Refreshed Yet Again : 2013 Toyota Corolla

21K views 82 replies 53 participants last post by  BetterByDesign 
#1 ·
Looks like a new grille ,and some interior nav updates

See less See more
G
#4 ·
From Kicking Tires:

When the 2013 Toyota Corolla goes on sale later this summer, it will start at $17,025, including a $795 destination fee. That's a $100 increase in the MSRP and a $35 increase in the destination fee.

The 2013 Toyota Corolla is available in L, S and LE trims. For the 2013 model year, all Corolla trims get a new front grille. The LE trim gets a chrome grille and a chrome-accented beltline. Photos of the updates won't be available until September, according to Toyota North American representatives. Both LE and S trims get a 6.1-inch touch-screen display with USB connectivity and Bluetooth streaming audio, standard. The S trim sees a $240 price increase, and the LE trim gets a $270 price increase.

The LE is available with two new packages, and the S with three new packages, including a Premium Complete Package, which comes with navigation and Toyota's new Entune multimedia system and automatic climate control. The North American 2013 Toyota Corolla is already in production in Japan (since July 9); Toyota will begin production at its two North American plants in early August.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/07/2013-toyota-corolla-priced-at-17025.html

#42 ·
*Yawn*
Toyotas are made by business men and actuaries in suits using excel spreadsheets and mathematical formulas. The concepts are then presented to the Toyota's board using black and white powerpoint presentations filled with graphs and pie charts. Once the board is sufficiently asleep, dazed or hypnotized, the presenters get the go ahead to continue to make the most plain-jane, boring cars on the market.

But one cannot fault them for doing so- they sell a ton of those cars because their cheap and reliable (and there are a lot of really boring people in the world). And since Toyota isn't trying anything "different", they can turn their attentions to their engines and powertrains and make them rock-solid.

You then get other companies saying "Well, the Toyotas look like a butter sandwich made with white bread, but let's go ahead and pull the engine and drop it into our car".

And you get Lotus. And you get the new BRZ.

So, I fault Toyota for perpetuating the ho-hum daily driver that goes from point A to point B with absolutely no inspiration or attention to fun and excitement, but I must thank them for the engineering of their near bullet proof engines and powertrains.

#44 ·
And you get the new BRZ.
The FR-S/BRZ is actually a Subaru engine in a Subaru chassis, with the exception of Toyota's fuel injection system, transmission, and diff. The design and product planning was headed by Toyota engineers led by Tetsuya Tada and greenlit by Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda. Their corporate culture isn't as stodgy as you think - Akio Toyoda is an actual car guy. He's a pragmatist who understands the boring side of the business, but his own personal ride is a matte black LF-A.

#43 ·

I think VW has learned from Toyota that boring & plain sells well. The new Jetta and the Passat is proving that to them. So like it or not the Corolla which holds the most sold vehicle title in the whole world is teaching everyone how to do it. I owe a 99 Corolla that I use as a DD, bought it for $1300 one owner with 89 k miles, 205,000 later I have only changed brake pads and tires on it, everything else is still factory on it!!!

That is the main reason people buy these car..........reliable and economical transportation.

People shopping for these are not looking for anything over the top looking and can care less how faster their counterparts are on this segment. At the end of the day and 8-10 years later that same toyota is still on the road selling for a premium while the competition well.....are sitting at salvage yards.

That my friend is the difference bewteeen the Corolla and the rest of the world.

#48 ·
The '03-07ish Corolla was probably the most boring looking one but the best driver (since the '80s anyway). The XRS model with the 2ZZ-GE 180hp engine was almost believably sporty. My wife had a 2001 Corolla S when we met, it was horrible. I eventually put KYB struts on it and it wasn't bad after that, but only compared to a stock Civic or something.

But all through those eras there were good Corollas overseas. There was a 160-170hp 1.6L 20-valve engine which came in a Corolla coupe in Japan and a hatch in Europe all through the '90s, and those cars were pretty decent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.