Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mach 1.1 freefall! Red Bull Stratos

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 10:19 AM #1
      Red Bull Stratos aims to provide information that will further the progression of aerospace safety

USAF Col. Joe Kittinger (Ret.) knows the value of scientific research, which is why he is a pivotal leader of this team. The results from this mission will benefit the science community by offering data that could help develop the next generation space suits, establish viable escape procedures for passengers and crew in space, and create parachutes with state of the art safety systems.

Like any transportation system, high-altitude flights need safety procedures; but currently, researchers don't know if it's possible to bail out from ultra-high altitudes. What would happen to a human falling to Earth faster than the speed of sound? Would a spacesuit provide sufficient protection? Would GPS equipment function? Could a drogue parachute provide adequate stabilization?

Worldwide, the answers to such questions are vital. Aviators and astronauts look to extend the boundaries of their exploration and - with the opening of facilities like SpacePort America - the day when everyday people can become space tourists is on the horizon. The mission's findings may point the way toward developing escape systems for the space tourists of the future, as well as for the pilots and astronauts who already need suborbital systems today.

SCIENTIFIC CONTRIBUTION FOCUS
      Red Bull Stratos aims to provide information that will further the progression of aerospace safety. The key benefits for the science community are as follows:

- To aid development of a new generation of space suits - including enhanced mobility and visual clarity - and other systems to lead toward passenger/crew exit from space.

- To aid development of protocols for exposure to high altitude/high acceleration.

- To aid exploration of the effects on the human body of supersonic acceleration and deceleration, including development of the latest innovations in parachute systems.

POTENTIAL BENCHMARKS

- Reaching supersonic speed in freefall:First person to achieve the speed of sound (Mach 1) in freefall without mechanical assistance. Speed estimated to be about 690 miles per hour at point of breaking sound barrier; acceleration could continue to more than Mach 1.1 (previous record: 614 miles per hour, Mach 0.9).

- Freefall from highest altitude:Expected jump from approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 102,800 feet).

- Longest freefall time:Expected freefall duration of about 5 minutes, 35 seconds (previous record: 4 minutes, 36 seconds).

- Highest manned balloon flight:Expected float altitude of approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 113,740 feet).

All figures approximate based on anticipated conditions and projected factors.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/
      MKIV Jetta VR6-SOLD
      E39 540IA Matte Black- SOLD
      MKVI Jetta TDI- 2012 Highline(CA) 6Speed l OEM Body Kit l Matte Orange Full Vinyl Wrap l H&R Sport Springs
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...I-Build-Thread

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-09-2012 10:22 AM #2
      404 car content not found
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

3. Banned
      10-09-2012 10:23 AM #3
      Read about this. Insane to say the least. But wrong section.

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 10:25 AM #4
      My apologies for the wrong section...but this thing involves crazy speed, so I figured you guys might be interested
      MKIV Jetta VR6-SOLD
      MKVI Jetta TDI- 2012 Highline(CA) 6Speed l OEM Body Kit l Matte Orange Full Vinyl Wrap l H&R Sport Springs

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE
      10-09-2012 10:28 AM #5

there is that one moment where you realize the word, "terror," is being defined.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-09-2012 10:30 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post

there is that one moment where you realize the word, "terror," is being defined.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-09-2012 10:30 AM #7
      Yeap. I hope they designed that suit with pants-****ting in mind.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      96' Caprice
      10-09-2012 10:32 AM #8

This guy has them... and they are huge.
      < Dan >

1996 Caprice - Ugly and Nasty

"Vortex Minecraft Server" - Handle "Duallie"

Vehicles
      B4S TDI Passat
      10-09-2012 10:37 AM #9
      Hope they got Adrian Newey to design the aerodynamics of that suit!

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-09-2012 10:43 AM #10
      No car content but I am watching this. Its delayed due to the weather at the jump altitude. Crazy doesnt even begin to describe...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      10-09-2012 10:51 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by frankieflowerz View Post

SCIENTIFIC CONTRIBUTION FOCUS
      Red Bull Stratos aims to provide information that will further the progression of aerospace safety. The key benefits for the science community are as follows:

- To aid development of a new generation of space suits - including enhanced mobility and visual clarity - and other systems to lead toward passenger/crew exit from space.
      They don't really need a guy jumping out of a basket for this. A vacuum chamber will do.

- To aid development of protocols for exposure to high altitude/high acceleration.
      The only reason there is high speed - (not acceleration because gravity isn't changing) is low resistance. Doing nothing he'll eventually slow to the same speeds a normal skydiver will travel.

- To aid exploration of the effects on the human body of supersonic acceleration and deceleration, including development of the latest innovations in parachute systems.
      Hope he's ready for 1g of acceleration and less then that of deceleration. I wonder if he could pop the chute the moment he leaves the capsule. It probably wouldn't do anything until the air density starts to go up anyway.

POTENTIAL BENCHMARKS

- Reaching supersonic speed in freefall:First person to achieve the speed of sound (Mach 1) in freefall without mechanical assistance. Speed estimated to be about 690 miles per hour at point of breaking sound barrier; acceleration could continue to more than Mach 1.1 (previous record: 614 miles per hour, Mach 0.9).

- Freefall from highest altitude:Expected jump from approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 102,800 feet).

- Longest freefall time:Expected freefall duration of about 5 minutes, 35 seconds (previous record: 4 minutes, 36 seconds).

- Highest manned balloon flight:Expected float altitude of approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 113,740 feet).

All figures approximate based on anticipated conditions and projected factors.
      A difference of 7 to 10,000 feet. Hardly seems worth the effort.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      10-09-2012 10:55 AM #12
      This is just crazy but cool at the same time.

13. 10-09-2012 10:56 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CBJ View Post
      So lets not break records anymore. The olympics, who needs that, when you are talking about .01 seconds of record breaking.
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      I don't give a fk how often I got called a banana slammer, I'd own that in a heartbeat, in addition to the proposed R version.

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 10:56 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownA34DR View Post

This guy has them... and they are huge.
      I’m pretty sure they included the weight of his ^ in the freefall equation of how fast he is going to reach Mach 1.1.
      MKIV Jetta VR6-SOLD

Vehicles
      2010 GT500
      10-09-2012 10:59 AM #15

"- Freefall from highest altitude:Expected jump from approximately 120,000 feet (previous record: 102,800 feet)"

120,000 - 102,800 =/= "7 to 10,000 feet."

16. 10-09-2012 10:59 AM #16

scared? yeah right! you got a 50/50 shot. live or die. more than likely gonna live, so **** it, send it.
      Sent from Commodore 64

17. 10-09-2012 10:59 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Robski92 View Post
      This is just crazy but cool at the same time.
      Extremely crazy and extremly cool....talk about bragging rights and being the man.
      Last edited by Jerico007; 10-15-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 11:03 AM #18

The difference is actually about 18,000 as previous record is 102,000.

The 113,000 is a record for highest balloon flight, not freefall jump.
      MKIV Jetta VR6-SOLD

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit, 8 Civic
      10-09-2012 11:05 AM #19
      Let's see if Red Bull will give him wings.

ha ha

ha
      ha...

ohhh.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

10-09-2012 11:06 AM #20
      I'm not an Engineer by any means, but I do remember in Physics hearing that the terminal velocity of a human is somewhere in the 220MPH range. How do they get such a drastically higher number? The suit?
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      10-09-2012 11:09 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      I'm not an Engineer by any means, but I do remember in Physics hearing that the terminal velocity of a human is somewhere in the 220MPH range. How do they get such a drastically higher number? The suit?
      Air resistance is significantly lower at that altitude.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-09-2012 11:11 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      Lower air density at higher altitude?
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device which exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-09-2012 11:15 AM #23
      How many browsers are open this morning that have RedBull text or imagery displayed on them?

Makes me wonder if RedBull sponsored it with the condition: "Delay it every 30 minutes and push it back six hours - blame the weather"

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 11:23 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      How many browsers are open this morning that have RedBull text or imagery displayed on them?

Makes me wonder if RedBull sponsored it with the condition: "Delay it every 30 minutes and push it back six hours - blame the weather"
      Coming from multi billion company, I would not be surprised…….but respect for sponsoring/funding/advertising all the crazy “sport” events they do. In the end it’s all advertisement, but at least we get to watch/witness some mad crazy stuff! If NASA was doing it, I would be watching this thing too, but they are not.
      MKIV Jetta VR6-SOLD

25. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-09-2012 11:26 AM #25
      it's on hold till 11:30 MDT

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Beetle
      10-09-2012 11:32 AM #26

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-09-2012 11:35 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      it's on hold till 11:30 MDT
      So, thats 130 EST?

28. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-09-2012 11:44 AM #28
      yea 2hrs head of mtn time

29. Member
      Vehicles
      96' Caprice
      10-09-2012 11:45 AM #29
      Be pretty cool to do the Iron Man sonic boom while he is falling. I wonder what it would feel like in a suit.

< Dan >

1996 Caprice - Ugly and Nasty

"Vortex Minecraft Server" - Handle "Duallie"

30. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CW Golf TDI, 2013 Evil Undead
      10-09-2012 11:46 AM #30
      Well aren't you just a funsucker today.

They don't really need a guy jumping out of a basket for this. A vacuum chamber will do.
      They don't really need F1 cars to prove aerodynamics either, just windtunnels...
      The real world is not a test cell, if it were then you wouldn't see any spy shots from BP because all of the testing could be done on a dyno.

The only reason there is high speed - (not acceleration because gravity isn't changing) is low resistance. Doing nothing he'll eventually slow to the same speeds a normal skydiver will travel.
      But since there is less resistance then there will be high speed, it's still really hot.

Hope he's ready for 1g of acceleration and less then that of deceleration. I wonder if he could pop the chute the moment he leaves the capsule. It probably wouldn't do anything until the air density starts to go up anyway.
      I think he's probably felt close to 1g of acceleration on every jump he's ever made minus wind resistance of course. And that circles us back to how his acceleration will in fact be higher than a jump at 1/2 the altitude because the force of gravity is constant, the opposing force of aero resistance change with the atmospheric pressure. His mass stays the same so that just leaves acceleration to vary.

As pointed out it's closer to 18,000 feet which is nearing 20%. That's huge! Even if it was only 10,000 feet it would be close to 10%, still a bigger deal than you are.

Keep sucking the fun out of this, I think it's pretty incredible that it's being done by a private company and publicized. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the military has already been testing at higher altitudes.
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

31. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-09-2012 11:52 AM #31
      Wind conditions have improved and the balloon is being laid out. Felix Baumgartner's suit up procedure is complete.

32. Banned
      10-09-2012 12:49 PM #32
      Cannot wait!

Vehicles
      05 Tin Can
      10-09-2012 12:51 PM #33
      Joe Kittinger says "been there, done that."

Source
      Turn down for what?

34. 10-09-2012 12:55 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by SoLo2pointO View Post
      Joe Kittinger says "been there, done that."

Source
      Joseph Kittinger is mentoring Felix and will be in communication with him from the ground. These too guys are the definition of bad asses.

To those that are crapping on this let's see you do it, but that means you would need to leave the comfort of your parents basement.

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      10-09-2012 12:56 PM #35
      Yup, and he is going to be on the other end of the radio with Felix during all of this ^

edit- beaten!
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast