Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrific Subaru Impreza accident 4 teens killed

1. Banned
      10-09-2012 10:37 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by DMACK View Post
      Ive lost a couple friends from either stupid kids who are inexperienced drivers or them not wearing their seat belt. There should be graduated licensing like in gran turismo. So new drivers are stuck with priuses and honda civics.
      Japan has a system like that (if I'm interpreting their license system correctly): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_license_in_Japan

Maybe we should make our license tests tougher, really. It takes someone over a year to get their license in GB. Why can't we have that here? Oh right, because driving is a right and not a privilege

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      10-09-2012 10:44 AM #52
      Three of my friends died in a similar accident when I was in high school. Mercury Capri drifted off the road on a sweeper and hit a telephone pole at more than 100 mph. Car split in half, driver and passenger thrown onto a lawn, back seat passenger remained with the rear part of the car at the pole. The front half tumbled into some guy's restoration project that was under a tarp in his driveway. The homeowner heard the impact and got out of bed to find the passenger, still barely alive, laying in his driveway convulsing. What a way to be woken up in the middle of the night.

I remember how the passenger's body, at the wake, had an obviously huge gash on the forehead covered over with wax or something and heavy amounts of makeup, and wondering why the family didn't just have a closed casket. They were all decent kids, 17 or 18 years old, just casualties of stupid choices. If there's any upside, it's that I remember them all as the young, vibrant people they were, sort of frozen in time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '11 MCS, '03 K1500HD, '83 GS450
      10-09-2012 10:50 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      that kid had no business being in a car like that.

in my experience, every young driver who has a wrx or an sti wrecks it. i think ive known one person under the age of 22 who kept it out of the trees long enough to sell it and buy something else and he didnt drive all that fast. one kid in my grade in high school slid off the road and hit a tree, breaking both his legs and almost dying in a fire. another kid was drunk and stoned running from the cops and hit a tree 15ft up in the air and spent a few months in a coma. there are a few more but i dont know the details, just that they dont have them anymore.

idk what it is about sti's and wrx's but everybody wrecks them.
      Doubt it. I bet kids crash just as many Civics and Corolla and even *gasp* Golfs as they do Imprezas. The WRX is just a compact car with 300 pounds of extra drivetrain and a turbocharger anyway -- it's not a supercar. We did stuff that was just as dumb when we were 16 in whatever junk we had -- we were just lucky enough to not crash (or not crash as badly).

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      where have i backpedaled?

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      10-09-2012 10:52 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      Monday was columbus day. schools are closed.

technically this happened Tuesday morning.....
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      10-09-2012 10:56 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Doubt it. I bet kids crash just as many Civics and Corolla and even *gasp* Golfs as they do Imprezas. The WRX is just a compact car with 300 pounds of extra drivetrain and a turbocharger anyway -- it's not a supercar. We did stuff that was just as dumb when we were 16 in whatever junk we had -- we were just lucky enough to not crash (or not crash as badly).
      There is truth in this but still at 17 and 3:00 AM. Not sure about the rest of TCL but the most late I was allowed either weekdays and or weekends was 11:30 and only in our neighboorhod. And not even in a car. But still RIP, and hope that this 17 year old, not only heals his physical injuries but also his mental ones wich I believe will be the worst ones to deal with.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      All sensible chicks like boobs. We have them, they are fun, therefore more would be better. Ones that we don't have to personally lug around are extra nice.

Vehicles
      2014 Evolution GSR, 1998 GTI, 2002 TT 225 Roadster
      10-09-2012 11:03 AM #56
      This kind of stuff doesn't happen simply because a kid has a fast car. I knew a guy that nearly killed himself and a friend of mine by taking a 90* turn into a shopping plaza at 60 mph in his crv. Why did he do something so stupid? He was trying to beat his friend into the plaza. Put a group of kids together with cars and stupid things will happen regardless of what they drive.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 11:04 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      There is truth in this but still at 17 and 3:00 AM. Not sure about the rest of TCL but the most late I was allowed either weekdays and or weekends was 11:30 and only in our neighboorhod. And not even in a car. But still RIP, and hope that this 17 year old, not only heals his physical injuries but also his mental ones wich I believe will be the worst ones to deal with.
      You're right -- better parenting or respectful kids (one should beget the other, I'd think) would prevent a lot more of these accidents than all the electronic nannies and graduated driver-licences in the world.

On the other hand, some of my worst driving as a teen was on those late nights when I was racing home from way too far away, minutes before curfew.

Vehicles
      94 850csi, 92 miata, 2005 volvo v50t5 ,84 1.9tdi gti
      10-09-2012 11:05 AM #58
      Stuff like this happens all the time i wonder why this story got more of a headline? Maybe because of how reckless the parents were to let there kid out so late with a hi hp car, kids gonna be dumb lets not help them....I thank god i am alive with all the dumb stuff i did with out the help of my parents.....
      RIP
      1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55
      Good bye and thanx for all the fish!

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLI Big Turbo SEM MOTORSPORTS FTW!
      10-09-2012 11:17 AM #59
      When I was in my second year of high school my friends was dating a grade 11 and he was grade 9. Well for fun a bunch of them egged a house in the afternoon and took off in her crv. The guy started chasing them and they pulled onto the shoulder to go around the car in front and hit the dirt and rolled the car. The female driver only got a bit of whip lash and a big seat belt burn. My one friend dating the girl in the passenger seat was ejected out of the sun roof and thrown 300 feet into a farmers corn field. The other 3 girls and guys sitting in the back seat with seat belts on escaped un scarred. My other friend was sitting on a skateboard in the back storage part and held onto both oh **** handles and he was fine too. probably because hes always trained and been a tough strong ****er. Amazing that they could have stopped and delt with cleaning the guys house and instead my buddy died.

3 years ago the best guy anyone could know pulled a drunk girl off the road as they were walking in a group so she wouldnt get hit and she was screaming I want to die I want to die well he pushed her out of the way and got dragged for a km and was killed.

a month ago a girl whos a friend of mine was walking home from a bachelorette party and called her mom to pick her up as she was visiting ontario as she lived in bc. Well as her mom approached where she was going to pick up her daughter a guy stopped her and said that a girl had wandered on the road and was texting and a the guy looked down at his cd player for a qucik glance and bamm squished on the ground she was dead.

If you take proper precautions most of these tragedies can be avoided.

STUPID DECISIONS BY KIDS WILL ALWAYS BE MADE UNFORTUNATELY!!

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-09-2012 11:25 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      that kid had no business being in a car like that.

in my experience, every young driver who has a wrx or an sti wrecks it. i think ive known one person under the age of 22 who kept it out of the trees long enough to sell it and buy something else and he didnt drive all that fast. one kid in my grade in high school slid off the road and hit a tree, breaking both his legs and almost dying in a fire. another kid was drunk and stoned running from the cops and hit a tree 15ft up in the air and spent a few months in a coma. there are a few more but i dont know the details, just that they dont have them anymore.

idk what it is about sti's and wrx's but everybody wrecks them.
      While it's true that anything can kill you....

A Corolla would have hit the tree at a lot slower rate.
      I doubt five kids would have piled in a Yaris in the middle of a night for a joy ride.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 11:30 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      A Corolla would have hit the tree at a lot slower rate.
      Not necessarily. You can still do 80-90-100+ mph in any of those economy cars. And crash just as badly.

I doubt five kids would have piled in a Yaris in the middle of a night for a joy ride.
      Weren't you ever a teenager? We used to pile 4 or 5 into my friend's Mercury LN7 when we were in HS -- and that only had 2 seats!

I'm sure it goes without saying, but if the me of today could talk to the 16-year-old me, I'd kick my ass up and down the block.

12. 10-09-2012 11:32 AM #62
      This is why you don't give fast cars to young kids. I had a 20 year old friend who got a C63 AMG as a graduation present and he crashed it against a guard rail in the freeway. Now he has an M3, which he still drives in the same, stupid manner (taking onramps and offramps at a high rate of speed, speeding over 80mph, etc.)
      @WhiteOnRice32

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      10-09-2012 11:32 AM #63
      Save the Children! Mandatory Subaru 360s for all Learner's Permit drivers!

