Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 03' mk4 2.0 auto to 1.8t manual

1. 10-08-2012 11:18 AM #1
      Gonna try and attempt to do a 2.0 auto to 1.8t stick swap in my brothers mk4. So far I have

awp motor
      aww trans
      aww shifter box
      aww ecu
      aww engine harness
      aww cluster
      Brake and clutch pedal
      plus various aww parts from donor car.

My question is can I uses the 01 ecu and harness into the 03 body harness. This would be going from immo 3 to immo 2, is that even possible?

I have heard of people doing the opposite immo 2 to immo 3.
      "I admit that I'm often...vexed by the behavior of my own people..." - Huey Freeman (The Boondocks)
      GTS Performance

2. 10-08-2012 12:58 PM #2
      take the ECU to a tuner, or send it to one and have the immo defeated. one less thing to worry about when the car stalls or doesnt start for no apparent reason. If you want the added security of the Immo, just wire in a hidden kill switch.

Immo works by checking if the instrument cluster, ecu, and key all match. If they don't, you'll get 15 seconds of running before the ECU shuts the car down. It may also check the engine, but that I'm not sure of.

Beyond that the 2 harnesses should be basically plug and play since they are both mkIV.

Someone else should be able to answer better if an AWW ecu will work with an AWP motor. I don't see why it wouldn't.

3. 10-08-2012 01:14 PM #3
      I should be a little more specific. The engine harness will need to be from the AWW, unless you verify that the engine harness from the AWP has the same pin layout (ECU side) as the AWW. I don't see why it wouldn't, but VAG did some funky things over the mkIV life

Someone on here may know that too.

The interior harness shouldn't be any differnt either, but it wouldn't hurt to do some spot checking with a Bentley. I'd look at the relays and make sure a few of those connections trace back to the same ECU pin number. inter-lock, central locking and fuel pump relay come to mind as good spot checks.

These should be relatively easy checks, and will be worth it in the event that something doesnt work properly. (ie you try to turn ur heated seat on, and the window goes down)

4. 10-10-2012 08:18 PM #4
      Found a Vortex'r that can delete the immo, and the emissions stuff. Hopefully that's all the ecm bs taken car of, the rest should just easily swap over.
      "I admit that I'm often...vexed by the behavior of my own people..." - Huey Freeman (The Boondocks)
      GTS Performance