Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hatchback drivers ever wish they had a sedan instead?

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      10-11-2012 06:24 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by spongebob_squarepants View Post
      Do hatchback owners ever find themselves thinking they'd rather have a sedan?
      No. And even worse is once you go wagon... Then you get the benefits of the hatch with the longer body of the sedan. I will never go sedan. Plus, they look funny.

Hatches and wagons are addictive....
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      14 CAAD10 5
      10-11-2012 06:35 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      No. And even worse is once you go wagon... Then you get the benefits of the hatch with the longer body of the sedan. I will never go sedan. Plus, they look funny.

Hatches and wagons are addictive....
      i was actually just going to point this out with my personal experience/opinion

i love how much usable space hatches have. my previous car (as of yesterday) was a mk5 rabbit, and holy **** you have no idea how much ive fit in there! it really has been a life saver. with that said, the only thing i really disliked about the car is that it wasnt AWD and that it wasnt a 4 door. i did some poking around and now i have the best of both worlds. i just picked it up yesterday afternoon

coolWATER

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      10-11-2012 07:14 AM #108
      I wish I had a lockable, no glass, rear storage area. Neither the LandCruiser nor our Pajero have places to put things away from prying eyes. It's a big (huge) drawback.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      10-11-2012 07:32 AM #109
      Hatches are great, sedans are fine, wagons are best in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      '06 SG M3, '98 S70 T5-M
      10-11-2012 09:00 AM #110
      Not a chance.....

a) Fold rear seats flat or remove all-together and I'm able to move 95% of my townhouse....50" TV included
      b) Slap R-comp tires on it and she will give supercar thrills on most roads
      c) Open the exhaust and she'll imitate a mini-Ferrari
      d) Slap Blizzak's on and she will plow through snow drifts others could only dream of getting through....not to mention drifting through the snow all day long
      e) Throw it in 6th and she'll cruise all day happily getting over 30mpg

The R32 is by far and away the most all-around car I have ever owned. Wouldn't trade it for anything
      "I remember thinking on that trip that the E46 M3 owner had no reason to be jealous of any other supercar owner. A large part of me still feels the same" - Chris Harris

SG E46 M3 -
      DBP MkIV .:R - Gone but not forgotten

6. 10-11-2012 09:25 AM #111
      Hatches and wagons are far more useful than a standard sedan. However, with looks being subjective, the masses feel that hatches are juvenile while wagons are just a sad compromise from a sedan.

7. 10-11-2012 09:41 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
      I'm the opposite, I own an Outback which is a complete appliance. We obviously love it from a practicality stand point and use the poop out of the hatch area for Costco & Home Depot runs, on top of hauling all our kids stuff.

That said I just find sedans sexier by far. This is specifically why I choose the sedan for my WRX even when I had the chance to have a hatch. I mean I can't think of a clean rear-end of any current or past Hatch since the MKIV GTi. But I can name a dozen sexy sedans; 04-07 Acura TL, same gen TSX, Integra sedan all years, 90-93 Accord, 89-93 Maxima, E30, E36, E46, E90, Mercedes W204, Lexus IS, Infiniti G37 sedan, the old G20 etc....

For me, I got a sedan in hot rod form because I have my own truck and the Outback when I need to haul anything more than a diaper bag. I mean seriously why buy a coupe also? If I were single and only had one car, yeah probably would buy a hatch. but since I have options today I will take my fun car in coupe or sedan form.
      You know, I actually prefer the hatch to the sedan of the current STi/WRX.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat
      10-11-2012 10:22 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I disagree with all three.
      How can you disagree with the lockable trunk part?

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      10-11-2012 10:54 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by crannky View Post
      You know, I actually prefer the hatch to the sedan of the current STi/WRX.
      I'm opposite, the hatch taillights look goofy. Everytime I look at the hatch version I keep seeing the ugly Outback Sport. When I look at the WRX sedan I see a scaled down E9xx M3 in the body accents and muscular appearance.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      10-11-2012 11:03 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by J2G View Post
      How can you disagree with the lockable trunk part?
      For my two Subaru Outbacks, when the hatch/trunk was locked with the key, it could not be opened either through the power locks, remote, or valet key. It had to be unlocked with the key, providing security.

Anyone can smash the driver's window of my Mazda6 sedan and hit the prominent button to pop the trunk. It's actually much easier than getting into the trunk/hatch of my old Subarus.

Net sedan advantage: 0. It depends on how it's set up.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-11-2012 11:05 AM #116
      Most Hondas have a key lock on the trunk release:
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio • Come make some hard cider

12. Member
      Vehicles
      13' 4-dr GTI
      10-11-2012 11:20 AM #117
      The only thing i like about sedans moreso over a hatch is the look, they can be more distinctive. For instance, i think the STI sedan is far better looking than a STI wagon.

That said, I am a huge hatchback fan, my current car is a 13' GTI 4-door. Would have been very tempted by a JSW TDI if they actually had one on the lot.

The practicality of a hatch is great, it's a baby wagon after all. I like having the ability to put down the back seats and haul or carry a large object on an as-needed basis, while still enjoying a sporting drive for the 99% of the time I don't need the cargo space.

I will never forget back in 2004 I bought a new Acura TSX and then that weekend went to buy a new computer chair. Nothing special, just your typical Officemax leather chair. That sucker would not even come close to fitting in the trunk or backseat. So i took it out of the box and has to cram it into the backseat, my seats all the way forward, and leave the box and packing at the store. Made me realize how nice a small box is for a DD.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat
      10-12-2012 12:46 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      For my two Subaru Outbacks, when the hatch/trunk was locked with the key, it could not be opened either through the power locks, remote, or valet key. It had to be unlocked with the key, providing security.

Anyone can smash the driver's window of my Mazda6 sedan and hit the prominent button to pop the trunk. It's actually much easier than getting into the trunk/hatch of my old Subarus.

Net sedan advantage: 0. It depends on how it's set up.
      On both my Accord and Jetta, you can lock the trunk release in the driver's area and you can lock the rear seats, meaning there's no way to get in without a key or a jackhammer.

My mistake for assuming all sedans had this. Those that do still have the advantage of not having a window to smash.

Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      10-12-2012 01:18 AM #119
      nope. Mind you, I don't have any friends to haul around, so ...
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

15. 10-12-2012 09:57 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
      However, with looks being subjective, the masses feel that hatches are juvenile while wagons are just a sad compromise from a sedan.
      How is a wagon the sad compromise? If anything, the sedan is the sad compromise.

Vehicles
      1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-12-2012 10:33 AM #121
      As cars get larger, sedans look better, as they get smaller, hatches look better, at least in modern times. It used to be that small sedans were proportional and looked good, too.

I love the simple 3 box sedan in 2 or 4 door form.

I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

17. 10-12-2012 10:36 AM #122
      Sedan no. Our commuter is a Ion III and I hate it in every regard.
      Wagon yes. Kids made the hatch (golf, gti) impractical and prompted us to purchase a wagon. Miss that 4 door golf though. I did everything with that car. My favorite was purchasing a Christmas tree. Watching all the expeditions and yukon owners struggle to tie there tree to the roof, I just through down the back seats, slipped the tree in the through the hatch and drove off.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI a.k.a. Blackie, 1995 Golf a.ka. Little Red
      10-12-2012 10:53 PM #123
      Absolutely not! Hatches rule. I can't figure out why you'd want a sedan frankly. I imagine it satisfies some mental image of what a car should look like?

One day at Home depot I walked out with a 4 x 8 sheet of drywall for a little patch job at home . I had an 87 Golf. Two guys in a truck next to me were laughing as I approached, "Get a truck" they said. I took out a mat knife, cut the sheet down the center, folded down the front seat and slid both 8' pieces down to foot well and closed the hatch. "it is a truck" I said.
      I finally fixed my sig

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      10-12-2012 10:58 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Every winter day with that stupid salt spray.

Otherwise, no.
      Really the only issue I have is the same.. any kind of dirt or contaminant always get sucked back to the hatch. Mine gets covered with carbon since I rail on my car alot. Other than that, I have ZERO want for a sedan. I just don't like how small the trunks are, the door openings are too small to get large stuff in, etc. A hatch you just open and dump your stuff in, and go.
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

20. Member
      Vehicles
      VW MKV R32
      10-12-2012 11:17 PM #125
      My R32 is my first hatch and I was afraid I would regret it since previously I only owned sedans. I don't think I have ever regretted it. I do wish I had a 4 door though since I hate climbing in the backseat to get stuff or put the seat up.

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      10-12-2012 11:18 PM #126
      No. I love my MINI. My 9-3's trunk was quite spacious, but all it ever carried anyway was 3 12's.

As much as I love hatchbacks and notchback sedans (9000 Aero is the greatest car ever made), I do not get the wagon thing
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      2008 VW .:R 32, 2014 Ford Fusion SE
      10-12-2012 11:24 PM #127
      last 3 cars were 3 doors, never regretted it for a second. the volumetric efficiency saved me a few times when i had to move oddball stuff too.

Vehicles
      12 BMW 135i, 50 Ford Custom Deluxe
      10-12-2012 11:46 PM #128
      No.

I went from an Audi TT coupe with zero room, to an A4, which was comfortable and good with the 4 doors, but then I moved to an A3 which is the best of both worlds. I've got 4 doors and fit 5 people comfortably just like a sedan, but I love that I can put the seats down and pop the hatch for some serious hauling capability.
      | 40 Ford Panel RIP | 50 Ford Custom Deluxe current | 51 Chevy PU sold | 64 Chevy Belair sold | 67 Mercedes 250S RIP | 76 BMW 2002 sold | 85 Volvo 240dl wagon RIP | 85 BMW 325e sold | 88.5 Suzuki Samurai JX LOL sold | 91 Subaru Legacy sold | 92 BMW 318is RIP | 99 VW GTI sold | 01 Audi TT 225q RIP | 03 Audi A4 3.0q sold | 03 Jaguar 3.0 sold | 05 BMW 330xi sold | 06 Audi A3 sold | 2012 BMW 135i current |

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234