The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refreshed Yet Again : 2013 Toyota Corolla

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      10-10-2012 07:21 PM #26
      Next summer.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

2. 10-10-2012 07:37 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      What the hell? I though this was supposed to be the all new 2013 Corolla.

Naaah, that's the 2013 Civic

10-10-2012 07:41 PM #28
      This would be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      10-10-2012 07:47 PM #29
      I prefer the look of the 09-11

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      10-10-2012 07:50 PM #30
      I prefer walking

Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-10-2012 07:54 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Someone is attacking the Corolla. How do you expect me to stay calm at a time like this?
      Oh man I laughed so hard at this.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-10-2012 07:56 PM #32
      yeah, no thanks.

8. 10-10-2012 10:02 PM #33
      Not bad but a lot of compact cars in this class I would take over this.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-10-2012 10:06 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      This would be nice...
      I'd do one of these:
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2004 Saab 93
      10-10-2012 10:08 PM #35
      Corolla makes a great 2nd car to own/lease with low insurance payments and smooth ride so that you can own a bad ass high hp sports car to drive on the weekends/sunny days.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      10-10-2012 10:09 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
      Not bad but a lot of compact cars in this class I would take over this.
      Pretty much all of them, I'd think. Maybe not the Lancer, if that still exists. Even the new Sentra is more appealing.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      10-10-2012 10:55 PM #37
      Does it still drives like a golf cart?

Vehicles
      '12 Mini Clubman S
      10-11-2012 01:20 AM #38
      Why are you making threads for these old facelifts? The Phantoms and this were rolled out months ago...

It even says in that article that the 2013 Corolla would go on sale "later this summer," which already happened

14. 10-26-2012 04:49 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by S4cabriofox View Post
      Why are you making threads for these old facelifts? The Phantoms and this were rolled out months ago...

It even says in that article that the 2013 Corolla would go on sale "later this summer," which already happened
      No one made threads about them ,and I just found out about them so whats the big deal if it bugs you , you can always just skip over my "old" threads

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-26-2012 05:33 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by KARMANN_20V View Post
      Naaah, that's the 2013 Civic
      Is there a difference?

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-26-2012 06:38 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      They could fill the trunk with cow **** and still sell a ton of them.
      Exactemente.

Throw all of the sarcasm we want, but the reality is the brand name is platinum to many... around the world. And because of Toyota's talent for commonality in design and process... these facelifts mean one thing - profits. They barely change a damn thing (little investment) and gain a lot (ROI).

It's hard to argue that if you are a shareholder. The formula works. It's not their fault if people/consumers believe in the formula.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI and a 2014 VW Tiguan 4 Motion SE
      10-26-2012 07:45 AM #42
      *Yawn*
      Toyotas are made by business men and actuaries in suits using excel spreadsheets and mathematical formulas. The concepts are then presented to the Toyota's board using black and white powerpoint presentations filled with graphs and pie charts. Once the board is sufficiently asleep, dazed or hypnotized, the presenters get the go ahead to continue to make the most plain-jane, boring cars on the market.

But one cannot fault them for doing so- they sell a ton of those cars because their cheap and reliable (and there are a lot of really boring people in the world). And since Toyota isn't trying anything "different", they can turn their attentions to their engines and powertrains and make them rock-solid.

You then get other companies saying "Well, the Toyotas look like a butter sandwich made with white bread, but let's go ahead and pull the engine and drop it into our car".

And you get Lotus. And you get the new BRZ.

So, I fault Toyota for perpetuating the ho-hum daily driver that goes from point A to point B with absolutely no inspiration or attention to fun and excitement, but I must thank them for the engineering of their near bullet proof engines and powertrains.
      ///”VDUBkill 2:0 – The path of 2.0T is beset on all sides by the injustice of the speed trap and the Plague of the Prius drivers. But blessed is he who in the name of disparity overwhelmeth the exotic in the valley of the s-bends. And I shall strike down upon thee with great revs and furious acceleration those who attempt to obstruct or delay my overtaking and you will know my engine is turbocharged when I lay my powerband upon thee.”

18. 10-26-2012 08:54 AM #43
      I think VW has learned from Toyota that boring & plain sells well. The new Jetta and the Passat is proving that to them. So like it or not the Corolla which holds the most sold vehicle title in the whole world is teaching everyone how to do it. I owe a 99 Corolla that I use as a DD, bought it for $1300 one owner with 89 k miles, 205,000 later I have only changed brake pads and tires on it, everything else is still factory on it!!!

That is the main reason people buy these car..........reliable and economical transportation.

People shopping for these are not looking for anything over the top looking and can care less how faster their counterparts are on this segment. At the end of the day and 8-10 years later that same toyota is still on the road selling for a premium while the competition well.....are sitting at salvage yards.

That my friend is the difference bewteeen the Corolla and the rest of the world.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      10-26-2012 09:20 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Seppdelaney View Post
      And you get the new BRZ.
      The FR-S/BRZ is actually a Subaru engine in a Subaru chassis, with the exception of Toyota's fuel injection system, transmission, and diff. The design and product planning was headed by Toyota engineers led by Tetsuya Tada and greenlit by Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda. Their corporate culture isn't as stodgy as you think - Akio Toyoda is an actual car guy. He's a pragmatist who understands the boring side of the business, but his own personal ride is a matte black LF-A.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325 / 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / to be determined
      10-26-2012 11:31 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      This would be nice...

looks like a Matrix w/ diff wheels

Vehicles
      '12 Mini Clubman S
      10-26-2012 11:31 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      No one made threads about them ,and I just found out about them so whats the big deal if it bugs you , you can always just skip over my "old" threads
      Okay, fair enough. I just found it odd because I've already been seeing these Corollas on the road for months--it's not "news." And now you've bumped it again after 2 weeks.

22. 10-26-2012 11:34 AM #47
      I have driven a current Corolla and it felt very loose and floaty. To be fair the early 1990's Corolla I drove recently was not any better. I wish Toyota would make a Scion FR-S shooting brake or 3 door hatch to make it more practical.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      10-26-2012 11:43 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      I have driven a current Corolla and it felt very loose and floaty. To be fair the early 1990's Corolla I drove recently was not any better. I wish Toyota would make a Scion FR-S shooting brake or 3 door hatch to make it more practical.
      The '03-07ish Corolla was probably the most boring looking one but the best driver (since the '80s anyway). The XRS model with the 2ZZ-GE 180hp engine was almost believably sporty. My wife had a 2001 Corolla S when we met, it was horrible. I eventually put KYB struts on it and it wasn't bad after that, but only compared to a stock Civic or something.

But all through those eras there were good Corollas overseas. There was a 160-170hp 1.6L 20-valve engine which came in a Corolla coupe in Japan and a hatch in Europe all through the '90s, and those cars were pretty decent.

24. 10-26-2012 12:03 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      The '03-07ish Corolla was probably the most boring looking one but the best driver (since the '80s anyway). The XRS model with the 2ZZ-GE 180hp engine was almost believably sporty. My wife had a 2001 Corolla S when we met, it was horrible. I eventually put KYB struts on it and it wasn't bad after that, but only compared to a stock Civic or something.

But all through those eras there were good Corollas overseas. There was a 160-170hp 1.6L 20-valve engine which came in a Corolla coupe in Japan and a hatch in Europe all through the '90s, and those cars were pretty decent.

I guess the modern day equivalent of these cars is the Scion tC. I hope with the next Corolla they make it drive slightly nicer but most likely they will not. At least people have the option of Scion tC and FR-S if they want something less boring then a Corolla. I still wish the FR-S was offered with a hatch to make it more practical though. The trunk that it has is really small and useless.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-26-2012 01:00 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      I guess the modern day equivalent of these cars is the Scion tC. I hope with the next Corolla they make it drive slightly nicer but most likely they will not. At least people have the option of Scion tC and FR-S if they want something less boring then a Corolla. I still wish the FR-S was offered with a hatch to make it more practical though. The trunk that it has is really small and useless.
      The tC's liftback is awesome, and would have been the perfect addition to the FR-S.

I like the tC a lot, actually, save for the stupid glass roof. If you could get it without that, it'd be worth a look from me given its practicality.

If the FR-S had the liftback, I'd be completely and utterly sold to the point of digging out one of my kidneys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast