Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PayPal claim filed against me. What to do?

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-09-2012 06:35 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      Again, good luck with that.
      If I was a buyer and you pulled that kinda crap on me, my next call would be to my attorney, and you'd be issuing me a refund with a quickness.
      I think he's well within his rights to wait until he gets confirmation that the other 2 wheels have been dropped off for shipping.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 06:38 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      I think he's well within his rights to wait until he gets confirmation that the other 2 wheels have been dropped off for shipping.
      That wasn't how I took what he was saying. My take was that if he were the seller in this case, he would not offer a refund to the buyer until he had resolved the claim with UPS.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:40 PM #103
      That wasn't how I took what he was saying. My take was that if he were the seller in this case, he would not offer a refund to the buyer until he had resolved the claim with UPS.
      Oh yeah. **** that. His dispute with UPS has nothing to do with buyer.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      10-09-2012 06:41 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by mike02467 View Post
      IDK man, I feel like they probably have more losses leaving packages on porches and in vestibules than the drivers ****ing up and going to the wrong address.
      I'd be curious what the actual theft rate is on UPS, Fed Ex, etc. I thought I had heard years ago that it was pretty high. Especially for drivers - all they have to do is drive to an address, scan the package into their system, and then drive off with it. As far as their computer system is concerned, the package was delivered because it was scanned. The fact that the driver never actually dropped it on the porch would not generally be known. I could imagine something like having a secondary vehicle parked along your route (or something similar) where you could drop the packages that you wanted to keep, who would know? GPS tracking on the truck would show you were on your route, the company computer system says it was delivered, and unless someone actually had video of you never showing up (which yes, I know, does seem to be becoming more popular nowadays), who would know? It's the buyer's word against the shipping company's computer system basically. The seller would rely on their tracking to show that it was delivered, they'd never know if it was actually stolen or not. Just sayin'......Anyone on here work or ever work for the major companies?

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:43 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      I'd be curious what the actual theft rate is on UPS, Fed Ex, etc. I thought I had heard years ago that it was pretty high. Especially for drivers - all they have to do is drive to an address, scan the package into their system, and then drive off with it. As far as their computer system is concerned, the package was delivered because it was scanned. The fact that the driver never actually dropped it on the porch would not generally be known. I could imagine something like having a secondary vehicle parked along your route (or something similar) where you could drop the packages that you wanted to keep, who would know? GPS tracking on the truck would show you were on your route, the company computer system says it was delivered, and unless someone actually had video of you never showing up (which yes, I know, does seem to be becoming more popular nowadays), who would know? It's the buyer's word against the shipping company's computer system basically. The seller would rely on their tracking to show that it was delivered, they'd never know if it was actually stolen or not. Just sayin'......Anyone on here work or ever work for the major companies?
      My understanding is that most of the loss comes at the processing centers, not at the driver's end. It would be much easier to track driver's loss as it is checked out on the truck. One package would be a fluke, but enough to make it profitable would raise serious red flags.

10-09-2012 06:45 PM #106
      Again, good luck with that.
      If I was a buyer and you pulled that kinda crap on me, my next call would be to my attorney, and you'd be issuing me a refund with a quickness.
      No I would not.

Here is how the "scam" plays out.

Seller sells the wheels
      Scammer reports that he only got 2
      Seller reports a claim to UPS
      Scammer reports a claim to paypal
      Seller refunds the money
      Scammer collects the money
      Sellers claim with UPS is resolved with the wheels being delivered to the person.

So in this situation, the buyer/scammer would get 4 wheels and 1/2 his money back.

What Gaston SHOULD do, in my opinion, is file the claim, BUT ALSO TELL UPS THAT IF THE PACKAGE IS FOUND TO RETURN IT TO YOU AND NOT TO SEND IT TO THE BUYER

The default method is to ship it to the destination. I do believe UPS will charge you for the shipping to your residence/work, but its better than losing all the money.
      Last edited by phil123; 10-09-2012 at 06:48 PM.
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:45 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post

How many packages go missing on a particular driver's route before someone starts noticing?

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:47 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post
      No I would not.

Seller sells the wheels
      Seller refunds the money
      Sellers claim with UPS is resolved with the wheels being delivered to the person.

So in this situation, the buyer/scammer would get 4 wheels and 1/2 his money back.

What Gaston SHOULD do, in my opinion, is file the claim, BUT ALSO TELL UPS THAT IF THE PACKAGE IS FOUND TO RETURN IT TO YOU AND NOT TO SEND IT TO THE SHIPPER

The default method is to ship it to the destination. I do believe UPS will charge you for the shipping to your residence/work, but its better than losing all the money.
      Wow, no. Once the seller began the claim with UPS and issued the refund, if and when the wheels were found they would be returned to the seller. If UPS ended up sending the wheels the buyer at the conclusion of that, the seller would be notified and would then have recourse against the buyer for the property or the amount refunded. You apparently have a 6 years old's understanding of consumer transactions.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:49 PM #109
      No I would not.

Seller sells the wheels
      Seller refunds the money

What Gaston SHOULD do, in my opinion, is file the claim, BUT ALSO TELL UPS THAT IF THE PACKAGE IS FOUND TO RETURN IT TO YOU AND NOT TO SEND IT TO THE SHIPPER

Uhm, UPS says the wheels haven't been delivered. They are lost in the system. Barring a massive glitch in UPS that the buyer would have no control over, no one disputes that they weren't delivered. Barring the possible unfounded claim about OP being uncommunicative, buyer is the most innocent party here.
      ---
      Somewhere, possibly on TCL, there is another thread where the buyer is bitching that OP scammed him, send him 2 of 4 wheels and won't give him the money back. And because in that community, OP is a member, a part of the club, everyone is rallying support around him. And that amuses the **** out of me.

10-09-2012 06:50 PM #110
      Wow, no. Once the seller began the claim with UPS and issued the refund, if and when the wheels were found they would be returned to the seller. If UPS ended up sending the wheels the buyer at the conclusion of that, the seller would be notified and would then have recourse against the buyer for the property or the amount refunded. You apparently have a 6 years old's understanding of consumer transactions.
      Have you actually gone through the process or are you just talking out your ass?

This happened about 6 months ago with a steering wheel that I shipped.

I did EXACTLY what I said and had it handled in a much more timely situation than what you are saying.
      A2Resource |

Vehicles
      FiST / ST3
      10-09-2012 06:50 PM #111
      Hence why I make people pay me as a "gift" = no claims process

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:52 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      You know that is one of the biggest scam flags out there?

10-09-2012 06:52 PM #113
      Uhm, UPS says the wheels haven't been delivered. They are lost in the system. Barring a massive glitch in UPS that the buyer would have no control over, no one disputes that they weren't delivered. Barring the possible unfounded claim about OP being uncommunicative, buyer is the most innocent party here.
      If Gaston has told UPS to return the wheels to him if found I have no issues with him issuing the person a refund.
      A2Resource |

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      10-09-2012 06:53 PM #114
      No I would not.

Seller sells the wheels
      Scammer? Really? The BUYER did not recieve all 4 wheels which he PAID for. How is he a Scammer? get real.

Vehicles
      FiST / ST3
      10-09-2012 06:53 PM #115
      You know that is one of the biggest scam flags out there?
      I just sold about ten different transactions all paid as gifts. With good contact, they couldn't care less.

10-09-2012 06:53 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post
      Scammer? Really? The BUYER did not recieve all 4 wheels which he PAID for. How is he a Scammer? get real.
      if he was running a scam...
      A2Resource |

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:54 PM #117
      If Gaston has told UPS to return the wheels to him if found I have no issues with him issuing the person a refund.
      I was assuming he's not a moron, and he did that.

10-09-2012 06:55 PM #118
      I was assuming he's not a moron, and he did that.
      He did post on the car lounge on what he should do...

j/k, i'm sure i've met Gaston and just giving him some sh!t
      A2Resource |

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      10-09-2012 06:58 PM #119
      Yeeeeah, don't do that.

If Paypal see you are accepting payment for goods under the gift option they will try to **** you so hard it's not even funny.

They make it so miserable that there are actually forums out there dedicated to dealing with this issue.

Vehicles
      FiST / ST3
      10-09-2012 06:59 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Yeeeeah, don't do that.

If Paypal see you are accepting payment for goods under the gift option they will try to **** you so hard it's not even funny.

They make it so miserable that there are actually forums out there dedicated to dealing with this issue.

Seriously?

I've only done it about 40 times and not very frequently.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:59 PM #121
      Have you actually gone through the process or are you just talking out your ass?

This happened about 6 months ago with a steering wheel that I shipped.

I did EXACTLY what I said and had it handled in a much more timely situation than what you are saying.
      Once a buyer/consumer requests and receives a refund for a purchased item never received, he forfeits any right to the item in question. Now, can the consumer still steal it? Possibly. But the threat of someone stealing from you does not give you the right to improperly withhold a refund for products never delivered.
      If you as a seller file a claim with UPS for a lost item for which you have refunded the buyer, the package or compensation will be sent to you the seller upon resolution of the claim, not the buyer. Any shipment of the goods to the buyer at that point would have occurred in error and you would have legal recourse to have the property or cash equivalent returned to you by the buyer.
      There is a correct way to conduct business, and a shady/internet/mom's basement way to conduct business. You apparently prefer the latter.
      Last edited by jrmcm; 10-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 07:00 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Yeeeeah, don't do that.

That too. Even with legit gifts, they will freeze your account pretty quick if you have any volume.
      Note that if I do a PP with a credit card (via gift or other), I can cancel that transaction and PP will probably **** you even harder than they would through dispute resolution.

Seriously?

I've only done it about 40 times and not very frequently.
      Yes, talk to somethingawful about their Katrina donations. And that was real gifts.

10-09-2012 07:04 PM #123
      Once a buyer/consumer requests and receives a refund for a purchased item never received, he forfeits any right to the item in question. Now, can the consumer still steal it? Possibly. But the threat of someone stealing from you does not give you the right to improperly withhold a refund for products never delivered.
      If you as a seller file a claim with UPS for a lost item for which you have refunded the buyer, the package or compensation will be sent to you the seller upon resolution of the claim, not the buyer. Any shipment of the goods to the buyer at that point would have occurred in error and you would have legal recourse to have the property or cash equivalent returned to you by the buyer.
      There is a correct way to conduct business, and a shady/internet/mom's basement way to conduct business. You apparently prefer the latter.
      I have bolded the incorrect portion. The package, if found, will be sent to the buyer, UNLESS you tell UPS to ship the package back to you.

And your assumptions are not correct.
      A2Resource |

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 07:06 PM #124
      I have bolded the incorrect portion.

And your assumptions are not correct.
      Yes they are. Any shipment of the goods to the buyer at that point is in error (I'm not saying it doesn't happen). If it is shipped to the buyer, you would be notified, and would then have recourse with the buyer to collect YOUR property or money.

10-09-2012 07:09 PM #125
      Yes they are. Any shipment of the goods to the buyer at that point is in error (I'm not saying it doesn't happen). If it is shipped to the buyer, you would be notified, and would then have recourse with the buyer to collect YOUR property or money.
      Yes, and at what point is it not worth it?
      A2Resource |

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast