Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MT Comparison - 2013 Buick Verano Turbo vs. 2013 Acura ILX

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-10-2012 11:24 PM #26
      We live in a world where even Buick > Honda! That speaks volumes as to how far behind Honda has fallen!
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      10-10-2012 11:31 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      More or less true, but the 2013 TSX starts at $31,405 including destination.
      Meh, like I said, I bought mine at ~$28.4k or so before TTL.

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      10-10-2012 11:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      We live in a world where even Buick > Honda! That speaks volumes as to how far behind Honda has fallen!
      More like we live in a world where German engineering>Everything.

Vehicles
      Sonic RS
      10-10-2012 11:33 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      The only difference between the two is one seems to be more quiet and isolated and the other more playful and boisterous, there are people who prefer one or the other.
      This is spot on. I think the only overlap in audience for the "performance" variants of these cars consists of young-ish professionals who want something small but with a premium badge. I know people like this who would a) not want to be bothered driving stick to get the powerful 2.4 ILX and b) never drive something so boring, isolated, and old man-ish like the Verano. So there, each can have their own pick.

If Acura wants to appeal to an older generation trying to downsize, people who generally want more power in their car, the new I4 from the Accord (as mentioned a few posts above) would make a nice base engine in the ILX.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-10-2012 11:38 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      More like we live in a world where German engineering>Everything.

Current Astra seems to be the best one yet.... still lags behind Golf (and derivatives) when it comes to overall package.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      10-10-2012 11:41 PM #31
      More or less true, but the 2013 TSX starts at $31,405 including destination.
      Not sure if it is still going on, but the 2012 tsx had 0.9 financing and a higher profit margin meaning more room to move on price....which made the '12 cheaper to finance then the ilx. I would also opt for a Tsx special edition 6mt over either of these.

7. 10-10-2012 11:51 PM #32
      hmm maybe I'll go see if I can test drive an ilx when i get my airbag checked on monday, hopefully they have a 6spd.

If only the si looked more like the ilx...

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      10-11-2012 12:13 AM #33
      I don't understand how anyone could say this after reading this article. The only place where the Verano did better was in interior noise level and midrange passing power and the difference is negligible at best. If you say one car is a failure then you must accept the other is as well. The only difference between the two is one seems to be more quiet and isolated and the other more playful and boisterous, there are people who prefer one or the other.
      This.

The utter disdain and hyperbole directed at Honda in this place has become quite ridiculous...and predictable. At least one poster on here seriously tried to draw parallels between the ILX and the Cimarron in another thread.
      I guess my personal beef with the ILX is that it seems as though:

1) Honda purposefully cut corners and cheapened out the current Civic to make room for the ILX. The ILX is what the Civic should have been IMHO.
      2) The ILX in this comparison test to me doesn't seem worth much of the extra $$$ over the Civic Si. Even MT said it, "Meanwhile, the ILX puts in a solid effort to broaden Acura's reach, but doesn't separate itself enough from its Honda-badged cousin."

With the Verano, you're getting higher quality materials all around, much quieter interior, turbo engine option, better features, etc. compared to a Cruze. The ILX just doesn't strike me as offering much other than a new interior and a fresh exterior compared to the Civic Si.

You also can't even get the 2.4 with tech package/Nav. What kind of stupid s**t is that? A Civic Si with navigation has an MSRP of $24,845, this ILX with no Nav is $30,095. Where the hell did the $5,200 go? If Acura were to ever offer Nav on the ILX 2.4, you could probably look to tack another $1,000 on top of that price.

3) And it's not just me, even customers don't seem to be lining up to get the ILX:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ra-projections
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      10-11-2012 12:24 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

With the Verano, you're getting higher quality materials all around, much quieter interior, turbo engine option, better features, etc. compared to a Cruze. The ILX just doesn't strike me as offering much other than a new interior and a fresh exterior compared to the Civic Si.

You also can't even get the 2.4 with tech package/Nav. What kind of stupid s**t is that? A Civic Si with navigation has an MSRP of $24,845, this ILX with no Nav is $30,095. Where the hell did the $5,200 go? If Acura were to ever offer Nav on the ILX 2.4, you could probably look to tack another $1,000 on top of that ]
      Your getting higher quality materials all around, much quieter interior, and better features with the ilx as well when compared to the civic.

I agree, it's stupid you can't get nav with the 2.4. Some of the price is justified in that you are Getting a slightly larger car with better quality materials, better features (keyless entry, pandora, leather, back up camera, hid's, etc), a quieter cabin, better suspension, better dealer service and better warranty. But I said this before, the car is still over priced. If the ILX was 2K cheaper..it would sell much better. If you look at sales numbers, the TSX sales have gone down, which tells me a lot of people who would have bought a TSX have settled for the slightly cheaper and newer ILX. So it is stealing TSX sales to an extent, yet isn't cheap enough to attract many new buyers to Acura.....which is what it was designed to do.
      Last edited by a2a4raddo; 10-11-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2003 Subaru Baja
      10-11-2012 01:10 AM #35
      As much as I love the feel of torque that comes from a turbo, I think I would end up with the ILX over the Verano. It seems to be a bit more athletic, despite having a 50 hp and almost 100 tq disadvantage. Also, I used to have an Acura and absolutely loved the dealership experience. And I just don't think I'm old enough yet to own a Buick.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Corvette Stingray, 2015 Cadillac Escalade
      10-11-2012 06:42 AM #36
      I don't understand how anyone could say this after reading this article. The only place where the Verano did better was in interior noise level and midrange passing power and the difference is negligible at best. If you say one car is a failure then you must accept the other is as well. The only difference between the two is one seems to be more quiet and isolated and the other more playful and boisterous, there are people who prefer one or the other.

Personally I think both are nice vehicle, my only problem with them is I feel both are about $5K overpriced.
      While I agree about the exaggeration, in this day in age pretty much all OEM's products are pretty well executed. Even though the Si is still fun to drive (and so is the ILX) for everyday driving, quietness, and steering feel, and critically, a better ICE setup and slightly better front seats, and you have a car in the Buick that is better as a daily, and can keep up with the Si and is an entertaining drive all the same. The Buick is a better resolved product.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Corvette Stingray, 2015 Cadillac Escalade
      10-11-2012 07:44 AM #37
      The Buick deserved the win, no doubt about it. It was shameful of Honda to launch this vehicle without the Earth Dreams engines that are just around the corner IMO.

With that said, if you buy your cars, I would bet the Acura will command far more when it comes time to trade it in than the Buick.

Edit: Maybe I should read the article before posting next time (what a novel concept). I'm honestly shocked that the ILX was not only faster, but returned better fuel economy (+2.7 MPGs). Couple this with the better shifter in the ILX and I know where my money would go, slightly noisy cabin or not.
      I can't say more, but those MT numbers are very conservative. But those trap speeds should give everyone a clue.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      03-12-2013 12:38 PM #38

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/12/2...arison-review/
      First impressions are critical – emotional appeal is what moves most cars out of the showroom – so after a brief orientation, we parked the two compact luxury sedans side-by-side and took a good look at each.

Between the two, it was the Verano's design that stole all of the attention. The sedan has a fresh, upscale and purposeful design that we felt definitely projected a more premium vibe. Phillips: "At first blush, the Buick really stands out to me as an attractive car, in part due to the blue paint and the beautiful brown leather interior. I know Buick has made an effort to build a car for a younger demographic, and in this car, they've succeeded." Yet there was some dissent. Thibault called out GM's platform sharing immediately: "It's clearly a Chevrolet Cruze... and I'm not sure if Buick's design language does enough to attract younger buyers, especially with those rear chrome eyebrows." We all felt that the Verano's "Angry Bird" rear lights were a bit distracting, and we also found it odd that GM declined to spill the beans on our tester's turbocharged powerplant. "There should be visual differentiators like wheels and fascia, and performance indicators like a lower sport suspension and brakes," said Thibault. "The only indicator is a little red 'T' badge on the trunklid."

The Acura ILX isn't a bad-looking sedan either, but its bland overall design means it has an even more difficult time removing itself from its Honda roots. "Looks a lot like the Civic," said Thibault before peering inside. "The styling appears to reflect a 'make it work' attitude and the interior design borrows from Acura's design language, but in a more minimal way," he added. Upon closer inspection, all of us agreed that the fit and finish were below what we expected from a premium brand. Everything from the inexpensive appearing headlight assembly to the unsubstantial sound of the doors closing reminded us more of a Honda.
      Buick also took top mentions for interior appointments, build quality and comfort with its warm and inviting cabin. "The interior is at the level of a luxury sedan, just smaller," said Thibault in a subtle reference to its bigger LaCrosse sibling. We likewise expected premium materials in the ILX, especially as Acura is better established as a premium marque, but the small sedan let us down. Its interior wasn't even as nice as the emergency-refresh 2013 Civic. "I've seen better leather on a Kia," blasted Thibault. Rumor has it that Acura will be making a few Civic-like upgrades to the ILX in the near future, and it can't come soon enough.
      Buick's hot little turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine emerged as a workhorse, pulling the Verano strongly up each of the mountains. "Lots of power once the turbo kicks in," said Kyle over the radio, verbally expressing what each of us had been thinking the whole time. But a good engine is nothing without a competent transmission, and that's exactly where the Buick fell on its face. Its sloppy six-speed gearbox soon attracted a storm of complaints: "The manual transmission seems like an afterthought in the Verano Turbo, feeling vague and uncommunicative. In fact, the gearing of the six-speed transmission feels far too high, often leaving the turbo-four out of its powerband," said a frustrated Phillips. When the engine was spun to redline, the fuel flow was abruptly cut resulting in an immediate loss of power. This annoyed all of us, but it particularly chafed Thibault: "The very aggressive rev limiter is incredibly annoying. This frustrating and awkward manual transmission is the reason people don't buy manuals anymore – why even offer a stick shift if it's going to be this bad?"

The engine in the Acura, an automaker long known for its wonderful naturally aspirated four-cylinder mills, screamed effortlessly all the way to its soft redline with each throw of its short-shift lever. Power was obviously down compared to the Buick, but the shorter gearing and more precise shifter action in the ILX made it the favorite in the mountains. "Great Honda engine note all the way past 7,200 rpm... and the manual transmission is fun – clutch and shifter are robust and offer quick shifts." More test notes: "The ILX sounds like a racecar for the street. While it may not be the most pleasant thing to listen to on the freeway as it hovers above 3,000 rpm, it's an addictive noise when you're engaged in spirited driving."
      After the first stop, halfway up the mountain, everyone fought over the keys to the Acura. It didn't seem to have the power or even the lateral grip of the Buick, but it was much more communicative in terms of steering, chassis and throttle response. "The ILX is undoubtedly the better car to throw around on a canyon road," said Phillips matter-of-factly. "Not that many buyers will purchase it for this type of mission, but the car is certainly capable of an entertaining Sunday drive." The steering on the Buick felt artificial and vague, and its superior cabin isolation was discomforting when pushed hard, as the drive felt disconnected from the pavement. Said Thibaut succinctly: "I can't communicate with the road in the Verano."

A similar lack of engagement was found with the Buick's manual gearbox, as it seemed out of place. The Verano's clutch pedal felt disconnected, and its shifter sloppy. Some of us complained about missing shifts. The Acura, on the other hand, was nearly perfect with a smooth clutch and tactile lever action. "The ILX's shifter is its saving grace, allowing for gear changes that are both accurate and lightning fast with a flick of the wrist," said Drew. Everybody agreed.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      03-12-2013 01:05 PM #39
      Interesting results considering that the few ILX defenders on here say that the ILX is an engine refresh away from embarassing the Verano.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-12-2013 01:27 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I don't like the ILX, at all. But, call me shallow, I don't want to own a Buick. IMO, at $28k, my TSX is a better choice than either of those,
      I can't agree about the Buick part--I'd own an Enclave or Verano if I had the need. But I do absolutely agree about the TSX (and I hate the way they look). Apart from the fact the Nav system is horrible (at least last I looked in late 2011, the nav graphics were awful), it's a far better value than the ILX.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Golf 1.8T (sold), 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (sold), 2012 Mustang GT (current)
      03-12-2013 01:31 PM #41
      I want to like GM on more occasions but too often their products are half-baked.

The only consistent efforts they produce are the Corvette, Silverado, and recent CTS/ATS.

I think they still have too many manufacturers and not enough focus/organization. When committed, they are capable of great efforts. Too often though they don't create a complete package, IMO.

They should develp products with a mission instead of trying to be all things to all people. The Verano has a great engine, why neuter it with a fuel efficient transmission? That's what the other Verano models are for.
      2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evoluton X (current)
      2008 Honda Civic Si (wife's)
      2012 Mustang GT (sold)
      2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (sold)
      2001 VW Golf 1.8T (sold)

Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Boss 302
      03-12-2013 02:04 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      The Verano has a great engine, why neuter it with a fuel efficient transmission? That's what the other Verano models are for.
      Need to meet FE targets, especially since the Verano isn't a lightweight.

GM never gears their cars that aggressively anyway, save for the big heavy manual V8's ie GTO, CTS-V, 1LE.

Most all of these cars will be autos anyway.

18. 03-12-2013 02:15 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Simple. The Verano doesn't seem like a tarted up Cruze while the ILX seems like an expensive Civic.
      Both cars thankfully are not simple rebadges (e.g.: the Verano is not a Cruze with a badge and grille swap). However sit in the ILX and it feels far less distanced from a Civic than the distance between a Verano and a Cruze.

19. Banned
      03-12-2013 02:42 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Why doesn't the ILX have the Si's limited-slip differential?
      Cannibalize CSi sales then.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      03-12-2013 02:43 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Most all of these cars will be autos anyway.
      The ILX 2.4 only comes in a manual

Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Both cars thankfully are not simple rebadges (e.g.: the Verano is not a Cruze with a badge and grille swap). However sit in the ILX and it feels far less distanced from a Civic than the distance between a Verano and a Cruze.
      Not so sure about that. When I sat in each, from the driver's perspective, the ILX was quite different from the Civic, while the look of the verano, while more upscale, was unmistakeably derived from the Cruze or vice versa.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      03-12-2013 02:53 PM #46
      Interesting that the ILX is a legitimately fun drive. Maybe someone could go as far as calling it a four door modern RSX.

The Verano is sort of ... a spork. A really nice spork made of nicely burnished steel with engraved floral pattern. However, it can't deliver as much pasta as a fork, or as much soup as a spoon. But it is nice at least.

The Verano is outselling the ILX 3 to 1 so I guess it works.

03-12-2013 02:58 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Are you sure you've been in a Civic and a ILX? The difference is huge. The dash on the Acura is so squishy it is like a dash strokers dream. The touch points and buttons in the car all feel much nicer. And the doors shut with a greater feeling of solidity.

The Buick doesn't seem that much nicer than the Cruze to me. The plastics are nicer in spots, but the Cruze already feels so robust and well screwed together I didn't find the difference as great as the Civic/ILX. I also think the Cruze looks nicer on the outside. In black especially a loaded Cruze looks sportier than overly chrome laden Buick.
      2015 Subaru WRX Limited (World Rally Blue Pearl)
      2015 Kia Soul + (Caribbean Blue Special Edition)
      Quote Originally Posted by Racinger
      As for the rest of the VW line up we all know they are sports cars dressed up as commuter cars. A fact that explains the enormous worldwide success of their fine automobiles.

23. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      03-12-2013 03:01 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by DrewSXR View Post
      What's the deal with Honda and noise levels, do they not put any sound insulation in their cars or something?

Seems like a problem since the beginning of time.
      There's no magic behind why one company's car is lighter than the other.

Both brands service the same segment/class at the same price range, so it's not like one is using CF or exotic materials. Given everything else is equal the reason for the louder Honda is likely due to LESS INSULATION. It affords them less mass, too, I bet (I haven't checked curb weights.).

Trade Offs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12