Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's so lackluster about the 370Z?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      10-10-2012 09:04 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben010783 View Post
      The Z also weighs less and has a shorter wheelbase. I'm guessing that translates to a better driving feel that is hard may not come across when using numbers. That's probably just a personal preference though; like wanting the rumble of a V8.

Impressive times for the Z. I wasn't aware that it was actually that fast. However, if you're going by Motor Trend numbers, the current Mustang GT is about a half second quicker in the quarter mile. And on several different occassions, C&D has demonstrated that the Mustang GT is quicker than either the regular Z or Nismo version around a road course.

Certainly things like feel and looks are far more subjective. I can certainly appreciate someone preferring the looks and drive of a Z over any of the other performance coupes between say, $28k and $35k. I may have been one of them if not for the ludicrous price of the Z.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 10-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      10-10-2012 09:09 AM #72
      370z is not loved (specially in TCL) mainly because of the badge. If it has a BMW badge, everyone here will hump it 24/7... example BMW 1M

only in TCL...
      BMW 1M - 340hp, 3296lb, no one say it is a pig
      BMW Z4M(E86) - 340hp, 3230, no one complaint about its weight
      370z - 330-350hp, 3232lb, it is a pig

But i think the biggest 370z competition is probably this G37. G37 has a better badge, interior and rear seat... (not as hardcore) Yes, there is a $6000 different. But many people are willing to pay extra to "jump" especially most of them are financing or lease them. Also the Infiniti G probably have incentive (discount, financing or leasing deal) much more frequent than 370z.

http://www.infiniti.ca/buying/specia...n/default.aspx
      Last edited by Avus; 10-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-10-2012 09:39 AM #73
      I used to like the look of 350Z more, but the more I look at the 370 the more I like it. Its kinda like the C5->C6 switch, just a tighter looking package with everything shrinkwrapped to the wheels arches. The back with a spoiler even has a bit of 911 in it...350 did not age as well as I thought it would...

As far as VQ goes, the engine is pretty meh NVH wise. From the 03 G35 we had to the 2011 M37x the engine felt coarse in a luxury car, probably a bit less undesirable in a sportscar. But its a powerful motor and in the M37x even for a big car it has plenty of poke(and really, 7600rpm redline...seems odd for such a big car). I can only imagine its a much better match to the smaller car(with 800lb less to haul...)

Unfortunately I think Z is one of the victim of the new pony car war. In 2008 it was probably a great value buy. 300+ bhp, RWD, track package and under 40k. You pit the period Mustang and whatever else in the market and it stacks up pretty good. Up to 2010 the Mustang was still cheap but it was a dog. Then 2011 Mustang showed up with a 300bhp V6 model at 22k and a 400+bhp V8 for just over 30k. Then all of a sudden what was considered "good for the money" changed pretty drastically. On top of that, the new Mustang is a pretty good handler. So much of whats good for the Z now can be had either for less, or faster for the same money....

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      10-10-2012 09:44 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      I still don't understand this.
      THIS:

Does not make a car any more practical.

And that's all you'd get in the 370z without making it look like a 280z 2+2 (eww).

I'd actually consider it a downside as in many carpool lanes, they require 3 persons unless your car has 2 seats only.
      you want to understand?

some of us have wives we have to talk into shi* and that tiny a$$ back seat can seal the deal. That is the only way i was able to negotiate a GC.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      10-10-2012 10:08 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Suffers too much from platform engineering. High belt line and stubby looks due to the chassis being shared with everything else. Engine is also shared with everything else. NVH has and always will be terrible on VQ engines. If I'm spending the money, I'd prefer something bespoke for my troubles.

350z was aesthetically more "neutral". 370z is more likely to offend with catfish grill and stupid looking headlight/tail lights.
      but this is an argument that can be made for many sports cars/coupes in the $30k range. simply stated, it is difficult to build a reliable yet sporty car at an affordable price point without this so-called "platform engineering." overall, though, the 370z is a very fun car to drive. i mean, you never get the feeling that you're not in a sports car when you drive the car. and i feel thatthe 3.7L VQ, while definitely having NVH issues, fits the nature of this car very well. sure the engine is not very refined, but neither is the 370z, and it's not meant to be. now it's a completely different matter when you put the engine in an infiniti.

on a side note, NVH has only really been an issue with the VQ series engine following the development of the VQ35HR. There's a reason the VQ was a perrenial Ward's top 10 engine prior to variant being introduced.

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      10-10-2012 10:26 AM #76
      I loved the 370z and had all intentions of buying one until I drove a car I really had no intentions of buying: a Mustang GT. I wasn't a Mustang fan at all but my friend said I should just drive the new 5.0 and see what it's like. I was hooked. The Mustang had more room, felt like it had power whenever I wanted it and it just made me smile. I'd still take a 370 if I wanted a small sporty car, but for the price, the GT was a winner
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

7. 10-10-2012 10:35 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      So much of whats good for the Z now can be had either for less, or faster for the same money....
      That may have summed up the main problem for the Z. 10 - 15 years ago, the Japanese owned this market. Now, it's a little bit different with the Mustang, Camaro, and the new supposedly lighter upcoming Challenger. At least we know when and how the new Mustang/Camaro will be like in a couple of years with a clear plan of their respectively short coming getting fixed - Mustang with an IRS, the Camaro/Challenger with smaller and lighter chassis. You're starting to see a following for these cars and they are gaining a sizable group of fan. Hm... that's not unlike what's going on 20 years ago with the likes of Supra, Z, RX7, NSX ...

Vehicles
      13 Optima, 10 GT-R
      10-10-2012 01:27 PM #78
      When the pony cars had equivalent or more power for less money, the Z could sell based on looks, handling and being Japanese.

Nissan sat on their laurels, the pony cars got way better in every facet, and new competition showed up in the form of Hyundai and Toyota.

So they're left with looks and Japanese. I love the Z and would take it over the competition- I think it's a half price Cayman, but most wouldn't.

Next gen should offer a smaller displacement V6 with about 275 horsepower and weight loss. Then bring back factory turbos and 400 horsepower FTW.

The return of the 300ZX.
      Quote Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
      Scenario: Uphill on two lane hwy. You need to pass and overtake a slower vehicle. That 151 torque won't let you. You will hit an oncoming car the opposite side if you do.

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      10-10-2012 01:57 PM #79
      I used to love the 370Z. I'd take it in Monterey Blue, please. The high entry cost and the weight (yes, it is lighter than the 350Z, I know) kept me from buying one. I ended up with a BRZ because of the weight, size, and feel.

The brake thing was a red herring. Anyone who tracks with half a brain puts on track pads.
      The problem was oil cooling.
      After Car and driver put a Nismo 370Z into the wall, they tested it again with upgraded pads and fluids, and still found braking issues. It seems like brake cooling ducts would help the brakes stay cooler and prevent fade with even ATE Blue brake fluid and better pads.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lightning-lap

Quote Originally Posted by Klim18 View Post
      True that, one of the main reasons like I like 370 over the 350 is because it has a rear seat. Is it comfortable? Probably not. Is it manageable for short distances? Sure!
      Huh? There's no back seats in the 370Z.

10. 10-10-2012 02:12 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      I loved the 370z and had all intentions of buying one until I drove a car I really had no intentions of buying: a Mustang GT. I wasn't a Mustang fan at all but my friend said I should just drive the new 5.0 and see what it's like. I was hooked. The Mustang had more room, felt like it had power whenever I wanted it and it just made me smile. I'd still take a 370 if I wanted a small sporty car, but for the price, the GT was a winner
      x2. The 370Z would have been my first choice but then I drove the GT and it's much more fun! Steering feel was definitely better on the 370Z, but to me the that's about it.

Vehicles
      11 Camry SE 4 cyl
      10-10-2012 02:52 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      370z is not loved (specially in TCL) mainly because of the badge. If it has a BMW badge, everyone here will hump it 24/7... example BMW 1M

only in TCL...
      BMW 1M - 340hp, 3296lb, no one say it is a pig
      BMW Z4M(E86) - 340hp, 3230, no one complaint about its weight
      370z - 330-350hp, 3232lb, it is a pig
      http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

50 3:06.6 BMW 1-SERIES M LL3 2/12
      54 3:08.6 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 LL2 2/11
      71 3:12.0 NISSAN NISMO 370Z LL2 2/10
      72 3:12.5 NISSAN 350Z TRACK LL1 11/06
      73 3:12.5 FORD MUSTANG V-6 LL1 2/11

I like the Nissan, but the 1-series M is in a different league compared to the Z, even though the measurables are pretty even. The Nismo 370Z msrp is $43k, so they are(were) similar in price as well.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-10-2012 03:05 PM #82
      To me it comes down to the way the car drivers. I test-drove one prior to buying my 135i a couple of years ago.

The interior was flimsey, the engine sounded super harsh, and the car didn't feel very fast (even though it clearly is fast). The downshift-rev-match was pretty cool. But overall I felt like I was in a cheap car. The seats had this weird thing where if you pushed your head back against the headrest, the middle of the seat would push oddly against your back. I guess it felt like what it was: a high performing affordable sports car. I was more in the market for a luxury-oriented car.
      2000 BMW M Roadster - 5-speed
      2014 Mazda Mazda6 - 6-speed
      2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV - 5-speed
      2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan - Nannymobile

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-10-2012 03:21 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      The seats had this weird thing where if you pushed your head back against the headrest, the middle of the seat would push oddly against your back.
      I have noticed this but i'm pretty sure it's a safety feature to cushion your lower back in the event of an accident to avoid whiplash. You have to push your head into the headrest pretty hard to notice it.

I wasn't "wowed" with the 370Z until I drove it on the track. I have really grown to like it the few times i've driven it (~2500kms). I like the heated seats, the nav, all the controls and I actually like the interior materials but my standards aren't as harsh as most on TCL for whatever reason. My favourite thing about the car is the seating position. It feels like you're driving an F-117A Jet or Batmobile.

I will agree the clutch could be better and I honestly don't like the gearing in the 6spd, the car would be fine with a 5pd. It's laboring to drive around town with the 6spd, 1-3 are all too short and 4-6 all feel the same at any legal speed on any highway.

Those are my only minor gripes with the car. I like the VQ and the engine note, I wish it was louder to be honest. I have never noticed any harmonic road noise that other reviewers have stated.

The handling is great and it has plenty of power on tap. I find the suspension to be excellent. It isn't so harsh that you can't drive it on surface streets (ours are rough up here in Canada hammered with frost/salt all winter) but it provides excellent feedback in the twisties. I would honestly daily drive this car if it were mine.

14. 10-10-2012 04:01 PM #84
      My brother has a 2011 example. Offerred to sell it to me next year when he was done with payments--I probably would buy it but:

-only a 2 seater, I have a wife and daughter, leave them both at home
      -huge blind spots, even if you can turn your head like Linda Blair from the Exorcist

Other than that, I would consider it a cool sportscar. I was actually shopping with him and cross-shopped the Genesis V6, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger--we both agreed that other than "the numbers" the other cars just did not have that exta something to make it feel special--the Z did and that's what he bought.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '94 and '90 Miatas
      10-10-2012 04:11 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      I used to love the 370Z. I'd take it in Monterey Blue, please. The high entry cost and the weight (yes, it is lighter than the 350Z, I know) kept me from buying one. I ended up with a BRZ because of the weight, size, and feel.

After Car and driver put a Nismo 370Z into the wall, they tested it again with upgraded pads and fluids, and still found braking issues. It seems like brake cooling ducts would help the brakes stay cooler and prevent fade with even ATE Blue brake fluid and better pads.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lightning-lap
      That retest was bogus. It's not completely their fault. I'm sure they asked Nissan if they could take it back to the track and do the retest there, and Nissan told them to go pound sand.

nm+ is right. I see plenty of 370zs at track events running OEM pads and rotors (usually NISMO pads, which are a factory or dealer option on all Zs with the sport package) and upgraded fluid.

And if you're driving anything short of an Elise, Z06 or 911 at the track without upgrading the fluid, you're doing it wrong.

Now oil cooling, yes, that's a legit concern, as it was on 350zs as well. NISMO oil cooler is a must-have.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-10-2012 04:15 PM #86
      I'm not understanding the dislike for the engine note. I think it's really raw and throaty, pretty unique note if you ask me - don't know of any other car that has such a distinct noise. Each his/her own I guess.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-10-2012 04:16 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      you want to understand?

some of us have wives we have to talk into shi* and that tiny a$$ back seat can seal the deal. That is the only way i was able to negotiate a GC.
      I did acknowledge that in another post, but people here were talking about putting live humans in them. Child cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      To me it comes down to the way the car drivers. I test-drove one prior to buying my 135i a couple of years ago.

The interior was flimsey, the engine sounded super harsh, and the car didn't feel very fast (even though it clearly is fast). The downshift-rev-match was pretty cool. But overall I felt like I was in a cheap car. The seats had this weird thing where if you pushed your head back against the headrest, the middle of the seat would push oddly against your back. I guess it felt like what it was: a high performing affordable sports car. I was more in the market for a luxury-oriented car.
      Anti-whiplash active head restraints.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      10-10-2012 04:25 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      I'm not understanding the dislike for the engine note. I think it's really raw and throaty, pretty unique note if you ask me - don't know of any other car that has such a distinct noise. Each his/her own I guess.
      to be fair, the vq37 does sound pretty awful at higher rpm's; it's just not a sonorous engine or exhaust note. i do like the sound of the engine at start up and low revs, especially with certain aftermarket exhausts.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 04:26 PM #89
      Groupthink. Bagging on the VQ is especially hip here.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-10-2012 04:27 PM #90
      I can't comment on the note as I have only driven the engine in Infiniti, and Z obviously has different exhaust note, but for the sky high redline, the engine doesn't seem very happy being thrashed at that end....

21. Member
      Vehicles
      mk1
      10-10-2012 04:35 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      350z was aesthetically more "neutral". 370z is more likely to offend with catfish grill and stupid looking headlight/tail lights.

Vehicles
      2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 6MT, 2008 MazdaSpeed 3 GT
      10-10-2012 04:58 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      Pretty much this.

The VQ is a stout engine that can take a beating and still want more. It's rev-happy, engaging, has power everywhere, and has its own unique sound that it's vocal about. Here's a 3.7L NA V6 engine that makes 332-350 HP stock and is more torquier than the numbers suggest without implementing direct injection.

Yes, fuel economy varies from poor to abysmal when you're ripping on them, and yes, they tend to be edgy as the RPM needle swings past 6 grand, but you can never say they're short on character. There are reasons why it's the most awarded series of V6 engines ever, and even the VQ37VHR that TCL is bagging on in this thread has been awarded too.

Besides, Nissan tunes the exhaust to sound certain ways in each application. It's not the engine that sounds that way, it's the exhaust tuning.

Vehicles
      2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 6MT, 2008 MazdaSpeed 3 GT
      10-10-2012 05:03 PM #93

Last edited by 1990MoneyPit; 10-10-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2011 Mazda CX-9
      10-10-2012 05:05 PM #94
      Being that I've owned one, I think I'm allowed to have an opinion, and I think they sound purely awful. Unique doesn't always mean good.

Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-10-2012 05:08 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      I don't get it, either. The VQ is a great engine with a fantastic powerband, even if it sounds a bit rough at high RPM.

My GF's EX35 has the VQ35HR and it's an absolute peach to drive--torque pretty much everywhere, amazingly linear power delivery, and as mentioned earlier it doesn't sound like a kazoo due to exhaust tuning.

26. 10-10-2012 05:20 PM #96
      I did acknowledge that in another post, but people here were talking about putting live humans in them. Child cruelty.
      You either don't have children, never seen children, or have really big children. The size of the back seat of a sports car dwarfs a child sitting in it. The rear seat of most sports cars, however small they may be, were designed to fit an adult in it. Maybe not comfortably but would fit an adult regardless.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-10-2012 05:28 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      You either don't have children, never seen children, or have really big children. The size of the back seat of a sports car dwarfs a child sitting in it. The rear seat of most sports cars, however small they may be, were designed to fit an adult in it. Maybe not comfortably but would fit an adult regardless.
      Adult double amputees?

Adult sufferers of scoliosis?

Adult little people?

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

28. 10-10-2012 05:51 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Adult double amputees?

Adult sufferers of scoliosis?

Adult little people?

Right...because none of those front seats can be moved up at all. Going back to my point, I wouldn't buy a 370Z with a rear seat to fit an adult in the back as it would be cramped but my kids would have no problem sitting back there.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 05:56 PM #99
      Right...because none of those front seats can be moved up at all. Going back to my point, I wouldn't buy a 370Z with a rear seat to fit an adult in the back as it would be cramped but my kids would have no problem sitting back there.
      I'm 5'9" when I crane my neck and I can't fit behind the passenger seat in a 991 with it adjusted all the way forward, not even close, not even a little bit.

You'd have to be 4' tall to fit back there, and I don't mean comfortably... I'm talking at all.

The only comfortable compact 2+2 of the modern era is the RX-8, and nothing else out there is packaged like it.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8t
      10-10-2012 06:14 PM #100
      Ah, you guys complaining about backseats! I'm glad I have no kids and single. A real sports car does not have backseats! My first "sports car" was an mr2 turbo, no backseat in that. Then I bought a 2nd mr2 turbo. btw, why would you take your kids on canyon runs? get a beater or a camcord if you want to haul the wifey/rugrats around.

IMO, I would love to have a 370z, I like the way they look(especially the Nismo edition). But with my current budget, I'd get a 350z and supercharged that bitch. 400+ rwhp in a 350z would make me a happy man. Maybe in a few years, the 370 will drop down to 10-15k and I can finally get one. Around here, 350s and 370s are rare.... I run into Camaros and Mustangs all the time.

31. 10-10-2012 06:20 PM #101
      I dunno, I like the sound of the VQ once it's opened up.

I think the exhaust has a lot to do with the sound stock. Fun car, both stock and modified, the NISMO looks killer, it has a few flaws that are easily fixed (clutch slave, oil temp, not a GTR motor). You could do a lot worse.

Also, it's a sports car, who cares about rear seats?

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      10-10-2012 06:28 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post

33. Banned
      10-10-2012 06:36 PM #103
      Right...because none of those front seats can be moved up at all.
      And that would leave how much room for the driver and passenger?

Vehicles
      Ford Mustang GT
      10-10-2012 06:48 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
      Stupid. At 3232lbs its far from a pig.

What I am surprised with is the MSRP. When this car first was introduced it was 28k base... now its 33k. WTF?
      '00 Mustang GT 5MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-10-2012 07:11 PM #105
      As a former 350z owner, I can say that I am ambivalent about the 370z. I feel like they complicated what were very clean, simple lines.

But other than that, it's an awesome car. Not a pig... lighter than the 350 and more powerful. The engine is bulletproof, like another poster said. They just don't get a lot of attention because upline there is the GT-R, which is far and away a superior car (at a superior price of course). Also, the 2 seater configuration without 2-seater performance or luxury (think Corvette or SL 500), it is sort of in a class of its own. The cars it competes with are the American Muscle Set, and they're all 2+2's.

That said, I'd drive one
      - mikey

"It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast