Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hatchback drivers ever wish they had a sedan instead?

1. 10-10-2012 12:43 PM #76
      Instead of doing the right thing and having the whole back move as a door, AMC cheapened out and just made it a big window that flopped up.

As for the original question - I absolutely love hatchbacks - they are just about as practical for hauling stuff as a truck. I was amazed at how much stuff I could fit in my 2001 New Beetle - and how much even more I could in my 2003 Jetta Wagon (or is that considered a station wagon and not a hatch?)
      Last edited by SwampBuggie; 10-10-2012 at 12:46 PM.

2. 10-10-2012 12:45 PM #77
      Nope. I love hatches. If anything, I would have wished for a wagon instead.

3. 10-10-2012 12:46 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      We wish we could've found 4-door Yaris hatches - but they are impossible to find in Texas with a manual.
      IIRC they weren't offered anywhere in the US by Toyota with a manual.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      10-10-2012 12:49 PM #79
      The only time i've wished I had less space is in vaginas.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      10-10-2012 12:53 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by JMTombstone View Post
      I am always puzzled when I hear people say how sedans are not practical. I have put more into my Jetta then could have ever fit in the Golf/GTI of the same generation. It just takes more thought on how things need to be packed in. Granted there are some items that it can be difficult to get into a sedan (if at all) such as a loveseat (or similar sized item) where a hatch would be nice (I have friends with trucks for that kind of stuff ). However, seats folded down in both, I will stick to saying that my sedan can hold a greater volume than a hatch of the same generation.
      It is a question height vs. depth. With the mk4 Jetta, the trunk makes the car longer than the Golf, giving you the length, but a Golf opts for height. So, you can fit a tall, bulky item in the Golf. but not in a Jetta, whereas you can fit long, flatter items in a Jetta, and probably not in a Golf. I'd wager one is far more likely to be transporting tall, bulky items vs. long flat ones.

This isn't me saying hatches rule and sedans suck. I was always shocked at the enormity of my B4 passat trunk, and could fit loads in that car with the seats down. At the opposite end of the spectrum was my G8 which had a deep but short (height) trunk and no folding seats. Still got a bunch in there, but not as much as the B4 Passat.

In either case, I would have LOVED a G8 wagon, had Pontiac survived 6months longer.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Fiat 500e, '14 Honda Pilot, '09 Suzuki Gladius
      10-10-2012 12:59 PM #81
      No, I do not wish that I had a sedan instead. However, if I had a separate business/commuter car, I would get a coupe/sedan mostly on aesthetic/image reasons.

Aside from the '92 Sentra where I learned to drive, I have only owned hatchbacks. Briefly owned an '04 WRX, but went back to a GTI since it was just too much of logistical problem with owning two dogs, being an avid cyclist, and travelling as a pro-cycling mechanic at the time.

Now I have an 18 month old, and she requires a lot of gear--either that or I better get larger biceps and get used to having a cranky baby with dirty diapers.

I think most people that are in some sort of active pursuit that requires gear(cycling, scuba, etc...), have pets, kids just benefit/enjoy the practicality of a "hatcback" of some sort, and that includes suvs, crossovers, and minivans.

I think that Americans do love hatchbacks, they just like them in a larger in the form of the vehicles listed above.
      Last edited by TW@; 10-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 Impreza, '10 Forester, '09 Matchbox Unimog
      10-10-2012 01:04 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      It is a question height vs. depth. With the mk4 Jetta, the trunk makes the car longer than the Golf, giving you the length, but a Golf opts for height. So, you can fit a tall, bulky item in the Golf. but not in a Jetta, whereas you can fit long, flatter items in a Jetta, and probably not in a Golf. I'd wager one is far more likely to be transporting tall, bulky items vs. long flat ones.
      I owned both style MKIVs. It was easier to bring home a 10' 2x4, or a section of gutter in the Jetta than in the Golf because you could brace the length against the very rear wall of the trunk, and then the item would stick out of the front window less. The Jetta was also better at packing suitcases and travel bags.

In the case when you have car seats and it's annoying to remove them, I would lean toward an equal-sized sedan as more usable for day to day use. I schlepped more bulky items in the Jetta that didn't have car seats than in the Golf that had car seats.
      Not an enthusiast.

8. 10-10-2012 01:19 PM #83
      its one of those things where the extra cargo room is better to have and not need , rather than need and not have

as a college student, i move annually/biannually, so yea, every summer or every other summer sux

but then again, i only drive myself, so i've got 3 extra seats i don't use on a daily basis

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R - RB 4Dr, 2013 Audi Allroad
      10-10-2012 01:22 PM #84
      Nope. Went from a Golf to an A4 sedan and just didn't like it. Couldn't find an Avant at the time, and i think if i had i might not have moved on to another hatch so soon. I've always preferred the looks of wagons and hatches to sedans/coupes too. Not having the rear wiper in the rain/winter was hard to get used to as well.

Vehicles
      2009 VW Rabbit; 2015 Honda CBR300r
      10-10-2012 01:24 PM #85
      NEVER!
      Sometimes I wish I had a wagon
      Full time manual transmission elitist
      Part time arm chair CEO

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      10-10-2012 01:24 PM #86
      I drive a sedan but wish I had a hatch instead. Looking forward to the upcoming premium hatches from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.

Vehicles
      Drivers, beaters, bikes
      10-10-2012 01:36 PM #87
      Personally, hell no. Hatch or wagon for me.

Realistically, yes. Why? Because my wife wants a sedan.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-10-2012 05:00 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      IIRC they weren't offered anywhere in the US by Toyota with a manual.
      They exist in the 1st gen but are very rare - in many areas the regional distributor would not order them even though the Toyota configurator showed that it was a valid combination.

Example 2010:
      http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

The current SE/5-door is available in a manual but the availability is restricted in the same way.
      Example 2012:
      http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 Specialized Roubaix
      10-10-2012 05:10 PM #89
      I had a gf that had a mkv Jetta at the same time I had a mkv GTI. The only thing I preferred the Jetta with regards to being a sedan was that more weight was out over the rear wheels so in icy/snowy weather, it was easier to pull the e-brake up quickly, jerk the wheel slightly, and get a nice slide going. (Which was always met with protest by aformentioned ex-gf)

15. 10-10-2012 08:33 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Honestly, I have to wonder why sedans exist sometimes. Even if you prefer the sedan profile, a liftback just makes SO much more sense. I think people are just in the habit of getting sedans, or something. I know preferences are subjective....but every sedan owner I know has had the problem of not being able to fit a bunch of IKEA stuff or a Home Depot run or a friend's bike or something into their car. And then they call me and ask if they can use my 4Runner.
      Because sedans are more "grown up".

Answer to the question: **** no.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-10-2012 08:41 PM #91
      The only reason why I'd ever consider a sedan is if it was some sort of a classic which was only available in 2 or 4-door.

Otherwise, it's a hatchback or a wagon.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2008 TurboX, 2006 S60R, 2004 R32, All 6MT-AWD!
      10-10-2012 08:59 PM #92
      After the flurry of tickets in my Isuzu Impulse Turbo, GTI VR6, and Golf R32, i started driving sedans, and the cops just ignore me.

Sedans are the "middle" demographic and are ubiquitous. What better way to do bad things than by blending in with the herd.

Heck, how many look at my S4 that really looks like an A4 and think, oh yeah that is the one and only 0-60=4.4s AWD 6MT sedan?

Vehicles
      2011 4 door Autobahn GTI
      10-10-2012 09:01 PM #93
      i wish i had an Audi Sedan some times, though i love my GTI it is so hard to keep that back hatch clean.

19. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      10-10-2012 09:01 PM #94
      From what I remember America was crazy for hatchbacks back in the 70's. I remember how GM even made a Cutlass that looked like it was a hatchback but had a conventional trunk instead.

Vehicles
      Silverstone GTI
      10-10-2012 09:43 PM #95
      hatchbacksfl

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      10-10-2012 09:47 PM #96
      I'm not a hatch fan, nor a wagon fan. I don't go out of my way to not buy hatches, but in general, there aren't a lot of hatches that really appeal to me. I suppose I could've bought my TSX in wagon form, but my wife's next car will be an SUv (because she wants one) and I really don't need two utility vehicles. I can borrow any one of several SUVs in the family the 4 times a year I need one.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      10-10-2012 09:56 PM #97
      Never. All I wish for is fewer rattles.

23. Banned
      Vehicles
      If I told you I'd be banned from TCL
      10-10-2012 10:20 PM #98
      I feel the need for a wagon, sedan no

Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX 6MT
      10-10-2012 10:29 PM #99
      3/4 of my cars have been hatches. While my sole sedan (MKIV Jetta) had more cubic feet in the trunk, I rarely drive with more than 2 people, so folding down seats and utilizing vertical space has proven infinitely more useful to me.

Fishtanks, insulation, landscaping materials, tiles and interior finishes, Ikea furniture, a German Shepherd and more are all things my sedan would've been either useless for or more awkward to load and unload.
      Previous in Chronological Order: 2012 VW Golf TDI Highline 6MT | 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS 5MT | 2007 VW Rabbit 2.5 5MT | 1997 Honda CRV 4AT

Vehicles
      2006 GLI
      10-10-2012 11:09 PM #100
      i bought a gli wish i had gone with a gti
      You could always sand it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast