Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: JSW Sales - Down

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI (6M) - 2013 VW JSW TDI (DSG)
      10-10-2012 12:08 PM #1
      According to Volkswagen Group of America, sales of the JSW in September 2012 were up by 14% over the previous year, but in the first nine months of 2012 were down by 21%.

See here: VW Press Release

So, why do you think sales for 3/4 of this year were substantially less than last year?

• No change in the model?
      • Hard to get earlier this year?
      • People want the JSW less?
      • Some other reason(s)?

And, would these lesser sales help anyone get a better price?
      Or would that mean lesser availability?

Finally, even though sales for the first nine months were down by 21%, in September alone they were up by 14%. Is that because the 2013 models are coming here in greater numbers?

Just curious.

Dave, who put down a deposit for a JSW on Monday and should be able to pick it up on Friday
      Last edited by Cycleman; 10-10-2012 at 01:24 PM.

2. Member spongebob_squarepants's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE, '13 Golf 4-Door 2.5L
      10-10-2012 12:49 PM #2
      Maybe the JSW is seeming long in the tooth, or folks who want a hatchback opt for the less expensive Golf? I have no idea really...

I do find it odd that right now all the dealers near me have ten or so TDI JSW's and ZERO 2.5L models. Not sure if maybe Puebla produces them in batches by engine type, or what, but I'm considering a 2.5 SE and there aren't any to be found.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG
      10-10-2012 12:52 PM #3
      I had a hard time finding a 2013...several that I looked at one day were sold the next. Not sure what that means other than I got mine, FTW.
      1984 GTI bought new...Auto X queen
      1977 Rabbit lots of different motors 1700 lbs...fun
      1985 Golf Rally car
      1985 Scirocco Wolfsburg Turbo, bought new, Oettinger head, turbo, BBS
      2013 JSW TDI DSG...current VW...nice to be back in the game!

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      10-10-2012 11:40 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by spongebob_squarepants View Post
      Maybe the JSW is seeming long in the tooth, or folks who want a hatchback opt for the less expensive Golf? I have no idea really...

I do find it odd that right now all the dealers near me have ten or so TDI JSW's and ZERO 2.5L models. Not sure if maybe Puebla produces them in batches by engine type, or what, but I'm considering a 2.5 SE and there aren't any to be found.
      It's been that way for a while, even when I got mine back in 2009, 2.5L were rare. For some reason, the ship way more TDIs in JSW than TDI.

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      10-11-2012 01:44 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by haunted reality View Post
      For some reason, the ship way more TDIs in JSW than TDI.
      because they sell more

I just saw a stat that says 90+ % of the wagons sold in the US are TDI now. The problem early on was that VW never thought they'd sell so many here... silly VWOA
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI Manual
      10-11-2012 01:48 AM #6
      I know that VW stopped producing manual transmission JSW's in about the middle of the 2012 model year, and there were orders to produce these that would have normally been 2012 models that were shifted to early 2013 models (such as my car). So this may have caused a sales bump in August/September when the 2013 MT's arrived and were quickly delivered to waiting owners. The MT models are a minority of sales though, so this is mostly likely not the only reason for the increase.

7. Member spongebob_squarepants's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE, '13 Golf 4-Door 2.5L
      10-11-2012 03:25 AM #7
      I understand that they sell TDI's over gassers roughly 4 to 1, but TDI's aren't for everybody. I owned a TDI for seven years. They have their advantages, but I just don't drive enough for a TDI these days. And honestly, I *like* the 2.5L's oddball exhaust note and it's a very reliable engine.

Value-wise, the 2.5L is a better fit for me. I just wish dealers had a few.

I also think sales are down because incentives on JSW are nil next to GTI / Golf / Jetta / Passat / Tiguan. 0% for 60 on '12 models is it right now, while other models have some lease incentives such as lease cash or special money factor.

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      10-11-2012 04:09 AM #8
      incentives are placed on cars that need higher sales... usually... no?

I wish the 2.0t SportWagen was still available. Other than initial price, that's a much better option than the 2.5, and even the tdi sometimes. The 2.0t regularly sees over 30mpg on highways, and has a lot more power potential.

Oh well..
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      10-11-2012 08:41 AM #9
      I drove a completely base 2013 JSW the other day. (5MT 2.5 S)

Nice car. I was in a short loop and was avoiding traffic, so I didn't get up on a freeway. Though I usually get about 4-5 miles on a limited access road during my daily commute, most of the test loop was like what I usually drive in. Seems perfectly suited for the short trips I would most often be taking in an S.

One thing that makes the car more versatile is hill hold, which really does work, even on manuals. My wife is very concerned about drifting backwards into a tailgater. This would fairly address her concern.

I like the practicality and expected durability of the 2.5 drivetrain. It may not get TDI mileage, but it burns regular 87 octane gas. EPA says that an S costs $300 more per year in fuel. (I'm going to ignore maintenance costs...which likely favor the S over the TDI due to the relative differences in mechanical complexity). The calculus here says TDIs are best if you drive more than what EPA thinks is normal. If you drive less, the numbers favor the S.

What's not to like? The audio system is downgraded (e.g. 8 vs. 10 speakers), but I'm not sure how much more that system has been stripped down. Some may not like the cloth, or the Henry Ford interior color palate ("any color you want, as long as it's black). You won't get a sunroof of any kind, either. Most anything else that's missing from a higher trim line can be put back on easily if you want to.

To the OP's point about lower sales...I can't explain why the JSW doesn't have more appeal. The MK V chassis is sound. The MK VI styling and electronics are appealing to me. The content/quality of material seems better than a MK VI Jetta and on par with a MK VI Golf. Though I wouldn't discount the bias against wagons, I doubt the decline is based on the car itself.

Perhaps the explanation has something to do with diesel sales, in general. US diesel sales seem to track with upward spikes in gas prices. Prices at the moment are high, but also relatively stable...so there probably isn't a diesel panic to spur sales.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 09:24 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Perhaps the explanation has something to do with diesel sales, in general. US diesel sales seem to track with upward spikes in gas prices. Prices at the moment are high, but also relatively stable...so there probably isn't a diesel panic to spur sales.
      And yet, the VW press release says that nearly one-quarter of their September 2012 sales were of diesel vehicles.

Ah, in general, I think the US car-buying public is more and more looking for better mileage vehicles -- for now, defined as ones that get about 40 MPG on the highway. And it seems there are three ways to go to get that:

• Hybrid sedans and one wagon (Prius V)
      • New-technology sedans (such as the Mazda 3)
      • Diesel sedans, hatchbacks and one wagon (JSW)

No SUV, even the smaller "crossover" types, get mileage in the 40 MPG range.

So, and here I'm preaching to the choir, the three reasons we ordered a JSW TDI were:

• Good mileage
      • Good room
      • Good handling

There's NO other vehicle on the market that combines the three -- none.

Two out of three, for sure. The aforementioned Prius V (although not as much room), say, or a Porsche Cayenne (ah, even if I had the money, I don't think I'd really want one).

What say you?

Dave, the OP who is very excited to be picking up his new JSW tomorrow hopefully

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      10-11-2012 09:58 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Cycleman View Post
      And yet, the VW press release says that nearly one-quarter of their September 2012 sales were of diesel vehicles.
      Jettas and Passats, I suppose, which are the big sellers, anyway.

Also, re: "preaching to the choir...". This would be the choir room!

AndWhat say you?

Dave, the OP who is very excited to be picking up his new JSW tomorrow hopefully
      Get some paint shield on it as soon as you can. And congrats. You'll love the TDI...it's a lot of fun to drive.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 10:08 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Get some paint shield on it as soon as you can.
      What kind of paint shield?

Not sure what you mean here.

Is there a specific brand? Is that a service I'd look for?

Dave, who has not used paint shield on the Honda CR-V or Acura TSX he has sold or on the Toyota RAV4 he's trading in for the JSW or on the VW GTI he's keeping

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      10-11-2012 05:42 PM #13
      What kind of paint shield?

Not sure what you mean here.

Is there a specific brand? Is that a service I'd look for?

Dave, who has not used paint shield on the Honda CR-V or Acura TSX he has sold or on the Toyota RAV4 he's trading in for the JSW or on the VW GTI he's keeping
      3M calls it paint shield. Venture is another brand, but is owned by 3M. Collectively these are often called clear bra, which is a term I would only approve of in a Victoria's Secret type of context. In the context of a car, it's there for protection, not support. There's probably a more apt comparison, but I'm NOT going there.

I don't care for chipped paint, hence the recommendation.
      Last edited by Outrider6; 10-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.

14. n00b
      10-14-2012 06:11 PM #14
      I think the reason sales are down this year is that VW doesn't seem to be doing much promotion of the JSW. I recently ordered one, and I'm really excited about it, but I feel like I found out about this model almost by accident.

I am the owner of a 1997 Toyota Camry with 123K miles. I work out of my home and I don't do a lot of driving (7 to 8K a year) and I really don’t spend a lot of time thinking about cars (hence the Camry). About a year ago I started looking at cars since my very reliable Camry is starting to rust out and will soon need some repairs. I originally thought I wanted a small car, like a Focus, but that seemed too small. I don't need a big back seat, but I liked the idea of something that could carry larger items that would be hard to fit in our other car (a sedan). I have been looking at crossovers, like the new Ford Escape and the Honda CRV, but I couldn't really get excited about a crossover, since I think the are kind of ugly and tend to have blind spots (the Ford Escape especially), and for some reason I don't like riding up high.

In the meantime, we rented a Passat while on vacation and since I liked it I decided to give the VW models a look. I hadn't looked at VW because I had heard the Passat and Jetta had been dumbed down for the American market. Once I looked at the VW website I realized what I was really looking for was a small wagon. I was really pleasantly surprised when I test drove the JSW how nice the interior was for a car in that price range. I also love being able to put the back seat down and load my bike with the front wheel off, or bushes from the nursery, or whatever. I also like the great visibility (one of biggest pet peeves about new models is the high window sills which make it harder to see out).
      I think VW really has positioned the JSW as a car for people who want great mileage from the diesel engine, and they're missing the market for people like me who love the size and style of the vehicle. Nothing wrong with great mileage, but since I don't do a lot of driving I couldn't justify the extra expense of the diesel. Since they don't make many gas JSWs, I ended up ordering my car rather than taking one from the lot (I've waited this long for a new car, so I thought I might as well get just what I want) I ordered a toffee brown 2.5L with corn silk seats and no sun roof or navi in early Sept. My dealer says I should have it in early December.

Since I ordered my car I've heard that WV will discontinue manufacturing the JSW some time this fall. My dealer tells me not to worry, my car will come in December, but should I be?

Assuming my car eventually comes, I feel lucky I was able to find the JSW, but it wasn't an easy process for someone who isn't especially into cars.

15. 10-14-2012 08:39 PM #15
      I am looking forward to VW either :

1. Making JSW larger
      2. At least changing the styling , I like the look of the new Jetta as it looks like a Passat - do not like front end look of JSW - current JSW been around a while
      3. Both 1 and 2
      4. Jetta Alltrack

Have a '12 Passat now and really love it - but really want a wagon (had '08 Passat wagon) and I know my only hope is that VW will keep and expand the Jetta lineup - doubt we will ever see wagon based on Passat again

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI Manual
      10-14-2012 09:45 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Not a gearhead View Post
      I ordered a toffee brown 2.5L with corn silk seats and no sun roof or navi in early Sept. My dealer says I should have it in early December.

Since I ordered my car I've heard that WV will discontinue manufacturing the JSW some time this fall. My dealer tells me not to worry, my car will come in December, but should I be?
      What does your dealer say about the current status of the order? They should be able and willing to look it up for you. Basically, if the status is in "Vehicle Assigned" or later status, your car should make it before the end of production. However, I'd be happier with "Release to Manufacture" or "Release to Production" status. Earlier rumors had said that production of JSWs already ended about a month ago, but I don't think they were correct.

Copied from another thread (on myturbodiesel website):

Detailed Order Status

The ordering dealer can see a whole bunch of dates on the page that also contain the customer's private information. Since customer information is protected, only the SELLING DEALER can see detailed dates for an order marked as a "Sold Order." Below are the statuses, what they mean, and how they correspond to the Order Stages above that every dealer can see in the vehicle locator.

ORDER ENTRY - Date the selling dealer enters the order

MARKED SOLD ORDER - Date the order is officially made as a sold order. Some orders may have later sold dates if they start out as stock and are sold later.

VEHICLE ASSIGNED - Date the car is assigned to the dealer from VWoA. Some are assigned to dealers from a pool of already built vehicles.

RELEASE TO MANUF - This is when the order gets allocation assigned. The first step in the process and shows up as FACTORY ORDER BANK.

RELEASE FOR PRODUCTION - Vehicle now shows as PRODUCTION STOCK and is inline at the factory waiting to be built.

FACTORY INSPECTED - Date the car rolls off the production line. It also now shows as INTRANSIT FROM FACTORY.

DEPARTURE PORT ARRIVED - Date the vehicle arrives at Emden to be placed on a ship.

SHIP LOADED - Date the vehicle is placed on the ship.

PORT ARRIVED - Date of US Port arrival. SHows as PORT STOCK in vehicle locator system.

DEALER INVOICE - Date dealer is formally invoiced for the vehicle

PORT HOLD END - Some cars may get held at the port - this is the date they are scheduled to be released from the port.

REL TO CARRIER - Date the vehicle is released from the port to the trucking company for transport to the dealer.

RAIL LOAD - (Mostly for central states) - Cars are train shipped from a port to a central holding area (Chicago)? This is the date they are loaded onto the rail cars.

RAIL UNLOAD - Date vehicle arrives at the central holding area and is unloaded from the train.

TRUCK LOAD - Date the vehicle is loaded on a truck to be shipped to the dealer. Shows as INTRANSIT INLAND on vehicle locator.

DEALER DELIVERED - Date the car has arrived at your dealer!

17. 10-14-2012 10:50 PM #17
      There is a Passat Wagon. Only for gayarse euro****s though I'm afraid. http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/passat-estate-vii/home

$hit, my Dad says (where have I heard that before) you can even get a Chevy Cruze in a wagon in Europe. With a diesel. And a stick shift. My Dad's a gayarse euro****. I live in the USA where the general populace hates wagons. So sad.

Vehicles
      10-15-2012 07:30 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor View Post
      So sad.
      That does describe the tone of your post, little Guvnor.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      10-15-2012 07:36 PM #19
      who cares.
      the less wagens i see rolling about the better
      Quote Originally Posted by ujelly View Post
      i wuld just lower it bc i will buy lowers b4 i even by it looks great like dat bc they all are so high but when yoi lower it makes it better that you think

10-15-2012 09:15 PM #20
      I think sales are down because the sales folks at dealerships tell the line "there isn't much mark-up so we can't sell below MSRP.". I walked out of three dealerships for that. Emailed them all and general managers when I got my wife's jsw a few days later for a couple grand below invoice. I can't believe they try to tell us no one will sell below MSRP or invoice and say the cars don't stay on the lot that long. Call me crazy for holding out, but the same silver and black jsw's are still sitting on their lots months later.
      2012 Jetta Sportwagen 4dr DSG TDI - wife
      2012 Golf 2dr HB Man TDI w/ Tech Pkg - mine

21. n00b
      10-15-2012 09:35 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenn JSW View Post
      What does your dealer say about the current status of the order? They should be able and willing to look it up for you. Basically, if the status is in "Vehicle Assigned" or later status, your car should make it before the end of production. However, I'd be happier with "Release to Manufacture" or "Release to Production" status. Earlier rumors had said that production of JSWs already ended about a month ago, but I don't think they were correct.

Copied from another thread (on myturbodiesel website):
      Thanks, Kenn JSW, for this information. It's very helpful! I will contact my dealer to get the current status. My dealer didn't try to talk me into taking one of the gas models they had in stock, but I was starting to worry that maybe I should have compromised on color/options.