The thing with any teenager is, they're dumb. They think they're smart, they think they're skilled. But they aren't. We've all been there, nobody could tell us anything. Didn't matter what car it was we all wanted to "see what it would do". Hell, I pegged my 1990 Subaru Justy off the rev limiter at 155km/h in 5th gear just to see how fast it would go downhill on the highway. That's stupid fast in a small 3cyl car. So even slow cars don't make safe drivers.

Kids have been taking chances since the beginning of time. Some make it out and survive to adulthood, others don't. It's a shame but that's life and it's all part of learning and growing up.
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 10-09-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 11:33 AM #64
      Weren't you ever a teenager?
      LOL, of course. That's what I was basing that on. I tended to show off less if I was in a slower, ordinary car.

Update - his parents just found this on their front porch. Sad, it came a day too late.

10-09-2012 11:34 AM #65
      Damn and up go the premiums. I wanted one until I saw the insurance premiums!
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      06 Mazdaspeed6 Sport
      10-09-2012 11:35 AM #66
      Something very similar to this happened to a kid I knew from high school last Monday. He just turned 18. (I'm 20). He is a senior and he got an M3 as a first car. He crashed in a horrific fashion, at 110mph (speedometer is stuck there), the day he got it. No insurance or anything. He spent the week in critical condition. Broke his neck and had head trauma and all that good stuff. He was, however, wearing his seat belt which surely saved his life. Here is a picture of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      Brad looks like a Clydesdale that got hit with the ugly truck.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 11:36 AM #67
      Update - his parents just found this on their front porch. Sad, it came a day too late.
      What is it? A book on how not to drive like an asshat?

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 11:37 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      What is it? A book on how not to drive like an asshat?
      Nope, Cobb short shifter.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 11:43 AM #69
      See i'm all for being an enthusiast and all, hell I was ridiculously into cars my entire life.

My parents probably saved my life by encouraging me to buy a Jeep YJ as my first vehicle. Seriously. I was always into Jeeps too and my parents would tell me how stupid it would be in our winter climate to own a 240SX or anything "sporty".

I didn't get into any sports cars until age 22-23. Probably would've taken too many chances at a younger age. My parents don't give a rat's ass what I blow my money on now that I own a house and have proven I am responsible with cars, they encourage the car hobby. But to encourage short shifters, "go fast bits" etc. at 17 with a learner's permit is borderline assisted suicide. This isn't a new concept either.

Vehicles
      2012 Honda Accord, Truck, Boat, Quad
      10-09-2012 11:48 AM #70
      odds are he won't learn.

back in high school a kid i grew up with was drunk driving his audi with another friend - crashed it, killed the kid.

Fast foward..eh...6-7 years - pulled the boat out of the river, hear some cans fall in the parking lot - there he is - picking up his beers, drunk, locks his car, hops on a boat full of the same kids..just now grown up.
      Quote Originally Posted by nicoli View Post
      Wow... Who says Hondas have no torque?

CRV: cranial removal vehicle

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      10-09-2012 11:53 AM #71
      Parents should be responsible for being ****ing idiots and giving their kid an STi with a learners permit.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 12:01 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      But to encourage short shifters, "go fast bits" etc. at 17 with a learner's permit is borderline assisted suicide. This isn't a new concept either.
      That was a reference to another STi thread.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Tale-of-a-STI

23. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-09-2012 12:02 PM #73
      i love how everyone is arguing about him being out at 3am, as if he couldn't have done this at 10pm? what difference does the time make? another thing is that if the driver DID survive, he most likely is going to jail.

Vehicles
      135i, Z4si, A6
      10-09-2012 12:05 PM #74
      Heh the only picture of the driver they could find was with him flipping off the camera?

Vehicles
      04 R32
      10-09-2012 12:09 PM #75
      When ever a fatal accident happens I always wonder if the seat belt would of saved a life. In this case it would of kept the 4 kids from being thrown out so who knows. We had a kid die in a car accident last year on prom night, no belt and it was the day before mothers day. I dont allow people in my car with no belt, my gf has gotten flipped out on a few times for it.
      Heart pumping antifreeze as I stand here.

Lloyd Banks

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast