VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Corvette fail video - Is it really that hard to keep it going straight ?

7K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  Preppy 
#1 ·
As some of you know I just picked up a Z06 as a track toy so naturally I'm checking out track/autox videos on youtube and came across this vette fail compilation. Not exactly what I wanted to see but figured it would be good to watch so I can see how a vette looses it and perhaps learn from it. I have to say, coming from the Subaru camp I'm amazed at how fast these things seem to spin out of control. I know its a whole different world going from 250-350hp through AWD to 400+ RWD but I have a hard time believing what I'm seeing with some of these clips. Obvioulsy the car isn't that hard to drive or else they'd all be wrecks by now. Think most of this is a result of driving on cold/cheap/worn tires, traction control being turned off / completely inexperienced drivers mashing the loud pedal instead of easing into it ?

The first video with the white C6 really gets me, he's driving clean overall, looks calm and collected then gets into the slalom and the car just slides out like its on snow. Wow ! And some of the street hooliganism vids, even at highway speeds some of the cars fishtail the just loose it. I'm not worried as I don't plan on driving like an idiot but I"m curious since I have little seat time, can they be that tricky to drive ?

#8 · (Edited)
That is a lot with lots of loose gravel (I've Axed there)
Ah, I wondered if maybe the lot was dirty/full of marbles.

The Forester handles great BTW, its VERY neutral and typically understeers if pushed too hard into a corner. I did manage to spin it out once when I had my PSI too low in the R comps. I know All things being equal RWD is the better platform on a race track, you don't see many STI's outside of WRC. There are a couple of vettes that autox locally and I've never seen one get squirly. One local guy tracks his C5Z constantly and is incredibly quick corners included, no way my Forester would hang with it regardless of tires. He hasn't had a scarry moment yet this year.

#3 · (Edited)
You'd be surprised. There was a thread yesterday dedicated to WRC/F1/motorsport crash/death videos.
Go in that thread and watch some of the stuff there. F1 car will be driving perfectly, litereally a split second later it will be sideways into a wall at 200+ mph.

Ive spun out so many times in Gran Turismo and TDU2 going in a straight line just shifting from 4th to 5th ahah

Edit: Watched the video, some people should at LEAST take their car backroading/autocrossing/ drive in the rain so they can learn how to correct oversteer, BEFORE they decide to gun the throttle halfway out of a corner in open public road lol

#6 ·
I DD'd a C6 for 5 years and drove it in every kind of condition imaginable, heavy rain, light snow, whatever, it was my only car so I had no choice but to drive it in all conditions. I drove it pretty hard too, but I only spun out once, literally my last weekend I had the car I took it to the canyons out in Malibu (Latigo Canyon road for those who are familiar) and spun out. It was dark and I was unfamiliar with the road (I had never driven a road that twisty in my life, period), couldn't see which way the road was turning until it was too late, tried to correct and did a 180. Totally my fault, not the car's. The car is only going to do what you tell it to

They're not hard to drive at all unless you do something dumb

#9 ·
In most of those it looked like the driver got too happy with the throttle, over corrected the skid and then lifted off the gas. This combo will always spin a RWD car. The rear is already loose and lifting upsets the front to rear balance. Add in some engine braking and all traction is gone, at this point momentum takes over and the Vette hits the wall.

#14 · (Edited)
This.

Most of the people that I have dealt with like to think that if they turn off stability and traction control that they are going to be faster. The abilities of the car that you just bought far exceed the skill level of most of the people that drive them and the public in general.......the ZO6 specifically is initially so confidence inspiring that people end up driving way past their abilities and then getting bitten.
This too.

#11 ·
Lots to learn, and I plan on doing it safely at autox & track day driving schools. $300-500 driving schools are cheaper than a front end / mangled suspension any day. And best "mod" ever IMO.

#12 ·
Most of the people that I have dealt with like to think that if they turn off stability and traction control that they are going to be faster. The abilities of the car that you just bought far exceed the skill level of most of the people that drive them and the public in general. I remember when I graduated from FWD imports to RWD V8 domestics having a "come to Jesus" meeting with my car really quick when I thought that I could beat on it and throw it around the way that I used to with my other cars. Pounding this car around on the street from light to light is just about .03% of what the car is capeable of, and the ZO6 specifically is initially so confidence inspiring that people end up driving way past their abilities and then getting bitten.

#18 ·
I don't think it's just lift throttle oversteer. The rear LSD can get you, because the loaded wheel will long make the car go in the wrong direction no matter what the steering wheel says.

#19 · (Edited)
Back when I had an El Camino with a 383 and automatic transmission it acted the same as in the video in the first post. It would do that when I was lagging along then put my foot into it and it was if the transmission would panic and downshift weird.

The best way to describe it was like at an airport on a moving sidewalk and walking at a good pace then trying not to fall/lose traction at the end once you hit non-moving ground. If you've been on one you'll know what I mean.

#21 ·
High powered bikes have taught me this, sometime a lift of the throttle is the worst thing you can do. That said I have owned a few high powered RWD like a 400+ FD that car was very civil until you got it sideways, one it snaps back and you smack your head on the door rail or the car spins. Car control is one of those things you learn. Funny to put a F&F scenario but you learn with time. That is just my .05
I think you will understand how outstanding AWD is, you with the Forester XT. I have owned a; Supra, FD, Turbo TA, and a big block Skylark. I also had a 400hp VR6 Gti. I still love all my big power AWD cars like a 450+ DSM, UrS6 034 RS2 car more.
At the track it is a different story then daily driving. Learn slow and in big parking lots. I love hearing F1 guys drive on throttle like an egg... think of your right foot like the hand of God. Push to much and the world ends, do it right and you develop the Garden of Eden.

#22 ·
As mentioned, people getting too happy with the throttle and not knowing what that entails with virtually anything RWD. With my G8, I almost crubbed it trying to show off a couple months after the purchased. Learned my lesson quick.

I hardly EVER turned the traction control off in 3 years of ownership. The only times I did were when trying to keep moving in snow and from a dead stop on dry pavement. In ALL of those accidents, GM's Stabilitrak would have saved the day...sure, it cut power and applied the brakes...but I'd prefer that than the alternative. Plus, the Corvette is plenty quick with Stabilitrak on...I'd be VERY wary of hitting the "fun" button with 400+hp and a manual transmission unless I'd had the necessary training/classes.

#24 ·
I have noticed on my C6 that with cold tires, it seems/feels a lot more likely to want to break the back end loose. Call me a puss, wuss or what have you but I leave the traction control on at all times precisely because I don't want to end up as a youtube video.

I'm in the same boat though, my other car is a Subaru Outback XT, I'm used to driving it on a daily basis for the past 6.5 years now and this car is totally different in every way. I haven't gone to a high performance car school just yet so I'm driving it fairly conservatively for the time being. All in good time though.

I will add though, I think some of this is a combination of a few things. Turn off traction control, showing off, going around a corner and flooring it - I don't expect much good to come of that no matter what badge is on the car. Search around, you'll see Ferrari/Lamborghini/Mustang/etc fail videos as well.

#25 ·
I think the combination of high torque at the lower revs along with the weight balance can make it a bit tricky in these kinds of instances where the car is making hard acceleration from lower speeds. Not so sticky or cold tires compound that problem.

The Corvette is a pretty honest car but at the same time you have to respect the power characteristics and drivetrain at hand.

#28 ·
ITT: Average drivers turning off stability control

--

Kids, keep the squiggly tire light off.

Oh, and IMO, just keep SC on until you can drive a car at the limit without engaging the system. For some cars with performance traction systems, like the Corvette, your're going to be going faster with it on than off regardless of skill level because the system actually helps create yaw.

#29 ·
For some cars with performance traction systems, like the Corvette, your're going to be going faster with it on than off regardless of skill level because the system actually helps create yaw.
No it doesn't. PTM is just a racecar-like traction control system. You can floor it out of corners and let the computer do the work.

My C5 didn't have stability control. It made me learn real quick. :laugh:

#34 ·
The only opportunity I've ever had to drive a C6, it happened to be February and snowing heavily.

The car was a Grand Sport with bald summer tires. Overall not bad (traction control on!).

I did have to salt the driveway very well and block the wheels so it wouldnt slide out of the driveway into the street when parked.

CorvetteSnowDay-0319 by rrotsaert, on Flickr

#35 ·
That's what happens when people don't know how to handle RWD and that much power :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.