VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

PayPal claim filed against me. What to do?

18K views 159 replies 45 participants last post by  phil123 
#1 ·
So basically,
I sold wheels.
Buyer pays with PayPal.
Buyer chose UPS to ship the wheels.
I shipped wheels with UPS.
UPS lost 2 of the wheels.
I file a claim for the buyer with UPS.
Buyer files a claim with PayPal.
In the buyer's statement, he says that I ignored his texts and did little to nothing to contact UPS and find the wheels. (The lady that helped me file the claim with UPS knew what I was calling for every time I called and heard my name. I also have answered every text he has sent and even tried calling him about the status of the wheels.)

The dispute isn't settled yet, but when I actually talked to a PayPal rep in the claims dept., she said that I would probably have to give the buyer a full refund or take back the 2 wheels and give a partial refund.

I feel like I did everything right as a seller. I even gave him a choice of which shipper to use. I gave him tracking numbers the minute I got them. He never asked for any kind of insurance, so I didn't offer or obtain any quotes regarding insurance.

Is there anything I can do to help my case? I have all conversations with the buyer (via text and vortex pm's) and receipts from UPS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gaston

See less See more
#6 ·
Unfortunately, I think they're right. Unless you have a uncut video of you boxing each one up, labeling the boxes, making the transaction with UPS, etc, they usually pin it on the seller. It's bull****, especially if the buyer didn't ask for any insurance and you provided tracking numbers.

Give them any piece of info you can possibly think of and hopefully the PayPal gods will be forgiving.

#7 ·
Buyer is 100% scamming you.

If you supplied the buyer with tracking info, then it's on ups, not you, to resolve this. It's the dumbass buyers fault for not opting for insurance. He did that on purpose to scam you. Insurance is cheap, so no excuse. As soon as you handed the product over to ups, it's on them to deliver. I tell this to anyone buying from me. As soon as it leaves my hands (as by providing tracking info to buyer as proof) I'm resolved of all responsibility.

#9 ·
I'd bet almost anything that the overwhelming #1 reason for package loss is them leaving packages at the wrong address and people keeping other people's sh!t.

UPS once left a set of shocks & springs I'd ordered at the wrong house, three streets over, with a totally different house number. Nothing about the address was remotely close or easily confused. Luckily, the people that received it brought it to me after I chewed UPS a new a$$hole and let the company I purchased from have it as well when they told me I was s.o.l.

#16 ·
I've had the exact scam pulled on me. Luckily, my transaction was through eBay so they already had the documentation of the item, sale price, tracking number, etc. They took my money anyway and held it for 2 weeks, then one day I noticed it was back in my account. I called and they said they denied the claim as the buyer had pulled this same thing 4 more times in the last month. Hopefully this happens to you.

#21 ·
What happens when you track shipment?
If you shipped 4 boxes, even with one tracking number, it's says how many are delivered.
If all 4 delivered, your absolved. Buyer can't fake that.
If he refused two packages, you'll get them back.

With tracking numbers, it's hard for a dead-beat buyer to scam.

#39 ·
The buyer should have requested insurance. It sucks for him, but that's the reality.

As the seller, this is not your fault.
False. As stated, seller is responsible for recouping from claim if the items are lost or damaged while shipping. It's your responsibility to cover your own ass. Either add the charge in the shipping cost, eat it from your item cost, or don't ship. It's that simple and it's the seller's fault for not covering their own ass.

I feel like a broken record in a large echoing room.

#26 ·
That is the problem with Paypal. The buyer is always right. IMO, the shipper is at fault and the buyer did not opt for the insurance. It is a matter of a claim between the buyer and shipper in my eyes, but Paypal will side otherwise. It is a shame.

I assume you have all the shipping information i.e. tracking number and receipt of shipment that UPS gives? Those might save your anus....

#28 ·
Unfortunately you sold him 4 wheels. He got 2. Who's he supposed to open a claim with UPS? He didn't ship them and UPS won't talk to him.

therefore whats he supposed to do?

Ask any company that sells parts if this happens they are the ones that have to resolve it. So you have him ship the two wheels back. Refund his money. then you deal with UPS. Then try and sell two wheels.

Sucks but in the end all he wants is his money back he doesn't care what you have to do for you to recoup the loss. I don't blame him.

I would have only opened the claim with PayPal if you didn't refund my money back within a reasonable time. But that is just me I am nice :laugh:

#30 ·
Had this happen to me.
Once UPS left my package at some guys house w same last name. Different town and street.. Lucky they knew my cousin and I got the package.
Second time they left the package on my previous adress. When I asked why, they said they searched my name and found that adress. No idea why they didn't ship to adress on the box.

Both times I didn't bother the seller. They gave me tracking # w the right adress. Not their fault UPS screwed up.

When shipping bigger more expensive stuff, use signature confirmation and insurance.

#33 ·
be sure to provide paypal with any and all proof that you can muster...

that you replied to texts.

that the buyer refused to pay for shipping insurance.

ups lost item/insurance forms.

email threads.

etc.

i had a claim against me for a defective on arrival hdd. the ebay ad was shown to say no warranty/guarantee. the buyer declined to pay for insurance. i shipped 4 drives the same way, only 1... his arrived bad. not my fault. but he blamed my packaging (a hdd shipping box) and wanted a full refund.

i agreed that if he shipped me the drive back i would give him a refund minus the $6 shipping.
the buyer was unwilling to do that.

i won. he got nothing.

#35 ·
The point you all are missing is this... Yes, UPS is responsible for the lost package, but UPS is responsible ONLY to the shipper. They are not responsible to PayPal or the buyer, neither of those entities have any recourse with UPS, as they are not UPS's customer. Only the shipper can recover anything from UPS.

#37 ·
I'm pretty sure it is on the seller unless you explicitly offered to buy insurance for an extra charge, and he declined.

Think about it this way: If you order something from Amazon, and it doesn't get here, who do you expect to eat the cost? Amazon. Insurance protects the seller, not the buyer.

And for those screaming scam: OP states he tracked them and the two wheels were listed as not delivered.

You should, however, go after UPS for whatever you can get.

#42 ·
I'm pretty sure it is on the seller unless you explicitly offered to buy insurance for an extra charge, and he declined.
Even then Pay Pal does not care that the seller declined to purchase insurance for a package they shipped.

also. even once... IF... UPS owns up and covers the loss, that has NOTHING to do with taking care of the paypal claim.
Yes it does. Refund the money after getting what items back you can from the buyer. You can't expect someone to pay for a screwed up order. File a claim and receive monetary compensation. Everything is resolved.

#44 ·
Buyer is 100% scamming you.

If you supplied the buyer with tracking info, then it's on ups, not you, to resolve this. It's the dumbass buyers fault for not opting for insurance. He did that on purpose to scam you. Insurance is cheap, so no excuse. As soon as you handed the product over to ups, it's on them to deliver. I tell this to anyone buying from me. As soon as it leaves my hands (as by providing tracking info to buyer as proof) I'm resolved of all responsibility

UPS still insures items (each ) up to 100 bucks. that is even if you opt to not get the insurance because it is intheir care and the insurance is for anything over 100.00 which protects you and the buyer in case of mishap. Seller you should file your claim with UPS and once they get back with you with the amount that you will receive pass that along to the seller or just reimburse him and take your cash. Either or the buyer has to wait for them to resolve the matter with you. I have had things lost and i worked for UPS and FedEx. to be honest most of the things are not left at the wrong address they are stolen by employees or some middle man who sees the items some how whether its a trucking company or inside job. only high dollar items go missing most of the time unless something is damaged or just out of a box and no verification is there to help track the package definitely go to UPS and demand they refund you.

#50 ·
moral of the story

if you ship wheels that are worth more than what they are insured for by the carrier ( in this case $100 or or $200 or whatever )
be prepared to pay to play when they are lost / stolen / damaged.

if OP had the insurance he would be ok.. in this instance he will get the minimal $$ from UPS.. and have to pay the buyer.

s#it happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.