VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refreshed Yet Again : 2013 Toyota Corolla

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-10-2012 10:09 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
      Not bad but a lot of compact cars in this class I would take over this.
      Pretty much all of them, I'd think. Maybe not the Lancer, if that still exists. Even the new Sentra is more appealing.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      10-10-2012 10:55 PM #37
      Does it still drives like a golf cart?

Vehicles
      '12 Mini Clubman S
      10-11-2012 01:20 AM #38
      Why are you making threads for these old facelifts? The Phantoms and this were rolled out months ago...

It even says in that article that the 2013 Corolla would go on sale "later this summer," which already happened

4. 10-26-2012 04:49 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by S4cabriofox View Post
      Why are you making threads for these old facelifts? The Phantoms and this were rolled out months ago...

It even says in that article that the 2013 Corolla would go on sale "later this summer," which already happened
      No one made threads about them ,and I just found out about them so whats the big deal if it bugs you , you can always just skip over my "old" threads

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-26-2012 05:33 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by KARMANN_20V View Post
      Naaah, that's the 2013 Civic
      Is there a difference?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-26-2012 06:38 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      They could fill the trunk with cow **** and still sell a ton of them.
      Exactemente.

Throw all of the sarcasm we want, but the reality is the brand name is platinum to many... around the world. And because of Toyota's talent for commonality in design and process... these facelifts mean one thing - profits. They barely change a damn thing (little investment) and gain a lot (ROI).

It's hard to argue that if you are a shareholder. The formula works. It's not their fault if people/consumers believe in the formula.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI and a 2014 VW Tiguan 4 Motion SE
      10-26-2012 07:45 AM #42
      *Yawn*
      Toyotas are made by business men and actuaries in suits using excel spreadsheets and mathematical formulas. The concepts are then presented to the Toyota's board using black and white powerpoint presentations filled with graphs and pie charts. Once the board is sufficiently asleep, dazed or hypnotized, the presenters get the go ahead to continue to make the most plain-jane, boring cars on the market.

But one cannot fault them for doing so- they sell a ton of those cars because their cheap and reliable (and there are a lot of really boring people in the world). And since Toyota isn't trying anything "different", they can turn their attentions to their engines and powertrains and make them rock-solid.

You then get other companies saying "Well, the Toyotas look like a butter sandwich made with white bread, but let's go ahead and pull the engine and drop it into our car".

And you get Lotus. And you get the new BRZ.

So, I fault Toyota for perpetuating the ho-hum daily driver that goes from point A to point B with absolutely no inspiration or attention to fun and excitement, but I must thank them for the engineering of their near bullet proof engines and powertrains.
      ///”VDUBkill 2:0 – The path of 2.0T is beset on all sides by the injustice of the speed trap and the Plague of the Prius drivers. But blessed is he who in the name of disparity overwhelmeth the exotic in the valley of the s-bends. And I shall strike down upon thee with great revs and furious acceleration those who attempt to obstruct or delay my overtaking and you will know my engine is turbocharged when I lay my powerband upon thee.”

8. 10-26-2012 08:54 AM #43
      I think VW has learned from Toyota that boring & plain sells well. The new Jetta and the Passat is proving that to them. So like it or not the Corolla which holds the most sold vehicle title in the whole world is teaching everyone how to do it. I owe a 99 Corolla that I use as a DD, bought it for $1300 one owner with 89 k miles, 205,000 later I have only changed brake pads and tires on it, everything else is still factory on it!!!

That is the main reason people buy these car..........reliable and economical transportation.

People shopping for these are not looking for anything over the top looking and can care less how faster their counterparts are on this segment. At the end of the day and 8-10 years later that same toyota is still on the road selling for a premium while the competition well.....are sitting at salvage yards.

That my friend is the difference bewteeen the Corolla and the rest of the world.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-26-2012 09:20 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Seppdelaney View Post
      And you get the new BRZ.
      The FR-S/BRZ is actually a Subaru engine in a Subaru chassis, with the exception of Toyota's fuel injection system, transmission, and diff. The design and product planning was headed by Toyota engineers led by Tetsuya Tada and greenlit by Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda. Their corporate culture isn't as stodgy as you think - Akio Toyoda is an actual car guy. He's a pragmatist who understands the boring side of the business, but his own personal ride is a matte black LF-A.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325 / 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2007 Trailblazer SS
      10-26-2012 11:31 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      This would be nice...

looks like a Matrix w/ diff wheels

Vehicles
      '12 Mini Clubman S
      10-26-2012 11:31 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      No one made threads about them ,and I just found out about them so whats the big deal if it bugs you , you can always just skip over my "old" threads
      Okay, fair enough. I just found it odd because I've already been seeing these Corollas on the road for months--it's not "news." And now you've bumped it again after 2 weeks.

12. 10-26-2012 11:34 AM #47
      I have driven a current Corolla and it felt very loose and floaty. To be fair the early 1990's Corolla I drove recently was not any better. I wish Toyota would make a Scion FR-S shooting brake or 3 door hatch to make it more practical.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-26-2012 11:43 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      I have driven a current Corolla and it felt very loose and floaty. To be fair the early 1990's Corolla I drove recently was not any better. I wish Toyota would make a Scion FR-S shooting brake or 3 door hatch to make it more practical.
      The '03-07ish Corolla was probably the most boring looking one but the best driver (since the '80s anyway). The XRS model with the 2ZZ-GE 180hp engine was almost believably sporty. My wife had a 2001 Corolla S when we met, it was horrible. I eventually put KYB struts on it and it wasn't bad after that, but only compared to a stock Civic or something.

But all through those eras there were good Corollas overseas. There was a 160-170hp 1.6L 20-valve engine which came in a Corolla coupe in Japan and a hatch in Europe all through the '90s, and those cars were pretty decent.

14. 10-26-2012 12:03 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      The '03-07ish Corolla was probably the most boring looking one but the best driver (since the '80s anyway). The XRS model with the 2ZZ-GE 180hp engine was almost believably sporty. My wife had a 2001 Corolla S when we met, it was horrible. I eventually put KYB struts on it and it wasn't bad after that, but only compared to a stock Civic or something.

But all through those eras there were good Corollas overseas. There was a 160-170hp 1.6L 20-valve engine which came in a Corolla coupe in Japan and a hatch in Europe all through the '90s, and those cars were pretty decent.

I guess the modern day equivalent of these cars is the Scion tC. I hope with the next Corolla they make it drive slightly nicer but most likely they will not. At least people have the option of Scion tC and FR-S if they want something less boring then a Corolla. I still wish the FR-S was offered with a hatch to make it more practical though. The trunk that it has is really small and useless.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-26-2012 01:00 PM #50
      I guess the modern day equivalent of these cars is the Scion tC. I hope with the next Corolla they make it drive slightly nicer but most likely they will not. At least people have the option of Scion tC and FR-S if they want something less boring then a Corolla. I still wish the FR-S was offered with a hatch to make it more practical though. The trunk that it has is really small and useless.
      The tC's liftback is awesome, and would have been the perfect addition to the FR-S.

I like the tC a lot, actually, save for the stupid glass roof. If you could get it without that, it'd be worth a look from me given its practicality.

If the FR-S had the liftback, I'd be completely and utterly sold to the point of digging out one of my kidneys.

Vehicles
      2014 GTI Drivers Ed Edition, black/dust, non-manly DSG, 2009 Honda Element EX. blue w/ bird ****
      10-26-2012 01:04 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      They could fill the trunk with cow **** and still sell a ton of them.
      At least that might make the Corolla a little more interesting.

Vehicles
      91 BMW E30, 83 Peugeot 505, 92 Volvo 245
      10-26-2012 01:12 PM #52
      ok no.
      -Sina P.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI - Crusier & Restoration with dad
      1991 BMW 318i/4 E30 - Daily & Go-fast car
      1992 Volvo 245 - All rarely unicorn spec'd, OEM sans suspension.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-26-2012 01:22 PM #53
      I guess the modern day equivalent of these cars is the Scion tC.
      No, the modern equivalent is the Corolla hatch, aka Toyota Auris/Blade, that they sell in Europe and Japan.

The tC is a US-market-only product which pretty much replaced the base model Celica.
      Last edited by AKADriver; 10-26-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      10-26-2012 02:19 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by shaykes View Post
      Corolla makes a great 2nd car to own/lease with low insurance payments and smooth ride so that you can own a bad ass high hp sports car to drive on the weekends/sunny days.
      Almost every single Corolla competitor also ticks all of those boxes while being better to look at, sit in, and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      10-26-2012 03:04 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by shaykes View Post
      Corolla makes a great 2nd car to own/lease with low insurance payments and smooth ride so that you can own a bad ass high hp sports car to drive on the weekends/sunny days.
      I don't know the insurance rate of Corolla in USA, but in Ontario (specially Toronto), Corolla is among the most expensive to insure for an economy car. (exclude the driver record) In Ontario (may be the whole Canada), the most important factor to determine a car's premium is "claim rate". Horse power is actually not that important. Driver's address and price of car are more important than HP.

Use my record as example, here are the premium of each cars i quoted (RBC):
      (all full coverage, 300/500 deductable)
      MY2007 S2000 = $175/month
      MY2007 Corvette Z06 = $150 (a 500hp car!!)
      MY2007 Civic Si coupe = $230
      MY2007 C63 sedan = $215
      MY2007 Corolla = $210
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

21. 10-26-2012 04:01 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      No, the modern equivalent is the Corolla hatch, aka Toyota Auris/Blade, that they sell in Europe and Japan.

The tC is a US-market-only product which pretty much replaced the base model Celica.
      I always forget there is a Auris hatch over in Europe. Is it a decent car and how well does compete with VW Golf? I think Toyota at this point should just invest in expanding the GT86/FRS line up. Besides the coupe model, they should have a 3/5 door hatch version, a convertible, and maybe a sedan with multiple engine options. It seems like Corolla customers like the way the car is and there is no point in trying to make it sporty. I could see the GT-86/FR-S becoming a bargain BMW 1 series if they expanded the line up like that.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-26-2012 04:27 PM #57
      I always forget there is a Auris hatch over in Europe. Is it a decent car and how well does compete with VW Golf? I think Toyota at this point should just invest in expanding the GT86/FRS line up. Besides the coupe model, they should have a 3/5 door hatch version, a convertible, and maybe a sedan with multiple engine options. It seems like Corolla customers like the way the car is and there is no point in trying to make it sporty. I could see the GT-86/FR-S becoming a bargain BMW 1 series if they expanded the line up like that.
      It'd be nice to have another Altezza-sized RWD sedan/wagon now that the IS250/350 is so much bigger.

Definite yes to the hatch option (they did it with all of the other RWD Corollas, why not this time?).

Convertible would probably be a smart and easy sell.

23. 10-26-2012 04:37 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      It'd be nice to have another Altezza-sized RWD sedan/wagon now that the IS250/350 is so much bigger.

Definite yes to the hatch option (they did it with all of the other RWD Corollas, why not this time?).

Convertible would probably be a smart and easy sell.
      I hate how conservative Toyota is being on the GT86 project. They really need to have more faith that there is still a market for small RWD cars. The BMW 1 series does fairly well sales wise and you would think Toyota would want to try to undercut them.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Mini Cooper S, '94 Miata
      10-26-2012 04:48 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      I don't know the insurance rate of Corolla in USA, but in Ontario (specially Toronto), Corolla is among the most expensive to insure for an economy car. (exclude the driver record) In Ontario (may be the whole Canada), the most important factor to determine a car's premium is "claim rate". Horse power is actually not that important. Driver's address and price of car are more important than HP.

MY2007 C63 sedan = $215
      MY2007 Corolla = $210
      Man ,that is bass ackwards Fastest car is the least expensive and slowest car is the most (of the sporty kind).

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      10-26-2012 04:59 PM #60
      not bad at all

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      10-26-2012 05:32 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post

MY2007 C63 sedan = $215
      MY2007 Corolla = $210
      Are you 40?

Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-26-2012 05:52 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyWRX View Post
      Man ,that is bass ackwards Fastest car is the least expensive and slowest car is the most (of the sporty kind).
      Its not just about the car's power/speed; there are also repair costs and theft rates to consider, among other variables. For example, when I was 20 years old I sold my LS1 Z28 camaro and bought a Volvo S70 T5. The insurance on the volvo was a bit higher than it was on the camaro, even though it was down 100hp, had 2 more doors, and was a freakin volvo.

Even going from my 400hp GTO to my GTI with half the juice, my insurance only went down $10/mo.

That being said, I do have a small speeding ticket problem, so maybe im not the best example.

10-26-2012 05:57 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyWRX View Post
      There are many more Corolla owners out there causing accidents and finding the car stolen than Z06 owners.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      10-26-2012 06:09 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      There are many more Corolla owners out there causing accidents and finding the car stolen than Z06 owners.
      It's the same with Civics. I made the mistake of buying my '03 Civic Si a few months before I turned 25. For those few months, my monthly insurance bill was more than my $245 car payment (I think it was about $280!). When I turned 25 it dropped in half.

The Yaris is apparently pretty expensive to insure because they are almost always totaled out, even in minor collisions. Now, at age 33, as a homeowner with a graduate degree and excellent credit, I pay $107 a month for full coverage on two cars with two drivers in a crime-prone zip code.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

30. Member
      10-26-2012 08:44 PM #65
      Refresh all the want.. early 80's and early-mid 90's corollas were the nicest looking !

31. 10-27-2012 09:51 PM #66
      The new 11th generation Corolla sedan is on sale in Japan where it is called the Corolla Altis,is is very boring looking,much worse than the current model,so that it can appeal more to OLDER people...

32. 10-27-2012 11:03 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by anthonymindel View Post
      The new 11th generation Corolla sedan is on sale in Japan where it is called the Corolla Altis,is is very boring looking,much worse than the current model,so that it can appeal more to OLDER people...
      http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-cant-have-it/
      It does look like a very boring car to own and it looks cheap. Now I see why the Prius and the Aqua sell so well in Japan if this is the alternative. Toyota really needs to build a new Altezza sedan and hatch based off of the GT86's platform.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      04 W8 6spd Wagon
      10-28-2012 12:57 PM #68
      I loved my 1993 Base model. Only options being clock, AC. No even a tape deck. Only weighed 2305 LBS. 0-60 was 8.8s. I still kinda miss it. Never had an issue with it.

My sister had a 1998, VE, that things was always in the shop.
      Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      10-28-2012 01:12 PM #69
      Snoozefest.
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

Vehicles
      2010 CTS-V
      10-28-2012 01:29 PM #70
      They can probably milk this design for another couple of years. Margins must be huge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast