Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadtrip to Boston

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkV Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 02:01 PM #1
      I'm doing a roadtrip to Boston with the wife in the end of October from Toronto, and was wondering what are some good places to see/visit. Or any other interesting things to do. Or if anyone has driven from Boston to Toronto any good routes or places to stop along the way?

Vehicles
      nothing running
      10-09-2012 02:11 PM #2
      Eagles deli
      The Certain People

We Are All Whores Just Some Of Us Get Paid

Vehicles
      1970 Beetle, 2005 Golf, 2006 Audi A4, Avant Quattro 2.0T
      10-09-2012 03:22 PM #3
      ^^^ Second Eagles Deli, Theres also a pizza place in cambridge with the best calzones call Skampa. If you get the chance. Take a 50 min drive to Providence and head to Banchwerks and visit Jesse. But yes. Boston has too many awesome things to list.
      " My girlfriends car is cooler than mine "
      www.ctsaunders.com

Vehicles
      Crew Cab Silverado, Hardtaild Harley, bagged big wheel bagger, 400ex, Ski Doo FIII 800, Shifter Kart
      10-09-2012 05:08 PM #4
      Centerfolds in Boston, your wife will love it

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkV Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 07:11 PM #5
      I don't think the wife would go for that last one unfortunately. But the others sound good. Thanks.
      Instagram: @aroks

Vehicles
      nothing running
      10-09-2012 08:19 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable2 View Post
      second that
      The Certain People

We Are All Whores Just Some Of Us Get Paid

laying the smack down from MA for 15 years
      Vehicles
      '14 Cdale Carbon Synapse, '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      10-09-2012 10:58 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BigTimBigTurbo View Post
      Eagles deli

you would point someone to that greasy pit on their first visit to Boston? You will not be on Phantom Gourmet..... ever
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

laying the smack down from MA for 15 years
      Vehicles
      '14 Cdale Carbon Synapse, '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      10-09-2012 10:59 PM #8
      so you want places in Boston or places en route to Boston?
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta GLI - Candy White
      10-09-2012 11:23 PM #9
      1. Samuel Adams brewery tour
      2. "The Barking Crab" for rustic waterfront dinning and excellent fresh seafood at decent prices
      3. New England Aquarium
      4. "Bukowski Tavern" for a great selection of craft beer and excellent, quiet, dark, small atmosphere.
      5. "The Toad" for similar to above with some cool local musicians, live music every night of the week.
      Last edited by 16VSerenity; 10-09-2012 at 11:29 PM.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Manual
      10-09-2012 11:28 PM #10
      If you are going to do a brewery tour go to harpoon. The Sam Adams tour sucks.

Some more information on your interests would make suggestions a lot more useful.

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta GLI - Candy White
      10-09-2012 11:36 PM #11
      You get to taste/drink more at Harpoon, but at Sam Adams you get at least four beers and a tour of Sam Adams, which I would take any day over going to Harpoon. I'd rather have four Sam Adam's offerings than ten of Harpoon's. And Sam's tours are usually not run by annoying 21 year-olds trying to make sure everyone knows how extra cool they are...

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkV Jetta TDI
      10-09-2012 11:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v View Post
      so you want places in Boston or places en route to Boston?
      Places in Boston mainly, But if anyone has done the trip I'm doing before some places to make little pit stops along the way would be cool too.

Vehicles
      '66 Impala
      10-10-2012 08:56 AM #13
      If you want Italian food go to the North End. Stay away from Mikes Pastry on Hanover St. It is a tourist nightmare and people think their pastry is the best ever....it's not. Go to Modern Pastry down the street. Take it from some one who used to own an Italian bakery.

If you want touristy stuff go to Fanuiel Hall, do the Freedom Trail. I don't remember what to do know. I used to when I was younger. I HATE the city now. Give me a small town and some dirt roads now.

You can go check out 495 Summer St. But you need a reservation to get in
      NEK '07 Chevy Crew Cab. Formerly CorradoG60
      '66 Impala 3 on the tree

10-10-2012 11:01 AM #14
      All good options for a tourist not knowing much about the city.

Aquarium is kinda eh, if you have ever been to a real one.
      North End is a must for just walking around.
      Fenway will be starting tours again, i bet tickets will be cheap
      Sam Adams is a great little tour if your in the area, plenty of free beer to drink and it only lasts an hour or two tops. Harpoon is also just as good.
      Take some time and walk around Quincy market/Faneuil hall if your into that sorta shopping thing.
      Check local advertising for free shows in the commons, or promenade.
      I did the freedom trail when I was a kid and it was pretty interesting if you like history. Alot of walking if your up to it.
      Not enough time in the day.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      07 RS4, 08 GLI
      10-10-2012 11:06 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable2 View Post
      lol.

Boston's really not that big.

If i was trying to get a lot in, I'd go from Newbury/Boylston St (Nice shopping etc) to the Boston Commons/Garden/Beacon Hill then on to Faneuil Hall (more shopping+history) then along the waterfront to the North End where I'd find dinner, lotsa good Italian joints... Giacomo's is prob the most famous but no reservations and massive line, Panza is across the st, owned by the same ppl and takes reservations. If you dont mind dropping $$$ Bricco is rated top ten in the USA, also Taranta is banging. Antico Forno is decent and cheap.

From there, I'd try to line it up with a local sports game and march on up to Canal St and go to Boston Beer Works for a beer and some sports, or Fours, the Grand Canal...there are a bunch there.

That covers a lot of Boston, you miss the seaport and some of the South End (Prudential Center) etc, but its a pretty good path
      Pay now or pay later, either way, you pay.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkV Jetta TDI
      10-11-2012 12:21 AM #16
      Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to the trip down. Also how are the roads there because my car is pretty low and I'm waiting on my skid plate. Hopefully be in before the trip.

Vehicles
      Crew Cab Silverado, Hardtaild Harley, bagged big wheel bagger, 400ex, Ski Doo FIII 800, Shifter Kart
      10-11-2012 10:34 AM #17
      Smooth as a baby's bottom

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Manual
      10-11-2012 11:25 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by alexj87 View Post
      lol.

Boston's really not that big.

If i was trying to get a lot in, I'd go from Newbury/Boylston St (Nice shopping etc) to the Boston Commons/Garden/Beacon Hill then on to Faneuil Hall (more shopping+history) then along the waterfront to the North End where I'd find dinner...:

Pretty much exactly what I would suggest.

If you are able to and like to walk I would park around the prudential center(do not park under it unless you want to 40+$ a day to park) If it is a clear day I would go to the top of the pru(14/person but you will get a good view of the city and a much better understanding of the area when you go to walk around it. Walk down newbury/boylston st and continue down through the public garden/boston common. From there I would aim for the Quincy Market area and into the north end. Grab some food in the north end and then walk along the harbor from the north end down past the aquarium. From the aquarium area you can catch the T (subway) blue line to the green or orange line back to the PRU. (2.50/pp) Or you can always take a taxi.

If you have more than one day in the area, I would check out the harvard and kendall square areas on the second day. Maybe the seaport (and harpoon). Mead Hall near Kendall has a great beer selection.

Castle Island is also really cool.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter, 2010 Audi A4 P+ (Hers)
      10-11-2012 11:30 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by 16VSerenity View Post
      You get to taste/drink more at Harpoon, but at Sam Adams you get at least four beers and a tour of Sam Adams, which I would take any day over going to Harpoon. I'd rather have four Sam Adam's offerings than ten of Harpoon's. And Sam's tours are usually not run by annoying 21 year-olds trying to make sure everyone knows how extra cool they are...
      Everyone's entitled to their opinion on beer (however wrong it obviously is here since Harpoon > Sam Adams a million times over ) but looking at the facts:

- The Harpoon breweries are their real breweries. They brew in Boston and Vermont. Compare that to the Sam Adams brewery with is essentially just for show as they don't brew their beer there, or in MA really for that matter, as most of it is done in NY and PA IIRC. They only do some small-scale stuff here. Test batches, stuff for the tour, and the like. So what are you touring? You're touring a brewery, but you're really not touring the Sam Adams brewery. Your touring a PR/Marketing effort located in the old Haffenreffer brewery. What's the point of that? Although the pop-overs at Ula, the coffee shop there in the building, are awesome so visiting that facility means you get a good snack.

- The Harpoon brewery in Boston is just outside of downtown in the Seaport. It's easy for an out of towner to find and it's quick to get to and to return from. The Sam Adams brewery is burried in the middle of JP and even for locals is a pain to get to, let alone someone who is looking around them going "where the HELL am I?", and unless your next stop is the Arnold Arboretum, Forest Hills Cemetery, The Franklin Park Zoo, or that cool dodecahedron house once you finish the tour you're going to be out of the way from anything you want to do.

Both because of the authenticity and the convenience I would send visitors to Harpoon. Plus the beer is, IMO, better.

Putting a strong recommendation on hitting Harpoon while the OP is in town if there is time.

Some other things that visitors generally like:
      - The Union Oyster House, oldest restaurant in Boston and as far as they claim they are also the oldest still-running restaurant in the USA
      - Visit Charlestown - check out the Bunker Hill monument, have a beer at The Warren Tavern (Paul Revere's favorite bar, frequented by George Washington, there's something nice about having a beer in a place that's been around for going on 250 years or whetever their age is), then pop over to the naval yard to check out The USS Constitution)
      Last edited by robbyb413; 10-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MkV Jetta TDI
      10-11-2012 08:42 PM #20
      I'm going to be down for 4 days so I should be able to get most if not all of the suggested things done.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      07 RS4, 08 GLI
      10-13-2012 09:19 PM #21
      Following this thread I went to eagles deli. I am quiet happy about it
      Last edited by alexj87; 10-13-2012 at 10:06 PM.
      Pay now or pay later, either way, you pay.

10-13-2012 10:09 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by alexj87 View Post
      Following this thread I went to eagles deli. I am quiet happy about it
      If you think eagles is anything to write home about you NEED to go to Jim's deli on Washington st in Brighton. Get the Texas burger. It will change your life.

Sent from my iPhone
      Last edited by 20vturbslo; 10-13-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter, 2010 Audi A4 P+ (Hers)
      10-15-2012 10:45 AM #23
      I can't think of a single thing on the Jim's menu I wouldn't recommend. The "Chicken Deluxe" is great of you're looking for a sandwich, and "The Next Day" is great for putting you into a food coma.

10-15-2012 10:47 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by robbyb413 View Post
      I can't think of a single thing on the Jim's menu I wouldn't recommend. The "Chicken Deluxe" is great of you're looking for a sandwich, and "The Next Day" is great for putting you into a food coma.
      I used to live down the street! god i miss that place so much. And if your worried about customer service, i have never met such a nice group of guys there. And man will Jims Mom do anything for you haha

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Manual
      10-15-2012 10:59 PM #25
      Tavern on the water is also a cool spot to grab a drink and look at the boston skyline at the same time.

Vehicles
      10-16-2012 11:11 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by corvettecrazy View Post
      Tavern on the water is also a cool spot to grab a drink and look at the boston skyline at the same time.
      ....if you're not with the post-work I'm-a-Junior-Vice-President-look-at-my-Striped-Shirt crowd.

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Manual
      10-17-2012 11:21 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by robbyb413 View Post
      ....if you're not with the post-work I'm-a-Junior-Vice-President-look-at-my-Striped-Shirt crowd.
      I've never been there after work, but given the area I could believe that. Somehow I normally end up there in the middle of the day to get a beer after walking around for a few hours.

28. Senior Member
      10-18-2012 10:51 AM #28
      I agree with the comment on the quarium above. Don't spend the time there when there is so much other stuff to do.

If you've ever been to Baltimore's aquarium, you'll be very disappointed.

Hell, even Mystic's aquarium is a lot better.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      B5 wagon
      10-18-2012 06:15 PM #29
      If you are more specific about the type bars & restaurants you like, or some kind of music, sports, art, outdoor activities or tourist ish that you're into. It would be real easy to help you. Like any major city you have to scratch the surface to find the more fun and interesting places.

And I'd go to Aga's over Centerfold's but I like my strip clubs a lil more ethnic.
      NEK
      Guilty by association.

30. 10-19-2012 02:39 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by CorradoG602 View Post
      If you want Italian food stay away from the North End.
      for some of the best italian in the area, go to Pasta Lina's in Medford.
      TDI | GTI | FLHXI | PVW 02/09

BUY ME

Vehicles
      ms3 zoom zoom
      10-19-2012 03:12 PM #31
      KO Catering And Pies in South Boston or KO Pies In The Shipyard in East Boston. Best ****ing meat pies in Boston, or the state for that matter. If you like Mexican, Papagayo in Fort Point is really good.

Also, Harpoon Brewery tour. It's like $3 or $5 bucks, and at the end, it's 30 minutes of all you can drink. The Samuel Adams Brewery tour is going to bull**** you and tell you that, by state law, they can only serve you three small samples. This is America. Don't take that for an answer. Go to Harpoon and drink more beer, and more importantly, better beer.

If you really like drinking, then you should also check out Drink. It's an actual bar... called Drink. It's been rated one of the top 50 bars in the US. It's that good. It's right on Congress St near the aforementioned meat pies and Mexican food and Harpoon Brewery.

Side benefit: all of this stuff is near the water, so it's a hop, skip and a jump to go and hang out and watch a nice sunset between dinner and later-night activities.
      science: it's for real.

Vehicles
      2011 Kink Gap Xl, 2000 Haro Blammo,'08 Gti
      10-19-2012 07:05 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by NEK-OG View Post

And I'd go to Aga's over Centerfold's but I like my strip clubs a lil more ethnic.
      I thought Cooper posted this when I was skimming the thread. I almost fell out of my chair!

33. Senior Member
      10-20-2012 10:14 AM #33
      Haven't been in a strip joint in at least 20 years, and even that was a no full nudity club in NJ. Haven't been in a true strip club in over 25 years. You outgrow that sort of thing.

Went golfing with our stockbrokers at Great River in Milford, CT in 2004 or so. A foursome in front of us had another client of his. He was talking about all the money he dropped the night before at a strip joint. I just thought he was a pathetic old guy, even if he was worth $70MM.

Vehicles
      Marc fo-whore errrr tirty-duce, and the "Death Box" daily aka 98 Tahoe LT
      10-26-2012 10:58 AM #34
      There really hasnt been any GOOD suggestions for food yet. I have been a Chef in that city for 10 years and with the exception of eagles deli and Drink, non of the other places i saw on a quick glance at the thread are really shinning restaurants in the city. Most of the places named so far are tourists traps or just blah. sorry guys. here is a list of the best restaurants IMO.

-Eastern Standard Kitchen and Drinks- fenway
      - Neptune Oyster House (my Fav restaurant in the north end, and maybe the whole city)
      -Craigie on Main -cambridge, (lots of $$$ but amazing dinner)
      -the Salty Pig-back bay
      -O YA- finacial district (also a good amount of $$$) and will need rezi in advance
      -Hungry mother- cambridge - Amazing
      -J.M. Curleys- Downtown Way fun - Where the chefs in town hang out
      -Toro- south end
      -Ten Tables- Jamaica plain
      -Trinas Starlight lounge -Cambridge- Great for late night drinks and food
      -East Coast grill- Cambridge- A city institution
      -Coppa- South end
      -B&G oyster- South end

That is just a start for food if you only eat at places on this list, you WILL NOT have a bad meal.

As for other stuff
      -Lars Anderson auto Museum - A car museum in Jamaica Plain neighbor hood. Pretty cool and J.P is a great section of the city, i live there.
      -The Arnold Arboretum -Jamaica Plain- Nice Park in the city, Very big, dog friendly, great vews to down town, Designed by the same guy that designed central park
      -Castle Island Beach. Nice all year round for a walk
      -Sky walk at the top of the Prudential center. Nice 51 story veiw of the city (dont eat at the restaurant up there (top of the Hub) rip off and bad food. you pay for the view not the food
      -Harvard Square- Just somthing you have to do when in the city.
      - I like the Sam Adams brewery but it is also my neighbor so i get free stuff

I say Unless you really want to see the touristy stuff, i would stay away from the Aquarium/ faneuil hall area, and newbury street. Nothing but tourist and bad overpriced food and shopping.

Hope that helps Enjoy our city!

If you
      Sent From My iWorkcomputer

35. 10-26-2012 03:11 PM #35
      think i posted this before but here it is again. anytime friends/fam/business people come visit and ask "wtf do you do here?" i send them this google doc. enjoy!

FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      1. Ball Square Fine Wines: free tastings every Friday (716 Broadway, Somerville MA)
      2. Sunday Night belly dancing show @ Middle East Cambridge
      3. Institute for contemporary art, Thu 5-9 PM free
      4. MFA - Wednesday night free 4-945 pm

Discounts
      1. Show Charlie Card: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/do...%20Booklet.pdf

Super Cheap Eats
      1. Everynight: $1 tapas every night @ Masa (439 Tremont St Boston MA). 50 cent tapas 5-7 PM!
      2. Grilled Cheese Tuesdays @ Dante (40 Edwin Land Blvd. Cambridge): Tue 5:30 (Green line to Lechmere) New varieties of $2 grilled cheese every Tuesday
      3. Margarita Mondays: $2 tacos at Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar, 271 Dartmouth St Boston
      4.Sel de la Terre 5-7 PM on Mondays (776 Boylston St Boston)- petites bouchees $2 each at bar
      5. Rendezvous @ 502 Mass Ave Cambridge: Mondays tapas $4-$6 each
      6. Met Back Bay @ 279 Dartmouth St Boston: Taco Tuesdays at downstairs bar, $6 for 3 tacos
      7. Prezza @ 24 Fleet St Boston North End: Spaghetti and Meatball Wednesdays for $6
      8. Met Back Bay @ 279 Dartmouth St: Twin lobsters for $25 on Wednesdays
      9. Flemings @ 217 Sturat St Boston: Thursdays its “5 for $6 til 7” discounted huge apps
      10. Estragon @ 700 Harrison Ave Boston MA: Thursday $1 tapasfrom 530 -7.
      11. Ten Tables @ 597 Centre St Jamaica Plain: Thursdays mac and cheese with wine for $14.
      12. Haru @ 55 Huntington Ave Boston: 3-7 PM daily $3-$6 sushi rolls
      13. Area Four @ 500 Technology Square Cambridge (3-530 PM) small pizza and beer $12.
      14. McCormick and Schmick’s (34 Columbus Ave Boston) 330-630 PM $4 for ½ pound burger and fries
      15. Blue Inc @ 131 Broad St Boston: Mon-Sat 4-7 pm “Bucket List” - discounted apps at bar
      16. Cafeteria @ 279a Newbury St Boston MA, $5 burgers at bar all day
      17. Sushi-Teq @ 510 Atlantic Ave: 5-730 PM “Rolls and Ritas” $15 for margarita and sushi roll
      18. Met Back Bay @ 279 Dartmouth St Boston: 4-9 PM Grilled Cheese night on Sundays $6

Fun Restaurants/Bars/Tastings
      1. Taco Tuesday @ Tremont 647 (647 Tremont St. Boston): Tue 5:30 PM $2 tacos a la carte
      2. Beer Tuesdays @ Sel de la Terre (776 Boylston St Boston), $28 4 course menu and beer tasting
      3. Myers and Chang (1145 Washington St) $40 per couple on Mon + Tue “cheap date night”
      4. Temple Bar @ 1688 Mass Ave Cambridge: $29 vegetarian chef’s tasting every night

Breakfast
      3 Little Figs, 278 Highland Avenue, Somerville, 617-623-3447, 3littlefigs.com
      Coppa, 253 Shawmut Avenue, Boston, 617-391-0902,coppaboston.com
      Istanbul’lu, 237 Holland Street, Somerville, 617-440-7387, istanbul-lu.com

Fancier Restaurants/Bars/Tastings
      1. Bistro du Midi (French) 272 Boylston St Boston
      2. Mistral (French) 223 Columbus Ave Boston - had our wedding reception here. Hands down best food in city
      3. *Sorrelina (Italian) One Huntington Ave Boston MA
      4. L’Espalier @ 774 Boylston St: Wine and Cheese tastings $72 on Tuesdays
      5. Church: Mac and Cheese Mondays $16 with beer pairings
      6. Citizen Public House @ 1310 Boylston St: “Punch Drunk Mondays” $4 punch and $2 Budweisers
      7. Bacco’s Wine and Cheese: daily tastings Mon-Fri 5-7 PM, Sat 2-7PM
      8. Mondays @ Bina Osteria: $22 prix fixe choice of small plate and pasta and wine
      9. Uni Sashimi Bar: Sake Bomb Tuesdays $35 4 course prix fixe with sake bomb
      10. Beacon Hill Bistro @ 25 Charles St Boston: Fondue Sunday Nights $25
      11. Red Lantern @39 Stanhope St Boston: Sun and Mon nights $7 small bites

Weekend Brunch
      1. *Local 149 @ 149 P St South Boston - $5 milkshake awesomeness (casual)
      2. Masa @ 350 Cambridge Rd Woburn or 439 Tremont St Boston (BBQ mac and cheese) (casual) $8
      3. Mooo @ 15 Beacon St Boston (fancy)
      4. Sunset Grill and Tap @ 916 Comm Ave Boston and 130 Brighton Ave Allston- all you can eat taco bar, free mimosa and Sunday newspaper (super casual)

Events
      1. Chocolate Factory Tour @ Taza Chocolate (561 Windsor St Somerville): need to drive. www.tazachocolate.com
      2. Run for your Lives @ Amesbury Sports Park (www. runforyourlives.com). Saturday May 5. To run its $77, $25 to be a zombie, $32 to watch
      3. Boston Chowderfest July 1, 11-6, City Hall Plaza
      4. Scooper Bowl June 5-7 City Hall Plaza

Booze Classes
      1. Art Bar: 40 Edwin Land Blvd Cambridge MA $20, 3rd Thursday of each month
      2. BCAE: 122 Arlington St Boston MA (www.bcae.org)
      3. Local 149: 149 P St South Boston, $40 apps included, www.ticketleap.com
      4. Waterline @ Boston Mariott, 296 State St, 1st Thu every other month at 6 PM. $25, w/ apps
      5. Zocalo: 35 Stanhope St Boston, WEdnesdays 5-6 PM cocktatil tutorials
      AL@PagParts and vw1990corrado of AutoEngineering built 337 - has moved on to a new owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast