Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      10-10-2012 10:03 AM #5
      LOL at the c0ck in the video.

Vehicles
      '02 GTI, '09 Passat 2.0t, '14 Mazda CX-5
      10-10-2012 10:24 AM #6
      Must be cold in that garage.

FOR SALE - '02 GTI 1.8T - 5 Speed - 133,xxx miles - Bunch of extras - IM me if you're in the tri-state area

Vehicles
      MKV R32 #2603
      10-10-2012 03:08 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Checks calender.
      Notices today is the video shoot.
      Opens dresser drawer.
      Puts on son's shirt.
      Ahhh yes, the shmedium in full effect.

Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude, 1984 Honda Gyro
      10-10-2012 03:36 PM #8
      I'll never forget the day when one of my dad's friends brought a Countach by our house. It was especially amazing because we live in an average suburban neighborhood and to just sit out on the front porch and see a Countach was unforgettable.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      Go to bed or we're going for a drive in the Durango.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2011 Mazda CX-9
      10-10-2012 04:15 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      R.I.P. Lambhorghini's heyday
      They're now producing the fastest, best driving, best built cars in their history. God, what a shame.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      10-10-2012 04:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      They're now producing the fastest, best driving, best built cars in their history. God, what a shame.
      They're lame as **** compared to the Countach though.

10-10-2012 04:24 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      This. Chrysler sucked the character right out of Lamborghini. VAG is making sure it never returns.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 04:27 PM #12
      They're lame because they actually function now? Sorry, I hate this mentality that was fed to you all by a couple of Top Gear episodes, so now you've convinced yourselves you believe it because it sounds edgy and somewhat humorous.
      The Countach is a shi!t car. Yes, I'd love to have one. But for god's sake start being honest about it. It's cool because it's the genesis of your boyhood fascination with supercars. Not because it's good at being a car. Nothing f-ing works on the car. That's not admirable. It's comical, but it's not endearing. This whole "it's better because it's worse" Clarkson nonsense is just tired. The Countach has it's place, and yes as I said I'd love to have one. But for the realistic reasons... nostalgia being the predominant force, not because it's a good car. It's not.

Yes, the 700 hp, 0-60 in under 3 second, actually functioning and redeemable Aventador is lame. Right.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 04:33 PM #13
      And before the vitriol overwhelms all of your pores and is mercilessly flung at me, I'm not the guy that can only appreciate things that are new, and that thinks whatever the most recent car someone built is their best car. That's not the case. I'd rather have a 288 GTO than any modern Ferrari.

14. 10-10-2012 04:35 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      This. Chrysler sucked the character right out of Lamborghini. VAG is making sure it never returns.
      vag has a way of doing that.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      10-10-2012 11:48 PM #15
      They're lame because they actually function now? Sorry, I hate this mentality that was fed to you all by a couple of Top Gear episodes, so now you've convinced yourselves you believe it because it sounds edgy and somewhat humorous.
      The Countach is a shi!t car. Yes, I'd love to have one. But for god's sake start being honest about it. It's cool because it's the genesis of your boyhood fascination with supercars. Not because it's good at being a car. Nothing f-ing works on the car. That's not admirable. It's comical, but it's not endearing. This whole "it's better because it's worse" Clarkson nonsense is just tired. The Countach has it's place, and yes as I said I'd love to have one. But for the realistic reasons... nostalgia being the predominant force, not because it's a good car. It's not.

Yes, the 700 hp, 0-60 in under 3 second, actually functioning and redeemable Aventador is lame. Right.
      I know the Countach is an utter pile of ****. But it's an awesome pile of ****. The Aventador is lame. I hate new cars.

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-10-2012 11:48 PM #16

It's sort of all relative. From a discussion standpoint is one thing but from a buying and owning perspective it's another.

The Countach was my absolute boyhood dream (along with Stacy Williams from the SI swimsuit issue). Then when I was about 14 or 15 I started to become aware of mechanical traits and virtues, and started to look at cars for the entire picture, not just appearances. The Countach was still up there but not THE top car on my list.

Fast forward a bunch of years to when I could actually afford one. Did I want one? Yes. Could I pull the trigger and buy one? Hell no. I came close a few times but each time I was like, "what a POS this thing is" and start getting the shakes thinking about $20k clutch services. Then every time I would get in one and close that beetle wing door it was like I was closing my own coffin in some terrible 1970's modernist nightmare. But then I looked all the newer Lamborghinis and came away really sad. I've driven all the Diablos, the Murci, and all the Gallardos. Everyone who said that the new cars are bland and characterless are right. They have very little soul. The Countach, for every bit the POS that it is, is so rich in character and personality that it goes beyond being "just a car." I think that's what people miss now. They perform great but so do all kinds of cars. Beyond that, you can barely crack the speed limit half the time because of all the traffic, police, etc. As a result, if you're not in a car that feels outrageous even while going slow, you're missing the fun. And owning something like that is not about going 0-60 in 3.2 seconds or whatever and whatever bench racing numbers everyone spouts. It's about having fun.

All those performance numbers are meaningless if you're not in something that puts a smile on your face at parking lot speeds. I'll take an old slow Ferrari 328 GTB over a Gallardo any day of the week.

If you want to own a Lamborghini that you can live with but still feels somewhat Italian, the Diablo 6.0 from 2001 is just about your only bet. Stiff clutch, slightly quirky but given a mechanical once over by VAG as a stop gap before the Murcielago. But you have to like that styling though. And get used to feeling like you're Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber. Every time I see a Diablo pull up and the door open, I think of that movie.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-10-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-10-2012 11:53 PM #17
      I'll take a Countach over an Audi any day. Maybe a Balboni.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-11-2012 12:04 AM #18
      nipples

Vehicles
      2001 Passat, 1994 Canepa Suburban, 2006 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4
      10-16-2012 03:23 PM #19
      I don't know how many white Countachs there are being driven around in this state, but I saw one identical to this one on the weekend. It was just far enough away that I couldn't see the driver. It's been a long time since I saw a Countach on the road. Coincidence?

Sure was impressive.

Found a yellow Gallardo parked next to my Passat when I got back from lunch on Sunday.

I won't compare the two, but I wouldn't mind driving either one.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-17-2012 12:45 AM #20
      I know the Countach is an utter pile of ****. But it's an awesome pile of ****. The Aventador is lame. I hate new cars.
      Yeah, so, what you've done here is admit that the problem isn't actually with the Aventador, or indeed with Lamborghini. You just don't like new cars.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-17-2012 02:02 AM #21

Fire is awesome though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

22. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      10-17-2012 07:30 AM #22
      I still haven't seen any exotic that's garnered more attention than the Countach, it's the Beatles of supercars.

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      10-17-2012 07:42 AM #23
      I've on seen one of those in the wild, and even then I only saw the back end as it passed me on the autobahn.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

Vehicles
      05 scion xA
      10-17-2012 08:10 AM #24
      those wheels

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      10-17-2012 08:59 AM #25
      If I ever feel like not exercising, I'll watch this video so I can be reminded of what could happen.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI on a diet;
      10-17-2012 09:53 AM #26
      I don't know about that. I love older supercars, but the new Aventador is gorgeous and is now my favorite modern supercar.

Vehicles
      82 Callaway Turbo Scirocco #17, 03 GTI 1.8T GT2871R, 85 4000 S Quattro, 01 YZF 600R
      10-17-2012 10:10 AM #27
      I don't have enough gold chains to rock the Countach but I would really love a Muira. Talk about wild and ahead of its time.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Audi S4 Premium Plus
      10-17-2012 10:16 AM #28

You are absolutely on point with this

10-17-2012 11:35 AM #29
      Sorry, I hate this mentality that was fed to you all by a couple of Top Gear episodes, so now you've convinced yourselves you believe it because it sounds edgy and somewhat humorous.
      Sorry, Internet toughguy....I don't watch Top Gear since I can't stand Clarkson.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

10-17-2012 12:07 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      It's sort of all relative. From a discussion standpoint is one thing but from a buying and owning perspective it's another.

The Countach was my absolute boyhood dream (along with Stacy Williams from the SI swimsuit issue). Then when I was about 14 or 15 I started to become aware of mechanical traits and virtues, and started to look at cars for the entire picture, not just appearances. The Countach was still up there but not THE top car on my list.

Fast forward a bunch of years to when I could actually afford one. Did I want one? Yes. Could I pull the trigger and buy one? Hell no. I came close a few times but each time I was like, "what a POS this thing is" and start getting the shakes thinking about $20k clutch services. Then every time I would get in one and close that beetle wing door it was like I was closing my own coffin in some terrible 1970's modernist nightmare. But then I looked all the newer Lamborghinis and came away really sad. I've driven all the Diablos, the Murci, and all the Gallardos. Everyone who said that the new cars are bland and characterless are right. They have very little soul. The Countach, for every bit the POS that it is, is so rich in character and personality that it goes beyond being "just a car." I think that's what people miss now. They perform great but so do all kinds of cars. Beyond that, you can barely crack the speed limit half the time because of all the traffic, police, etc. As a result, if you're not in a car that feels outrageous even while going slow, you're missing the fun. And owning something like that is not about going 0-60 in 3.2 seconds or whatever and whatever bench racing numbers everyone spouts. It's about having fun.

All those performance numbers are meaningless if you're not in something that puts a smile on your face at parking lot speeds. I'll take an old slow Ferrari 328 GTB over a Gallardo any day of the week.

If you want to own a Lamborghini that you can live with but still feels somewhat Italian, the Diablo 6.0 from 2001 is just about your only bet. Stiff clutch, slightly quirky but given a mechanical once over by VAG as a stop gap before the Murcielago. But you have to like that styling though. And get used to feeling like you're Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber. Every time I see a Diablo pull up and the door open, I think of that movie.
      I agree. The new supercars just don't have the character the older cars had. If I had to use a word to describe the newer cars I'd say they are "sterile"; meaning, the seem too techie....too good. Safety features like ESC and ABS along with advancements in drive-ability like electric steering and ETB tend to isolate the driver from the car. You don't have the mechanical connection with the vehicle. Yes, the newer cares are very fast and powerful but I feel they lack soul and character.

I'll give you another example......my family has a 1927 Model T pickup. Full restoration including hand crank. It's not fast, it's terribly unsafe (no belts, ABS, or even good brakes), and is difficult at best to drive but it's one of the funnest vehicles I've ever driven. There's just something engaging about it. That hand crank to start which is capable of braking your arm or elbow if it kicks back, the delicate dance between spark advance and pedal work, the shear basic mechanics of the thing.....it seems to have a lot of character. That's what's missing from the newer cars. That connection between driver and machine.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      10-17-2012 12:10 PM #31
      TCL; where a Model T is a better driver's car than an Aventador.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      97 Ram 1500
      10-17-2012 12:41 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      nipples
      yup
      Keep Calm & Chive On

FKA gti_r_done

Vehicles
      Some Germans, a Brit, an Austrian, and a Yank
      10-17-2012 01:27 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Corrado1900T View Post
      I don't have enough gold chains to rock the Countach but I would really love a Muira. Talk about wild and ahead of its time.
      This.

I hear that the Miura wasn't a particularly great car either, but If I'm going on outrageous looks (for its time), rarity in the wild, and what I coveted as a young blossoming car enthusiast, this Lambo does it for me. The pre-wing and coke era LP400 is next in line among my Lambo list.

Last edited by MuddyMudskipper; 10-17-2012 at 01:34 PM.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      10-17-2012 03:38 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      nipples
      He's got some Ju-Jub nips, for realz

10-17-2012 03:55 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by jmj View Post
      TCL; where a Model T is a better driver's car than an Aventador.
      Where did I say that? TCL; where people jump to conclusions.

I've never driven a Aventador, and probably never will, but compared to, say, my old Mk4 R32 the Model T is a more fun, entertaining vehicle hands down. It's engaging. It forces you to actually drive the vehicle. Anyone can drive a R32, very few can drive a Model T. That, in itself, makes it a great driver's car.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast