Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 160

    Thread: PayPal claim filed against me. What to do?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2002
      Location
      Oak Lawn, IL
      Posts
      1,510
      Vehicles
      01 Audi A4 1.8t, 08 Pontiac Torrent
      10-09-2012 04:21 PM #26
      That is the problem with Paypal. The buyer is always right. IMO, the shipper is at fault and the buyer did not opt for the insurance. It is a matter of a claim between the buyer and shipper in my eyes, but Paypal will side otherwise. It is a shame.

      I assume you have all the shipping information i.e. tracking number and receipt of shipment that UPS gives? Those might save your anus....
      < Dan >

      B5 Audi 1.8t

      "Vortex Minecraft Server" - Handle "Duallie"

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 1999
      Location
      West Chester, PA
      Posts
      6,485
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      10-09-2012 04:26 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 911_fan View Post
      How in the hell is it the sellers responsibility to make sure the ups employees do their job???? That's bs.
      Because the seller is the one that PAID ups to ship the ****. AND the SELLER is the one that gets the money if he bought insurance and they pay the claim.

      What the **** is the buyer supposed to do with 2 wheels ? And no, it's not the buyers fault they didn't buy insurance. This is one of the most over-played myths in e-commerce. You either FORCE the buyer to pay for insurance by adding it to the charges or you eat it out of your sale price. Insurance does dick for the recipient - they can't file a claim with any shipper, thats always on the sender/payor.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

    3. Member supermega1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2006
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      1,174
      Vehicles
      '05 GTI 1.8BT
      10-09-2012 04:27 PM #28
      Unfortunately you sold him 4 wheels. He got 2. Who's he supposed to open a claim with UPS? He didn't ship them and UPS won't talk to him.

      therefore whats he supposed to do?

      Ask any company that sells parts if this happens they are the ones that have to resolve it. So you have him ship the two wheels back. Refund his money. then you deal with UPS. Then try and sell two wheels.

      Sucks but in the end all he wants is his money back he doesn't care what you have to do for you to recoup the loss. I don't blame him.

      I would have only opened the claim with PayPal if you didn't refund my money back within a reasonable time. But that is just me I am nice
      *Insert old signature here.

    4. Banned jrmcm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2001
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      5,566
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 04:28 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by supermega1 View Post
      Who's he supposed to open a claim with UPS? He didn't ship them and UPS won't talk to him.

      therefore whats he supposed to do?
      ding ding ding

    5. Member TM87's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 30th, 2008
      Location
      Windsor CT
      Posts
      11,822
      Vehicles
      VW
      10-09-2012 04:29 PM #30
      Had this happen to me.
      Once UPS left my package at some guys house w same last name. Different town and street.. Lucky they knew my cousin and I got the package.
      Second time they left the package on my previous adress. When I asked why, they said they searched my name and found that adress. No idea why they didn't ship to adress on the box.

      Both times I didn't bother the seller. They gave me tracking # w the right adress. Not their fault UPS screwed up.

      When shipping bigger more expensive stuff, use signature confirmation and insurance.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

    6. Banned jrmcm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2001
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      5,566
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 04:32 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post

      Both times I didn't bother the seller. They gave me tracking # w the right adress. Not their fault UPS screwed up.
      That's because you got lucky and UPS/fate helped you find your stuff. That isn't always the case.

    7. Senior Member abeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2002
      Location
      Joe's Garage / Chicago
      Posts
      24,448
      Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      10-09-2012 04:34 PM #32
      I wont use UPS to ship car parts. ever.


      OP - you have 4 recpts showing these were shipped?
      WITW

    8. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      24,148
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      10-09-2012 04:34 PM #33
      be sure to provide paypal with any and all proof that you can muster...

      that you replied to texts.

      that the buyer refused to pay for shipping insurance.

      ups lost item/insurance forms.

      email threads.

      etc.

      i had a claim against me for a defective on arrival hdd. the ebay ad was shown to say no warranty/guarantee. the buyer declined to pay for insurance. i shipped 4 drives the same way, only 1... his arrived bad. not my fault. but he blamed my packaging (a hdd shipping box) and wanted a full refund.

      i agreed that if he shipped me the drive back i would give him a refund minus the $6 shipping.
      the buyer was unwilling to do that.

      i won. he got nothing.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache - Bing Rewards

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,672
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-09-2012 04:36 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      What happens when you track shipment?
      If you shipped 4 boxes, even with one tracking number, it's says how many are delivered.
      If all 4 delivered, your absolved. Buyer can't fake that.
      If he refused two packages, you'll get them back.

      With tracking numbers, it's hard for a dead-beat buyer to scam.
      Pay Pal requires a signature confirmation on sales over a certain dollar amount to be covered. I think it's $200. He can still lose out on the claim because of it.

      And OP is dumb for not paying for insurance. Yes, I just called you dumb. Always purchase the insurance and if you want include that in the shipping price with no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If a buyer absolutely will not buy something without you including insurance, you don't sale the item to them. It's that simple.

      Just take it as a lesson learned and make sure you read Pay Pal's seller protection guidelines on their site. It states on there was is required to be protected.

    10. Banned jrmcm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2001
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      5,566
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 04:38 PM #35
      The point you all are missing is this... Yes, UPS is responsible for the lost package, but UPS is responsible ONLY to the shipper. They are not responsible to PayPal or the buyer, neither of those entities have any recourse with UPS, as they are not UPS's customer. Only the shipper can recover anything from UPS.

    11. Member FACTORYBOOST's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2011
      Location
      The Fort
      Posts
      1,567
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      10-09-2012 04:38 PM #36
      Change your phone number, close your Paypal account and move.

      Just kidding, but I would definitely be all over UPS about the missing 2 wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

    12. Member nm+'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2006
      Location
      Land of Bro-Dozer Ya Yas
      Posts
      19,744
      Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-09-2012 04:39 PM #37
      I'm pretty sure it is on the seller unless you explicitly offered to buy insurance for an extra charge, and he declined.

      Think about it this way: If you order something from Amazon, and it doesn't get here, who do you expect to eat the cost? Amazon. Insurance protects the seller, not the buyer.


      And for those screaming scam: OP states he tracked them and the two wheels were listed as not delivered.

      You should, however, go after UPS for whatever you can get.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

    13. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      24,148
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      10-09-2012 04:40 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      The point you all are missing is this... Yes, UPS is responsible for the lost package, but UPS is responsible ONLY to the shipper. They are not responsible to PayPal or the buyer, neither of those entities have any recourse with UPS, as they are not UPS's customer. Only the shipper can recover anything from UPS.
      dont think everyone is missing this.

      but getting UPS to cover the loss when no insurance was purchased is going to be a problem.

      also. even once... IF... UPS owns up and covers the loss, that has NOTHING to do with taking care of the paypal claim.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache - Bing Rewards

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,672
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-09-2012 04:40 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      The buyer should have requested insurance. It sucks for him, but that's the reality.

      As the seller, this is not your fault.
      False. As stated, seller is responsible for recouping from claim if the items are lost or damaged while shipping. It's your responsibility to cover your own ass. Either add the charge in the shipping cost, eat it from your item cost, or don't ship. It's that simple and it's the seller's fault for not covering their own ass.

      I feel like a broken record in a large echoing room.

    15. Banned jrmcm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2001
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      5,566
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 04:40 PM #40
      Bottom line, you have to refund this guy's money and then take it up with UPS to recover your cost/property.

    16. Banned jrmcm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2001
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      5,566
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 04:41 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      dont think everyone is missing this.

      but getting UPS to cover the loss when no insurance was purchased is going to be a problem.

      also. even once... IF... UPS owns up and covers the loss, that has NOTHING to do with taking care of the paypal claim.
      How is any of this the problem/fault/liability of the buyer?

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,672
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-09-2012 04:43 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      I'm pretty sure it is on the seller unless you explicitly offered to buy insurance for an extra charge, and he declined.
      Even then Pay Pal does not care that the seller declined to purchase insurance for a package they shipped.

      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      also. even once... IF... UPS owns up and covers the loss, that has NOTHING to do with taking care of the paypal claim.
      Yes it does. Refund the money after getting what items back you can from the buyer. You can't expect someone to pay for a screwed up order. File a claim and receive monetary compensation. Everything is resolved.

    18. Member Burnin8r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2003
      Location
      NY NJ PA
      Posts
      2,935
      Vehicles
      2014 FIAT 500 Abarth
      10-09-2012 04:43 PM #43
      F yo wheelz

    19. Member 91B3DUB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2010
      Location
      RDU
      Posts
      1,378
      Vehicles
      91 B3 passat VR6, 92 mk2 VR6
      10-09-2012 04:47 PM #44
      Buyer is 100% scamming you.

      If you supplied the buyer with tracking info, then it's on ups, not you, to resolve this. It's the dumbass buyers fault for not opting for insurance. He did that on purpose to scam you. Insurance is cheap, so no excuse. As soon as you handed the product over to ups, it's on them to deliver. I tell this to anyone buying from me. As soon as it leaves my hands (as by providing tracking info to buyer as proof) I'm resolved of all responsibility

      UPS still insures items (each ) up to 100 bucks. that is even if you opt to not get the insurance because it is intheir care and the insurance is for anything over 100.00 which protects you and the buyer in case of mishap. Seller you should file your claim with UPS and once they get back with you with the amount that you will receive pass that along to the seller or just reimburse him and take your cash. Either or the buyer has to wait for them to resolve the matter with you. I have had things lost and i worked for UPS and FedEx. to be honest most of the things are not left at the wrong address they are stolen by employees or some middle man who sees the items some how whether its a trucking company or inside job. only high dollar items go missing most of the time unless something is damaged or just out of a box and no verification is there to help track the package definitely go to UPS and demand they refund you.
      pushindubssince'89
      Quote Originally Posted by mkIIgli View Post
      This still available? Interested in a trade for a matco toolbox?

    20. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      31,264
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-09-2012 04:51 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by wowitsgaston View Post
      well i checked the status on the 2 lost wheels, and apparently one was out for delivery in anaheim, CA and the other never left ontario, CA (both socal cities)

      he's location in northern CA
      To the posters saying the buyer is a scammer- UPS lost the wheels, how does that make the buyer a scammer?
      iain

    21. Banned jrmcm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2001
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      5,566
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 04:52 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by 91B3DUB View Post
      Buyer is 100% scamming you.

      If you supplied the buyer with tracking info, then it's on ups, not you, to resolve this. It's the dumbass buyers fault for not opting for insurance. He did that on purpose to scam you. Insurance is cheap, so no excuse. As soon as you handed the product over to ups, it's on them to deliver. I tell this to anyone buying from me. As soon as it leaves my hands (as by providing tracking info to buyer as proof) I'm resolved of all responsibility

      UPS still insures items (each ) up to 100 bucks. that is even if you opt to not get the insurance because it is intheir care and the insurance is for anything over 100.00 which protects you and the buyer in case of mishap. Seller you should file your claim with UPS and once they get back with you with the amount that you will receive pass that along to the seller or just reimburse him and take your cash. Either or the buyer has to wait for them to resolve the matter with you. I have had things lost and i worked for UPS and FedEx. to be honest most of the things are not left at the wrong address they are stolen by employees or some middle man who sees the items some how whether its a trucking company or inside job. only high dollar items go missing most of the time unless something is damaged or just out of a box and no verification is there to help track the package definitely go to UPS and demand they refund you.
      For the 100th f-ing time, the buyer has no recourse with UPS.

    22. Member nm+'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2006
      Location
      Land of Bro-Dozer Ya Yas
      Posts
      19,744
      Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-09-2012 04:53 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by 91B3DUB View Post
      Buyer is 100% scamming you.
      I see you missed this:
      Quote Originally Posted by wowitsgaston View Post
      well i checked the status on the 2 lost wheels, and apparently one was out for delivery in anaheim, CA and the other never left ontario, CA (both socal cities)

      he's location in northern CA
      I can almost promise you that OP didn't offer insurance. He just said shipped without noting insurance or lack of insurance. Buyer contracted for the wheels at his address within a reasonable time. Seller didn't deliver because the company he chose didn't do the job right. It is between the seller and UPS. Buyer gets his money back.

      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      To the posters saying the buyer is a scammer- UPS lost the wheels, how does that make the buyer a scammer?
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

    23. Banned jrmcm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2001
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      5,566
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 04:53 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      To the posters saying the buyer is a scammer- UPS lost the wheels, how does that make the buyer a scammer?
      Because of course there is NO WAY that UPS would ever actually lose a package

    24. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      31,264
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-09-2012 04:56 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      Because of course there is NO WAY that UPS would ever actually lose a package
      So you're suggesting that scammers make a bunch of purchases through eBay and just pray that UPS will lose the package so they can scam the seller? I take it the packages they receive, and can't scam the seller out of, they just accept as the price of doing business?

      Give me a break.

    25. Senior Member abeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2002
      Location
      Joe's Garage / Chicago
      Posts
      24,448
      Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      10-09-2012 04:56 PM #50
      moral of the story

      if you ship wheels that are worth more than what they are insured for by the carrier ( in this case $100 or or $200 or whatever )
      be prepared to pay to play when they are lost / stolen / damaged.



      if OP had the insurance he would be ok.. in this instance he will get the minimal $$ from UPS.. and have to pay the buyer.


      s#it happens.
      WITW

    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •