Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Turbo Alarm

1. 10-08-2012 04:29 PM #1
      Have been experiencing loud alarm buzzer behind center of dashboard when accelerating my 2000 VW Beetle w/1.8T and 5-sp to freeway speed. Car has careful 83K by one-owner. Alarm is loud and occurs in upper gears with no other symptoms of power loss. Indeed, when letting off the gas a bit, alarm ceases. When reaccelerating, alarm sounds again and continues until easing off on gas. VW dealer unable to help, along with other local European vehicles mechanic.

Would greatly appreciate insight or advice from others experiencing this scenario.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-08-2012 04:39 PM #2
      Can you post a video of it happening with the video pointed at the cluster. Have a friend hold the camera, have windows closed, radio and A/C off.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      10-08-2012 04:39 PM #3
      wow, ummmm.... vagcom?
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

4. 10-08-2012 05:09 PM #4
      When I get car back from dealer today I'll try to get more info. Thanks for quick response.

5. 10-09-2012 07:11 PM #5
      Hi . . . back after obtaining a little more info.
      First, my VAGCOM doesn't help much. No major issues indicated. I do have one fault as fols:
      16795 - Secondary Air Injection System
      P0411 - 35-10 - Incorrect Flow Detected - Intermittent
      I did notice when driving home today from work that, with the A/C off { nice day here in middle TN}, when accelerating where I typically have had the alarm go off, it didn't today. Later, when I came to another area of acceleration, I turned on the A/C, and I did get an alarm. Hm-m-m-m. Could it be that when asking for more power from the engine that it turns off the the A/C , which was a typical feature of cars a number of years ago? If so, is there a glitch that somehow links the alarm with this situation?

Again, I'm hoping others may have had a similar experience. And, if you have other ideas to troubleshoot this situation, your advice is most welcome.

tks . . .

Vehicles
      2010 WRX STi, 2002 Mustang GT (Kenne Bell S/C), 2002 GTI 1.8T (sold)
      10-09-2012 07:54 PM #6
      Are you sure there are no other warning lamps when this occurs? I've heard that the buzzer sounding like that is an indication that you've got a problem (specifically, low oil pressure.)

On cars with an MFA (half-screen display in the instrument cluster), a "STOP" warning is flashed and the beeper sounded in the event of an oil pressure problem. Maybe yours is sounding an alarm but lacks the MFA...

Do all your warning lights come on when you turn the ignition on (but don't start it)?
      Last edited by Blackfin; 10-09-2012 at 07:57 PM.

7. 10-10-2012 06:55 PM #7
      I've just checked my instrument cluster, and all lights that ought to come on when starting the car do so. The check engine light comes on and then goes off as expected. The indication that this buzzer could be associated with low oil pressure might make sense if the engine is under heavy load while merging on the interstate and with the A/C running. I've continued to explore that correlation, and it's proving to be the case, both when the A/C is off (no alarms) and an occasional alarm with the A/C on! So is this a logical phenomenon . . . that the engine under load would also have low enough oil pressure to cause the alarm to sound?

In folllowing up on this tip and reading carefully through my owner's manual yet again, I came across the following language regarding low oil pressure: "If the warning light does not go out or flashes while driving (above 1500 rpm) a buzzer will sound. It indicates that the oil pressure is too low. . . . if the engine oil level is normal but the light continues to flash, do not continue to operate the vehicle. This could damage the engine." While I haven't seen a flashing instrument light, the other symptoms clearly have occurred. And the relationship between low oil pressure and this buzzer is something I would have expected my VW dealer to be aware of. Hm-m-m-m.

I'll be following up on what now appears to be the cause: low oil pressure !

Many thanks to those who have helped with this. I'll follow-up with further info if I learn more.

8. 10-10-2012 07:13 PM #8
      Oh, and one more thought . . . in doing further research I see that there's an oil pressure sending unit. I would expect that if that's on the fritz, or the signal going to this mystery alarm is shorted or some such (but not turning on the intrument panel warning light), then that could explain what's happening. Next step: check out the oil pressure sending unit !

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-10-2012 09:08 PM #9
      I'm suspecting junk in the oil pickup screen
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

10. 10-11-2012 12:53 PM #10
      Thanks for the tip on the screen. I'll check that also. I did replace the oil pan in the last 6 mos after Jiffy Lube had managed to strip the threads on the drain plug. Maybe, just maybe, some "junk" was left in the pan . . . but I don't recall that. We were pretty careful doing the swapout.

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      10-11-2012 02:12 PM #11
      buzzer is oil pressure. start with installing a gauge and monitoring it.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-11-2012 03:24 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by volmike View Post
      Thanks for the tip on the screen. I'll check that also. I did replace the oil pan in the last 6 mos after Jiffy Lube had managed to strip the threads on the drain plug. Maybe, just maybe, some "junk" was left in the pan . . . but I don't recall that. We were pretty careful doing the swapout.
      FYI, many people use too much gasket maker on their oil pans when they reinstall.

The extra gasket maker comes off inside the pan then junks up the screen....FYI
      My Build

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      10-11-2012 10:25 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      FYI, many people use too much gasket maker on their oil pans when they reinstall.

The extra gasket maker comes off inside the pan then junks up the screen....FYI
      This

You only need a 3/8" bead tops on the mating surface and only use the $24 white vw silicone.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.