Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 112

    Thread: What's so lackluster about the 370Z?

    1. Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2011
      Location
      Bellevue Hospital Center
      Posts
      8,728
      10-10-2012 12:27 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      I still don't understand this.
      THIS:

      Does not make a car any more practical.

      And that's all you'd get in the 370z without making it look like a 280z 2+2 (eww).

      I'd actually consider it a downside as in many carpool lanes, they require 3 persons unless your car has 2 seats only.
      That's essentially what the FR-S/BR-Z looks like, and on here everyone was like "OMG! 2 REAR SEATS!"

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2006
      Location
      san jose ca
      Posts
      1,084
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      10-10-2012 12:38 AM #52
      i feel like the 370z is one of those cars that won't truly be appreciated until it's replaced. looking at the comments here, i'm guessing one of the main problems is that people conflate it with the 350z because visibly speaking, they are pretty similar. the main issue with this comparison, however, is that the 370z is a better car than the 350z in almost every way imaginable, with a few niggling caveats regarding reliability, of course. the fact of the matter is, the 370z is a really really fun car to drive, with good power, great looks (subjective, i know), and has excellent potential as a track car (if nissan can address the the brake and fuel issues). it's also likely the last of the VQ powered high performance nissans, which is something that in and of itself bodes well for its future desirability among car enthusiasts.

      bottom line, give it some time. when the prices for the 370z drop and nissan no longer offers any NA engines in its high performance lineup, this will be a highly sought after car.

    3. Member TetsuoShima's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2008
      Location
      Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      7,275
      Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-10-2012 12:41 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by scsuh View Post
      i feel like the 370z is one of those cars that won't truly be appreciated until it's replaced. looking at the comments here, i'm guessing one of the main problems is that people conflate it with the 350z because visibly speaking, they are pretty similar. the main issue with this comparison, however, is that the 370z is a better car than the 350z in almost every way imaginable, with a few niggling caveats regarding reliability, of course. the fact of the matter is, the 370z is a really really fun car to drive, with good power, great looks (subjective, i know), and has excellent potential as a track car (if nissan can address the the brake and fuel issues). it's also likely the last of the VQ powered high performance nissans, which is something that in and of itself bodes well for its future desirability among car enthusiasts.

      bottom line, give it some time. when the prices for the 370z drop and nissan no longer offers any NA engines in its high performance lineup, this will be a highly sought after car.
      Best response so far, pretty much what I was thinking. Can't wait until these become affordable.

    4. Member Tuneman7's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2010
      Location
      New York, NY
      Posts
      3,073
      Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80, '15 Audi S4
      10-10-2012 12:45 AM #54
      You can find a few NISMO 370Z's for under 30K second hand and the standard cars are beginning to creep up on the 20K mark in the second hand market. I'd likely say if you're really interested in one they're pretty affordable atm.

    5. Member nm+'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2006
      Location
      Land of Bro-Dozer Ya Yas
      Posts
      19,744
      Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-10-2012 12:51 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      That's essentially what the FR-S/BR-Z looks like, and on here everyone was like "OMG! 2 REAR SEATS!"
      I'm certainly not one of them. In pretty much everything that isn't a challenger or an RX-8 (shockingly good), rear seats in coupes seem to be about justifying the purchase to a significant other or avoiding tax/insurance issues.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

    6. Member a2a4raddo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2001
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      19,818
      Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      10-10-2012 12:55 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      I don't think it's enough of an improvement vs 350Z.
      Yes, it's lighter. But it is also smaller, so it should've been more than 100lbs lighter (Base vs Base)
      Engine doesn't sound as good as VQ35HR. It makes almost the same amount of torque. They could've stuck with 3.5L, thus adding lightness.
      Looks... well, I think it's pretty ugly compared to the 350Z. That was, actually, the major deciding factor for me
      The interior is the only thing I congratulate Nissan on with this car. I don't particularly like the design but it is much better put together with superior materials

      I've heard a few people say that it was just disappointing given the progression of Z cars up to the latest one. I can't comment on that, as I don't have experience with older Nissans and Datsuns but there has to be some truth in that.




      No.
      The vq37 makes a good amount more hp and slightly moree torque. But. It has much more power under the curve and a wider power band, so it feels much more powerfull. It's also smoother, likes to rev better, and more refined. Lastly, it sounds better IMO.

      I think the 370z looks good, while the 350 is not a car I find attractive. Most folks thought the 370 was an improvement from what I read when it was released.

      The car is better then the 350z in every measurable way. And while the engine is a tad heavier then the inferior 3.5 in the 350, it weighs about 100lbs less (or more) then the engine in the old 300zx Tt.
      Last edited by a2a4raddo; 10-10-2012 at 01:44 AM.

    7. 10-10-2012 01:14 AM #57
      I like the looks of the 2013 370 Z (never drove one). So, my questions to those who have driven a '2013 370 Z. I built one on the Nissan web site (sport model) and added nismo exhaust (and added nismo stuff like wing, suspension and exhaust, cause it ain't costing me nothing to do it online, Ha!), does that add up to a better car? I mean, the nismo exhaust should help the engine note some gripe about, you can get better brake pads and it shouldn't over heat now that it has an oil cooler. Heck, as a daily that gets a full G on the pad and is that quick to sixty, it should find some love. Oh, btw, I did load the car I bulit online with crazy stuff, so it came in at $41,000, tis a bit high.
      One last thing, I watched the video on the Nissan site about the syncro rev matching manual trans. It seems like a slick piece of engineering. For those that have driven a '13 370 Z manual with this feasture, does it work or is it gimmick? Is it for the lazy and uneducated who can't heel/toe or is it a revelation that enhances the driving experience?
      Disclaimer: I'm not looking to buy a 370 Z, I have a daughter, need rear seats, but it is an ineterseting car, I'm a car guy that likes to know obscure car stuff. Any answers to questions above would be appreciated.

    8. 10-10-2012 01:27 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      I'm not sure the 911 seats would fit a child (and certainly not a child seat). I doubt a 370z's back seats would be any bigger. Not going to be challenger or even mustang sized.
      so it wouldn't be like say its Infiniti counterpart because its not as tight in the back of a G37 as you're making it out to be.

    9. Member nm+'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2006
      Location
      Land of Bro-Dozer Ya Yas
      Posts
      19,744
      Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-10-2012 01:34 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      so it wouldn't be like say its Infiniti counterpart because its not as tight in the back of a G37 as you're making it out to be.
      The G37c has a foot more wheel base (100.4 v. 112.2) and even a bit more in overall length (167.2 v. 183.x [depending on trim]). So no. A foot is a massive amount of room.
      The G37 is a stretched 350z, not just a 350z with a different look.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

    10. 10-10-2012 01:37 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      None of this is actually true. Acceleration wise, the V6 pony cars (at least with reference to the mustang and camaro) and the z are about the same--give or take a couple of tenths here and there. On the track, they're also about the same, at least according to the C&D Lightning Lap series which occurs at VIR. It's really a drivers race at this point.
      http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_nissan_370z/

    11. Member a2a4raddo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 14th, 2001
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      19,818
      Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      10-10-2012 01:38 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      so it wouldn't be like say its Infiniti counterpart because its not as tight in the back of a G37 as you're making it out to be.
      What Are you saying? The g37 coupes wheelbase is 12inches longer then the 370z's. and the G37 coupe already has a smaller back seat then bmw's 135i

      Nissan could have did what they did with the 300ZX. Make a short wheel base 2 seater and a long wheelbase 4 seater......but they kind of already did by creating the G37 Coupe.
      Last edited by a2a4raddo; 10-10-2012 at 01:42 AM.

    12. Member stascom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2009
      Location
      So. Oregon
      Posts
      5,436
      Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-10-2012 01:41 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I like the looks of the 2013 370 Z (never drove one). So, my questions to those who have driven a '2013 370 Z. I built one on the Nissan web site (sport model) and added nismo exhaust (and added nismo stuff like wing, suspension and exhaust, cause it ain't costing me nothing to do it online, Ha!), does that add up to a better car? I mean, the nismo exhaust should help the engine note some gripe about, you can get better brake pads and it shouldn't over heat now that it has an oil cooler. Heck, as a daily that gets a full G on the pad and is that quick to sixty, it should find some love. Oh, btw, I did load the car I bulit online with crazy stuff, so it came in at $41,000, tis a bit high.
      One last thing, I watched the video on the Nissan site about the syncro rev matching manual trans. It seems like a slick piece of engineering. For those that have driven a '13 370 Z manual with this feasture, does it work or is it gimmick? Is it for the lazy and uneducated who can't heel/toe or is it a revelation that enhances the driving experience?
      Disclaimer: I'm not looking to buy a 370 Z, I have a daughter, need rear seats, but it is an ineterseting car, I'm a car guy that likes to know obscure car stuff. Any answers to questions above would be appreciated.
      It depends on application, I suppose. If you just like the looks of NISMO and can swing the bill, it's not a bad option. However, if you like to mod your car and want the best upgrades, it's a waste of money. Viscous LSD is inferior to clutch and helica aftermarket counterparts. True dual exhaust only available aftermarket. 19" wheels are still pretty heavy. If you track it, you'll end up grading ps/oil cooling, brakes. Besides, NISMO body kit is just ricy. Oh, and for a "performance" trim, it is actually the heaviest one.

    13. Member DerSpiegel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2008
      Posts
      2,280
      Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta TDI 6MT
      10-10-2012 01:42 AM #63
      This....




      Followed by this....





      Reminds me of,


      This....




      Being followed by this....

      Last edited by DerSpiegel; 10-10-2012 at 01:45 AM.

    14. Member Klim18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      1,319
      Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      10-10-2012 01:49 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      That's essentially what the FR-S/BR-Z looks like, and on here everyone was like "OMG! 2 REAR SEATS!"
      True that, one of the main reasons like I like 370 over the 350 is because it has a rear seat. Is it comfortable? Probably not. Is it manageable for short distances? Sure!
      "As anyone who has ever tinkered with an old BMW engine or looked out on to the wing of a jet can attest, pure response to engineering requirements can sometimes deliver just as much pleasure as a more intentionally aesthetic design process."

    15. 10-10-2012 01:51 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      The G37c has a foot more wheel base (100.4 v. 112.2) and even a bit more in overall length (167.2 v. 183.x [depending on trim]). So no. A foot is a massive amount of room.
      The G37 is a stretched 350z, not just a 350z with a different look.
      Never stated that nothing about the car would change to get extra room. Besides, my kids are 7 and 9". No need for car seats for me. Im perfectly okay with the back being the size of the BRZ.

    16. Member Autobahn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2000
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,404
      Vehicles
      '93 Prelude VTEC, '00 GTI 1.8T, '91 Miata, '13 Golf R
      10-10-2012 02:29 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I am not a fan of the fangs.

      Better without the fangs.


    17. Member pirate golf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2005
      Location
      LV, NV
      Posts
      5,548
      10-10-2012 02:43 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuneman7 View Post
      Performance wise, it was a well balanced package when it first came out but has long since been surpassed in that segment without any major upgrades. I would probably think that's the large reason why interest has died down a bit.

      Personally, I never really liked how it looks on the exterior though the interior I think is an upgrade compared to the 350Z.
      I agree with the exception of the Nismo. My neighbor has a black Nismo and I love that damn car.

    18. Member VR6GURU's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2002
      Location
      City of Angels CA
      Posts
      3,832
      Vehicles
      00 Jaguar XJR, 14 Mazda 6, 08 Honda Element SC
      10-10-2012 04:15 AM #68
      I love the way they look, and for what I understand they responded very well to basic bolt ons








    19. Member nm+'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2006
      Location
      Land of Bro-Dozer Ya Yas
      Posts
      19,744
      Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-10-2012 04:37 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      Never stated that nothing about the car would change to get extra room. Besides, my kids are 7 and 9". No need for car seats for me. Im perfectly okay with the back being the size of the BRZ.
      If it was 12in longer, you should just buy a g37. A short wheel base is a selling point for the Z.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

    20. Banned 20aeman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2006
      Posts
      9,229
      Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      10-10-2012 07:23 AM #70
      Suffers too much from platform engineering. High belt line and stubby looks due to the chassis being shared with everything else. Engine is also shared with everything else. NVH has and always will be terrible on VQ engines. If I'm spending the money, I'd prefer something bespoke for my troubles.

      350z was aesthetically more "neutral". 370z is more likely to offend with catfish grill and stupid looking headlight/tail lights.

    21. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      23,600
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-10-2012 09:04 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben010783 View Post
      The Z also weighs less and has a shorter wheelbase. I'm guessing that translates to a better driving feel that is hard may not come across when using numbers. That's probably just a personal preference though; like wanting the rumble of a V8.

      Impressive times for the Z. I wasn't aware that it was actually that fast. However, if you're going by Motor Trend numbers, the current Mustang GT is about a half second quicker in the quarter mile. And on several different occassions, C&D has demonstrated that the Mustang GT is quicker than either the regular Z or Nismo version around a road course.

      Certainly things like feel and looks are far more subjective. I can certainly appreciate someone preferring the looks and drive of a Z over any of the other performance coupes between say, $28k and $35k. I may have been one of them if not for the ludicrous price of the Z.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 10-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.

    22. Member Avus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2000
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      9,311
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      10-10-2012 09:09 AM #72
      370z is not loved (specially in TCL) mainly because of the badge. If it has a BMW badge, everyone here will hump it 24/7... example BMW 1M

      only in TCL...
      BMW 1M - 340hp, 3296lb, no one say it is a pig
      BMW Z4M(E86) - 340hp, 3230, no one complaint about its weight
      370z - 330-350hp, 3232lb, it is a pig


      But i think the biggest 370z competition is probably this G37. G37 has a better badge, interior and rear seat... (not as hardcore) Yes, there is a $6000 different. But many people are willing to pay extra to "jump" especially most of them are financing or lease them. Also the Infiniti G probably have incentive (discount, financing or leasing deal) much more frequent than 370z.

      http://www.infiniti.ca/buying/specia...n/default.aspx
      Last edited by Avus; 10-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

    23. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      6,305
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-10-2012 09:39 AM #73
      I used to like the look of 350Z more, but the more I look at the 370 the more I like it. Its kinda like the C5->C6 switch, just a tighter looking package with everything shrinkwrapped to the wheels arches. The back with a spoiler even has a bit of 911 in it...350 did not age as well as I thought it would...

      As far as VQ goes, the engine is pretty meh NVH wise. From the 03 G35 we had to the 2011 M37x the engine felt coarse in a luxury car, probably a bit less undesirable in a sportscar. But its a powerful motor and in the M37x even for a big car it has plenty of poke(and really, 7600rpm redline...seems odd for such a big car). I can only imagine its a much better match to the smaller car(with 800lb less to haul...)

      Unfortunately I think Z is one of the victim of the new pony car war. In 2008 it was probably a great value buy. 300+ bhp, RWD, track package and under 40k. You pit the period Mustang and whatever else in the market and it stacks up pretty good. Up to 2010 the Mustang was still cheap but it was a dog. Then 2011 Mustang showed up with a 300bhp V6 model at 22k and a 400+bhp V8 for just over 30k. Then all of a sudden what was considered "good for the money" changed pretty drastically. On top of that, the new Mustang is a pretty good handler. So much of whats good for the Z now can be had either for less, or faster for the same money....

    24. Member BluMagic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2008
      Location
      snohomish, WA
      Posts
      5,165
      Vehicles
      2011 CT200h
      10-10-2012 09:44 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      I still don't understand this.
      THIS:

      Does not make a car any more practical.

      And that's all you'd get in the 370z without making it look like a 280z 2+2 (eww).

      I'd actually consider it a downside as in many carpool lanes, they require 3 persons unless your car has 2 seats only.
      you want to understand?

      some of us have wives we have to talk into shi* and that tiny a$$ back seat can seal the deal. That is the only way i was able to negotiate a GC.
      XBL B0B_MARLEY_MAR - The "0" in Bob is a zero

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2006
      Location
      san jose ca
      Posts
      1,084
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      10-10-2012 10:08 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Suffers too much from platform engineering. High belt line and stubby looks due to the chassis being shared with everything else. Engine is also shared with everything else. NVH has and always will be terrible on VQ engines. If I'm spending the money, I'd prefer something bespoke for my troubles.

      350z was aesthetically more "neutral". 370z is more likely to offend with catfish grill and stupid looking headlight/tail lights.
      but this is an argument that can be made for many sports cars/coupes in the $30k range. simply stated, it is difficult to build a reliable yet sporty car at an affordable price point without this so-called "platform engineering." overall, though, the 370z is a very fun car to drive. i mean, you never get the feeling that you're not in a sports car when you drive the car. and i feel thatthe 3.7L VQ, while definitely having NVH issues, fits the nature of this car very well. sure the engine is not very refined, but neither is the 370z, and it's not meant to be. now it's a completely different matter when you put the engine in an infiniti.

      on a side note, NVH has only really been an issue with the VQ series engine following the development of the VQ35HR. There's a reason the VQ was a perrenial Ward's top 10 engine prior to variant being introduced.

    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •