Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Jetta/Bora Auto Gearbox problem??

1. 10-08-2012 10:19 PM #1
      Hi guys, have a bit of a problem with the 4 speed auto in my 2000 VW bora/jetta.

Went to drive the car the day after taking it to a mechanic for something unrelated and could not really find any gears.

Going down the gearstock the gears are out of alignment, example Drive is park reverse if neutral ect.

if i go all the way down to gear 1, this indicates on the dash as being gear 3 and going up all the gears engage Position 1 = gear 3, Position 2 = gear 3, Position 3 = gear 3, Position d = drive, Position n = neutral, Position r = reverse and Position p = park.

Going down however, few gears engage and they are all over the place. The car drives fine except except for the slight hesitation/hold for split second too long from 2nd to 3rd which it has been doing since i bought the car.

Thinkingf maybe something to do with teh linkage perhaps except not too sure how this operates on an auto compared to a manual which i know is a common failure amongst some cars

Car has 110,000 kilometres (around 70,000 miles)

thanks!!

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      10-09-2012 10:57 AM #2
      have a helper move the shifter while you are under the hood looking at the linkage.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com