Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette fail video - Is it really that hard to keep it going straight ?

Vehicles
      Forester - Z06
      10-09-2012 09:47 PM #1
      As some of you know I just picked up a Z06 as a track toy so naturally I'm checking out track/autox videos on youtube and came across this vette fail compilation. Not exactly what I wanted to see but figured it would be good to watch so I can see how a vette looses it and perhaps learn from it. I have to say, coming from the Subaru camp I'm amazed at how fast these things seem to spin out of control. I know its a whole different world going from 250-350hp through AWD to 400+ RWD but I have a hard time believing what I'm seeing with some of these clips. Obvioulsy the car isn't that hard to drive or else they'd all be wrecks by now. Think most of this is a result of driving on cold/cheap/worn tires, traction control being turned off / completely inexperienced drivers mashing the loud pedal instead of easing into it ?

The first video with the white C6 really gets me, he's driving clean overall, looks calm and collected then gets into the slalom and the car just slides out like its on snow. Wow ! And some of the street hooliganism vids, even at highway speeds some of the cars fishtail the just loose it. I'm not worried as I don't plan on driving like an idiot but I"m curious since I have little seat time, can they be that tricky to drive ?

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-09-2012 09:51 PM #2
      That first one wasn't really a straight line thing. That is a lot with lots of loose gravel (I've Axed there) with basically no run off.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      It's 6 cylinder, RWD, and purple.
      10-09-2012 09:52 PM #3
      You'd be surprised. There was a thread yesterday dedicated to WRC/F1/motorsport crash/death videos.
      Go in that thread and watch some of the stuff there. F1 car will be driving perfectly, litereally a split second later it will be sideways into a wall at 200+ mph.

Ive spun out so many times in Gran Turismo and TDU2 going in a straight line just shifting from 4th to 5th ahah

Edit: Watched the video, some people should at LEAST take their car backroading/autocrossing/ drive in the rain so they can learn how to correct oversteer, BEFORE they decide to gun the throttle halfway out of a corner in open public road lol
      Last edited by RacerrRex; 10-09-2012 at 09:58 PM.
      www.RacerTV.org
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      I think that it is raw enough that at 50% of potential, it would be terrifying enough to be fun. One of those 'you never see the tree that is going to kill you because you are sliding into it backwards' kind of cars.

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      10-09-2012 09:53 PM #4
      I wanted to comment in your other thread how the Forrester would probably be a better handling car but didn't. More appropriate here instead.

Vehicles
      S2000 v3
      10-09-2012 09:57 PM #5
      The C5 is more twitchy, but most of those incidents were caused by hamfisted driving.

╠╬╬╗
      246 R

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      10-09-2012 09:57 PM #6
      I DD'd a C6 for 5 years and drove it in every kind of condition imaginable, heavy rain, light snow, whatever, it was my only car so I had no choice but to drive it in all conditions. I drove it pretty hard too, but I only spun out once, literally my last weekend I had the car I took it to the canyons out in Malibu (Latigo Canyon road for those who are familiar) and spun out. It was dark and I was unfamiliar with the road (I had never driven a road that twisty in my life, period), couldn't see which way the road was turning until it was too late, tried to correct and did a 180. Totally my fault, not the car's. The car is only going to do what you tell it to

They're not hard to drive at all unless you do something dumb
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      10-09-2012 09:58 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      I wanted to comment in your other thread how the Forrester would probably be a better handling car but didn't. More appropriate here instead.
      It's not appropriate anywhere, the Forrester is by no means a better handling car than a C5Z
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      Forester - Z06
      10-09-2012 10:00 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      That is a lot with lots of loose gravel (I've Axed there)
      Ah, I wondered if maybe the lot was dirty/full of marbles.

The Forester handles great BTW, its VERY neutral and typically understeers if pushed too hard into a corner. I did manage to spin it out once when I had my PSI too low in the R comps. I know All things being equal RWD is the better platform on a race track, you don't see many STI's outside of WRC. There are a couple of vettes that autox locally and I've never seen one get squirly. One local guy tracks his C5Z constantly and is incredibly quick corners included, no way my Forester would hang with it regardless of tires. He hasn't had a scarry moment yet this year.
      Last edited by Lexi; 10-09-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Vehicles
      '86 Porsche 928S, '11 F-150 EB, '01 Audi S4
      10-09-2012 10:05 PM #9
      In most of those it looked like the driver got too happy with the throttle, over corrected the skid and then lifted off the gas. This combo will always spin a RWD car. The rear is already loose and lifting upsets the front to rear balance. Add in some engine braking and all traction is gone, at this point momentum takes over and the Vette hits the wall.

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      10-09-2012 10:19 PM #10
      You have much to learn.

Vehicles
      Forester - Z06
      10-09-2012 10:26 PM #11
      Lots to learn, and I plan on doing it safely at autox & track day driving schools. $300-500 driving schools are cheaper than a front end / mangled suspension any day. And best "mod" ever IMO.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      CTS-V
      10-09-2012 10:28 PM #12
      Most of the people that I have dealt with like to think that if they turn off stability and traction control that they are going to be faster. The abilities of the car that you just bought far exceed the skill level of most of the people that drive them and the public in general. I remember when I graduated from FWD imports to RWD V8 domestics having a "come to Jesus" meeting with my car really quick when I thought that I could beat on it and throw it around the way that I used to with my other cars. Pounding this car around on the street from light to light is just about .03% of what the car is capeable of, and the ZO6 specifically is initially so confidence inspiring that people end up driving way past their abilities and then getting bitten.

Vehicles
      97 Golf GL, 10AE Miata
      10-09-2012 10:34 PM #13
      Looked like a lot of lift off oversteer and rough driving.
      Lol at the girls "did you piss him off by recording him?!!"

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta TDI 6MT
      10-09-2012 10:36 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
      In most of those it looked like the driver got too happy with the throttle, over corrected the skid and then lifted off the gas. This combo will always spin a RWD car. The rear is already loose and lifting upsets the front to rear balance. Add in some engine braking and all traction is gone, at this point momentum takes over and the Vette hits the wall.
      This.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb View Post
      Most of the people that I have dealt with like to think that if they turn off stability and traction control that they are going to be faster. The abilities of the car that you just bought far exceed the skill level of most of the people that drive them and the public in general.......the ZO6 specifically is initially so confidence inspiring that people end up driving way past their abilities and then getting bitten.
      This too.
      Last edited by DerSpiegel; 10-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.

15. Banned
      10-09-2012 10:38 PM #15
      This. But it's easier to do in a 'Vette. They aren't easy cars to drive at the limit. It's like Tsuchiya's 1-10 scale. Corvettes are like 1 2 3 4 5 67--10.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337 - 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      10-09-2012 10:46 PM #16
      Seems like a lot of spastic throttle and steering input. If you keep poking and prodding the beast, sooner or later you're going to get horns. The only one that seems is the first one on the autcross course.

Vehicles
      Forester - Z06
      10-09-2012 10:46 PM #17
      That would make sense. So basically if it gets loose stay on the throttle, don't lift and "gently" drive out of it ? Sounds like how the Subaru behaves on snowy roads, once the tail comes out if you lift you'll go backwards into the curb pronto. It may feel counter intuitive but staying on the gas gently will get you back in line.

Most of what I've read on the autox/HPDE sections of the vette forums says to leave traction control on, or at least one mode up so its not constantly braking and upsetting the car but the stability control is still able to save your skin if it gets a bit messy. I plan on starting with all nanny features on and working my way up from there as my skill with the car increases.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-09-2012 10:59 PM #18
      I don't think it's just lift throttle oversteer. The rear LSD can get you, because the loaded wheel will long make the car go in the wrong direction no matter what the steering wheel says.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      10-09-2012 11:00 PM #19
      Back when I had an El Camino with a 383 and automatic transmission it acted the same as in the video in the first post. It would do that when I was lagging along then put my foot into it and it was if the transmission would panic and downshift weird.

The best way to describe it was like at an airport on a moving sidewalk and walking at a good pace then trying not to fall/lose traction at the end once you hit non-moving ground. If you've been on one you'll know what I mean.
      Last edited by unimogken; 10-09-2012 at 11:04 PM.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

20. Member
      10-09-2012 11:04 PM #20
      Great car but the drivers...not so great.
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

21. 10-09-2012 11:10 PM #21
      High powered bikes have taught me this, sometime a lift of the throttle is the worst thing you can do. That said I have owned a few high powered RWD like a 400+ FD that car was very civil until you got it sideways, one it snaps back and you smack your head on the door rail or the car spins. Car control is one of those things you learn. Funny to put a F&F scenario but you learn with time. That is just my .05
      I think you will understand how outstanding AWD is, you with the Forester XT. I have owned a; Supra, FD, Turbo TA, and a big block Skylark. I also had a 400hp VR6 Gti. I still love all my big power AWD cars like a 450+ DSM, UrS6 034 RS2 car more.
      At the track it is a different story then daily driving. Learn slow and in big parking lots. I love hearing F1 guys drive on throttle like an egg... think of your right foot like the hand of God. Push to much and the world ends, do it right and you develop the Garden of Eden.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      10-09-2012 11:14 PM #22
      As mentioned, people getting too happy with the throttle and not knowing what that entails with virtually anything RWD. With my G8, I almost crubbed it trying to show off a couple months after the purchased. Learned my lesson quick.

I hardly EVER turned the traction control off in 3 years of ownership. The only times I did were when trying to keep moving in snow and from a dead stop on dry pavement. In ALL of those accidents, GM's Stabilitrak would have saved the day...sure, it cut power and applied the brakes...but I'd prefer that than the alternative. Plus, the Corvette is plenty quick with Stabilitrak on...I'd be VERY wary of hitting the "fun" button with 400+hp and a manual transmission unless I'd had the necessary training/classes.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      10-09-2012 11:36 PM #23
      ****ty drivers.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

24. 10-10-2012 12:30 AM #24
      I have noticed on my C6 that with cold tires, it seems/feels a lot more likely to want to break the back end loose. Call me a puss, wuss or what have you but I leave the traction control on at all times precisely because I don't want to end up as a youtube video.

I'm in the same boat though, my other car is a Subaru Outback XT, I'm used to driving it on a daily basis for the past 6.5 years now and this car is totally different in every way. I haven't gone to a high performance car school just yet so I'm driving it fairly conservatively for the time being. All in good time though.

I will add though, I think some of this is a combination of a few things. Turn off traction control, showing off, going around a corner and flooring it - I don't expect much good to come of that no matter what badge is on the car. Search around, you'll see Ferrari/Lamborghini/Mustang/etc fail videos as well.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      10-10-2012 12:54 AM #25
      I think the combination of high torque at the lower revs along with the weight balance can make it a bit tricky in these kinds of instances where the car is making hard acceleration from lower speeds. Not so sticky or cold tires compound that problem.

The Corvette is a pretty honest car but at the same time you have to respect the power characteristics and drivetrain at hand.

Vehicles
      2001 Porsche Boxster S
      10-10-2012 02:51 AM #26
      Man I'd love to have a C5

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      ****ty drivers.
      It's no accident that HPDE instructors at Summit Point make fun of Corvette drivers

Vehicles
      E82M & V40 T4 R-Design
      10-10-2012 05:45 AM #27
      Some people treat the throttle pedal like a digital switch on a controller...

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      10-10-2012 08:28 AM #28
      ITT: Average drivers turning off stability control

--

Kids, keep the squiggly tire light off.

Oh, and IMO, just keep SC on until you can drive a car at the limit without engaging the system. For some cars with performance traction systems, like the Corvette, your're going to be going faster with it on than off regardless of skill level because the system actually helps create yaw.
      Contributing editor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC
      10-10-2012 08:33 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      For some cars with performance traction systems, like the Corvette, your're going to be going faster with it on than off regardless of skill level because the system actually helps create yaw.
      No it doesn't. PTM is just a racecar-like traction control system. You can floor it out of corners and let the computer do the work.

My C5 didn't have stability control. It made me learn real quick.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      10-10-2012 08:35 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      No it doesn't. PTM is just a racecar-like traction control system. You can floor it out of corners and let the computer do the work.

My C5 didn't have stability control. It made me learn real quick.
      PTM does yaw control. I've experienced it.

edit: By the way, on my 6MT CTS-V, that's all it does. It needs the auto transmission to do the torque management for corner exits.
      Last edited by curvedinfinity; 10-10-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC
      10-10-2012 08:43 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      PTM does yaw control. I've experienced it.

edit: By the way, on my 6MT CTS-V, that's all it does. It needs the auto transmission to do the torque management for corner exits.
      There's a difference between yaw control and creating yaw though.

32. 10-10-2012 08:45 AM #32
      First lesson learned in that video: DO NOT STAND OUTSIDE A CARS AND COFFEE!

That is mostly sudden on and off throttle applications applied to limited talent. Apply the throttle smoothly, not stomping, remove the same way.

Listen to the master about smoothness:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rpFXdWtK4

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      10-10-2012 09:14 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      There's a difference between yaw control and creating yaw though.
      I'm not 100% on whether it creates yaw, but I have a feeling I've read it and I'm pretty sure I've experienced it.

10-10-2012 09:18 AM #34
      The only opportunity I've ever had to drive a C6, it happened to be February and snowing heavily.

The car was a Grand Sport with bald summer tires. Overall not bad (traction control on!).

I did have to salt the driveway very well and block the wheels so it wouldnt slide out of the driveway into the street when parked.

CorvetteSnowDay-0319 by rrotsaert, on Flickr
      Raven
      92 Corrado VR6t | 93 Corrado SLC | 90 Miata (because racecar)
      DCC - Detroit Corrado Club

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW GTI VR6, 1997 VW Jetta 2.0
      10-10-2012 09:19 AM #35
      That's what happens when people don't know how to handle RWD and that much power
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Yo so I got this xr4ti wit a K04 and a blvda - its hella q4 but I got no 88's wit it so I wanna get BG44K with a iOS5 but since I got no $$ I need to get a GG21 with a GHKLS475 (dats da one wit the turbo, but you knew that) but my girl don't like it and now that I'm in HH for 65 I cant get one in the color I want. What do I do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast