Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What can cause a hole or crack in an engine block?

1. 10-09-2012 09:14 PM #1
      My friend has a rsx and recently his engine block has cracked or got a hole in it. The car is completely stock with 100k miles on it. The weather is pretty warm so i don't think that caused it. Just wondering other ways that it can happen.

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      10-09-2012 09:18 PM #2
      Pretty odd if you ask me. I'd say a casting flaw if anything, as Honda seems to be the only one that can make an aluminum block that isn't junk.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t GTI (dead) 337 (being built)
      10-09-2012 09:22 PM #3
      I'm confused, did you ask anything about a 1.8 motor or volkswagen at all in there somewhere?

4. 10-10-2012 01:22 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by zrau17 View Post
      I'm confused, did you ask anything about a 1.8 motor or volkswagen at all in there somewhere?
      I knew someone would come in here saying something like this.... the rsx and and little story is just a little story behind my question. I am ASKING what can cause this to happen to the block. This MEANS.... that i am asking about the block not about a certain CAR.... So stop acting like an ass and answer the question if you would like.

5. 10-10-2012 01:24 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
      Pretty odd if you ask me. I'd say a casting flaw if anything, as Honda seems to be the only one that can make an aluminum block that isn't junk.
      Mind explaining what the casting is? And could revving the past redline all the time cause anything like this? B/c i could see this kid doing it all the time. I know the dealer is happy the got rid of the car....

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      10-10-2012 03:44 AM #6
      pretty sure a .50 BMG will make short work of an engine block
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      2010 WRX STi, 2002 Mustang GT (Kenne Bell S/C), 2002 GTI 1.8T (sold)
      10-10-2012 08:26 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      My friend has a rsx and recently his engine block has cracked or got a hole in it. The car is completely stock with 100k miles on it. The weather is pretty warm so i don't think that caused it. Just wondering other ways that it can happen.
      The most common cause of windowing a block is a connecting rod failure. On normally aspirated engines this almost always happens because of high RPM abuse (e.g. the sort of high RPM that results from downshifting from 5th to 2nd on the highway...)

Vehicles
      Nevar Lose!
      10-10-2012 09:30 AM #8
      The Honda R18 engine in 06-07 Civics had issues with cracked blocks due to either poor design or a manufacturing defect. However, the RSX should have a K series engine and those are pretty well proven engines, so most likely the damage was the result of high rpm abuse as was stated in the previous post.
      A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned. -Shepherd Book "Firefly"

Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      10-10-2012 12:11 PM #9
      Honda motors are pretty stout in stock form. It really surprises me that it cracked/windowed. Maybe he overheated it, and some water got on it. Yes, it's a stretch, but possible I guess (probably not). I've seen a Honda block with spiderweb cracks on it, but that was a b16 that had 32 psi on a stock bottom end (waste gate stuck closed on a 20g Mitsu turbo). The rod broke and slapped the side of the block.

I think I'd be pulling the block and tearing into it to find out exactly what happened. They're made for high RPMs, and stock it shouldn't have been able to over rev, as stock Honda tuning is very conservative, with a lot of room for error. If he chipped it, or bumped the rev limiter on it somehow to stay in vtec longer, that would do it. Something may have come loose, or a casting error somewhere during manufacturing. It's odd either way.
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 1988 F-150 (Still don't know why I like this truck...)

10. 10-10-2012 05:51 PM #10
      This thread is epic failure and should be removed. People bitch all the time if a tranny question or something comes up. You could say...."my 1.8t has a tranny too"... This isn't a honda forum. You should use google and keep this crap out of here.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 05:54 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      This thread is epic failure and should be removed. People bitch all the time if a tranny question or something comes up. You could say...."my 1.8t has a tranny too"... This isn't a honda forum. You should use google and keep this crap out of here.

I Honda Doe...
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

12. 10-10-2012 07:28 PM #12
      i agree, with the NON-1.8T_VAG content.

my VAG 1.9T 20v block windowed because i missed a gear, spun 11,495 rpm, and stretched rod bolts.

so, it is time.

CLEAN UP ON AISLE 27 please.

13. 10-10-2012 07:28 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      How do you expect us to even venture a guess with so little presented info on an engine we collectively know so little or nothing about?

14. 10-10-2012 07:59 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post

I Honda Doe...
      ...I know...I know...

Quote Originally Posted by speeding-g6O View Post
      i agree, with the NON-1.8T_VAG content.

my VAG 1.9T 20v block windowed because i missed a gear, spun 11,495 rpm, and stretched rod bolts.

so, it is time.

CLEAN UP ON AISLE 27 please.
      LOL...

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 08:16 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      ...I know...I know...

LOL...

16. 10-10-2012 09:32 PM #17

Vehicles
      A few...
      10-10-2012 09:51 PM #18
      and this...
      Project GTi-R:. '04 R32 Chassis w/ 1.8t transplant in the werks
      '01 Audi TTQ Roadster: QED motor, Pag 35R vband, spec twin, enormous amount of go fast
      '03 GTI: Gutted, Parted & Transplanted
      '04 F250 6.0: 72mm turbo, 60 psi stupid fast for 8k lbs, sold to ejg3855
      '13 F150 Ecoboost: Ordered, Rec'd, Triple Black, Tow Truck for other Vehicles.

18. 10-10-2012 10:21 PM #19
      perhaps, OP, you should beg a MOD to delete this thread and start over if you want to ask this question here.

VW and Honda are inherently two entirely different motors. sure, they have pistons, and rods, and a crank, etc.

but what in the MF would make you think to ask a bunch of VW/Audi (further referenced as VAG) guys a Honda motor question?

84% of these guys are still struggling with VAG stuff, much less cross-branding. and at the VERY LEAST, 60% of them still cant get it right that this is the forum for VAG 1.8T/20v questions ONLY!

but, as stated, you can be a lesser man, and beg a MOD to 'hole this for you to save you the embarrassment and shame. one such a thread just got this treatment last week, OP'd by a Criminal Defense Attorney (BFD big words) who couldnt take the abuse he was getting in return for all of the abuse he had been putting out to the rest of the forum as of late.

Richard, that is YOU!!!! AKA VOKotex user "formerly silveratljetta"

Vehicles
      A few...
      10-10-2012 10:40 PM #20

but, as stated, you can be a lesser man, and beg a MOD to 'hole this for you to save you the embarrassment and shame. one such a thread just got this treatment last week, OP'd by a Criminal Defense Attorney (BFD big words) who couldnt take the abuse he was getting in return for all of the abuse he had been putting out to the rest of the forum as of late.

Project GTi-R:. '04 R32 Chassis w/ 1.8t transplant in the werks
      '01 Audi TTQ Roadster: QED motor, Pag 35R vband, spec twin, enormous amount of go fast
      '03 GTI: Gutted, Parted & Transplanted
      '04 F250 6.0: 72mm turbo, 60 psi stupid fast for 8k lbs, sold to ejg3855
      '13 F150 Ecoboost: Ordered, Rec'd, Triple Black, Tow Truck for other Vehicles.

20. 10-11-2012 06:11 AM #21
      That video is hilarious!!

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 08:18 AM #22
      thats funnnnnyyyy!

I still my Honda doe

perhaps, OP, you should beg a MOD to delete this thread and start over if you want to ask this question here.

VW and Honda are inherently two entirely different motors. sure, they have pistons, and rods, and a crank, etc.

but what in the MF would make you think to ask a bunch of VW/Audi (further referenced as VAG) guys a Honda motor question?

84% of these guys are still struggling with VAG stuff, much less cross-branding. and at the VERY LEAST, 60% of them still cant get it right that this is the forum for VAG 1.8T/20v questions ONLY!