Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Different sort of exhaust question

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32
      10-09-2012 10:32 PM #1
      So when I was installing the lovely Koni yellows and H&R's I noticed something very odd, my magnaflow sport system was rubbing on my drive shaft!

Anybody else noticed this issue? Anybody got any ideas how to avoid this from happening (exhaust shop?) At least I know what the occasional metal clanking sound is

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      10-09-2012 11:13 PM #2
      That looks pretty bad.

I had a similar but lesser problem on my Borla. I had to loosen the clamps and slide it forward.
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      10-09-2012 11:38 PM #3
      Had the same issue. Magnaflow refuses to admit any flaw in the design of their exhaust, even though that's exactly what the problem is. I have since sold my Magnaflow. Trim the exhaust a bit where it mates with the OEM tubing halfway under the car. This allows the entire catback to sit "deeper" or further in allowing for proper drive shaft clearance.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      10-10-2012 01:33 PM #4
      Have you ever had a loud, metallic screeching sound while driving in heavy rain or snow? I think that's what causes this issue and it happens with the stock exhaust as well. Basically what happens is the water splashes into the exhaust causing it to cool and flex into the driveshaft.

5. Member
      10-10-2012 04:17 PM #5
      that pipe has to expand by at least 1/2 in for it to rub......maybe the exhaust is bouncing around, thus it hitting the driveshaft once in a while.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      10-10-2012 04:26 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
      that pipe has to expand by at least 1/2 in for it to rub......maybe the exhaust is bouncing around, thus it hitting the driveshaft once in a while.
      I *think* what happens is the exhaust moves in sort of a scissor link fashion as the engine rocks in the mounts on and off load.

That and the cold water flexing.
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32
      10-10-2012 04:14 PM #7
      Haha wow they refuse to admit it that says a lot about a company. Kind of disappointing. Thanks for the tips ill see what I can work out and hopefully get some clearance before it shreds a hole right through.

In regards to ehhh. No snow around here lol but definitely heavy rainstorms don't think I've ever heard any screeching during those times. I really only noticed twice so I pulled over checked then put pressure on the tips to push the exhaust down away from whatever it was hitting and that seemed to work but if it continues to happen it obviously needs a better fix.