Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * Tips on getting your car in Photos and Videos at Events like H2Oi *

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 09:34 AM #1
      Year after year, the pictures and videos start to get posted and people get butt hurt that their car didn't make it into any. So being a videographer myself I figured I would share some things I look for when picking cars to shoot so maybe it will help people out.

My video from H2oi http://youtu.be/96hSuYkA1EY?hd=1

1. Do something unique: Wheels, Paint Job, etc I know it's getting harder and harder to do something different when now weird and odd is the normal, and CCW classics are on every car, but do something you don't always see. (In a good way)

2. Be everywhere: With photographers and videographers coming out of the woodwork to try and capture their own experience you need to go to as many meets, as many events as possible. Increase the chances of the car being seen and you will increase the chances of pictures/video. Simple

3. Stage your own car: Parking lots are not the most photogenic places, photographers don't really want to shoot cars all lined up. Pick a spot against a wall, near a curb, under a creepy tree. Make sure your wheels aren't turned to really stupid positions, straight or wheel face slightly turned out is ok. Also if you can make sure the sun is exposing the side of the car, that would be photographed is a big help too

4. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN: Not only the mods, but the paint, the wheels, etc. Yes photoshop is a great tool and can help fix certain areas on a photo or make a car look better then in person. But you can only polish a turd so much, CLEAN YOUR ISH!!

5. Take your own... It's not a douche move if you take photo's of your own car.... it's easier for you to do all of the things above, clean, find location, get perfect lighting etc if you control all of those factors. DSLRs are getting cheaper and cheaper, and it seems like everyone and their brother has one. So take some of your own car, post them up. Just don't post 50,000 of your own car that's douchy, but one or two is cool.

That's all for now, unless you have something else?
      || Facebook | Youtube | Website | Flickr || @BsaintMedia Instagram.

Booking SoWo 2014 Private Shoots Here

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MB 560SL
      10-09-2012 09:55 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
      1. Do something unique: Wheels, Paint Job, etc I know it's getting harder and harder to do something different when now weird and odd is the normal, and CCW classics are on every car, but do something you don't always see. (In a good way)
      I feel like this is really the key. I'll add one more though.

6. Make friends with a photographer. There are thousands of nice cars at H20 every year, and even though there are hundreds of people carrying around DSLRs, that doesn't give you great odds of finding a picture of your car online. But if you make friend's with some of the photographers, you'll have a much greater chance of getting a pic taken. When I'm doing panning shots on the strip, I generally only take pictures of cars that stand out and cars that I know the owner's of.

I generally don't even bring my camera to the meets.
      Jason
      flickr

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 10:28 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
      I feel like this is really the key. I'll add one more though.

6. Make friends with a photographer. There are thousands of nice cars at H20 every year, and even though there are hundreds of people carrying around DSLRs, that doesn't give you great odds of finding a picture of your car online. But if you make friend's with some of the photographers, you'll have a much greater chance of getting a pic taken. When I'm doing panning shots on the strip, I generally only take pictures of cars that stand out and cars that I know the owner's of.

I generally don't even bring my camera to the meets.
      Deff a good one,

Because at the end of the day who knows there might be a bunch of photos of your car, but if you don't know where to look or find them what does it help.

I always carry business cards, and information for people so they can find their car

Vehicles
      Pan Scraper
      10-09-2012 11:17 AM #4
      Great thread idea

5. Banner Advertiser
      10-09-2012 11:23 AM #5
      That's a nicely put together video, and you've obviously got some skills in the editing department, well done!

But I do find this thread to be a bit hypocritical. You're trying to explain to people how to make their cars more appealing to those shooting, but in your own video you revisit the same almost-stock B7 S/RS4's over and over, as well as a few other cars, that in my opinion don't jump off the screen any more than any other run-of-the-mill cookie-cutter car(s) out there. Granted, there are a few really unique cars in the video that have proven to be more popular among photo threads and videos thusfar, but they weren't showcased like the stock-looking RS4 on stock wheels and suspension.

