Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Make JSW TDI Handle Like 4DR Golf TDI??

1. 10-10-2012 11:49 AM #1
      So just finished a bunch of test trives:

GTI
      Golf 4 DR TDI (co workers)
      JSW (2009 6 spd)
      JSW (2012 DSG)

My favorite drive was the 4 door Golf TDI w/ DSG. I really liked ho it handled, the JSW was a bit numb for my tastes

...but I loved the space/practicality of the JSW. So the question is...

How do I make the JSW handle like the "sport" susptension on the 4 door TDI? The Golf seems to strike a good balance between the OK handling of the base JSW and the great GTI handling. Lowering is not a primary concern - just after handing.

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      10-10-2012 11:59 AM #2
      Either a good spring/shock package like the H&R cup kit or a coil over kit and a thicker RSB. More aggressive /lover profile tires will help a bit as well.
      Revo Tune / afe Intake / Neuspeed Turbo Exit Pipe / Mufflerectomy / ST Coils / Superpro LCAs / 25mm BFI RSB / Golf R Steering Wheel & Shifter / DG Short Shift Kit / RNS-510 / VWR BBK - MKV R32 Rear Brakes /OEM LED HIDs / VMR V810 / S53 Whispbars / OEM Golf R Front End

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal, Ferrari. But seriously, Ferrari.
      10-10-2012 12:54 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      Either a good spring/shock package like the H&R cup kit or a coil over kit and a thicker RSB. More aggressive /lover profile tires will help a bit as well.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      '13 GolfR & 997
      10-10-2012 03:51 PM #4
      I have ST coilovers on my TDi JSW and it made a world of a differnce, without being too "stiff" feeling

X...

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 03:54 PM #5
      I love my Koni coils and they have adjustable dampening, which is great! Track days I set them to almost full stiffness, and then on the street I put them back to soft.
      Aonarch's Blog!

6. 10-10-2012 04:25 PM #6
      With the Koni coils, height is adjustable too - correct? I'm concerned about too much drop.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 06:17 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Veakswagon View Post
      With the Koni coils, height is adjustable too - correct? I'm concerned about too much drop.
      Yup

WRDUSA is where I got them from. A3 FWD fitment.
      Aonarch's Blog!

8. 10-10-2012 07:42 PM #8
      Thats where I was all confused... the ST coil overs don't have adjustable damping - but both ST and Koni are height adjustable

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      10-10-2012 08:43 PM #9
      Basically, the difference is that the golf has a slightly larger rear sway/anti-roll bar, and stiffer springs that are also lower. The dampers (shocks) may also be tuned differently, and the tires may be a different brand/model and a different size (which makes a huge difference in feel). The front sway bar is likely also larger, but upgrading that just helps you understeer more (which you may want).

If you want cheap, get OEM Euro sport springs for a mk5. They'll put you around the golf's height and give you a similar ride.

I won't recommend other lowering springs because they'll lower you too much (given you previous post) and will eventually wear out your stock shocks.

I won't recommend a cup kit either.. although the ride would be hugely improved over using lowering springs on stock dampers. They typically go pretty low ..

Koni coils are really the best next step up. They ride awesomely, last forever, let you set the height wherever you want, and best of all, you can adjust the damping.

Get a mk5 gti rear sway bar and some 17" wheels with better all season tires (ultra high performance from michelin, continental, or bridgestone), and you'll be set.
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

10. 10-10-2012 09:51 PM #10
      I have Koni's (also from WRDUSA) but I bought the Mk5 Jetta Sedan fitment. After thorough research, it seems that some people who get A3/golf fitment have issues with the rear sagging due to spring rates, whereas those with mk5 jetta sedan do not experience this same issue.

With that being said, I love my Konis. You will end up lowering the suspension, but my ride is damn near stock, and I have my dampers set on medium (out of soft, medium, hard). The ride is just a bit firmer than stock, but you can only really feel it over a bumpy road.

Another option I have heard about is Dune Buggy coilovers by H&R. Don't let the name scare you, the dampers are nearly the same, but allow you to adjust the height above or below stock.