The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Horrific Subaru Impreza accident 4 teens killed

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-10-2012 12:58 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      It is probably manslaughter. Jail time will depend on whether he was intoxicated.
      Which is a damn shame that you can get away with murder solely because you were high or drunk.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-10-2012 01:02 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Which is a damn shame that you can get away with murder solely because you were high or drunk.
      Uhm, his punishment will be much more serious if he is intoxicated. In California, it is the only way vehicular manslaughter can be raised to 2nd degree murder.

Also, vehicular manslaughter is manslaughter, not murder, because it lacks the proper intent. There is a big difference between being a dumb**** and shooting someone, even if the result is the same.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-10-2012 01:44 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Uhm, his punishment will be much more serious if he is intoxicated. In California, it is the only way vehicular manslaughter can be raised to 2nd degree murder.

Also, vehicular manslaughter is manslaughter, not murder, because it lacks the proper intent. There is a big difference between being a dumb**** and shooting someone, even if the result is the same.
      I hope you're right about this.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 04:40 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      I hope you're right about this.
      I'm right in California. Dunno anything about NY law.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-10-2012 05:20 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      And what's your 17 year old kid doing out at 3AM?? A little parental structure goes a long way, you know.
      My son goes to bed at 10pm before school days. He stays up until 11pm or sometimes midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. Rarely, there is a sleep-over we have trouble controlling until 2pm. However, none of his friends (except one) own a car or would drive home at such hours. Also, he is well aware of the cumulative cost of car ownership. I have no idea how the parents in this particular case can afford their son to drive a new WRX or STi. I make a very decent living, but I will have to take out a loan if my son decides he wants a car, and it won't be for more than a few $ thousand. YMMV.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

6. 10-10-2012 06:45 AM #131
      My first car was a BMW 2002. The day I got my license, on my 16th birthday, I was entrusted with driving my sister and two other classmates to school. Silly me, I took that trust seriously, and we never had a problem of any kind.

This case is Darwin in action.

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      10-10-2012 07:28 AM #132
      just saw a friend's facebook post. the guyanese community in richmond hill is tight, having a nice car like the STI makes you even more known. one of his friends knew the kid (Chris Khan?) its tragic that so many lives were lost.
      Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-10-2012 07:40 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I have no idea how the parents in this particular case can afford their son to drive a new WRX or STi. I make a very decent living, but I will have to take out a loan if my son decides he wants a car, and it won't be for more than a few $ thousand. YMMV.
      It is all about vicarious living.
      I have worked with such parents... they work to pay off a new car loan, even put their kids in fancy condos at college (on a huge loan).
      When I start asking questions about expense and such, I typically get the "I don't want my kid to have to go through what I went through" response.
      Oh, you mean all that stuff that helped build your character?
      Yeah, that would suck.

We usually get several "but I had a (insert some fast car) when I started driving and was fine." comments when we question giving a new driver a high performance car.
      Anomalies do not create a trend.

Would we give an assault rifle to somebody that's never fired a gun before and say "Have fun.. but be careful"?
      Would you give a large quantity of PCP to somebody that's never done drugs before and say "Now, be careful..(wink wink)"?
      And I have never heard anybody suggest a superbike is a good first motorcycle choice.

While almost any car made in the last 20 years will go fast enough to fly off the road- given enough room to accelerate- high performance cars can accelerate much quicker to those ultra dangerous speeds.

And I agree with the no passengers rule with new drivers.
      Peer pressure can be very powerful.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      10-10-2012 08:22 AM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Peer pressure can be very powerful.
      That is where good parenting comes in or it does not. In this case it probably did not.

Vehicles
      99.5 Golf TDI 2dr, 92 Miata, 11 TerraTrike Path 8
      10-10-2012 09:13 AM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      And I have never heard anybody suggest a superbike is a good first motorcycle choice.
      The sad thing is, I actually HAVE heard people recommending 600 sportbikes as good first motorcycles, to grow into a liter superbike.

(Even an average 650, which tends to be set up to not have nearly as much high end power, would be a better first motorcycle, but even that's not good.)

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-10-2012 09:18 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      My son goes to bed at 10pm before school days. He stays up until 11pm or sometimes midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. Rarely, there is a sleep-over we have trouble controlling until 2pm. However, none of his friends (except one) own a car or would drive home at such hours. Also, he is well aware of the cumulative cost of car ownership. I have no idea how the parents in this particular case can afford their son to drive a new WRX or STi. I make a very decent living, but I will have to take out a loan if my son decides he wants a car, and it won't be for more than a few $ thousand. YMMV.
      Those two do not compute. If you make a good living, you shouldn't need a loan to buy a car. Hell, my dad make ~$300k a year as kids and he paid for everything cash, including my sister's four years at Notre Dame, my college, and my other two siblings college educations, in full.

There is a multitude of difference from the level of this kid to most people. I had friends at my private school that got those 'sweet 16' parties ... you just can't comprehend the level of financial power some people have in this world.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-10-2012 09:28 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Those two do not compute.
      They don't have to. We have no idea what goes out every month at the feels_road household.

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      10-10-2012 09:53 AM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      They don't have to. We have no idea what goes out every month at the feels_road household.

exactly. $300,000.00 may go miles in Ohio but come to NYC and that is "comfortable" living.
      Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI Tornado Red
      10-10-2012 10:07 AM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Those two do not compute. If you make a good living, you shouldn't need a loan to buy a car. Hell, my dad make ~$300k a year as kids and he paid for everything cash, including my sister's four years at Notre Dame, my college, and my other two siblings college educations, in full.

There is a multitude of difference from the level of this kid to most people. I had friends at my private school that got those 'sweet 16' parties ... you just can't comprehend the level of financial power some people have in this world.
      Normally decent living means not having to worry about pinching pennies every month, not top 3% of earners...

Me, I make a good living, and I take out loans to pay for my cars. Why? cause 1.9% interest is a better investment over 4 years than losing my modest 5% interest on my mutual funds. For some taking loans out makes sense, from a long term profit gained standpoint.

Vehicles
      99.5 Golf TDI 2dr, 92 Miata, 11 TerraTrike Path 8
      10-10-2012 10:09 AM #140
      Also, it depends on his standard of "decent living".

Around here, $50k is a "decent living" (I think the average for my area is under $30k), but if you want a new car, and have a family, you're certainly taking out a loan.

My parents, though, couldn't even think of buying a car for me - I bought all of my cars with cash. My first car was $1200, and was an 85 Jetta diesel. (This was in 2005, I was 17.)
      Last edited by bhtooefr; 10-10-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-10-2012 10:10 AM #141
      Sorry, I didn't mean that comment to impugn anyone, but I was merely making the point that in Queens (where these kids were from) a $40,000 STI might just be an average price to pay for a car. I know a lot of people that give their kids the Audi A6 or the Audi A4 and those cars are $40k+ easy.

All I was trying to say is that there are a lot of people that don't need to second guess buying a car like an STI. These parents probably thought nothing of it if they bought it for his high school graduation.

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      10-10-2012 02:07 PM #142

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...t-of-hospital/

Four 18-year-old passengers – Darian Ramnarine, Christopher Khan, Neal Rajaba and Peter Anthony – died instantly. The group were all said to be childhood buddies who grew up together in Queens.

Sources told CBS 2 Beer has admitted the group was smoking marijuana before the crash.

Beer was driving with a learner’s permit. However driving with a learner’s permit is only allowed if someone 21 or older is in the car at the time.

So far, no criminal charges have been filed, but an announcement about the case is expected to be made later today.

The Southern State Parkway is one of the deadliest roads in the area, WCBS 880′s Mike Xirinachs reported. AAA said that’s due to poor lighting, heavy traffic and frequent speeding.

18. 10-10-2012 02:20 PM #143
      Pampered children and sporty cars don't mix.

If it was the parent's car, don't let them drive it. If it was theirs, they shouldn't have bought it for their child.

I did stupid stuff as a teenager in a car, but my car was a 1990 Grand Prix piece of junk. So I couldn't really 'race' anyone or corner myself into a row of trees.

Kids have no place behind the wheel of something like that. What's wrong with a late 90's early 2000's Civic LX or DX?

Vehicles
      2003 GTI, 1985 GTI
      10-10-2012 03:03 PM #144
      http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...ital-1.4097330

Quote Originally Posted by Newsday
      Members of the Lakeview Fire Department were among the first responders on the scene.
      "The only smell that we had, that we could detect was the fuel smell coming out of the vehicle," said Lakeview Fire Chief Heather Senti. "I did not smell any type of narcotic coming out of the vehicle."
      Last edited by Taran; 10-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-10-2012 04:02 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Taran View Post
      http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...ital-1.4097330
      Originally Posted by Newsday

Members of the Lakeview Fire Department were among the first responders on the scene.
      "The only smell that we had, that we could detect was the fuel smell coming out of the vehicle," said Lakeview Fire Chief Heather Senti. "I did not smell any type of narcotic coming out of the vehicle."
      Did someone say he was smoking in the car?

21. Banned
      10-10-2012 04:04 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by ncsumecheng View Post
      Kids have no place behind the wheel of something like that. What's wrong with a late 90's early 2000's Civic LX or DX?
      Let me tell you how it works in the real world. In the real world, I can either get an STi, or I can be the only kid without one, which singles me out, and causes the other kids to make fun of me and kick my ass.

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '11 MCS, '03 K1500HD, '83 GS450
      10-10-2012 04:22 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
      The sad thing is, I actually HAVE heard people recommending 600 sportbikes as good first motorcycles, to grow into a liter superbike.
      So you've been to the Motorcycle & ATV forum?

Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6
      Let me tell you how it works in the real world. In the real world, I can either get an STi, or I can be the only kid without one, which singles me out, and causes the other kids to make fun of me and kick my ass.
      Not sure if serious....

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      where have i backpedaled?

23. Banned
      10-10-2012 04:26 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Not sure if serious....
      Why else would a kid in highschool ask for an Evo/STi/S4/MS3/pretty much anything with a turbo?

Just to look cool and show off.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 04:30 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by ncsumecheng View Post

The major difference between these cars is that in the cars you suggest no one would have survived.
      I wouldn't by my kid a new or a fast car, but the appeal of ESP and 12,000 airbags is pretty strong.

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '11 MCS, '03 K1500HD, '83 GS450
      10-10-2012 04:36 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      Why else would a kid in highschool ask for an Evo/STi/S4/MS3/pretty much anything with a turbo?

Just to look cool and show off.
      My issue was that a comment like that could not have possibly come from the real world. Unless you're talking about the MTV "reality" show that went by that name.

I guess the forum software should be modified to change "the real" to "my local" and reduce the ambiguity the way it changes a euphemism for committing suicide into "i love you man".

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      where have i backpedaled?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast