Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 78

    Thread: Is this car worth the trouble part 2 - caprice content

    1. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      25,303
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-09-2012 10:32 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      In that case, I'm going to need a power boost.
      Thats the cheapest and easiest engine in the world on which you can boost power.

      Hell, if the engine is healthy, simply buy a matched Edelbrock intake, carb, cam and headers and you're good.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    2. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      10-10-2012 11:12 AM #52
      I have a feeling it should be all good. It wasn't driven much before it was parked.

    3. Member Ghost85's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2006
      Location
      Wareham, MA
      Posts
      1,980
      Vehicles
      04 Chevy Blazer, 84 Chevy Monte Carlo
      10-10-2012 11:36 AM #53
      I'd fix it, every single clean large normal car from the 70's were ran in derbys, which now everyone is starting to regret. The fact that it's a hardtop is just that more awesome. Nothing beats the look of a car with no B pillar.
      The Monte Carlo wheels will fit it but I'd rather put the Rallys on the Caprice. Though the El Camino would look perfect on them.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    4. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      10-11-2012 09:11 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      I'd fix it, every single clean large normal car from the 70's were ran in derbys, which now everyone is starting to regret. The fact that it's a hardtop is just that more awesome. Nothing beats the look of a car with no B pillar.
      The Monte Carlo wheels will fit it but I'd rather put the Rallys on the Caprice. Though the El Camino would look perfect on them.
      I've seen a few with Rallys and I'm liking the look. That's my dad's Caballero pictured. It has the right GMC wheels on it and I don't think he wants to change them.

    5. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      11-13-2012 10:25 PM #55
      Still have this, still planning on keeping it.

    6. Member Broduski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2008
      Location
      Central NC
      Posts
      4,978
      Vehicles
      American, Japanese, and European junk
      11-13-2012 10:41 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      Still have this, still planning on keeping it.
      This is the correct answer. Don't you have a Torino wagon too? Those things are beyond cool.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      People always like to throw around words like "no" and "title" or "illegal" or "feds", but at the end of the day, they're just words.

    7. Member scoTT la rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2007
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      3,202
      Vehicles
      12 BMW 135i, 50 Ford Custom Deluxe
      11-13-2012 10:52 PM #57
      Backed
      | 40 Ford Panel RIP | 50 Ford Custom Deluxe current | 51 Chevy PU sold | 64 Chevy Belair sold | 67 Mercedes 250S RIP | 76 BMW 2002 sold | 85 Volvo 240dl wagon RIP | 85 BMW 325e sold | 88.5 Suzuki Samurai JX LOL sold | 91 Subaru Legacy sold | 92 BMW 318is RIP | 99 VW GTI sold | 01 Audi TT 225q RIP | 03 Audi A4 3.0q sold | 03 Jaguar 3.0 sold | 05 BMW 330xi sold | 06 Audi A3 sold | 2012 BMW 135i current |

    8. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      11-13-2012 10:52 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post
      This is the correct answer. Don't you have a Torino wagon too? Those things are beyond cool.
      Yup, a '73 that needs just as much work as this does. Then theres dad's cars....

    9. Member Geechie_Suede's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2009
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      3,194
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6 & 93 Talon
      11-14-2012 12:13 AM #59
      Sell it to Richard Rawlings, he'll find something to do with it.
      Last edited by Geechie_Suede; 11-14-2012 at 12:16 AM.
      Previously Owned: 96 Discovery/65 Corvair/93 Corolla Wagon/89 LeSabre/96 Camry/99 Regal GS/95 Accord/98 Contour SVT/90 LS400/89 Supra/91 Legacy Turbo/01 CVPI/92 Mark VII/87 S12 200SX/90 325i/03 TL-S/98 SC2/00 JGC/02 Forester/95 LS400/95 Audi 90

      Current: 01 Jetta VR6 & 93 Talon ES

    10. Member Big_Tom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2007
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      12,574
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      11-14-2012 07:44 AM #60
      It def will be a lot of work, but i think it may be worth saving
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

    11. 11-14-2012 04:48 PM #61
      I would keep it. Old 70's american iron isnt that common anymore, and I bet you will see even basic cars like this increase in value in the next few years. As long as you have the space for it, right now, I would get it, get it running, and at least do a good cleaning to see what you're up against. While tons of these were made, I bet at least 95% of them have been scrapped by now.

    12. Member Uberhare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2003
      Location
      Spokane WA
      Posts
      7,951
      11-14-2012 05:25 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by SgtArky View Post
      I'd rather have the Olds Trefeo
      Hell no. I had one for several years. Cheap car but parts were sort of hard to find. All kinds of electrical problems. And god forbid you have one with the electronic dash/screen. Nightmare to repair/replace.

      I'd take the simple and easy-to-fix Caprice.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

    13. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      11-14-2012 06:07 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      Hell no. I had one for several years. Cheap car but parts were sort of hard to find. All kinds of electrical problems. And god forbid you have one with the electronic dash/screen. Nightmare to repair/replace.

      I'd take the simple and easy-to-fix Caprice.
      Chances are ours has electrical problems. Theres a bit of rigged wiring.

    14. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      11-14-2012 06:09 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      I would keep it. Old 70's american iron isnt that common anymore, and I bet you will see even basic cars like this increase in value in the next few years. As long as you have the space for it, right now, I would get it, get it running, and at least do a good cleaning to see what you're up against. While tons of these were made, I bet at least 95% of them have been scrapped by now.
      We are out of space now, but we have a Maverick parts car that will be getting scrapped.

      This was my original plan (but with smaller wheels), but now I think I will lower it with rallys and call it a day.

    15. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      12-09-2012 08:15 PM #65
      As of late 2012:




      May end up taking the tarp from the GT wagon since it's too small and transferring it to the Caprice.

      2 of our other cars:

    16. Member 91gti20v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 18th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      4,258
      Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28, '86 3.2 Carrera & '05 LGT Wagon
      12-09-2012 09:33 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by IntrstlarOvrdrve View Post
      They're monte carlo SS wheels
      They are called N90's and they were also used on 2nd gen Camaros (Late 2nd gen Z/28's)



      Here is a thread that will help you differentiate which vehicle they came on:

      http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168435

    17. Member Ghost85's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2006
      Location
      Wareham, MA
      Posts
      1,980
      Vehicles
      04 Chevy Blazer, 84 Chevy Monte Carlo
      12-09-2012 09:43 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post

      2 of our other cars:
      I have that trim piece for that 80's Olds there.
      Mine was light blue
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    18. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      12-09-2012 09:59 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      I have that trim piece for that 80's Olds there.
      Mine was light blue
      It's an 86 Cutlass Supreme. There's a ton of them around here though. Also have 2 more G bodies to fix...

    19. Member Harold's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2000
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      3,586
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 4Motion
      12-09-2012 10:26 PM #69
      Definately keep it. My dad had a '71 Caprice 2 door, 400 small block, was my grandfathers. I was hoping someday to get it, but he sold it a couple of years ago.

      The curved rear window is cool. My dads had a mild 400 in it. Go to a Chevy or even a Classic American car show and you will probably be the only one driving one. You might see early '60s Impalas, but NEVER the 69-72-ish years.
      2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      past: '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro
      '85 VW GTI , 17 yrs and 280k miles, rusted away

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2008
      Location
      Roy, WA
      Posts
      1,126
      Vehicles
      '95 Five.Oh, '90 F 3-Fiddy, '90 Protege LX
      12-09-2012 10:52 PM #70
      Clean it up, paint it white again or all black, swap in a 500ci Cadillac motor and a th400 and I'd rock the hell out of it and be okay with the fact it'll never be worth Camaro/Chevelle money. Or, put a manifold, carb and distributor in it and derby it till it dies then scrap. You don't see them restored because you don't find many folks that go "Man I've always wanted a '70 Caprice!"
      It may be slow, but at least it's ugly!

    21. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      12-10-2012 07:44 AM #71
      I'm keeping it. My plan is to get rid of all the rust and leave it. Not sure if I'm going to get rid of the dent in the passenger door to keep its "character". Going to vacuum the interior, replace the headliner and seats, get the gauges working right, and then lower it with rally wheels with no centers.

    22. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      01-29-2013 11:07 AM #72
      Got asked if this car was for sale yesterday

    23. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      the barrio
      Posts
      37,292
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bluetec, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      01-29-2013 12:21 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      I'm keeping it. My plan is to get rid of all the rust and leave it. Not sure if I'm going to get rid of the dent in the passenger door to keep its "character". Going to vacuum the interior, replace the headliner and seats, get the gauges working right, and then lower it with rally wheels with no centers.
      man how many car projects do you have going at once

    24. Member 1985Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2012
      Location
      Palmetto tree land
      Posts
      15,562
      Vehicles
      26 of them
      01-29-2013 12:40 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      man how many car projects do you have going at once
      1965 Skylark
      1974 TR6
      1966 GP
      1972 Suburban
      1980 Chevy Cube van - the van 200HP4dr doesn't like
      1984 C30
      1971 Maverick
      1970 Maverick
      1985 Jetta
      1958 Suburban
      1953 Suburban
      1978 Skylark POS
      1986 Cutlass Supreme
      1967 C10
      1994 Mark VIII
      1981 Cutlass Calais
      1982 Caballero
      1990 Trofeo
      1973 Gran Torino
      2000 540i
      2006 Odyssey
      1996 GC
      Chevy Malibu 2.4
      2008 Malibu Maxx
      Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T
      Dodge Dakota
      1972 Malibu
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 11,000 miles
      1992 Kawasaki Concours 1700 miles
      1986 Cutlass Supreme
      1997 Cutlass Supreme SL
      Baja Motorsports Reaction 150

      -thats all of them including the dailies. I think I miscounted in my "vehciles" thing on my profile.

    25. Member will951's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,189
      01-29-2013 12:46 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      1965 Skylark
      1974 TR6
      1966 GP
      1972 Suburban
      1980 Chevy Cube van - the van 200HP4dr doesn't like
      1984 C30
      1971 Maverick
      1970 Maverick
      1985 Jetta
      1958 Suburban
      1953 Suburban
      1978 Skylark POS
      1986 Cutlass Supreme
      1967 C10
      1994 Mark VIII
      1981 Cutlass Calais
      1982 Caballero
      1990 Trofeo
      1973 Gran Torino
      2000 540i
      2006 Odyssey
      1996 GC
      Chevy Malibu 2.4
      2008 Malibu Maxx
      Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T
      Dodge Dakota
      1972 Malibu
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 11,000 miles
      1992 Kawasaki Concours 1700 miles
      1986 Cutlass Supreme
      1997 Cutlass Supreme SL
      Baja Motorsports Reaction 150

      -thats all of them including the dailies. I think I miscounted in my "vehciles" thing on my profile.
      There are a lot of pieces of sh!t in that list.....
      - E92 M3
      - WK2 Limited
      - 944 Turbo
      - XJ
      - C3 Stingray

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •