Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: PayPal claim filed against me. What to do?

10-09-2012 08:28 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by wowitsgaston View Post
      The claim filed with UPS has been closed, and the wheels are officially lost. UPS sent a check to the UPS store where I shipped them from, and it should be ready for me in the following day or 2. The problem is that it is only $100/package, and we all know that RS's are not $100 wheels.
      That sucks.
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-09-2012 08:34 PM #142
      The claim filed with UPS has been closed, and the wheels are officially lost. UPS sent a check to the UPS store where I shipped them from, and it should be ready for me in the following day or 2. The problem is that it is only $100/package, and we all know that RS's are not $100 wheels.
      Don't want to rub it in or beat a dead horse... but damn, you didn't insure $2K+ worth of product?

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      10-09-2012 08:41 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      Don't want to rub it in or beat a dead horse... but damn, you didn't insure $2K+ worth of product?
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-09-2012 08:42 PM #144
      What value did you declare on the shipping form, out of curiosity?

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-09-2012 08:48 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      Yeah, this. Because you might have a recourse if you declared a higher value (but they also charge you more).
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      VW
      10-09-2012 08:49 PM #146
      My personal preference would be to arrange to have the two wheels he did receive shipped back to me and issue a refund for all 4. That way if I ever recovered the lost two, I'd have the full set, which would be easier to sell. As for the timing of the refund. It's basically just another sale transaction, him selling me back the wheels at the original price. Go through paypal again, and I'd have the same rights he did if I sent him the money and I never received the wheels.
      I would issue a full refund AFTER I receive my 2 wheels. Just in case.
      Other business also wait for item to be received before issuing a refund.

Sucks for OP, but I'm not crying over a set of RS s.lol
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

10-09-2012 08:49 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      $1600 or less. Learn to search newb.
      A2Resource |

Vehicles
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      10-09-2012 08:49 PM #148
      OP is the biggest dumbsh1t ever.

Here's the rules:

- Signature confirmation required on $250 and up or the buyer instantly wins. I always tell the buyer and most of the time they're like no, I can't be at home and I'm like oh okay I'll waive and and send it signature required anyways LOL What do I care about their life, I already have their money (sad, but true )

- UPS/FedEx and USPS EMS (EMS ONLY) give you $100 free, it's up to you to purchase any additional amount. UPS doesn't know that you didn't ship Rotas nor are they going to listen to you yabber about lightweight forged alloy wheels.

- Always insure your stuff. You just learned perhaps the most expensive lesson of your life. Suck it up, don't let it hurt your butt too long and moveeeeeee on.

- Don't trust anyone. Not shipping carriers, not your customers, not your mom I'm talking fcuking no one. Trust yourself only.

Now OP is out the money, the wheels and his pride while dickface in NorCal has two wheels for free. He's not going to ship them back and PayPal is going to give him a full refund.

10-09-2012 08:54 PM #149
      So do we have any international shipping experts?

Will USPS insure you to other countries? I generally ship UPS, about 98% of the time.
      A2Resource |

Vehicles
      '12 Impreza, '10 Forester, '09 Matchbox Unimog
      10-09-2012 08:58 PM #150
      my two cents:
      • ebay/paypal enforce a system whereby the seller has to act like a good business does, under the notion that the customer is always right. people don't always realize the overhead and care that's required to live up to this standard. I'm not saying OP had any bad intentions (and he seems to fully accept the state of things), but these rules do their best to marginalize people acting as if a sale is a casual thing.
      • don't conduct any communications outside of the ebay mail system.
      Not an enthusiast.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-09-2012 08:58 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post

Will USPS insure you to other countries? I generally ship UPS, about 98% of the time.
      Yes, USPS will. So will fedex.
      I would not UPS internationally. They suck with clearing customs. I would use Fedex is there is anything complex (For example, when I lived in the UK, I was VAT and duty exempt. Fedex could figure that out. UPS never did and kept asking for money, which I eventually paid and had to have refunded to get my ****)
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      10-09-2012 09:01 PM #152

Yes. It's expensive but, yes. I have EMS packages from China and India sent with insurance all the time because people in customs ISC NY are dicks.

All I do is ship packages and I use PayPal and Google Checkout EVERYDAY.

13. 10-09-2012 10:11 PM #153
      PAY
      Paypal will process the claim in favor of the buyer

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      10-09-2012 11:33 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Eh, they lose a lot fewer than you think. That said, a decent reason to go signature required.

I do like that fedex will now just deliver to the nearest Kinkos. Much easier and safer.
      I agree it might be a good idea in general but I don't see how "signature required" or "delivery to the nearest Kinkos" would have made any difference in this case. UPS admits the package didn't get to the Buyer so without insurance what difference would it have made? Further proof they didn't get delivered?

I am still surprised people think the Buyer was part of a scam when UPS admits two wheels didn't get there. Maybe the Buyer and UPS are both part of the scam?

Vehicles
      VW
      10-09-2012 11:35 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      I agree it might be a good idea in general but I don't see how "signature required" or "delivery to the nearest Kinkos" would have made any difference in this case. UPS admits the package didn't get to the Buyer so without insurance what difference would it have made? Further proof they didn't get delivered?

I am still surprised people think the Buyer was part of a scam when UPS admits two wheels didn't get there. Maybe the Buyer and UPS are both part of the scam?
      As far as we know the buyer might work for UPS.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-10-2012 01:05 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post

A signature requirement wouldn't have helped in this case, but in general it can be a good idea to limit the possibility for a buyer to scam the seller.

Vehicles
      99.5 Golf R.I.P / 01 Jetta VR6 / 85 Golf Diesel
      10-10-2012 01:07 AM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny4cyl View Post
      OP is the biggest dumbsh1t ever.

Here's the rules:

- Signature confirmation required on $250 and up or the buyer instantly wins. I always tell the buyer and most of the time they're like no, I can't be at home and I'm like oh okay I'll waive and and send it signature required anyways LOL What do I care about their life, I already have their money (sad, but true )

- UPS/FedEx and USPS EMS (EMS ONLY) give you $100 free, it's up to you to purchase any additional amount. UPS doesn't know that you didn't ship Rotas nor are they going to listen to you yabber about lightweight forged alloy wheels.

- Always insure your stuff. You just learned perhaps the most expensive lesson of your life. Suck it up, don't let it hurt your butt too long and moveeeeeee on.

- Don't trust anyone. Not shipping carriers, not your customers, not your mom I'm talking fcuking no one. Trust yourself only.

Now OP is out the money, the wheels and his pride while dickface in NorCal has two wheels for free. He's not going to ship them back and PayPal is going to give him a full refund.
      you're so kind lol when i talked to the paypal rep earlier today, she said that they buyer is required to return the 2 wheels, and then i issue a refund (if the claim settles in his favor). is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      I would issue a full refund AFTER I receive my 2 wheels. Just in case.
      Other business also wait for item to be received before issuing a refund.

Sucks for OP, but I'm not crying over a set of RS s.lol
      yes. it does suck

i honestly don't remember
      ۟roJerks

Let's help Colin!

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme, '96 Legacy Outback
      10-10-2012 01:09 AM #158

If you ship USPS Priority, you will get a certain amount of insurance included, and you can pay extra to insure it for a higher value. I've never had to deal with claiming anything yet thankfully, so I don't know how hard it is to collect on it. I know I sent 2 steering wheels worth over $350 to Brazil last month and insured the crap out of them. In all my years, I had maybe 2 cheap items that were shipped first class international go missing permanently, which I just ate. I've probably sent well over 100 things Priority mail all over the world and never lost one. Sometimes things take longer than usual to arrive but they always get there. Granted, it's only smaller auto parts, not extremely fragile or theft-prone items.

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme, '96 Legacy Outback
      10-10-2012 01:15 AM #159
      you're so kind lol when i talked to the paypal rep earlier today, she said that they buyer is required to return the 2 wheels, and then i issue a refund (if the claim settles in his favor). is this true?

yes. it does suck

i honestly don't remember
      Yes. He is responsible for shipping them back to you on his dime before PayPal will refund him in that case. That means he'll have to provide tracking and such. It's courteous to refund the return shipping costs if it wasn't the buyer's error, but neither eBay or PayPal force that, so that's up to the seller. I just ate $50 to return 4 "square" BBS RA that the eBay seller/Vortex member described as having no bends, and then had the nerve to blame me for not asking for extra pictures before I bought them. Then he relisted them, simply removing the part about there not being bends. Needless to say, I gave him every chance in the world to make good, but had to leave my first negative ever.

10-10-2012 01:32 AM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by jettagli1991 View Post
      If you ship USPS Priority, you will get a certain amount of insurance included, and you can pay extra to insure it for a higher value. I've never had to deal with claiming anything yet thankfully, so I don't know how hard it is to collect on it. I know I sent 2 steering wheels worth over $350 to Brazil last month and insured the crap out of them. In all my years, I had maybe 2 cheap items that were shipped first class international go missing permanently, which I just ate. I've probably sent well over 100 things Priority mail all over the world and never lost one. Sometimes things take longer than usual to arrive but they always get there. Granted, it's only smaller auto parts, not extremely fragile or theft-prone items.
      Basically the short story is that i'm shipping a set of really expensive/rare wheels to mexico and well, i'm somewhat concerned about them getting "lost".
      A2Resource |

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345