VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What's so lackluster about the 370Z?

21K views 111 replies 66 participants last post by  Khyron 
#1 ·
I remember a few years ago there was a lot of hype surrounding the 370Z but then after release it just kind of fizzled away and until now there has barely been any talk or people suggesting it in "what sports car should I buy threads"..so what's the deal with it?

See less See more
#52 ·
i feel like the 370z is one of those cars that won't truly be appreciated until it's replaced. looking at the comments here, i'm guessing one of the main problems is that people conflate it with the 350z because visibly speaking, they are pretty similar. the main issue with this comparison, however, is that the 370z is a better car than the 350z in almost every way imaginable, with a few niggling caveats regarding reliability, of course. the fact of the matter is, the 370z is a really really fun car to drive, with good power, great looks (subjective, i know), and has excellent potential as a track car (if nissan can address the the brake and fuel issues). it's also likely the last of the VQ powered high performance nissans, which is something that in and of itself bodes well for its future desirability among car enthusiasts.

bottom line, give it some time. when the prices for the 370z drop and nissan no longer offers any NA engines in its high performance lineup, this will be a highly sought after car.

#57 ·
Is It Better Now Than It Was Five Years Ago?

I like the looks of the 2013 370 Z (never drove one). So, my questions to those who have driven a '2013 370 Z. I built one on the Nissan web site (sport model) and added nismo exhaust (and added nismo stuff like wing, suspension and exhaust, cause it ain't costing me nothing to do it online, Ha!), does that add up to a better car? I mean, the nismo exhaust should help the engine note some gripe about, you can get better brake pads and it shouldn't over heat now that it has an oil cooler. Heck, as a daily that gets a full G on the pad and is that quick to sixty, it should find some love. Oh, btw, I did load the car I bulit online with crazy stuff, so it came in at $41,000, tis a bit high.
One last thing, I watched the video on the Nissan site about the syncro rev matching manual trans. It seems like a slick piece of engineering. For those that have driven a '13 370 Z manual with this feasture, does it work or is it gimmick? Is it for the lazy and uneducated who can't heel/toe or is it a revelation that enhances the driving experience?
Disclaimer: I'm not looking to buy a 370 Z, I have a daughter, need rear seats, but it is an ineterseting car, I'm a car guy that likes to know obscure car stuff. Any answers to questions above would be appreciated.

#62 ·
I like the looks of the 2013 370 Z (never drove one). So, my questions to those who have driven a '2013 370 Z. I built one on the Nissan web site (sport model) and added nismo exhaust (and added nismo stuff like wing, suspension and exhaust, cause it ain't costing me nothing to do it online, Ha!), does that add up to a better car? I mean, the nismo exhaust should help the engine note some gripe about, you can get better brake pads and it shouldn't over heat now that it has an oil cooler. Heck, as a daily that gets a full G on the pad and is that quick to sixty, it should find some love. Oh, btw, I did load the car I bulit online with crazy stuff, so it came in at $41,000, tis a bit high.
One last thing, I watched the video on the Nissan site about the syncro rev matching manual trans. It seems like a slick piece of engineering. For those that have driven a '13 370 Z manual with this feasture, does it work or is it gimmick? Is it for the lazy and uneducated who can't heel/toe or is it a revelation that enhances the driving experience?
Disclaimer: I'm not looking to buy a 370 Z, I have a daughter, need rear seats, but it is an ineterseting car, I'm a car guy that likes to know obscure car stuff. Any answers to questions above would be appreciated.
It depends on application, I suppose. If you just like the looks of NISMO and can swing the bill, it's not a bad option. However, if you like to mod your car and want the best upgrades, it's a waste of money. Viscous LSD is inferior to clutch and helica aftermarket counterparts. True dual exhaust only available aftermarket. 19" wheels are still pretty heavy. If you track it, you'll end up grading ps/oil cooling, brakes. Besides, NISMO body kit is just ricy. Oh, and for a "performance" trim, it is actually the heaviest one.

#63 · (Edited)
This....

Followed by this....

Reminds me of,

This....

Being followed by this....

#70 ·
Suffers too much from platform engineering. High belt line and stubby looks due to the chassis being shared with everything else. Engine is also shared with everything else. NVH has and always will be terrible on VQ engines. If I'm spending the money, I'd prefer something bespoke for my troubles.

350z was aesthetically more "neutral". 370z is more likely to offend with catfish grill and stupid looking headlight/tail lights.

#75 ·
but this is an argument that can be made for many sports cars/coupes in the $30k range. simply stated, it is difficult to build a reliable yet sporty car at an affordable price point without this so-called "platform engineering." overall, though, the 370z is a very fun car to drive. i mean, you never get the feeling that you're not in a sports car when you drive the car. and i feel thatthe 3.7L VQ, while definitely having NVH issues, fits the nature of this car very well. sure the engine is not very refined, but neither is the 370z, and it's not meant to be. now it's a completely different matter when you put the engine in an infiniti.

on a side note, NVH has only really been an issue with the VQ series engine following the development of the VQ35HR. There's a reason the VQ was a perrenial Ward's top 10 engine prior to variant being introduced.

#72 · (Edited)
370z is not loved (specially in TCL) mainly because of the badge. :rolleyes::rolleyes: If it has a BMW badge, everyone here will hump it 24/7... example BMW 1M

only in TCL...
BMW 1M - 340hp, 3296lb, no one say it is a pig
BMW Z4M(E86) - 340hp, 3230, no one complaint about its weight
370z - 330-350hp, 3232lb, it is a pig

But i think the biggest 370z competition is probably this G37. G37 has a better badge, interior and rear seat... (not as hardcore) Yes, there is a $6000 different. But many people are willing to pay extra to "jump" especially most of them are financing or lease them. Also the Infiniti G probably have incentive (discount, financing or leasing deal) much more frequent than 370z.

http://www.infiniti.ca/buying/specialoffers/en/default.aspx

#81 ·
370z is not loved (specially in TCL) mainly because of the badge. :rolleyes::rolleyes: If it has a BMW badge, everyone here will hump it 24/7... example BMW 1M

only in TCL...
BMW 1M - 340hp, 3296lb, no one say it is a pig
BMW Z4M(E86) - 340hp, 3230, no one complaint about its weight
370z - 330-350hp, 3232lb, it is a pig
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...plete-lightning-lap-times-2006-to-2012-page-8

50 3:06.6 BMW 1-SERIES M LL3 2/12
54 3:08.6 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 LL2 2/11
71 3:12.0 NISSAN NISMO 370Z LL2 2/10
72 3:12.5 NISSAN 350Z TRACK LL1 11/06
73 3:12.5 FORD MUSTANG V-6 LL1 2/11

I like the Nissan, but the 1-series M is in a different league compared to the Z, even though the measurables are pretty even. The Nismo 370Z msrp is $43k, so they are(were) similar in price as well.

#73 ·
I used to like the look of 350Z more, but the more I look at the 370 the more I like it. Its kinda like the C5->C6 switch, just a tighter looking package with everything shrinkwrapped to the wheels arches. The back with a spoiler even has a bit of 911 in it...350 did not age as well as I thought it would...

As far as VQ goes, the engine is pretty meh NVH wise. From the 03 G35 we had to the 2011 M37x the engine felt coarse in a luxury car, probably a bit less undesirable in a sportscar. But its a powerful motor and in the M37x even for a big car it has plenty of poke(and really, 7600rpm redline...seems odd for such a big car). I can only imagine its a much better match to the smaller car(with 800lb less to haul...)

Unfortunately I think Z is one of the victim of the new pony car war. In 2008 it was probably a great value buy. 300+ bhp, RWD, track package and under 40k. You pit the period Mustang and whatever else in the market and it stacks up pretty good. Up to 2010 the Mustang was still cheap but it was a dog. Then 2011 Mustang showed up with a 300bhp V6 model at 22k and a 400+bhp V8 for just over 30k. Then all of a sudden what was considered "good for the money" changed pretty drastically. On top of that, the new Mustang is a pretty good handler. So much of whats good for the Z now can be had either for less, or faster for the same money....

#77 ·
So much of whats good for the Z now can be had either for less, or faster for the same money....
That may have summed up the main problem for the Z. 10 - 15 years ago, the Japanese owned this market. Now, it's a little bit different with the Mustang, Camaro, and the new supposedly lighter upcoming Challenger. At least we know when and how the new Mustang/Camaro will be like in a couple of years with a clear plan of their respectively short coming getting fixed - Mustang with an IRS, the Camaro/Challenger with smaller and lighter chassis. You're starting to see a following for these cars and they are gaining a sizable group of fan. Hm... that's not unlike what's going on 20 years ago with the likes of Supra, Z, RX7, NSX ...

#76 ·
I loved the 370z and had all intentions of buying one until I drove a car I really had no intentions of buying: a Mustang GT. I wasn't a Mustang fan at all but my friend said I should just drive the new 5.0 and see what it's like. I was hooked. The Mustang had more room, felt like it had power whenever I wanted it and it just made me smile. I'd still take a 370 if I wanted a small sporty car, but for the price, the GT was a winner

#78 ·
When the pony cars had equivalent or more power for less money, the Z could sell based on looks, handling and being Japanese.

Nissan sat on their laurels, the pony cars got way better in every facet, and new competition showed up in the form of Hyundai and Toyota.

So they're left with looks and Japanese. I love the Z and would take it over the competition- I think it's a half price Cayman, but most wouldn't.

Next gen should offer a smaller displacement V6 with about 275 horsepower and weight loss. Then bring back factory turbos and 400 horsepower FTW.

The return of the 300ZX.

#82 ·
To me it comes down to the way the car drivers. I test-drove one prior to buying my 135i a couple of years ago.

The interior was flimsey, the engine sounded super harsh, and the car didn't feel very fast (even though it clearly is fast). The downshift-rev-match was pretty cool. But overall I felt like I was in a cheap car. The seats had this weird thing where if you pushed your head back against the headrest, the middle of the seat would push oddly against your back. I guess it felt like what it was: a high performing affordable sports car. I was more in the market for a luxury-oriented car.

#83 ·
The seats had this weird thing where if you pushed your head back against the headrest, the middle of the seat would push oddly against your back.
I have noticed this but i'm pretty sure it's a safety feature to cushion your lower back in the event of an accident to avoid whiplash. You have to push your head into the headrest pretty hard to notice it.

I wasn't "wowed" with the 370Z until I drove it on the track. I have really grown to like it the few times i've driven it (~2500kms). I like the heated seats, the nav, all the controls and I actually like the interior materials but my standards aren't as harsh as most on TCL for whatever reason. My favourite thing about the car is the seating position. It feels like you're driving an F-117A Jet or Batmobile.

I will agree the clutch could be better and I honestly don't like the gearing in the 6spd, the car would be fine with a 5pd. It's laboring to drive around town with the 6spd, 1-3 are all too short and 4-6 all feel the same at any legal speed on any highway.

Those are my only minor gripes with the car. I like the VQ and the engine note, I wish it was louder to be honest. I have never noticed any harmonic road noise that other reviewers have stated.

The handling is great and it has plenty of power on tap. I find the suspension to be excellent. It isn't so harsh that you can't drive it on surface streets (ours are rough up here in Canada hammered with frost/salt all winter) but it provides excellent feedback in the twisties. I would honestly daily drive this car if it were mine.

#84 ·
My brother has a 2011 example. Offerred to sell it to me next year when he was done with payments--I probably would buy it but:

-only a 2 seater, I have a wife and daughter, leave them both at home:laugh:
-huge blind spots, even if you can turn your head like Linda Blair from the Exorcist

Other than that, I would consider it a cool sportscar. I was actually shopping with him and cross-shopped the Genesis V6, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger--we both agreed that other than "the numbers" the other cars just did not have that exta something to make it feel special--the Z did and that's what he bought.

#88 ·
I'm not understanding the dislike for the engine note. I think it's really raw and throaty, pretty unique note if you ask me - don't know of any other car that has such a distinct noise. Each his/her own I guess.
to be fair, the vq37 does sound pretty awful at higher rpm's; it's just not a sonorous engine or exhaust note. i do like the sound of the engine at start up and low revs, especially with certain aftermarket exhausts.

#100 ·
Ah, you guys complaining about backseats! :laugh: I'm glad I have no kids and single. A real sports car does not have backseats! My first "sports car" was an mr2 turbo, no backseat in that. Then I bought a 2nd mr2 turbo. btw, why would you take your kids on canyon runs? get a beater or a camcord if you want to haul the wifey/rugrats around.

IMO, I would love to have a 370z, I like the way they look(especially the Nismo edition). But with my current budget, I'd get a 350z and supercharged that bitch. 400+ rwhp in a 350z would make me a happy man. Maybe in a few years, the 370 will drop down to 10-15k and I can finally get one. Around here, 350s and 370s are rare.... I run into Camaros and Mustangs all the time.

#101 ·
I dunno, I like the sound of the VQ once it's opened up.

I think the exhaust has a lot to do with the sound stock. Fun car, both stock and modified, the NISMO looks killer, it has a few flaws that are easily fixed (clutch slave, oil temp, not a GTR motor). You could do a lot worse.

Also, it's a sports car, who cares about rear seats?

#105 ·
As a former 350z owner, I can say that I am ambivalent about the 370z. I feel like they complicated what were very clean, simple lines.

But other than that, it's an awesome car. Not a pig... lighter than the 350 and more powerful. The engine is bulletproof, like another poster said. They just don't get a lot of attention because upline there is the GT-R, which is far and away a superior car (at a superior price of course). Also, the 2 seater configuration without 2-seater performance or luxury (think Corvette or SL 500), it is sort of in a class of its own. The cars it competes with are the American Muscle Set, and they're all 2+2's.

That said, I'd drive one :thumbup::thumbup:

#112 ·
No backseat is a deal-breaker for a big percentage of your buying market. I get it when it's not possible (like a Cayman) but the 370 seems to have the room. Child car seats work fine in 997/991's. Even if you're big, you can put one behind the empty passenger and now you can take your fun car when you need to take 1 kid to soccer/dance/whatever.

Other than a trivial weight/cost penalty, there's no real con to putting a backseat in, but tons of potential benefit. 6'4", or have no kids - no skin off your back if it's there. Fold down, or take em out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.