Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's so lackluster about the 370Z?

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-09-2012 07:50 PM #36
      All I know is that I love them in blue.

And that the wheels sit so far out into the corners that it makes the car look like it's hunched over, ready to pounce.

I am not a fan of the fangs.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

2. 10-09-2012 07:54 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Yet, neither the V6 mustang or camaro are really any better than the Z. They offer similar performance---for less money. Just because the Z doesn't wipe the floor with the V6 pony cars (except for the challenger) or even the Genesis, doesn't mean it's not competitive or that it's somehow masquerading as anything other than the 2 seat GT that it is.
      But the Z does wipe the floor with the V6 pony cars and except in straight line acceleration it performs just as well of not better than the V8 Pony cars. The only reason we don't hear about them as much is because as has been said, it's already on its 5th year of production.

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-09-2012 08:02 PM #38
      I REALLY like this.

My first car love was the 300ZX TT, but I couldn't afford one, so my first car was a '71 240Z (username QWKDTSN is the license plate). I haven't paid much attention to the new Z cars. There are some things that really annoy me about the 350Z, but the 370Z is pretty cool. I will admit I never think about them when I think about sports cars, they sort of fly under the radar.
      Last edited by QWKDTSN; 10-09-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-09-2012 08:13 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      But the Z does wipe the floor with the V6 pony cars and except in straight line acceleration it performs just as well of not better than the V8 Pony cars. The only reason we don't hear about them as much is because as has been said, it's already on its 5th year of production.
      And perhaps because its brake & cooling issues have taken it out of the discussion it really belongs in, which is "Sub-$50K sports car at home on the street or the track".

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-09-2012 08:15 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      And perhaps because its brake & cooling issues have taken it out of the discussion it really belongs in, which is "Sub-$50K sports car at home on the street or the track".
      That is part of the problem. The well publicized issues have reduced its credibility, even among those who will never use those tools. Imagine if the wrangler couldn't handle anything more complex than a fireroad. Even among people who would never take it down rubicon would shun it.

Which is a shame because it did seem like a pretty sweet track car wen it came out.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

6. 10-09-2012 08:18 PM #41
      Clutch is horrible.

The Mustang GT has 100 more HP for the same price and V8 soundtrack and two seats more.

Middle of the road car does nothing really good, nothing really bad. Fair weather fans died with the economy, only hardcore sports car guys left and they want used Porsches, not new Nissans.

Vehicles
      '14 LEAF, '79 MG
      10-09-2012 08:24 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      should be a 2+2 IMO
      I agree 100%. Just something to stuff my 5yo into.
      Currently taking Xanax for range anxiety.

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-09-2012 08:30 PM #43
      I don't think it's enough of an improvement vs 350Z.
      Yes, it's lighter. But it is also smaller, so it should've been more than 100lbs lighter (Base vs Base)
      Engine doesn't sound as good as VQ35HR. It makes almost the same amount of torque. They could've stuck with 3.5L, thus adding lightness.
      Looks... well, I think it's pretty ugly compared to the 350Z. That was, actually, the major deciding factor for me
      The interior is the only thing I congratulate Nissan on with this car. I don't particularly like the design but it is much better put together with superior materials

I've heard a few people say that it was just disappointing given the progression of Z cars up to the latest one. I can't comment on that, as I don't have experience with older Nissans and Datsuns but there has to be some truth in that.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      should be a 2+2 IMO
      No.

9. 10-09-2012 09:11 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      I still don't understand this.
      THIS:

Does not make a car any more practical.

And that's all you'd get in the 370z without making it look like a 280z 2+2 (eww).

I'd actually consider it a downside as in many carpool lanes, they require 3 persons unless your car has 2 seats only.
      Might not make it practical for you but it would make it usable for me. I have a Jeep Commander for practicality and I would not use a 370z as a daily anyway. I just relocated here in CO with my wife and two kids; having no extended family here and a child in special needs, it makes it near impossible for us to do anything in the weekends without the kids. So at this point, any two seater is not an option. Its really not that difficult to understand. Some people could use the extra seats.

I looked at g37's but Infiniti's fit and finish does not justify the premium for me.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec
      10-10-2012 12:37 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Fair weather fans died with the economy, only hardcore sports car guys left and they want used Porsches, not new Nissans.
      My dad bought both.

79 Porsche 930 and a brand new 09 370Z when it came out. Just rolled over 15,000kms this past weekend.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      09 G37 Sedan 6MT
      10-10-2012 12:46 AM #46
      I think they are great cars for the money, they just lack in the NVH department and their brakes are not track worthy.

The arrival of the Genesis coupe, Mustang, and Camaro ate away from their market share dramatically.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      10-10-2012 12:49 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      None of this is actually true. Acceleration wise, the V6 pony cars (at least with reference to the mustang and camaro) and the z are about the same--give or take a couple of tenths here and there. On the track, they're also about the same, at least according to the C&D Lightning Lap series which occurs at VIR. It's really a drivers race at this point.

The current crop of V8 muscle cars will absolutely decimate the Z in acceleration and are also quite a bit quicker than the Z around the track (according to Lightning Lap times at VIR). When car and driver had their "best drivers car under $40k" issue, the Mustang GT also had lap times that were a fair amount faster than the Z and it was also judged to be a better drivers car. And for the price of a base Z with the sport package, you're right around the price of a Camaro SS with the 1LE package, which would decimate a Z around the track.

The Z is a very nice package that does nicely against other 6-cyl options, but it's about $4k too much. The V8 pony cars are vastly better performance cars than a similarly priced Z.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 12:54 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      Might not make it practical for you but it would make it usable for me. I have a Jeep Commander for practicality and I would not use a 370z as a daily anyway. I just relocated here in CO with my wife and two kids; having no extended family here and a child in special needs, it makes it near impossible for us to do anything in the weekends without the kids. So at this point, any two seater is not an option. Its really not that difficult to understand. Some people could use the extra seats.

I looked at g37's but Infiniti's fit and finish does not justify the premium for me.
      I'm not sure the 911 seats would fit a child (and certainly not a child seat). I doubt a 370z's back seats would be any bigger. Not going to be challenger or even mustang sized.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax2k1 View Post
      I think they are great cars for the money, they just lack in the NVH department and their brakes are not track worthy.

The arrival of the Genesis coupe, Mustang, and Camaro ate away from their market share dramatically.
      The brake thing was a red herring. Anyone who tracks with half a brain puts on track pads.
      The problem was oil cooling.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      10-10-2012 01:04 AM #49
      Not a fan of the styling- bulbous and overdone. Wish they would trim it down, make it more lithe.
      Also have heard about how bad the engine sounds at high rpm, definitely a problem in my book.

15. 10-10-2012 01:08 AM #50
      The Z is a very nice package that does nicely against other 6-cyl options, but it's about $4k too much. The V8 pony cars are vastly better performance cars than a similarly priced Z.
      The Z also weighs less and has a shorter wheelbase. I'm guessing that translates to a better driving feel that is hard may not come across when using numbers. That's probably just a personal preference though; like wanting the rumble of a V8.

16. Banned
      10-10-2012 01:27 AM #51
      I still don't understand this.
      THIS:

Does not make a car any more practical.

And that's all you'd get in the 370z without making it look like a 280z 2+2 (eww).

I'd actually consider it a downside as in many carpool lanes, they require 3 persons unless your car has 2 seats only.
      That's essentially what the FR-S/BR-Z looks like, and on here everyone was like "OMG! 2 REAR SEATS!"

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      10-10-2012 01:38 AM #52
      i feel like the 370z is one of those cars that won't truly be appreciated until it's replaced. looking at the comments here, i'm guessing one of the main problems is that people conflate it with the 350z because visibly speaking, they are pretty similar. the main issue with this comparison, however, is that the 370z is a better car than the 350z in almost every way imaginable, with a few niggling caveats regarding reliability, of course. the fact of the matter is, the 370z is a really really fun car to drive, with good power, great looks (subjective, i know), and has excellent potential as a track car (if nissan can address the the brake and fuel issues). it's also likely the last of the VQ powered high performance nissans, which is something that in and of itself bodes well for its future desirability among car enthusiasts.

bottom line, give it some time. when the prices for the 370z drop and nissan no longer offers any NA engines in its high performance lineup, this will be a highly sought after car.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-10-2012 01:41 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by scsuh View Post
      i feel like the 370z is one of those cars that won't truly be appreciated until it's replaced. looking at the comments here, i'm guessing one of the main problems is that people conflate it with the 350z because visibly speaking, they are pretty similar. the main issue with this comparison, however, is that the 370z is a better car than the 350z in almost every way imaginable, with a few niggling caveats regarding reliability, of course. the fact of the matter is, the 370z is a really really fun car to drive, with good power, great looks (subjective, i know), and has excellent potential as a track car (if nissan can address the the brake and fuel issues). it's also likely the last of the VQ powered high performance nissans, which is something that in and of itself bodes well for its future desirability among car enthusiasts.

bottom line, give it some time. when the prices for the 370z drop and nissan no longer offers any NA engines in its high performance lineup, this will be a highly sought after car.
      Best response so far, pretty much what I was thinking. Can't wait until these become affordable.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      10-10-2012 01:45 AM #54
      You can find a few NISMO 370Z's for under 30K second hand and the standard cars are beginning to creep up on the 20K mark in the second hand market. I'd likely say if you're really interested in one they're pretty affordable atm.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 01:51 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      That's essentially what the FR-S/BR-Z looks like, and on here everyone was like "OMG! 2 REAR SEATS!"
      I'm certainly not one of them. In pretty much everything that isn't a challenger or an RX-8 (shockingly good), rear seats in coupes seem to be about justifying the purchase to a significant other or avoiding tax/insurance issues.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      10-10-2012 01:55 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      I don't think it's enough of an improvement vs 350Z.
      Yes, it's lighter. But it is also smaller, so it should've been more than 100lbs lighter (Base vs Base)
      Engine doesn't sound as good as VQ35HR. It makes almost the same amount of torque. They could've stuck with 3.5L, thus adding lightness.
      Looks... well, I think it's pretty ugly compared to the 350Z. That was, actually, the major deciding factor for me
      The interior is the only thing I congratulate Nissan on with this car. I don't particularly like the design but it is much better put together with superior materials

I've heard a few people say that it was just disappointing given the progression of Z cars up to the latest one. I can't comment on that, as I don't have experience with older Nissans and Datsuns but there has to be some truth in that.

No.
      The vq37 makes a good amount more hp and slightly moree torque. But. It has much more power under the curve and a wider power band, so it feels much more powerfull. It's also smoother, likes to rev better, and more refined. Lastly, it sounds better IMO.

I think the 370z looks good, while the 350 is not a car I find attractive. Most folks thought the 370 was an improvement from what I read when it was released.

The car is better then the 350z in every measurable way. And while the engine is a tad heavier then the inferior 3.5 in the 350, it weighs about 100lbs less (or more) then the engine in the old 300zx Tt.
      Last edited by a2a4raddo; 10-10-2012 at 02:44 AM.

22. 10-10-2012 02:14 AM #57
      I like the looks of the 2013 370 Z (never drove one). So, my questions to those who have driven a '2013 370 Z. I built one on the Nissan web site (sport model) and added nismo exhaust (and added nismo stuff like wing, suspension and exhaust, cause it ain't costing me nothing to do it online, Ha!), does that add up to a better car? I mean, the nismo exhaust should help the engine note some gripe about, you can get better brake pads and it shouldn't over heat now that it has an oil cooler. Heck, as a daily that gets a full G on the pad and is that quick to sixty, it should find some love. Oh, btw, I did load the car I bulit online with crazy stuff, so it came in at $41,000, tis a bit high.
      One last thing, I watched the video on the Nissan site about the syncro rev matching manual trans. It seems like a slick piece of engineering. For those that have driven a '13 370 Z manual with this feasture, does it work or is it gimmick? Is it for the lazy and uneducated who can't heel/toe or is it a revelation that enhances the driving experience?
      Disclaimer: I'm not looking to buy a 370 Z, I have a daughter, need rear seats, but it is an ineterseting car, I'm a car guy that likes to know obscure car stuff. Any answers to questions above would be appreciated.

23. 10-10-2012 02:27 AM #58
      I'm not sure the 911 seats would fit a child (and certainly not a child seat). I doubt a 370z's back seats would be any bigger. Not going to be challenger or even mustang sized.
      so it wouldn't be like say its Infiniti counterpart because its not as tight in the back of a G37 as you're making it out to be.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 02:34 AM #59
      so it wouldn't be like say its Infiniti counterpart because its not as tight in the back of a G37 as you're making it out to be.
      The G37c has a foot more wheel base (100.4 v. 112.2) and even a bit more in overall length (167.2 v. 183.x [depending on trim]). So no. A foot is a massive amount of room.
      The G37 is a stretched 350z, not just a 350z with a different look.

25. 10-10-2012 02:37 AM #60
      None of this is actually true. Acceleration wise, the V6 pony cars (at least with reference to the mustang and camaro) and the z are about the same--give or take a couple of tenths here and there. On the track, they're also about the same, at least according to the C&D Lightning Lap series which occurs at VIR. It's really a drivers race at this point.
      http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_nissan_370z/

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      10-10-2012 02:38 AM #61
      What Are you saying? The g37 coupes wheelbase is 12inches longer then the 370z's. and the G37 coupe already has a smaller back seat then bmw's 135i

Nissan could have did what they did with the 300ZX. Make a short wheel base 2 seater and a long wheelbase 4 seater......but they kind of already did by creating the G37 Coupe.
      Last edited by a2a4raddo; 10-10-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-10-2012 02:41 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I like the looks of the 2013 370 Z (never drove one). So, my questions to those who have driven a '2013 370 Z. I built one on the Nissan web site (sport model) and added nismo exhaust (and added nismo stuff like wing, suspension and exhaust, cause it ain't costing me nothing to do it online, Ha!), does that add up to a better car? I mean, the nismo exhaust should help the engine note some gripe about, you can get better brake pads and it shouldn't over heat now that it has an oil cooler. Heck, as a daily that gets a full G on the pad and is that quick to sixty, it should find some love. Oh, btw, I did load the car I bulit online with crazy stuff, so it came in at $41,000, tis a bit high.
      One last thing, I watched the video on the Nissan site about the syncro rev matching manual trans. It seems like a slick piece of engineering. For those that have driven a '13 370 Z manual with this feasture, does it work or is it gimmick? Is it for the lazy and uneducated who can't heel/toe or is it a revelation that enhances the driving experience?
      Disclaimer: I'm not looking to buy a 370 Z, I have a daughter, need rear seats, but it is an ineterseting car, I'm a car guy that likes to know obscure car stuff. Any answers to questions above would be appreciated.
      It depends on application, I suppose. If you just like the looks of NISMO and can swing the bill, it's not a bad option. However, if you like to mod your car and want the best upgrades, it's a waste of money. Viscous LSD is inferior to clutch and helica aftermarket counterparts. True dual exhaust only available aftermarket. 19" wheels are still pretty heavy. If you track it, you'll end up grading ps/oil cooling, brakes. Besides, NISMO body kit is just ricy. Oh, and for a "performance" trim, it is actually the heaviest one.

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta TDI 6MT
      10-10-2012 02:42 AM #63
      This....

Followed by this....

Reminds me of,

This....

Being followed by this....

Last edited by DerSpiegel; 10-10-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      10-10-2012 02:49 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      True that, one of the main reasons like I like 370 over the 350 is because it has a rear seat. Is it comfortable? Probably not. Is it manageable for short distances? Sure!
      "As anyone who has ever tinkered with an old BMW engine or looked out on to the wing of a jet can attest, pure response to engineering requirements can sometimes deliver just as much pleasure as a more intentionally aesthetic design process."

30. 10-10-2012 02:51 AM #65
      The G37c has a foot more wheel base (100.4 v. 112.2) and even a bit more in overall length (167.2 v. 183.x [depending on trim]). So no. A foot is a massive amount of room.
      The G37 is a stretched 350z, not just a 350z with a different look.
      Never stated that nothing about the car would change to get extra room. Besides, my kids are 7 and 9". No need for car seats for me. Im perfectly okay with the back being the size of the BRZ.

Vehicles
      '93 Prelude VTEC, '00 GTI 1.8T, '91 Miata, '13 Golf R
      10-10-2012 03:29 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I am not a fan of the fangs.

Better without the fangs.

10-10-2012 03:43 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuneman7 View Post
      Performance wise, it was a well balanced package when it first came out but has long since been surpassed in that segment without any major upgrades. I would probably think that's the large reason why interest has died down a bit.

Personally, I never really liked how it looks on the exterior though the interior I think is an upgrade compared to the 350Z.
      I agree with the exception of the Nismo. My neighbor has a black Nismo and I love that damn car.

Vehicles
      00 Jaguar XJR, 14 Mazda 6, 08 Honda Element SC
      10-10-2012 05:15 AM #68
      I love the way they look, and for what I understand they responded very well to basic bolt ons

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 05:37 AM #69
      Never stated that nothing about the car would change to get extra room. Besides, my kids are 7 and 9". No need for car seats for me. Im perfectly okay with the back being the size of the BRZ.
      If it was 12in longer, you should just buy a g37. A short wheel base is a selling point for the Z.

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      10-10-2012 08:23 AM #70
      Suffers too much from platform engineering. High belt line and stubby looks due to the chassis being shared with everything else. Engine is also shared with everything else. NVH has and always will be terrible on VQ engines. If I'm spending the money, I'd prefer something bespoke for my troubles.

350z was aesthetically more "neutral". 370z is more likely to offend with catfish grill and stupid looking headlight/tail lights.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast