Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Results 141 to 175 of 279

    Thread: Supreme Court to rule on affirmative action case.

    1. 10-10-2012 09:17 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by crannky View Post
      Seriously. Being black never helped me get a job.

      Looks to me like she was discriminated against for being a Ginger.

      Ugh.
      And a butterface.
      Somewhere, in an alternate universe, Jennifer Lawson is masturbating to your leaked internet photos.

    2. Banned butterface's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2002
      Posts
      7,724
      10-10-2012 09:21 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post
      Ugh.
      And a butterface.
      Leave me out of this.

    3. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      21,067
      10-10-2012 09:22 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by 100% Euro View Post
      Not very democratic of you.
      OT as well as most other forums are not democracies.

    4. 10-10-2012 09:23 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by 100% Euro View Post
      The problem is the IQ disparity between races, it will never go away. AA forces employers to hire the less qualified worker if they are of a certain race (non-white) which is funny considering whites will soon be the minority, the fact is AA is in place not because of discrimination but because blacks for example are less likely as a whole to be as qualified for the position as whites. Of course this is "racist" and not pc but its true and most people see this as such whether they admit it or not.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

    5. Banned 100% Euro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      887
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf .:R, 2007 GTI, 1991 GTI VR6, 1963.5 VW Bug, 2001 Aprilia Falco
      10-10-2012 09:24 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      OT as well as most other forums are not democracies.
      Good thing I was referring to a single individual's view.

    6. 10-10-2012 09:25 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      Leave me out of this.
      Dude.
      Sorry.
      Somewhere, in an alternate universe, Jennifer Lawson is masturbating to your leaked internet photos.

    7. Member Seabird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      15,960
      Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      10-10-2012 10:32 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You make it seem like people want to be poor and live in the ghetto.
      It's not a desire to live there. It's apathy and habit. Once you get into the 3rd and 4th generation, it becomes an ingrained way of life.

      Anyway, the biggest issue is and will continue to be education. Until you can get people in the hood to value an education everything will be for naught. The problem is that you've got generations upon generations of people that scraped by without an education so they don't see the value in one. To them, working at Wendy's is a pretty great achievement and staying out of prison is essentially unheard of.

      Making the push to value education is what will really change everything.
      Agreed and it was what made those other ethnic lower classes I referred to ultimately successful. I think that pulling the subsidies and entitlements and forcing a little tough love self reliance would help. Affirmative action and racial preference schemes aren't working.
      Rest easy, Bart.

    8. Member Robstr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 8th, 2006
      Location
      South Bend, IN
      Posts
      1,624
      Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      10-10-2012 10:47 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by 100% Euro View Post
      Explain how opposing view points get someone banned?
      It's not "an opposing viewpoint". You're simply wrong. You merit exactly the treatment you get.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

    9. Banned 100% Euro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      887
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf .:R, 2007 GTI, 1991 GTI VR6, 1963.5 VW Bug, 2001 Aprilia Falco
      10-11-2012 12:00 AM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      It's not "an opposing viewpoint". You're simply wrong. You merit exactly the treatment you get.
      Prove it

    10. Banned Fritz27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2003
      Location
      Brickell
      Posts
      26,445
      Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      10-11-2012 01:02 AM #150
      You're the one making the racist claim, the burden of proof is on you. That's how debate works.

    11. 10-11-2012 01:12 AM #151
      Could you imagine the sh_tstorm that would occur if someone actually did an IQ test and found cultural or racial evidence? Regardless who came out on top...that would be a bad time.

      PS: I think affirmative action is a joke, but I'm not buying some of the arguments here...

    12. Banned butterface's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2002
      Posts
      7,724
      10-11-2012 01:43 AM #152
      IQ is not race-based but culture-based. Many cultures - in this case, American blacks - possess norms that don't often emphasize and/or foster intellectual development from childhood through adolescence. The Left likes to blame whitey oppression for said culture, but that hypothesis hasn't exactly panned out over time. My belief is that it is a broad pathological issue that can only be 'fixed' from within. American blacks, in particular, need to think about doing a purge of its current 1960s-oriented leadership, disavow poisonous, illogical ideas like critical race theory, black liberation theology, and multiculturalism (which leads to perpetual victimhood-status, robs one of self-concept and determination, and facilitates self-insulting/defeating ideas like AA), and instead encourage academic achievement and cultural assimilation within the American individualistic paradigm. I don't think many people in this day and age would not hire someone because of color if they otherwise met or exceeded qualifications like anyone else. We see this with the overwhelming hiring of immigrants from other cultures (India, anyone?) who come here, work hard, and find suitable employment. Hell, my girlfriend is a black girl from Barbados, is utterly brilliant, and cannot for the life of her identify with American black culture. She hates that it 'seems to be devouring itself' (her words).

      Continuing to put in office those that want to perpetuate the real oppression of trying to keep one's culture on the dole certainly doesn't help.
      Last edited by butterface; 10-11-2012 at 01:51 AM.

    13. Banned 100% Euro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      887
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf .:R, 2007 GTI, 1991 GTI VR6, 1963.5 VW Bug, 2001 Aprilia Falco
      10-11-2012 02:03 AM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Could you imagine the sh_tstorm that would occur if someone actually did an IQ test and found cultural or racial evidence? Regardless who came out on top...that would be a bad time.

      PS: I think affirmative action is a joke, but I'm not buying some of the arguments here...
      They have done this already; read The Bell Curve its pretty cheap on amazon. Its just not well known because if it was debates like this would be pointless, besides its not very politically correct.


      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      IQ is not race-based but culture-based. Many cultures - in this case, American blacks - possess norms that don't often emphasize and/or foster intellectual development from childhood through adolescence. The Left likes to blame whitey oppression for said culture, but that hypothesis hasn't exactly panned out over time. My belief is that it is a broad pathological issue that can only be 'fixed' from within. American blacks, in particular, need to think about doing a purge of its current 1960s-oriented leadership, disavow poisonous, illogical ideas like critical race theory, black liberation theology, and multiculturalism (which leads to perpetual victimhood-status, robs one of self-concept and determination, and facilitates self-insulting/defeating ideas like AA), and instead encourage academic achievement and cultural assimilation within the American individualistic paradigm. I don't think many people in this day and age would not hire someone because of color if they otherwise met or exceeded qualifications like anyone else. We see this with the overwhelming hiring of immigrants from other cultures (India, anyone?) who come here, work hard, and find suitable employment. Hell, my girlfriend is a black girl from Barbados, is utterly brilliant, and cannot for the life of her identify with American black culture. She hates that it 'seems to be devouring itself' (her words).

      Continuing to put in office those that want to perpetuate the real oppression of trying to keep one's culture on the dole certainly doesn't help.
      Intellect defined simply as the ability to learn is not an environmentally determined trait. This has been known since the early 30's when the Russians and Germans had opposing viewpoints on the subject when eugenics was an acceptable study. The Russians believed as you do that the work and knowledge gained could be passed down to the offspring and increase their collective intellect, The German's believed that it was purely genetically determined. The Germans in the end where proven to be right and when Stalin realized this he ended the program killing the directors. The fact that people like yourself still feel this way about it to this day is proof that it was a social failure to allow the study to dwindle; due to being to harsh on those not looked upon favorably. Now you do certainly site good examples where the black community could improve culturally but that is not really the topic here. I have devoted a lot of time to this research and im afraid not many others have due to the fact that the only acceptable way to look at it by today standards is to try above all else to make the appearance that everyone is equal and has an equal ability to succeed. Nature is not fair, it never has been and never will be. To make equal that that is unequal can only be done by bringing one side down to meet the lesser this is a great deal less fair than to leave well enough alone. I hope I am not dismissed as a racist uneducated redneck as many will surely say instead of looking at the facts and having an open mind. I'm sure my saying the phrase open mind will even insight some smart mouthed reply. But it takes a more open mind to see my view than it does the one shoved down your throats daily.
      Last edited by 100% Euro; 10-11-2012 at 02:10 AM.

    14. 10-11-2012 08:58 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy View Post
      Jader are you Pres Obama hiding in OT killing time?
      He's not that bad in an argument.

      Quote Originally Posted by Jader Pack View Post
      what do you propose is the reason for their being economically and socially disadvantaged if not the racism they suffered in the past and the consequences of that racism today?
      There is no single reason, but several contributing elements, such as:

      AA. It creates incentives for employers who aren't racists to avoid hiring minorities, because they pose a greater risk of having been coddled in their education or previous work experience, and they are a greater risk of substantial costs if you wind up having to fire them. Modern American businessmen care more about money than race or gender. AA gives them a real monetary incentive to avoid hiring more costly employees, they just have to be very careful about not doing so in writing or explicitly, among PC people.

      Democrats. They've been running most American inner cities for how long now? If you invite a bunch of people to become serfs instead of citizens, and some of them take you up on it, I'm not sure who deserves more blame, the generations of Democrat politicians (some of whom are white) who run the urban vote plantations, or the people who embrace a culture that holds education and self-sufficiency in disdain.

      Nature. Faith in equality is a civic virtue that even I share (to a smaller degree than Leftists), but none of us believe in equality because of anything like scientific evidence. Everything in nature as opposed to our cultural ideals, tells us that inequality and vicious competition are the rule rather than the exception. Whether we buck our nature and chose a less savage culture, that values chivalry, education, truth, etc. is up to us and determines exactly what kind of government we deserve and will pass on to our children.

      No one is more responsible for how people wind up than themselves, their parents, their community, their culture, etc. in that order of decreasing locality and responsibility.

    15. 10-11-2012 09:08 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by 100% Euro View Post
      AA forces employers to hire the less qualified workers...
      I disagree; it forces smart employers to find less obvious ways to avoid costs imposed by bad laws.

    16. Member 20DYNAMITE07's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2007
      Location
      DC Metro Area
      Posts
      5,676
      Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      10-11-2012 09:31 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by 100% Euro View Post
      They have done this already; read The Bell Curve its pretty cheap on amazon. Its just not well known because if it was debates like this would be pointless, besides its not very politically correct.



      The book The Bell Curve, isn't well known because it is sh!te. It has been repeatedly shown to be sh!te, and that there is no scientific basis for the hypothesies put forward in the book.

      In response to the growing controversy surrounding The Bell Curve, the American Psychological Association's Board of Scientific Affairs established a special task force to publish an investigative report on the research presented in the book.[7] The final report, titled Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns, is available at an academic website.[8] Some of the task force's findings supported or were consistent with statements from The Bell Curve. They agreed that:

      IQ scores have high predictive validity for individual differences in school achievement.
      IQ scores have predictive validity for adult occupational status, even when variables such as education and family background have been statistically controlled.
      There is little evidence to show that childhood diet influences intelligence except in cases of severe malnutrition.
      Regarding Murray and Herrnstein's claims about racial differences and genetics, the APA task force stated:

      There is certainly no such support for a genetic interpretation... . It is sometimes suggested that the Black/ White differential in psychometric intelligence is partly due to genetic differences (Jensen, 1972). There is not much direct evidence on this point, but what little there is fails to support the genetic hypothesis.
      Take your bull**** back to Stormfront.
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

    17. 10-11-2012 09:51 AM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      The book The Bell Curve, isn't well known because it is sh!te. It has been repeatedly shown to be sh!te, and that there is no scientific basis for the hypothesies put forward in the book.
      It was written by a Liberal Harvard prof, to argue that 1) We should study this instead of having a cultural taboo against this field of inquiry and 2) we should consider designing AA to help people of low IQs instead of people of a particular race, many of whom have high IQs.

      The APA's point about agreeing with the Bell Curve that,

      IQ scores have high predictive validity for individual differences in school achievement.
      IQ scores have predictive validity for adult occupational status,...

      was central to the Bell Curve's thesis. That some studies of IQ didn't find perfect equality among races (back when this wasn't a cultural taboo), wasn't central to the point of the book, if you bothered to read it instead of Liberal reactions to it.

      The problem isn't that the authors or people who actually read the Bell Curve are racists, its that Eric Holder was partially right about some Americans being unwilling to have an honest discussion about race. We can't, because the moment we begin to, Leftist zealots perceive their faith in equality being threatened, so they have to shriek, "Racist!" to shut down the conversation.

      The single best thing about Obama's presidency has been his vast progress wearing out the race card.

    18. Member T4YLOR15's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2010
      Posts
      202
      Vehicles
      mk4 GTI vr6
      10-11-2012 10:09 AM #158
      Genetic variation states that 99.9% of DNA is identical amoung the human population. Irregardless of race/color, height, weight, intellgence (which imo doesn't genetically even exist, that's for another fun thread) yada yada. There is 10x more genetic difference amoung given population of drosophilla than a population of humans. So what does this mean? Race doesn't exist. Its a development by people to catagorize people. We catagorize based on whatever we can, it makes identification easier.

      With that said, past experiences are reason for multiple present day laws/policies whateverthehell is around, and they tend to stay around due to the social implications. From my experiences (poor white family, no parents/grandparents in college, grandparents were immagrents) I don't give a damn what color a person is. I see work ethic as a much better guage of who a person is rather than what color they were born. Evolution gave them the color, social structure gave them the classification. It is possible for someone to go from "rags to riches," depending on how hard they work, period. AA to me is BS, you work hard, you play hard.

      Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
      VRalliance#90

    19. Banned roadtripper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2003
      Posts
      4,011
      10-11-2012 10:09 AM #159
      just because someone screams racist doesn't mean that their opponent is not racist.

      i have more trouble with preferential placements for veterans, civil service employment practices, and incestuous/cannibalistic law enforcement/governmental hiring than any "aa."

      the right people are not in charge of our institutions; it has nothing to do with race.

    20. Member T4YLOR15's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2010
      Posts
      202
      Vehicles
      mk4 GTI vr6
      10-11-2012 10:12 AM #160
      P.s. life isn't fair. If it was, this would be a boring world.
      VRalliance#90

    21. Member westsideseal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2002
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      3,238
      Vehicles
      S2000
      10-11-2012 10:14 AM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      I disagree.

      I applied and tested for a senior analyst position in my state a few years back and LOST to a black female.

      I test 98%, she tested at 88%, but because she was given 10 points for both gender and race, she scored the same as me, then AA gave her the edge over me in applicants.

      thank God I am now the minority (white male over 45) and I can and WILL use AA as a course of action for jobs I apply for.
      I'm curious to know:

      1. How do you know someone gets 5 points each for checking the female and AA box?
      2. What did the conversation sound like when you were given the news that you didn't get the position? "Sorry, LSinLV we really wanted to hire you, but we had to go with the black lady because... well, she's a black lady"
      3. Are you really arrogant enough to think race is the SOLE reason why she would have been picked over you? Maybe that ignorance and arrogance points to some intangible deficiencies you have that make you less qualified for a higher position.
      4. What the hell kind of decent job uses a test to make a hiring decision, rather than work experience, personality, aptitude and a million other more valuable traits?

      I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you. I'm sure the idea that someone is simply better for the position despite scoring lower on a test is unfathomable to you.

    22. Banned roadtripper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2003
      Posts
      4,011
      10-11-2012 10:23 AM #162
      you are REALLY all over the place there, t4ylor15. stay in school. you'll be fine. your idea that intelligence doesn't exist and/or is NOT genetically influenced is intriguing. definitely worth imagining and exploring in your creative time.

      but my carbon copy ten year old son (down to his standardized and iq test scores to the tenth of a percent; look out world!!) would suggest otherwise. as has been stated above, this has been studied and verified quite extensively.

      the other day he got rambling () and mentioned that the smart kids must have had really good teachers, and the struggling kids must just have gotten unlucky. i pointed out they all had the same teachers. he didn't seem to like that.

    23. Member 20DYNAMITE07's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2007
      Location
      DC Metro Area
      Posts
      5,676
      Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      10-11-2012 10:29 AM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      It was written by a Liberal Harvard prof, to argue that 1) We should study this instead of having a cultural taboo against this field of inquiry and 2) we should consider designing AA to help people of low IQs instead of people of a particular race, many of whom have high IQs.

      The APA's point about agreeing with the Bell Curve that,

      IQ scores have high predictive validity for individual differences in school achievement.
      IQ scores have predictive validity for adult occupational status,...

      was central to the Bell Curve's thesis. That some studies of IQ didn't find perfect equality among races (back when this wasn't a cultural taboo), wasn't central to the point of the book
      , if you bothered to read it instead of Liberal reactions to it.

      The problem isn't that the authors or people who actually read the Bell Curve are racists, its that Eric Holder was partially right about some Americans being unwilling to have an honest discussion about race. We can't, because the moment we begin to, Leftist zealots perceive their faith in equality being threatened, so they have to shriek, "Racist!" to shut down the conversation.

      The single best thing about Obama's presidency has been his vast progress wearing out the race card.
      None of that is the issue. The issue was that the book put forth that genetics was the the supreme determinating factor in intelligence that these broke along racial lines. And that is what has been called out as sh!te as there has been nothing put forward to date that supports this claim.

      But if it comforts you to blame liberal boogymen, go for it. You're wrong... but at least you feel good about it.
      Last edited by 20DYNAMITE07; 10-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

    24. Member T4YLOR15's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2010
      Posts
      202
      Vehicles
      mk4 GTI vr6
      10-11-2012 10:40 AM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      the right people are not in charge of our institutions; it has nothing to do with race.

      ...all over the place
      I was distracting myself in Diffeq on my phone apologizes if crazy sounding. ha (Holler at being a senior in sophomore classes!)

      I like this statement about the people in charge. Pretty much sums it up.
      VRalliance#90

    25. 10-11-2012 10:44 AM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      just because someone screams racist doesn't mean that their opponent is not racist.
      But that's the great thing about Obama's presidency. The balance between genuine and false accusations of racism has tipped so overwhelmingly in favor of false accusations, that the race card has vastly weakened the ability of some to shut down honest conversations.

      I share a small degree of faith in political equality. That faith is also strong and flexible enough to withstand challenges, and even become stronger as a result of those challenges. Some people's faith in equality is much more brittle. I attribute this to weak educations, lack of challenge, and belonging to a political party with an embarrassing history of Klan membership and undeniably horrible management of our inner cities.

      I'm a little surprised though to see some people in this thread denying the heritability of intelligence. Don't they believe in evolution, or only when its consistent with their political faith?

    26. 10-11-2012 10:51 AM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      The issue was that the book put forth that genetics was the the supreme determinating factor in intelligence that these broke along racial lines. And that is what has been called out as sh!te as there has been nothing put forward to date that supports this claim.
      Nothing or only weak evidence? Did you understand Murray and Hernstein's point about how a cultural taboo doesn't help us to collect better evidence for or against this idea that you hate?

      I understand people who don't like old studies, or think they were racially biased. But the ridiculously absolute claim that there is "NO" evidence, rather than criticizing the weakness of the available evidence, which the authors acknowledge, is just an expression of hostility from the faithful. Not a desire to know the truth, or a desire to fashion public policies based on something other than fantasy.

    27. 10-11-2012 11:02 AM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      The issue was that the book put forth that genetics was the the supreme determinating factor in intelligence that these broke along racial lines.
      I almost forgot to ask, what factor do you believe is more important than genetics in determining intelligence?

      While I understand that the evidence for a break along racial lines is very weak, from old and potentially very biased studies, are you aware of any contrary evidence? More modern studies that found no break whatsoever?

      Are you beginning to see their point about the problem with this cultural taboo that prohibits more modern studies? Murray and Hernstein weren't making a point fundamentally different from Eric Holder's point about our unwillingness to have an honest discussion.

    28. Member Jader Pack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2003
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      11,311
      Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      10-11-2012 11:08 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      There is no single reason, but several contributing elements, such as:

      AA. It creates incentives for employers who aren't racists to avoid hiring minorities, because they pose a greater risk of having been coddled in their education or previous work experience, and they are a greater risk of substantial costs if you wind up having to fire them. Modern American businessmen care more about money than race or gender. AA gives them a real monetary incentive to avoid hiring more costly employees, they just have to be very careful about not doing so in writing or explicitly, among PC people.

      Democrats. They've been running most American inner cities for how long now? If you invite a bunch of people to become serfs instead of citizens, and some of them take you up on it, I'm not sure who deserves more blame, the generations of Democrat politicians (some of whom are white) who run the urban vote plantations, or the people who embrace a culture that holds education and self-sufficiency in disdain.

      Nature. Faith in equality is a civic virtue that even I share (to a smaller degree than Leftists), but none of us believe in equality because of anything like scientific evidence. Everything in nature as opposed to our cultural ideals, tells us that inequality and vicious competition are the rule rather than the exception. Whether we buck our nature and chose a less savage culture, that values chivalry, education, truth, etc. is up to us and determines exactly what kind of government we deserve and will pass on to our children.

      No one is more responsible for how people wind up than themselves, their parents, their community, their culture, etc. in that order of decreasing locality and responsibility.
      I disagree that AA "coddles" the minorities that benefit from it to the degree that they can't do anything themselves. AA incentives are not so overwhelming as to be the sole deciding factor; they usually only come into play when there are two fairly equivalent candidates. It's not like they're letting people into universities with F's in all their high school classes, or giving brain-dead morons with no credentials at all high-powered executive jobs as a result of AA.

      I also disagree that AA is the cause of the relative inequality blacks face today. They faced that inequality long before such programs.

      I also reject the idea that anything inherent and unchangeable (such as genetics) is to blame. This is more directed at 100% Nazi than at you, but I have to say, that belief is utterly unsupported by science (books you buy from the Stormfront website are not science) and is revolting in the extreme.

      To me, that leaves lack of opportunity and cultural issues. Culture can be changed, and I think the best way to do so is to provide the same incentive that has been available to everyone else since forever: work really f***ing hard, and you'll succeed. The thing is, since blacks are starting from a relative disadvantage (which is not a racist statement or an indication of belief that, all things being equal, blacks are less capable), without a bit of help like AA working really f***ing hard is more likely than not to get you nowhere. Thus, programs like AA not only provide the missing opportunity, but provides the basis for a change in the culture that essentially says "the odds are stacked against me, so why bother?"

    29. Banned 100% Euro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      887
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf .:R, 2007 GTI, 1991 GTI VR6, 1963.5 VW Bug, 2001 Aprilia Falco
      10-11-2012 11:16 AM #169
      Ok I dont have a lot of time this morning but one thing I want to point out is, there are to many people so worried about feeling or seeming racist to see any point other than their own. There is no single more important determining factor than genetics when determining IQ. For Mr. 99.9% similarity in genes between races, not only is that number incorrect but even if it was correct .01% allows for allot of variance for proof of this just look at diffrent races, color their skin the same and you will still see a very noticeable difference in most if not all cases. For these people claiming genetics is not the main factor in intelligence I would like some proof of this, real proof because you are wrong.
      Last edited by 100% Euro; 10-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.

    30. Member 20DYNAMITE07's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2007
      Location
      DC Metro Area
      Posts
      5,676
      Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      10-11-2012 11:16 AM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      Nothing or only weak evidence? Did you understand Murray and Hernstein's point about how a cultural taboo doesn't help us to collect better evidence for or against this idea that you hate?
      Of course I understand that. It is an excellent point, and a testament of science's ability to move forward in the face bias. But the critique of the book isn't that... the critique of the book is that correlation =/= causation, yet they postulate a racial hypothesis that didn't hold much water.


      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      I understand people who don't like old studies, or think they were racially biased. But the ridiculously absolute claim that there is "NO" evidence, rather than criticizing the weakness of the available evidence, which the authors acknowledge, is just an expression of hostility from the faithful. Not a desire to know the truth, or a desire to fashion public policies based on something other than fantasy.
      If you want to accept on face value the findings showing racially based differences in intelligence or capeability from back when Phrenology was considered cutting edge, then yes you have a point. ( a joke) But in all seriousness, I think you read my statement too literally. There are findings, but they largely are throwbacks from a different age. I think we have better instruments now, and those instruments do not support a racial component to intelligence.
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

    31. Member 20DYNAMITE07's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2007
      Location
      DC Metro Area
      Posts
      5,676
      Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      10-11-2012 11:20 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      I almost forgot to ask, what factor do you believe is more important than genetics in determining intelligence?

      While I understand that the evidence for a break along racial lines is very weak, from old and potentially very biased studies, are you aware of any contrary evidence? More modern studies that found no break whatsoever?

      Are you beginning to see their point about the problem with this cultural taboo that prohibits more modern studies? Murray and Hernstein weren't making a point fundamentally different from Eric Holder's point about our unwillingness to have an honest discussion.
      Let me clarify... I think genetics is the largest determining factor, what I don't support is that it breaks along racial lines.
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

    32. Member T4YLOR15's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2010
      Posts
      202
      Vehicles
      mk4 GTI vr6
      10-11-2012 11:55 AM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by 100% Euro View Post
      Ok I dont have a lot of time this morning but one thing I want to point out is, there are to many people so worried about feeling or seeming racist to see any point other than their own. There is no single more important determining factor than genetics when determining IQ. For Mr. only 99.9% difference in genes between races, not only is that number incorrect but even if it was correct .01% allows for allot of variance for proof of this just look at diffrent races, color their skin the same and you will still see a very noticeable difference in most if not all cases. For these people claiming genetics is not the main factor in intelligence I would like some proof of this, real proof because you are wrong.
      99.9% difference would mean that you and I are 0.01% alike.
      I can tell you don't have a deep background in Molecular Biology, so I'll let it die there.
      VRalliance#90

    33. Banned 100% Euro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2008
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      887
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf .:R, 2007 GTI, 1991 GTI VR6, 1963.5 VW Bug, 2001 Aprilia Falco
      10-11-2012 12:10 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by T4YLOR15 View Post
      99.9% difference would mean that you and I are 0.01% alike.
      I can tell you don't have a deep background in Molecular Biology, so I'll let it die there.
      Or I miss-typed is more like it, ill change that. Thanks for using a mature approach when you know I clearly miss-typed.

    34. 10-11-2012 12:17 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      ... what I don't support is that it breaks along racial lines.
      Is that because you are aware of contrary evidence? More modern studies that found no break whatsoever? Or do you just believe this as a matter of political faith, rather than evidence, like me?

      Does this mean that you don't believe in ongoing human evolution, or the idea that our species has distinct genetic pools that tend to interbreed, and may diverge from one another in important ways?

      I'm always curious to learn how someone believes in both evolution and human equality beyond anything more than the slightest political sense of equality, i.e. casting one vote, just like someone else.

    35. Member Jader Pack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2003
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      11,311
      Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      10-11-2012 12:25 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      Is that because you are aware of contrary evidence? More modern studies that found no break whatsoever? Or do you just believe this as a matter of political faith, rather than evidence, like me?
      I'm still not clear which evidence you're relying on. So far, you seem to be relying on a book that clearly states that it has only drawn a correlation between race and differing IQs, and clearly states that it is not claiming to have established causation.

    Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •