Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Results 1 to 18 of 18

    Thread: Mind if I share a documentary of one of our customers? Million mile Volvo content inside

    1. Member Volvo_D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2009
      Posts
      3,364
      Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-E
      10-08-2012 11:33 AM #1
      Ok, well I haven't produced a video this long since my under-grad film classes...so please forgive the quality...also, the whole thing was shot with a flipcam. But feel free to give some honest feedback.

      Long-story short...we have a client with a 1987 Volvo 240DL that just hit the 1 million mile mark and I sat down to interview him and capture the million mile moment as it happened at our dealership in Mechanicsburg, PA.

      Enjoy....let me know what you think..the good,bad, and ugly.

      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

    2. Member Mayerz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2004
      Location
      Montreal, QC
      Posts
      1,652
      Vehicles
      2004 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT
      10-08-2012 11:44 AM #2
      this is great! thanks for sharing!

    3. Member 08-Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2008
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      2,072
      Vehicles
      04 Xterra, 90 Jetta
      10-08-2012 11:46 AM #3
      Interesting video. Aside from the sound in some spots I had no problems watching it.
      He seems like a nice guy

    4. Member dopaz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Mechanicsburg, PA
      Posts
      964
      Vehicles
      [Current:] 99 Civic [Past:] 84 Rabbit, 85 Quantum, 87 Jetta, 97 Jetta, 96 Passat
      10-08-2012 11:49 AM #4
      Those 200-series Volvo were built for over 20 years! Sadly, I don't think modern vehicles will stand the test of time as well as this classic.

      What would today's Volvos look like after 26 years and 1,000,000 miles?

    5. Member Volvo_D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2009
      Posts
      3,364
      Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-E
      10-08-2012 11:54 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 08-Jetta View Post
      Interesting video. Aside from the sound in some spots I had no problems watching it.
      He seems like a nice guy
      thanks! I would have much preffered to shoot this with proper mic equipment...but i had to use what i had in hand. i was amazed at a couple of other clients who showed up...a 2001 S60 with 349,000 miles and an XC90 with over 300,000 miles...so there is hope that the "modern" Volvos hold up too!
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

    6. Member Pf3il's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2004
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      7,578
      Vehicles
      2006 V50 T5 AWD
      10-08-2012 11:57 AM #6
      can't watch the video at work, but i sure will after.

      can you give an overview of all the maintenance performed?

    7. Geriatric Member ATL_Av8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Gapiana
      Posts
      40,333
      10-08-2012 12:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by dopaz View Post
      What would today's Volvos look like after 26 years and 1,000,000 miles?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

      Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

    8. Member Volvo_D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2009
      Posts
      3,364
      Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-E
      10-08-2012 12:10 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Pf3il View Post
      can't watch the video at work, but i sure will after.

      can you give an overview of all the maintenance performed?
      just a quick overview...
      the engine has NEVER been rebuilt (Irv Gordon who owns the guiness record at 2.7 million miles had his first rebuild at 600k)
      the factory maintenace boils down to:
      33 sets of spark plugs
      33 engine air filters
      200 oil changes
      20 timing belt changes!
      not to mention the bulbs, fuses, brake pads etc that go along the way.
      the transmission is the bullet-proof M47 stick, so that has been pretty solid.
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

    9. Member Live-Wire's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2005
      Location
      Guelph Ontario
      Posts
      10,940
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-08-2012 12:11 PM #9
      To Seldon! That's incredible.

      The video was touching, I'm sure he appreciated your work. He seems like a really decent guy. Should have got him a brand new car . I wonder what his service costs are for 1 million miles and 26 years.

      While my family's car never had that kind of mileage (only hit 280k kms on the 960) we did have the same car for 16 years. I was 10 when we got that car, and never imagined I'd even get to drive it (my dad traded them every 4 years)... Not only did I get to drive it, and eventually help out by bringing it to its service appointments. I eventually owned it for about a year. You really do get a sense of family when you use a dealership for that long, like Mr. Cooper talks about. You know the service manager, he knows every detail about your car. You develop a bond. Volvo dealerships/service depts are excellent, I always feel great when I'm in one.

    10. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      28,725
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-08-2012 12:24 PM #10
      Cool video OP.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      I just want to know why OP thought making a thread in The Car Lounge would help him in any way... We've got a bunch of dudes telling him to "pepper his angus," and an insurance agent who just made a 2:30 appointment to **** someones wife. Classic TCL.

    11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      powell's books
      Posts
      35,468
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      10-08-2012 12:24 PM #11
      wow!

      also it looks incredibly not rusty as well...

      awesome

    12. Member Exhaustdd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2010
      Location
      The Grove
      Posts
      1,039
      Vehicles
      2013 RA Touring
      10-08-2012 12:26 PM #12
      Well done. I enjoyed it

    13. Member Volvo_D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2009
      Posts
      3,364
      Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-E
      10-08-2012 12:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post
      To Seldon! That's incredible.

      The video was touching, I'm sure he appreciated your work. He seems like a really decent guy. Should have got him a brand new car . I wonder what his service costs are for 1 million miles and 26 years.

      While my family's car never had that kind of mileage (only hit 280k kms on the 960) we did have the same car for 16 years. I was 10 when we got that car, and never imagined I'd even get to drive it (my dad traded them every 4 years)... Not only did I get to drive it, and eventually help out by bringing it to its service appointments. I eventually owned it for about a year. You really do get a sense of family when you use a dealership for that long, like Mr. Cooper talks about. You know the service manager, he knows every detail about your car. You develop a bond. Volvo dealerships/service depts are excellent, I always feel great when I'm in one.
      thanks for the reply! of course i am biased, but i know what you're talking about...
      and as far as the new car thing, volvo did chip in on some gifts for him (swedish artwork, letter of recognition, high mileage badge etc). had he been the first volvo owner to hit 1 million he probably would have gotten a car...but we are doing the next best thing and we are sending him to gothenburg, sweden for a week to tour the country, the volvo plant, and museum amongst other things. he seemed to really appreciate that!
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

    14. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      12,254
      Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-08-2012 12:32 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvo_D View Post
      just a quick overview...
      the engine has NEVER been rebuilt (Irv Gordon who owns the guiness record at 2.7 million miles had his first rebuild at 600k)
      the factory maintenace boils down to:
      33 sets of spark plugs
      33 engine air filters
      200 oil changes
      20 timing belt changes!
      not to mention the bulbs, fuses, brake pads etc that go along the way.
      the transmission is the bullet-proof M47 stick, so that has been pretty solid.
      Any alternators, power steering pumps, A/C compressors, etc.? How many clutches?
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    15. Member slirt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2004
      Location
      Ciudad de Angels, CA
      Posts
      2,807
      Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      10-08-2012 12:35 PM #15
      egads: 1M miles over 26 years = 38,000+ per year, every year for 26 years! that's a heck of a LOT of driving that surprises me more than a million-mile 240 Volvo...
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      FWD Mercedes, 4cyl Mustangs, unreliable Toyotas... WTF is this world coming to?
      and my new pet peeve: the "woah" misspelling of whoa: it's W-H-O-A, people! "learn it. know it. live it." seriously. #FFS #SMH

    16. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      12,254
      Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-08-2012 12:45 PM #16
      Honda did a great video for a million mile Accord:
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    17. Member 03GTI4Me's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2003
      Location
      NorCal
      Posts
      2,015
      Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      10-08-2012 01:36 PM #17
      Nice video. Great job.

      Out of my curiosity, would Volvo America (Or whatever their operations are called in the US) have offered this guy a substantial discount if he was interested in a new vehicle and did they get involved at all in this?

      Just curious if the brand gets interested in vehicles and lifelong customers enough to do anything for them. Afterall, 1,000,000 miles isn't seen too often.

      edit: That Honda video above was great. Thats some good PR.
      Last edited by 03GTI4Me; 10-08-2012 at 01:39 PM.

    18. Member Volvo_D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2009
      Posts
      3,364
      Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-E
      10-08-2012 02:10 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 03GTI4Me View Post
      Nice video. Great job.

      Out of my curiosity, would Volvo America (Or whatever their operations are called in the US) have offered this guy a substantial discount if he was interested in a new vehicle and did they get involved at all in this?

      Just curious if the brand gets interested in vehicles and lifelong customers enough to do anything for them. Afterall, 1,000,000 miles isn't seen too often.

      edit: That Honda video above was great. Thats some good PR.
      VCNA (Volvo Cars North America) had him as a guest of honor at their annual Open House in Rockleigh NJ, and also had some gifts for him. They are relatively active in promoting things like this, and will be doing an interview with the guy in the not-too-distant future.

      what's interesting is he has no intention of giving up the car, he will drive it as long as he is still able...he also expressed interest in donating it to our dealership when the time comes for him to give up driving (as long as no one else in the family claims it first). very touching gesture on his part. he is really down to earth...
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •