough to crank.

Vehicles
      04 VW Jetta GLI
      10-08-2012 04:59 PM #4
      Could the chain be off a tooth? I followed instruction for this engine and I lined up everything exactly. It looks off to me but that's the closes I could get it.

Would that cause the car to be sluggish when turning over?

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-08-2012 05:06 PM #5
      ecm/pcm power control power relay fault
      Check all your grounds, fuses, and important points such as the coil pack 12V reference, injector 12V reference, etc. Post up your full diagnostic details here so we can go through it.

after that...

The 409 relay could be an issue here. I'd suggest swapping in a friend's 409 and see if that fixes it...or go buy one and see if that helps.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      04 VW Jetta GLI
      10-20-2012 12:16 AM #6
      Sorry it took so long for me to get back, I was out of town for a while. I discovered that the starter that I changed when I was originally troubleshooting was the wrong one. Auto Zone sold me a 5 speed transmission starter. Got the 6 speed tranny starter, cranked right up! Thanks for the help!