VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

E46 M3 preventive maintenance question

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dmorrow 
#1 ·
I did not want to interrupt the E36 thread with off topic questions. So, I'll ask it here; What are the preventive maintenance items that should be looked out for when purchasing an e46 M3? Besides the subframe welding issue, what else should be looked for? Suspension refresh kit?:confused:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Up to production date 10/01 there was a recall on connecting rod bearings.

Also ask for service records for oil changes and note that Castrol TWS 10w-60 was used and that interim oil changes were made between the "free scheduled maintenance" BS every 15k.

#7 ·
S54 needs periodic valve adjustments. Plan on doing one right when you get the car for peace of mind.

There's also been multiple instances of the intake side VANOS camshaft bolts backing out/shearing which can nuke the engine. No idea of failure rates, and if I can grow a pair I'm going to check mine out when I do my valve adjustment.

#13 ·
Valve adjustment is definitely DIY-able for any semi competent. It looks more intimidating than it is. BMP design has a couple of videos on youtube I basically used exclusively for my directions on how to do it.

If you still think it's over your head, should only be 4-5hrs at an indy shop (not bad every 30k or so, if you ask me)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.