Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mach 1.1 freefall! Red Bull Stratos

Vehicles
      2009 MINI Cooper JCW
      10-09-2012 01:02 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by CBJ View Post
      They don't really need a guy jumping out of a basket for this. A vacuum chamber will do.

The only reason there is high speed - (not acceleration because gravity isn't changing) is low resistance. Doing nothing he'll eventually slow to the same speeds a normal skydiver will travel.

Hope he's ready for 1g of acceleration and less then that of deceleration. I wonder if he could pop the chute the moment he leaves the capsule. It probably wouldn't do anything until the air density starts to go up anyway.

A difference of 7 to 10,000 feet. Hardly seems worth the effort.

Also: improper use of than invalidates your arguments.

2. 10-09-2012 01:04 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by pentaxshooter View Post
      edit- beaten!
      Were you at VIR this weekend?

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      10-09-2012 01:14 PM #38
      as a side note. that kittinger fellow is a giant badass in his own right:

Quote Originally Posted by wiki project excelsior
      The first test, Excelsior I, was made on November 16, 1959. Kittinger ascended in the gondola and jumped from an altitude of 76,400 feet (23,287 m) .[1] In this first test, the stabilizer parachute was deployed too soon, catching Kittinger around the neck and causing him to spin at 120 revolutions per minute. This caused Kittinger to lose consciousness, but his life was saved by his main parachute which opened automatically at a height of 10,000 feet (3,048 m).

Despite this near-disaster on the first test, Kittinger went ahead with another test only three weeks later. The second test, Excelsior II, was made on December 11, 1959. This time, Kittinger jumped from an altitude of 74,700 feet (22,769 m) and descended in free-fall for 55,000 feet (16,764 m) before opening his main parachute.

The third and final test, Excelsior III, was made on August 16, 1960. During the ascent, the pressure seal in Kittinger's right glove failed, and he began to experience severe pain in his right hand from the exposure of his hand to the extreme low pressure. (See Effects of vacuum on humans.) He decided not to inform the ground crew about this, in case they should decide to abort the test. Despite temporarily losing the use of his right hand, he continued with the ascent, climbing to an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,333 m). The ascent took one hour and 31 minutes and broke the previous manned balloon altitude record of 101,516 feet (30,942 m), which was set by Major David Simons as part of Project Man High in 1957. Kittinger stayed at peak altitude for 12 minutes, waiting for the balloon to drift over the landing target area. He then stepped out of the gondola to begin his descent.

The small stabilizer parachute deployed successfully and Kittinger fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds, setting a long-standing world record for the longest free-fall. At an altitude of 17,500 feet (5,334 m), Kittinger opened his main parachute and landed safely in the New Mexico desert. The whole descent took 13 minutes and 45 seconds and set the current world record for the highest parachute jump. During the descent, Kittinger experienced temperatures as low as −94 °F (−70 °C). In the free-fall stage, he reached a top speed of 614 miles per hour (988 km/h).

"An hour and thirty-one minutes after launch, my pressure altimeter halts at 103,300 feet. At ground control the radar altimeters also have stopped-on readings of 102,800 feet, the figure that we later agree upon as the more reliable. It is 7 o'clock in the morning, and I have reached float altitude ... Though my stabilization chute opens at 96,000 feet, I accelerate for 6,000 feet more before hitting a peak of 614 miles an hour, nine-tenths the speed of sound at my altitude."

A plaque attached below the open door of the Excelsior III gondola read, "This is the highest step in the world".
      this man must have his pants custom tailored to fit his balls.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      10-09-2012 01:19 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      Were you at VIR this weekend?
      Nope, I had taken off far too many weekends recently and actually needed to work so I'm not broke #collegekidproblems
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-09-2012 01:27 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      Joseph Kittinger is mentoring Felix and will be in communication with him from the ground.
      And probably say things like, "How was your heated capsule? Bet it was warm, huh?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02TTQC
      10-09-2012 01:41 PM #41
      Does anyone know if there's going to be any video coming in from Felix's side? From a helmet-cam or side mounted camera on the capsule?