Just my .02, one car owner and photographer to another.

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 11:45 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by sdobbins View Post
      That's a nicely put together video, and you've obviously got some skills in the editing department, well done!

But I do find this thread to be a bit hypocritical. You're trying to explain to people how to make their cars more appealing to those shooting, but in your own video you revisit the same almost-stock B7 S/RS4's over and over, as well as a few other cars, that in my opinion don't jump off the screen any more than any other run-of-the-mill cookie-cutter car(s) out there. Granted, there are a few really unique cars in the video that have proven to be more popular among photo threads and videos thusfar, but they weren't showcased like the stock-looking RS4 on stock wheels and suspension.

Just my .02, one car owner and photographer to another.
      Thank you and I understand,

however that's where rule #6 #3 & #4 comes into play. Be friends with the photographer, Right place, right time (being everywhere), and make sure your car is clean Rare is also helpful

7. Member
      Vehicles
      09 tiguan, 911tt, na miata
      10-09-2012 12:30 PM #7
      I had the only modded 996TT there and my car is nowhere to be found hahaha

if you want a car to be shot or whatever just pay to have someone do it and that is it..

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 12:40 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by andresito360 View Post

if you want a car to be shot or whatever just pay to have someone do it and that is it..
      That's true too,

And I have a few shots of a gray modded 996 turbo and a yellow 996 turbo, however the video wasn't the best as they were just shots of them flooring it in traffic.

Vehicles
      09 jetta SE
      10-09-2012 01:04 PM #9
      you basically have to stay on the strip 24/7, do something CRAZY to your ride, go to the show or act like a fool... you will get your picture taken plenty...
      AKdub | I NY | THREE.8.WERKS...Ferdinand's Crew | Wheel Build | IG: @AKrapheal

Vehicles
      2003 Gti, 2001 Wolfsburg
      10-09-2012 01:14 PM #10
      Funny how much people care about there car getting photos. But your list is pretty much straight on if someone wants a photo. Or they could just pay us photographers to snap a few 😁
      The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #268 "Like 6 cylinder of 15 degree sex"

(_fishbowl society_)

Vehicles
      8v
      10-09-2012 01:17 PM #11
      7. Bring BMW/Mercedes to Volkswagen/Audi show: This
      VWfiends

Vehicles
      2009 VW CC
      10-09-2012 01:38 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by zrace07 View Post
      That's truth right there.

But to the op very good advice. My car stayed at hotel parking garage 90% of the time. Still had some shots taken of it. I have two photographers i use and in my opinion just as yours this is the best way to get your car out there.

But we do love seeing stupid **** in pictures so y'all keep up the foolish stuff and people will continue to take pics of you.

Sent from the tip of my fingers using tapatalk

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      10-09-2012 02:03 PM #13
      8. Dildo attached to interior glass.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 02:08 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      8. Dildo attached to interior glass.
      not exactly something I'd recommend

But sure if you think that's different (in a good way)

I personally try and stay away from shooting burnouts, stupid behavior, because I don't want everyone coming to H2oi thinking thats what it takes to get into a video. We already have enough stupid people doing stupid things at H2oi and risking the chances of the event year after year.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MB 560SL
      10-09-2012 02:09 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by zrace07 View Post
      I brought what I consider to be a very unique Mercedes and have only found one picture of it that I didn't take. Take that for whatever it's worth
      Jason
      flickr

Vehicles
      funbagged A4
      10-09-2012 02:24 PM #16
      I would put right place right time ahead of anything.

If I roll into the strip and strap up (lol), I am going to shoot the nicest looking cars I see. If im on the strip doing rollers, and your car looks good, I'm taking a picture. However, best in show could roll by later, and I may not be there.

As far as H2O goes, there is so much going on all over the place, that it's nearly impossible to catch everyone...I think each year all us "photographers" just do the best we can with were we are and what is in front of us.

And, as said before, if you are someone who wants shots of their car by the end of the weekend, then contact one of the many of us to shoot it...and that way you wont get your car parked beside others, you'll get nice private ones.

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      10-09-2012 02:29 PM #17
      so spraybombing a bunch of squares onto a r32 gets you into photos and videos?

or how about a purple honda hatch that nobody should give a **** about somehow ends up in every photo batch and video batch

no...

CLEAN cars that FLOW should be making it into photos and videos .. i see some of these photo threads and i wonder what the camera operator was smoking for them to WANT to take shots of certain cars

timing is everything at a show like this .. i drove the strip back and forth back and forth friday-monday yet i havent seen one roller on the strip .. i honestly dont care, cause i was giving the people on the corners what they wanted .. 3.2 liters of boosted fury coming out of a side exit ..

I somehow missed seeing a TON of cars i was looking forward to seeing .. you cant be everywhere at once

you shot my wheels @2 minutes in your video .. why not my bay though ... I put a TON of time and money into it to make it unique and give it a WHOA WTF factor yet you shot a clip of my work equips? Next time you see a gold turbo let me know..
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 10-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Vehicles
      funbagged A4
      10-09-2012 02:54 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by JDM-JTI View Post
      you shot my wheels @2 minutes in your video .. why not my bay though ... I put a TON of time and money into it to make it unique and give it a WHOA WTF factor yet you shot a clip of my work equips? Next time you see a gold turbo let me know..
      One thing I will note, as I ran around and took pictures/shot video during the weekend. Even if the car was amazing, if there was a crowd swarming around your bay/interior/car in general at the time that I was passing by, it wasn't getting shot. And that has nothing to do with me thinking it wasn't worth my time, but with the amount of time during the day, and the amount of **** going on, the show must go on...so to speak.

I can't tell you how much time I spent on my knees, with the lens pointed at the front of a car, waiting for a crowd to move, or for people to stop walking in front of the camera. It's not their fault, but it's difficult.

P.S your car is fuggin dope

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 03:02 PM #19

or how about a purple honda hatch that nobody should give a **** about somehow ends up in every photo batch and video batch

no...

CLEAN cars that FLOW should be making it into photos and videos .. i see some of these photo threads and i wonder what the camera operator was smoking for them to WANT to take shots of certain cars

timing is everything at a show like this .. i drove the strip back and forth back and forth friday-monday yet i havent seen one roller on the strip .. i honestly dont care, cause i was giving the people on the corners what they wanted .. 3.2 liters of boosted fury coming out of a side exit ..

I somehow missed seeing a TON of cars i was looking forward to seeing .. you cant be everywhere at once

I do try and show clean unique cars, and say what you want that squared R32 was different, it didn't look bad. Sure it wasn't the time spent that you did under your engine, but driving around the strip you could see it from a mile away.

I didn't shoot nor will I ever shoot the purple civics lol and I think a lot of people shot it because all of the talk last year surrounding a purple civic and why it was there etc etc.

Also another thing I saw your car at the show, but didn't see it at any other meet, no other event, or even driving on the strip...

Next time before H2Oi email me like a lot of people did and lets set up some private shoots, like I did with the Red RS4 and the other two RS4s.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathLens View Post
      One thing I will note, as I ran around and took pictures/shot video during the weekend. Even if the car was amazing, if there was a crowd swarming around your bay/interior/car in general at the time that I was passing by, it wasn't getting shot. And that has nothing to do with me thinking it wasn't worth my time, but with the amount of time during the day, and the amount of **** going on, the show must go on...so to speak.

I can't tell you how much time I spent on my knees, with the lens pointed at the front of a car, waiting for a crowd to move, or for people to stop walking in front of the camera. It's not their fault, but it's difficult.

P.S your car is fuggin dope
      +1

Too many people crowding around your engine bay otherwise I would have, lol and I can't sit there for 30 minutes to get a clear shot, I have a lot to try and get in and see.

But hey atleast your wheels got in!
      Last edited by Bsaint; 10-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Vehicles
      1985 Motor Trend Car of the Year
      10-09-2012 03:08 PM #20

Not true. Scott brought his yellow 996TT it's quite modded. Seen him in quite a few videos too.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 04:03 PM #21

Too many people crowding around your engine bay otherwise I would have, lol and I can't sit there for 30 minutes to get a clear shot, I have a lot to try and get in and see.

But hey atleast your wheels got in!
      that is true .. my girlfriend even made that observation that there seemed to always be a group of people sticking their heads in my bay going WTF

the idea of the squared r32 was cool .. but up close the execution was wayyyyyyyyyy wayyy off .. and i wish he didnt spray the bumper mesh either

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 04:05 PM #22
      that is true .. my girlfriend even made that observation that there seemed to always be a group of people sticking their heads in my bay going WTF

the idea of the squared r32 was cool .. but up close the execution was wayyyyyyyyyy wayyy off .. and i wish he didnt spray the bumper mesh either
      Apparently he plasti dipped the car before he did it, it is all able to peal off.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      A4 B5 V6
      10-09-2012 04:16 PM #23
      #2 should be #1 IMO. I got a nice roller of my POS leaving the show. I was goin thru pics looking to see what i missed and seen it. I was like "WTF, someone got a roller of me....nice"

no...

You sound a little butthurt

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 04:26 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post

You sound a little butthurt
      no not at all .. i own a t2i with a few lenses and my brother does professional cinematography .. if i wanted photos or videos i would ask

just don't understand seeing 300 cameras being pointed at my car on the strip and nothing gets posted .. i simply wanted a shot on the strip for my facebook coverphoto ... DUH!

Vehicles
      Pan Scraper
      10-09-2012 04:52 PM #25
      no not at all .. i own a t2i with a few lenses and my brother does professional cinematography .. if i wanted photos or videos i would ask

just don't understand seeing 300 cameras being pointed at my car on the strip and nothing gets posted .. i simply wanted a shot on the strip for my facebook coverphoto ... DUH!
      No I think he's right, your GF slapped your ass a few too many times making your butt hurt..

Check my Vid out

26. 10-09-2012 04:53 PM #26
      I do try and show clean unique cars, and say what you want that squared R32 was different, it didn't look bad. Sure it wasn't the time spent that you did under your engine, but driving around the strip you could see it from a mile away.

Thanks, it was fun and it peels off. For the record I have clean cars, my cabrio placed last year at H20 and I saw one pic of it, and that was only due to my wife putting her feet on the dash.

I am in the middle of shaving my bay on the cabrio now.. its a ton of very hard work.. unless you do it, you can never really apreciate the work. I can honestly say the R32 was way more fun and interesting to see peoples reactions.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI
      10-09-2012 05:32 PM #27
      this is list is pretty good. usually if i don't shoot a car it's because it's in a bad spot or there are too many people swarming it.

Vehicles
      funbagged A4
      10-09-2012 06:32 PM #28
      I hear yah. On two separate occasions I watched two different people take photos of my car, once at the hotel and once on the strip rolling...I even aired out for one of them Both had Canon SLR's with what looked like 24-70 L's, I have yet to find either of those pictures.

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 06:45 PM #29
      Another thing you have to remember everyone.

A photographer will take thousands of photos during an event like H2oi and takes a long time to go through them. When there are THAT many of them they will be selective of their favorite stuff.

Thats where some of my tips come into play, if you staged your car, it's clean and the shot has potential they won't pass it up while editing their batch of photo's and most likely you will see it. But if it's just in a parking lot and parked there, you probably will get skipped during the editing process.

Just because a guy snaps a shot of your car with his expensive camera/gear doesn't mean a thing.

Another thing when meeting or talking to the photographer will help, if he KNOWS you are going to be looking for shots of your car, or help him promote his work. He will without a doubt edit even the most craptastic shot of your ride to make you happy. Because well... you met him/her and hopefully you were nice.
      Last edited by Bsaint; 10-09-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI
      10-09-2012 06:59 PM #30
      Just because a guy snaps a shot of your car with his expensive camera/gear doesn't mean a thing.

Another thing when meeting or talking to the photographer will help, if he KNOWS you are going to be looking for shots of your car, or help him promote his work. He will without a doubt edit even the most craptastic shot of your ride to make you happy. Because well... you met him/her and hopefully you were nice.

this. also, not ever shot comes out. sure their digital and can be reviewed immediately afteward, but sometimes things are visible in larger format that ruin the shot (i.e. slightly out of focus).

and it's always nice when people are outwardly receptive to having their cars shot. i (we?) don't necessarily want a big hug or anything awkward, but a 'hey thanks for taking a shot of my car, is there a place where you'll be uploading them?' is always well received. you could always give them an email address too if you really want the shots. i think most photo people would be open to that.

Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-09-2012 07:06 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by apollosfury View Post
      this. also, not ever shot comes out. sure their digital and can be reviewed immediately afteward, but sometimes things are visible in larger format that ruin the shot (i.e. slightly out of focus).

and it's always nice when people are outwardly receptive to having their cars shot. i (we?) don't necessarily want a big hug or anything awkward, but a 'hey thanks for taking a shot of my car, is there a place where you'll be uploading them?' is always well received. you could always give them an email address too if you really want the shots. i think most photo people would be open to that.
      Yup without a doubt I don't mind, this is even how I met a lot of my really good friends now. Meets, events taking pictures talking on forums .. just talking.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI, 2002 TT, 2002 Allroad, 1987 Cabriolet
      10-09-2012 07:46 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by DeathLens View Post
      I hear yah. On two separate occasions I watched two different people take photos of my car, once at the hotel and once on the strip rolling...I even aired out for one of them Both had Canon SLR's with what looked like 24-70 L's, I have yet to find either of those pictures.

Were either of those occasions at 61st Street? I was only out there on Friday for a few hours in the afternoon but got about 1100 'decent' shots. I was shooting with a Canon 40d and a 24-70 L lens so that's why I ask... I have to admit that I shot pretty much any car I thought might be there for the event whether they were VAG or non VAG, show worthy or not. I know people like to see shots of their cars in action on the strip so I just sat/stood there and clicked away on whatever showed up through the viewfinder

My editing skills leave much to be desired learning how to use p-shop is on my list

Vehicles
      JB 20th 3769(sold), Jazz Blue BT 20th(Sold), DBP R33...T, 2005 Aspen STi(gone), 97 jeep!
      10-09-2012 08:25 PM #33

its ok Mitch im swapping to a 1.9 diesel with a 4 inch strait pipe...Chris ( DR.B) and i already talked about it ....... open wastegate doesnt make videos, sh*ts old news

Vehicles
      JB 20th 3769(sold), Jazz Blue BT 20th(Sold), DBP R33...T, 2005 Aspen STi(gone), 97 jeep!
      10-09-2012 08:26 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by meechelle View Post
      Were either of those occasions at 61st Street? I was only out there on Friday for a few hours in the afternoon but got about 1100 'decent' shots. I was shooting with a Canon 40d and a 24-70 L lens so that's why I ask... I have to admit that I shot pretty much any car I thought might be there for the event whether they were VAG or non VAG, show worthy or not. I know people like to see shots of their cars in action on the strip so I just sat/stood there and clicked away on whatever showed up through the viewfinder

My editing skills leave much to be desired learning how to use p-shop is on my list
      The shot you got of my car is great i love it, Thanks!

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      10-09-2012 08:52 PM #35

Weren't you the one that ruined a 911 turbo with ridiculous negative camber and lowering it on the ground?

I'd have taken a photo for my own collection if it weren't ruined.
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast