VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Porsche 911 Carrera S nails down 7:37.9 'Ring time

12K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  NoDubJustYet 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Guy seems like he is just out for a sunday drive.... Wish I had a thousandth of his skill....

#13 ·
Something I just noticed...

The timer in the lower right hand corner doesn't start until 0:54 into the video. Look at where the car is on the map in the upper left corner (car is going into a lefthand corner).

At 8:39 in the video the timer stops. According to the map in the upper left corner, the car still hasn't reached the lefthand corner it started from. The timer stops before the point it started from, thereby reducing the lap time by a few seconds.

Does anyone know if the Porsche is using an accepted timing methodology for this lap? (i.e., do these runs, regardless of what car is being timed, start at that lefthand corner, but end just before it?).

#17 ·
Something I just noticed...

The timer in the lower right hand corner doesn't start until 0:54 into the video. Look at where the car is on the map in the upper left corner (car is going into a lefthand corner).

At 8:39 in the video the timer stops. According to the map in the upper left corner, the car still hasn't reached the lefthand corner it started from. The timer stops before the point it started from, thereby reducing the lap time by a few seconds.

Does anyone know if the Porsche is using an accepted timing methodology for this lap? (i.e., do these runs, regardless of what car is being timed, start at that lefthand corner, but end just before it?).
Haha ... yes. Most videos I've watched have the start/end at the white line where the timer stopped in this one. This video is pretty fishy.
You mean just like the ZR1 video????? ;) Don't look at the overlay, look at the actual track and see where time starts/stops.

The ZR1 posted a 7:19 I think. The GT-R was in the mid to low 7:20's as well. I'd imagine the 458 is in that area too.
7:26.4

#28 ·
Not to be "that guy" but the drivers driving style was a little rough.

As in, he could have gotten a better time i suspect by being a bit less stabby on the throttle (you actually hear/see him jab at the throttle).

Not something I've seen other professional drivers do, and something I've always been taught not to do.:confused:

Other than that, its always nice seeing a ring video.

#31 ·
These Chicago guys will stop at nothing!:rolleyes:

#32 ·
For a Company which has publicly stated they don't put much emphasis on Ring times back when they were getting their asses handed to them by the Corvette and GTR they sure seem to do a lot of testing in the ring and trow it in every one's face when they do well. Also why bring up independent times when you are doing in-house testing? For those the times of the vehicles they mentioned are as follows?

LFA - 7:14:eek::eek::eek:
ZR1 - 7:19 :eek::eek:
GTR - 7:24:eek: :eek:(damp track)
Italia - 7:32 :eek:

ACR - 7:12 :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

For the record that's an amazing time for the Carrera S, I imagine the GT3, 911 Turbo and GT2 will be monsters.

#34 ·
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I keep trying to make the numbers work so I can justify buying a new 991. Argh, still too rich for my blood. May have to wait another year or so to get a used one.

#45 ·
You do need a decent amount of power to achieve good ring times, but a well sorted out car is even more important which the current 911 seems to be. That's why a fwd car like Megane RS with about 300 hp posts times on the ring that better a lot more powerful performance cars.

#39 ·
To be honest, although I've always respected the 911 I've never really lusted for one before. I always felt like the mid-engined Boxster/Cayman (and at the extreme end Carrera GT) to be superior performance cars while the 911 became more and more GT like.
Maybe it's my age and past cars, but I'm more willing to see the attributes of GT now and the 991 is kind of calling out to me. Like every generation of 911 before it, it's faster, lighter, and more efficient than the series it replaces. It probably won't happen immediately, but I can definitely see a 991 in my future unless the new Cayman wows me even more.

#58 ·
Maybe it was just me but it seemed like the sound, video, and the animation were very poorly synced, which might explain why it seemed sloppier. Looked rougher than normal but who knows. I wonder if the electric steering had part to do in the yawing back and forth, granted its a rough track so some of that is normal.

Also at 8:10, did he hit the cone at 170+mph? :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.