Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Autoblog: "The [F10] M5 is an impressive four-door supercar with the 7DCT, but the 6MT erases much of its fire."

Vehicles
      1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-10-2012 02:33 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      Oh really? A weak/dead battery is more prolems than a popstart will take care of?
      In an electronics intensive car like teh M5, yes. If the battery is dead (and it shouldnt' be on a newish car) then there's a problem that will not go away from just pop starting it. In fact, if the battery is dead enough, it won't run right even on just the alternator.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

2. 10-10-2012 02:36 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      In an electronics intensive car like teh M5, yes. If the battery is dead (and it shouldnt' be on a newish car) then there's a problem that will not go away from just pop starting it. In fact, if the battery is dead enough, it won't run right even on just the alternator.
      I'm pretty sure you're wrong. But who knows.. maybe the car needs all those extra amps to play the engine sound through the speakers.

I guess we won't find out since the DCT is useless in this scenario and BMW has lost its way.

I claim manual victory for all apologists.

Vehicles
      1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-10-2012 02:38 PM #143
      I'm pretty sure you're wrong. But who knows.. maybe the car needs all those extra amps to play the engine sound through the speakers.

I guess we won't find out since the DCT is useless in this scenario and BMW has lost its way.

I claim manual victory for all apologists.
      Again, if you're finding a new car with a dead battery, there are problems that need to be resolved and it's up to the dealer to come get your car and fix it. You CAN alwqays jump start it, or if you are at home hook up the battery charger to it for a bit. Let me put it to you this way, I never needed to pop start my 7 series in teh 5 years I had it. If you need to, there's something wrong ESPECIALLY if the battery goes dead while out on the road.

No victory for you.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-10-2012 02:39 PM #144
      I'm thinking about this.. and I am thinking that you probably can't.. since the car probably has to be in park when the car is shut down and won't come out of park until your foot is on the brake and the engine is started.

Anyone know for sure?
      On the new M6, you "put it in park" by selecting Reverse and then turning the engine off.

There isn't even a 'park button' like on the BMW 8AT.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-10-2012 02:40 PM #145
      Oh really? A weak/dead battery is more prolems than a popstart will take care of? If it gets you back on the road.. then I'd say a manual transmission would be really helpful over a DCT in this case.
      In my nearly 15 years of driving, I have never had to "popstart" a car. I am not even sure that an M5 with a dead battery would be "popstartable." Some newer cars do all kinds of crazy lock-down stuff when a battery is about to die.

Also, BMW gives free roadside assistance for 50,000 miles. If the battery happens to die somehow, you can always just call roadside assistance.
      I TCL.

10-10-2012 02:45 PM #146
      Manual transmissions should have been left out since the E60 M5.

7. 10-10-2012 02:48 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      In my nearly 15 years of driving, I have never had to "popstart" a car. I am not even sure that an M5 with a dead battery would be "popstartable." Some newer cars do all kinds of crazy lock-down stuff when a battery is about to die.

Also, BMW gives free roadside assistance for 50,000 miles. If the battery happens to die somehow, you can always just call roadside assistance.

I forgot that these cars won't ever make it past 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Again, if you're finding a new car with a dead battery, there are problems that need to be resolved and it's up to the dealer to come get your car and fix it. You CAN alwqays jump start it, or if you are at home hook up the battery charger to it for a bit. Let me put it to you this way, I never needed to pop start my 7 series in teh 5 years I had it. If you need to, there's something wrong ESPECIALLY if the battery goes dead while out on the road.

No victory for you.
      I forgot that these cars will never age.

Many manual cars I have driven have made it well over 50,000 miles and aged well. And were pop startable.

Manual victory fur alles!

Vehicles
      '91 MKIII Scirrocco, '78 SuperCab F-150 Quattro with 460 Cu. In. Of Eco terror.
      10-10-2012 02:54 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      It's kind of like comparing WW2 fighter planes to the modern aircraft controlled by flight computers and "fly by wire". Yes, the more modern aircraft is more capable in terms of turning, accel, etc but there is less machine/human interaction which is what helps make a fighter pilot a better killer. Computers can only do so much.....
      I just have to say, to those that don't know this may sound like a good analogy, but it isn't. Todays limitation on current fighter planes is "the Pilot".
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-10-2012 02:58 PM #149
      I forgot that these cars won't ever make it past 50k.

I forgot that these cars will never age.

Many manual cars I have driven have made it well over 50,000 miles and aged well. And were pop startable.

Manual victory fur alles!
      Hand Crank Starters were useful too . . .
      I TCL.

10-10-2012 02:59 PM #150
      There's the solution! Hand crank starters on every vehicle! Never worry about a dead battery again.

11. 10-10-2012 03:01 PM #151
      Umm.. no... hand crankstarters were dangerous.

I know some rich people hat own f10 m5s... their drive way is so long that if their m5 broke down in the middle, between their house and mail box, it could be 4 hours before someone gets to them to help jump them. Popstarting would be a really helpful feature in this scenario.

Just sayin.

Manual for the win.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      10-10-2012 03:15 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      ROW is willing to change and realize that new technologies can deliver driver enjoyment and efficiency (with emphasis on the latter)
      Well, you heard it hear first folks. 70 years of manual superiority come to a close toady as European car fans realize that Europe has not opted for the manual transmission option in one of thier own cars. It was quickly determined that Americans are stubborn for not being with the times and automatics are now declared the new "cool" transmission option.

13. 10-10-2012 03:49 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Well, you heard it hear first folks. 70 years of manual superiority come to a close toady as European car fans realize that Europe has not opted for the manual transmission option in one of thier own cars. It was quickly determined that Americans are stubborn for not being with the times and automatics are now declared the new "cool" transmission option.
      Yeah but it's because BMW decided to spend time/money/resources on the development of playing engine noises through the cabin instead of building a proper manual transmission.

You can't say the fate of manual is decided because a bunch of Europeans and BMW have totally lost their minds.

Guys.. seriously.. lets not forget the BMW is playing engine noises on the speaker system.

This car doesn't even count as an M.

10-10-2012 04:04 PM #154
      So if manual > automated....then NASCAR > Formula 1? Right?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

15. Banned
      10-10-2012 04:08 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      So if manual > automated....then NASCAR > Formula 1? Right?
      Hand operated clutch is different

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-10-2012 04:38 PM #156

Vehicles
      2002 SVT Focus, 2000 Focus ZX3, 1966 Cortina, 1987 Dodge Charger, 1998 Tacoma, 1983 Plymouth Scamp
      10-10-2012 04:46 PM #157
      I think I've realized that this car just isn't for me no matter what transmission is in it.

In the new BMW world, I'd rather have a 1M and put the extra cash into a tow rig.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      10-10-2012 04:51 PM #158
      Umm.. no... hand crankstarters were dangerous.

I know some rich people hat own f10 m5s... their drive way is so long that if their m5 broke down in the middle, between their house and mail box, it could be 4 hours before someone gets to them to help jump them. Popstarting would be a really helpful feature in this scenario.

Just sayin.

Manual for the win.
      If I'm rich enough to afford an X mile long driveway no way in Hell would I drive an M5. It's way too compromised.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      10-10-2012 04:57 PM #159
      You can't say the fate of manual is decided because a bunch of Europeans and BMW have totally lost their minds.
      Don't worry, I was just making a joke. I'd rather have a Cadillac these days than an M5 anyway.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      10-10-2012 05:27 PM #160
      Yeah but it's because BMW decided to spend time/money/resources on the development of playing engine noises through the cabin instead of building a proper manual transmission.

Guys.. seriously.. lets not forget the BMW is playing engine noises on the speaker system.

Bwahaha, your logic....yeah.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      10-10-2012 08:36 PM #161
      It's good to know x1000's insanity goes beyond the FR-S/BRZ.

Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2008 TurboX, 2006 S60R, 2004 R32, All 6MT-AWD!
      10-10-2012 09:04 PM #162
      3rd pedal illiterati, clutch ignorami, hand-it-to-me-on-a-plate
      TV dinner Mackie D abusers rejoice, 6MT is redundant, that is
      why Porsche and BMW are implementing and patenting respectively
      7MT 3 pedal rigs.

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta
      10-10-2012 09:19 PM #163
      manual for life, i dont give a ****.
      Quote Originally Posted by Zhine
      Power sliding is not worth it, I realized I was addicted and have taken up a much healthier safer hobby called high school girls

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      10-10-2012 10:16 PM #164

Not that I agree but:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345