Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "No-Haggle" dealerships... can they be dealt with?

10-08-2012 01:56 PM #26
      You say you're in CT, and the dealer is about 375 miles away. Is it Dorschel VW in Rochester, NY?

If so, they are a great dealer to work with, and their price is the most competitive in their local market.

I have bought two cars from them (both this year) and they were awesome. They are truely "no haggle" and no BS. I think that, with test drives included, I spent maybe 4 hours total buying BOTH cars. Most people spend more time waiting for the finance manager in a regular dealership.

They are very big. They have Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Fisker, and Kia dealers, a bad-credit/no-credit lot (and their own bank to finance those) in addition to the VW dealership. They deal in high volume, and that is how they sell cars at the prices they do.

Bring up your R32 if you want to trade it in. You'd probably be surprised at the value you'd get. They come very close to KBB on most trade ins too.

Just a happy customer here.
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Still fail to see how a jacked up hatchback or wagon is better than the standard height one. Yes, putting the kid may require you to bend down a bit, but if the car is German, you're kind of used to that anyway.

2. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Honda Accord 5MT
      10-08-2012 02:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      It's different models, I am not saying they are in the wrong at the no-haggle dealership, I am just saying that I may be jaded by the fact that it has been so easy to get dealerships to move on their prices, and that I doubt a no-haggle price is comparable to the rock-bottom of a haggled price at another dealership, on an identical car.
      If it's the exact car you're looking for (and rare, seeing as how it's the only one within 500 miles of you) AND it's more than a thousand dollars LESS than book, then why don't you take it? As well, I highly doubt your "rock bottom haggled price" somewhere else would be any better. If the price is right and it's what you want, then buy it. There's no need to beat anyone up over it.

Look, you can't haggle on iPods or organic pasta sauce, and those things retail are 30-100% over their wholesale values. Just because the dealership wants to make some profit doesn't mean you're getting ripped off.
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      There is no such thing as a purist Chevette enthusiast, any more than there is a diarrhetic pedophile metastasized tumor enthusiast.

Vehicles
      2015 GLI, 2015 Acura RDX (wife)
      10-08-2012 02:07 PM #28
      I am also close to this dealer and can say they do have great deals, although with the new competition in town the new dealer Dick Ide VW did better when taking my trade into account which Dorschel was not coming close to.

Working in sales though I will say each deal is different for each dealer, sometimes it just depends on how deep you are in on trades on a given month which will dictate how good an offer will be made on your trade. In my case I made out on my trade and got the same price on the new car as the low no haggle price from Dorschel.

For the record prior to it being Dick Ide VW I never walked into the old Vincent VW. Now a lot of the Dorschel staff can be found at Dick Ide.

Quote Originally Posted by ajd187 View Post
      You say you're in CT, and the dealer is about 375 miles away. Is it Dorschel VW in Rochester, NY?

If so, they are a great dealer to work with, and their price is the most competitive in their local market.

I have bought two cars from them (both this year) and they were awesome. They are truely "no haggle" and no BS. I think that, with test drives included, I spent maybe 4 hours total buying BOTH cars. Most people spend more time waiting for the finance manager in a regular dealership.

They are very big. They have Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Fisker, and Kia dealers, a bad-credit/no-credit lot (and their own bank to finance those) in addition to the VW dealership. They deal in high volume, and that is how they sell cars at the prices they do.

Bring up your R32 if you want to trade it in. You'd probably be surprised at the value you'd get. They come very close to KBB on most trade ins too.

Current: Me: 2015 GLI DSG Wife: 2015 Acura RDX
      Past VAG vehicles: 13 and 10 CC Sport, 2001 Jetta GLX, 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, 2007 Jetta GLI, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
      Other past cars: 06 Nissan Pathfinder, 06 Corvette (Z51 package), 87 IROC-Z, 11 VW cRoutan

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      10-08-2012 02:52 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by ajd187 View Post

It is Dorschel. I appreciate the review, there are some negative ones online but they all seem to be about the Toyota branch of the dealer (surprise).

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      10-08-2012 02:59 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by PJA View Post
      If it's the exact car you're looking for (and rare, seeing as how it's the only one within 500 miles of you) AND it's more than a thousand dollars LESS than book, then why don't you take it? As well, I highly doubt your "rock bottom haggled price" somewhere else would be any better. If the price is right and it's what you want, then buy it. There's no need to beat anyone up over it.

Look, you can't haggle on iPods or organic pasta sauce, and those things retail are 30-100% over their wholesale values. Just because the dealership wants to make some profit doesn't mean you're getting ripped off.
      I hear ya. I've never bought a car and haggled much before. I stupidly paid full asking price at a haggle-friendly dealer for the Silverado SS I had prior to the R32. Took on a ton of debt, got hosed in the long run, I was 19 when I bought it, and it was the first time I fully went out and bought a vehicle on my own. The R32 was from a private seller that needed to get what he was asking so he could pay off his loan. He threw the extra wheels in for me for less than he wanted to, that was the extent of negotiations.

This time around I'm older, somewhat less impulsive in my decision making, and OCD about researching. Had not dealt with a no-haggle dealer before, and my local VW dealer was eager to sell me a car. A couple days after they gave me a decent number on a low mileage GTI, I brought my mom down there to buy a car on their lot. I got them down $1,000 pretty easily on the asking price for that as well, and they came down a little more on the GTI for me after I brought them business.

You do have a good point, I wasn't sure if the consensus would be to go for it or wait it out and hope another one pops up or I change my mind, etc. Just wasn't sure how far to push a dealer with this policy, or if there were any tips for it. Thanks for the advice.

6. 10-08-2012 03:21 PM #31
      when we were looking at my wifes used suv at a no haggle dealer, and they were 100% no haggle. I was a preapproved customer with basically cash in hand. They wouldnt move on price and the sales person brought the owners son out to talk to me. I even said would you look at some of the tax on the car, and guy said no. My wife said you would let us walk over 500 buck and the guy said all day long. We left and bought the truck down the street. As we walked you could see the salesperson face, dude was crushed.

10-08-2012 03:51 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      It is Dorschel. I appreciate the review, there are some negative ones online but they all seem to be about the Toyota branch of the dealer (surprise).
      We bought from the Toyota dealer, well twice actually. Bought a Rav4 for my wife in January, and my VW from the same salesman in February. He is a Toyota sales guy but he was able to sell me the VW too.

They have only switched to the new no haggle model in 2011, so any reviews before that will be of their old way of doing business. Their new way is a lot better. They post the interest rates right outside in the showroom, for example.

The only thing we got whacked on was the extended warranty on the Toyota.

With all of that said, you probably won't get them to move on price. But, you probably won't need to either - they are super competitive. We paid $2500 less for our Rav4 than the other dealer's best price.
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Still fail to see how a jacked up hatchback or wagon is better than the standard height one. Yes, putting the kid may require you to bend down a bit, but if the car is German, you're kind of used to that anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12