I can't find anything about it

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      10-09-2012 01:42 PM #42
      They just aborted for today...

Vehicles
      '13 ATS 2.0T, '13 Lexus RX350 AWD,'69 280SEL, '68 C10 SWB Stepside
      10-09-2012 01:44 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikefc626 View Post
      Does anyone know if there's going to be any video coming in from Felix's side? From a helmet-cam or side mounted camera on the capsule?

I can't find anything about it
      he'll have two hd camera's mounted to his legs pointing to his head.
      so it goes... ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      Sedan and Van in white
      10-09-2012 01:47 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
      They just aborted for today...
      I was so excited to see the live feed become active with activity. Then scrubbed.... booo

10. 10-09-2012 01:48 PM #45
      Weather tomorrow is not looking good.

11. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-09-2012 02:07 PM #46
      yea its been canned.. lame. weird thing is website only shows 0.8mph winds...? sorry but dont think it will get much less then that.

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      10-09-2012 02:14 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      yea its been canned.. lame. weird thing is website only shows 0.8mph winds...? sorry but dont think it will get much less then that.
      That wasn't correct. They need less than 2mph winds @ 800 feet for a launch to take place. It was up to around 17 earlier today.
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      10-09-2012 03:58 PM #48
      Pretty amazing stuff but I've always wondered why they never mention that the speed of sound is different higher up in the atmosphere then at sea level. The speed of sound is about 70mph slower at 120k feet (also at ~ -30F) then at sea level (at ~ 70F). Seems that's kind of fudging the books a little bit.

Don't get me wrong. This is an amazing feet that he and Kittinger will and have done.

14. 10-09-2012 04:10 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      Pretty amazing stuff but I've always wondered why they never mention that the speed of sound is different higher up in the atmosphere then at sea level. The speed of sound is about 70mph slower at 120k feet (also at ~ -30F) then at sea level (at ~ 70F). Seems that's kind of fudging the books a little bit.

Don't get me wrong. This is an amazing feet that he and Kittinger will and have done.
      I see nothing wrong with that and it isn't fudging anything. It is supersonic. Science, you're its bitch.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CW Golf TDI, 2013 Evil Undead
      10-09-2012 05:23 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post

I think the people that care about the precision of the speed of sound at altitude will already know that it varies with the density of the fluid that it is being transmitted through and probably don't care about the omission. The people who are shocked by that probably couldn't grasp what's going on anyway.

In one of the notes that I read it said that Felix B. has already jumped from 97,000 feet so he's been pretty close to the record already in his practice jumps.
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      10-09-2012 05:34 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      I see nothing wrong with that and it isn't fudging anything. It is supersonic. Science, you're its bitch.
      Yeah, I can't help it sometimes.

Still impressive feats though.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:19 PM #52
      I wish them better luck with the balloon tomorrow.

Vehicles
      Yellow Cab
      10-09-2012 06:40 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Noah Fecks View Post
      scared? yeah right! you got a 50/50 shot. live or die. more than likely gonna live, so **** it, send it.
      Huh? I thought 50/50 means that there is an equal chance of either outcome.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 335i x-drive
      10-09-2012 06:52 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Noah Fecks View Post
      scared? yeah right! you got a 50/50 shot. live or die. more than likely gonna live, so **** it, send it.
      Not sure if you are trying to actually point out the odds of surviving, as I'm sure this guy wouldn't do the jump if he actually had a 50% chance of survival...

That's like saying you have a 50/50 chance of getting into a car accident on the drive home, you either do or don't.
      Doesn't make sense.

10-09-2012 07:55 PM #55
      It's been done! So he's a few thousand feet higher and a little faster? Big deal.

Vehicles
      2010 GT500
      10-09-2012 08:01 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      It's been done! So he's a few thousand feet higher and a little faster? Big deal.
      The 911 was done 40 years ago! So every one since then has been a bit bigger and a little faster? Big deal.

I don't see you setting records by jumping out of a balloon at 23 miles up, Captain Awesome.

Vehicles
      Stingray
      10-09-2012 08:31 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      404 car content not found
      Now there is.

"Red Bull Athlete Felix Baumgartner Rips Some Drift Donuts with His Ford GT inside a Flight Hangar in Cal City"
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

10-09-2012 08:39 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      I don't see you setting records by jumping out of a balloon at 23 miles up, Captain Awesome.
      ZOMG, I'm not jumping out of a balloon so I can't comment. you're right. I find it funny how the media is making it seem like nobody has ever done anything like this before. They should be reporting he's going just a bit higher than the previous record, instead of making it sound like this is something nobody has every tried before.

10-09-2012 09:07 PM #59
      Where can I sign up to do this? (For free. )
      Algunos padres son poetas, todos los hijos son poesías. ♥

25. 10-09-2012 09:26 PM #60
      ZOMG, I'm not jumping out of a balloon so I can't comment. you're right. I find it funny how the media is making it seem like nobody has ever done anything like this before. They should be reporting he's going just a bit higher than the previous record, instead of making it sound like this is something nobody has every tried before.

Fact of the matter is, if he does break the sound barrier, he'll be the first. Not sure there is any data on a human doing that without a metal shell around them?
      It's not the fact that he's breaking an altitude record, it's the fact that by doing that, he very well could break the sound barrier...

ban hawk..hehe

10-09-2012 10:41 PM #61
      Are we sure no fighter pilot has ever ejected at supersonic speeds? I feel like someone would have somewhere in this world in the last 50 years.

Also, it's a supersonic freefall (if it happens) through basically no atmosphere vs say at like 30,000 feet. I dunno, I think it's kinda like with the X-15 goes Mach 6. It's a plane, but it's in space. Whereas when the SR-71 does Mach 3 it feels more 'real'

Anyway, I hope he has a safe fall.

Vehicles
      MKIII/MKIV GTI
      10-10-2012 12:09 AM #62
      safe fall.
      he he...
      ig: _chewwyy

mk3 thread -> wooops, i said i wasn't coming back
      mk4 thread-> Bored at Work

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 09:41 AM #63

Do you feel better about yourself now that you've belittled someone else's accomplishments? Did you manage to grow a little more hair, so you don't always have to wear a baseball hat? Grow a little taller? Weiner gain a couple of cm? Did your Cayman gain an 'S' on the trunk? See what I did there?

For a grown ass man, you sure act like a child sometimes.
      so it goes... ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      10-10-2012 09:47 AM #64
      You guys sure do feed the obvious troll a lot.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 10:21 AM #65
      Pretty sure that Hawk has time and time again proven that he actually not a troll, but just a self righteous idiot.
      so it goes... ಠ_ಠ

31. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-10-2012 10:27 AM #66

our local news mentioned it. even interviewed the guy that originally did it at 102k feet.
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 10-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 10:35 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      our local news mentioned it. even interviewed the guy that originally did it at 102,800 feet.
      FIFY.

Edit, I love it how he's in his AF uniform under the suit. Probably went back to the office afterwards.
      Last edited by McBanagon; 10-10-2012 at 10:41 AM.

33. Member
      10-10-2012 10:47 AM #68
      Are we sure no fighter pilot has ever ejected at supersonic speeds? I feel like someone would have somewhere in this world in the last 50 years.

Also, it's a supersonic freefall (if it happens) through basically no atmosphere vs say at like 30,000 feet. I dunno, I think it's kinda like with the X-15 goes Mach 6. It's a plane, but it's in space. Whereas when the SR-71 does Mach 3 it feels more 'real'

Anyway, I hope he has a safe fall.

Multiple pilots have, most suffering some pretty gnarly injuries.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 11:10 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by yz1337 View Post
      Multiple pilots have, most suffering some pretty gnarly injuries.
      Even at subsonic speeds, things can go wrong.

http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/

King of the world!

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CW Golf TDI, 2013 Evil Undead
      10-10-2012 11:15 AM #70
      It's good to hear that Felix has a great domestic supercar like the Ford GT, he didn't settle for something that a hairdresser would drive like a Cayman or Boxster.

I already mentioned it once but he has already jumped from 97k feet, just shy of the current record, he's worked his way up to this.
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast